I crammed a lot into a week but only sort of because I did not really keep up. If you came here you could tell by the floors and other clues. BUT I think the next week I will be home and not even go to get groceries and catch up.
One of the nicest things this week was picking wildflowers and I also have some flowers and Bay Leaves from Mum's garden. Somehow I forgot how uplifting it is to have flowers in the house. When I walk into a room I see them and just love them! And there are many weeks ahead I can pick more. I have my eyes on some spots that I've been year after year that are not quite ready yet.
I also am making up a bouquet for someone as a gift. Spread the joy a little bit.
Mum has several huge Bay trees. I am drying a big lot to store and also package for Christmas.
Since watching Urban QLD Homestead I bought a good pie maker. It makes a proper bakery sized pie.
On Monday I filled my biggest slow cooker with beef, onions, mushrooms, carrots and tomato base. I let it cook all day and evening to be very tender.
The next day I made pies. I got 28! This tray went to Chloe's and I froze the rest. They are in my ready meals freezer.
When I cut out the top and bases I had a little area in two corners.... I cut these out with a glass and made a whole stack of jam tarts.
Last Friday I had the man in the cabin... he brought me so much wonderful produce. I shared a good amount of this. Then I got to work. The asparagus was beautiful and I ate that with my meals.
I freeze dried a heap of Parsley.
FD'd Spring onions and leeks.
I cooked Spinach and made little frozen "hockey pucks."
I FD'd Thyme, Oregano and a heap of Broccoli.
I decided I am going to make green powder.... which is something I've felt the better than me preservers make and add to cooking. It's brilliant actually. So I have made a start and I am freeze drying some lettuce and parsley to add to that jar. Next week I can do a lot of Silverbeet and soon Broccoli leaves.
I made two tea loaves. I promised this recipe. It turns out I only need to say this is Mary Berrys Earl Grey tea loaf which I double and I just use regular tea. It is delicious and saves you the cost of butter.
Mum made a hat to go with my woollen pram blanket which I love and I kept working on a single bed blanket... which I hope to have finished by this time next week.
Chloe took the kids for a lovely picnic at Nana Pat's hence all the Bay leaves and lovely Lavender.
For my boys afternoon we sifted through sand and rocks looking for fossils! We learned all about fossils for the afternoon.
I have a new oven. My old over was fifty years old and I loved it. But less and less has been working. It was really hard to see it go as it was a beauty. But now I have another beauty. I have no idea how to use it yet and I need a little it of carpentry work done to fit it in. But this is a big asset to future cooking.
I think it's actually important enough to read the instruction book over the weekend. This was also a brilliant way to avoid cleaning the old oven again! 😎
We need to finish up the burn piles. The boys and I got this one going and it went all through the night into the next day.
I went into town today and came home with great finds including sweet tiny plant pots for succulents to make up with the boys for Christmas gifts. (I already have the little succulents growing in the egg cartons.)
As usual on a Friday I still have things in the car to unpack tomorrow but food is away. I had avocado on toast for dinner and I am done!
It is warm enough this weekend to need to water my seedlings.... but hopefully this will help some seeds come up. Also I am letting the cows eat down the driveway grass and all around the chook yard which will feed them and mow the whole area. Plus they love it and it is funny having them in around the house.
The lambs are eating well now and will eventually get the orchard grass under control.
I hope you had a good week with lots of little victories with your pantry/garden and other ways of getting ahead a little bit. I found a couple of beautiful bargains to add to the Christmas gift cupboard so I am happy about that. The cost of food, fuel and pretty much everything is rising. Everyone is feeling it. In fact there is a lot of worry. The man who stayed in the cabin... he returned home to find 300 or his co workers lost their jobs on Monday. He still has his but many of his friends don't. That is pretty bleak for a country town. Stay alert and whatever you can do, do it. xxx
I forgot about everything else you posted about the moment I saw that oven! I couldn’t even be sad for your old oven. It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen 😍 Practical and beautiful, two of my favourite things. I can’t wait to hear/see how it goes, no doubt it will be a learning curve but worth it in the end!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely week Annabel
From Cheryl 🪺
Agree with Cheryl! Wowsers!
DeleteThank you both! Well Ive been cooking with the cook top and Im reading the book! xxx
DeleteAnnabel, what a lovely week you have had. Congratulations on the stove being delivered and set in place, it is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThe boys have to be so excited coming to your home and doing amazing things with you.
Your cooking looks amazing and your and Mum's needlework is beautiful.
We had a busy travel week here, husband had a class and we left on a Sunday, of course traffic was heavy. I was amazed with the amount of traffic on the road with the high cost of gasoline.
We tried to keep meal prices down and had breakfast for free at the hotel. We used a gas app to find the most affordable pricing.
We purchased some produce from the Amish that were set up at a service area. Just being able to get the tomatoes was worth the stop.
Happy we are home now, though all the work that is waiting for me is daunting.
May all the Bluebirds have a wonderful weekend ahead.
Dear Rosanne, Nice homegrown tomatoes would be good. Yes the boys have loved their adventures and collections. I hadn't even thought of what to do this week! I would love to even go to an Amish store! That sounds wonderful! With love Annabel.xxx
DeleteYour new stove is gorgeous. In the past, appliances were built to last.
ReplyDeleteI use so many bay leaves, but they don't grow here. I buy them in large pound bags and vacuum seal them in canning jars.
Much love,
Glenda
Dear Glenda, Thank you!! Bay Leaves have so many benefits. Yes things were built beautifully and lasted forever! I hope this stove lasts as long! With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteOh Annabelle thank you, thank you, for your lovely uplifting blog with beautiful pictures and encouraging stories. You are a gifted photographer. Do you use a special camera? I take photos on my iPhone but I have never found a place to develop pictures that turn out nice. Everything is on my phone. My heart is sad to read of the 300 who suddenly lost their jobs. 😕. This world is a mess and if I didn’t have the hope of heaven I would be so depressed! This world is not my home. I’m just a passing through If heavens not my home then Lord, what would I do? 🎶 It has been unusually hot this summer here in the south but it looks like we will have less heat (can’t say cool) in a few days. I am off to the farm store shortly and will try to consolidate some errands to save gas. Diesel just went above $6.00/gallon. Regular is around $4. It’s nice to just stay home and work around the garden and house. Yesterday our son picked up a trailer load of very nice compost. I laugh to think how silly it seems for this grandma to get excited about real old fashioned quality “dirt” (compost). 😁 Have a wonderful week everyone. Keep on keeping on and trust in the dear Lord.
ReplyDeleteVicky.
Dear Vicky, Thank you very much. No I dont have a camera just a phone. Online you can just choose any photo printing mob and upload what you want printed and they post them to you any quality, any size.
DeleteTrue... we are pilgrims passing though doing our best. I would not cope a day without God. I love compost too, we are gardeners!! Thank you so much, with love Annabel.xxx
Greetings from the mountains of southwest Virginia! You had quite a busy week, Annabel. What a fun idea to have the grands search for fossils! I will have to try that with my grands. This must have been the week to get new appliances. We had to replace our washer and our refrigerator. They were delivered yesterday after a 4 week wait. I was able to do a little feathering the past couple of weeks. I finished canning for the season. My final project was apple butter. I made 14 half pints. I use these mostly when I bake or make pancakes. I found some paper plates on clearance so I added them to my pantry in case we have power outages this winter. It looks like we will finally get some rain over the next few days which will help my fall garden. I planted spinach, kale, lettuce and carrots. The spinach and kale should winter over so we will have greens during the winter. I feel we are ready for fall and winter at the moment. Summer was good to us in the garden. Lots of tomatoes, jams, green beans and corn were put up. Fall is definitely in the air and I am looking forward to the cooler weather. Blessings to all the bluebirds! Marley in the Mountains.
ReplyDeleteDear Marley, I have to say I love new appliances I just dont like it when the old ones die! Well done on such a great batch of apple butter! I also keep paper plates, cups and cutlery for water or power outages. It's a good idea.
DeleteI love Autumn best of all. The seasons are lovely as the change in activities, meals, everything on rotation. We are in full Spring now. It's glorious today! With much love Annabel.xxx
Hi Annabel
ReplyDeleteYour new oven looks great, the old one didn't owe you anything, so nice it lasted so long.
The fossil finding looked like great fun and the blanket and hat will be a welcome gift. You had a good week.
As I type this I have big trays of tomato, aubergine and bell peppers in olive oil roasting in the oven. We will eat some tonight and I will make up packs for the freezer.
I have just finished wrapping cooking apples in newspaper and storing them for the winter in boxes. The bruised/ damaged ones will be prepped and frozen and I plan to cook with some this weekend.
I cut flowers for the house today, this also encourages things like the zinnia and dahlia to keep flowering until the frosts come.
In a charity shop I found two new tunics for myself, this is a big saving. I will retire some things which are washed out.
A friend gave me two packs of flower seed and another gave us a big box of figs. I think I need to preserve some of them, they are ripening too fast to eat them all fresh.
I clutter busted some more and took a car boot full to the tip.
I froze a chicken carcass until I have the time to make stock with it and we have eaten beetroot, sweetcorn, cucumber, courgettes, potatoes, cabbage and tomatoes from the garden.
My husband made a boot and shoe rack to keep things tidier in our conservatory/ porch. He asked at the timber merchants if they had any free offcuts and was a bit overwhelmed at how much he was given! We have more plans!
The boiler engineer said we had a blockage in the oil pipe and suggested we hire a compressor to blow it through. My husband found a long sturdy piece of wire, fed it through the pipe and jiggled it backwards and forwards, there was a whoosh as the blockage cleared and the oil started flowing! The engineer was as surprised and relieved as we were and we are happy we are ready for the winter with our range cooker, it cooks, heats the kitchen and heats water which is all invaluable as it doesn't rely on electricity and has proved it's worth during many power cuts.
Sending good wishes to all Bluebirds whether you are prepping for winter or summer.
Penny in the UK
Dear Penny, I felt I could smell those berries roasting! I am enjoying flowers in my house and I thought of you because it truly is uplifting.
DeleteFigs are beautiful. What a nice gift!
Your husband clearing that blockage was clever!! Also getting the free wood was great! My Mum has an Aga... and it is like this... it keeps the kitchen warm. A very good set up! With much love Annabel.xxx
Dear Annabel,
ReplyDeleteYour new oven is absolutely gorgeous. I can understand why it was hard to see the old one go after so many years, but this one looks like it will be such a wonderful asset to your kitchen. I think reading the instruction book might be worth it too!
I also loved the little hat Mum made to go with your pram blanket. Her matching hats were actually what inspired me to start making beanies to go with my own crochet blankets, so I always enjoy seeing what she has made.
Your week was certainly full, from all the preserving to the pies and Christmas preparations. I also loved your reminder at the end to simply do what we can. There is a lot of quiet wisdom in that.
Have a lovely weekend xox
Dear Stephanie, The hat you made to go with the blues blanket was gorgeous. And usually we have odd bits of yarn let over to get the bonus hat. It is funny some days we have opportunities and can do a lot and somedays not so much... but do what we can! With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteWhat a lovely week! Those boys must have loved looking for fossils in the sand. I recognised your oven right away… I love my Falcon😍 The grill is marvellous for lots of bacon, and the oven trays it comes with are a solid weight and will last for years. I have to check the size of some of my old pans and trays before starting to cook, as the oven sizes are a little tight for some of them. (Once my stove is moved into its ‘forever home’ I will weed out the ones that don’t fit.) Congratulations 🥳
ReplyDeleteThank you! Yes it's a Falcon! My daughter has a black falcon that she inherited with her house. It is so gorgeous! This is what made me choose Falcon. Bit exiting! I measured some of my very favourite cookware and compare oven sizes etc. There are still some dishes I need to check! I haven't tried the gill yet though! Many thanks, With love Annabel.xxx
DeleteDear Annabel, oh my goodness look at that new oven! It’s amazing! I can only imagine the wonderful meals ahead. Beautiful flowers! The photos of the flowers made me happy, I can only imagine in real life. Your grandsons look to be having a wonderful time, what a great activity. I must try those tea loaves. My week was out of routine, but I ended up crocheting and getting the house work done along with the meals, so that’s a win. I visited an op shop and I think prices have even gone up there. I think prices are rising, there are too many factors for it not to rise really. And they keep talking about the dangers of ai, but then it’s so accessible. I can’t work it out. Lots of love, Bridget
ReplyDeleteDear Bridge, Thank you! I am worried about Ai because they can use it to hack anything for the bank account to the electric grid! Good grief! Keep paper copies of things like your bank account. I am learning my way around the oven!! Have a good week! With love Annabel.xxx
DeleteOoh your new oven really is lovely, Annabel! The wildflowers are so pretty. I love the activities you prepare for the boys, they must really enjoy their Thursday dates! The pies look fantastic, 28 pies would be very expensive to buy.
ReplyDeleteI spent last weekend visiting friends back where we used to live. It was so nice. I had a couple of health checks up there as well. I was able to take a housewarming gift and birthday gift for two people from my gift stash. We returned with cheese, mince and vegetables from my favourite stores, so much cheaper than buying from supermarkets where we live now.
We just have one week left of school, this term has been very disrupted with sickness and everyone will benefit from a good rest.
I have some recipes to try, I want to get some Christmas presents made, and some spring cleaning and gardening.
I hope you have a nice calm week ahead!
Jen (NZ)
Dear Jen, I hope everyone is feeling better!! Coming back from a trop with supplies is awesome and also seeing your friends.
DeleteOur kids also break up Friday. And for us it is time to make presents too and assess what I already have! It sounds like holidays are needed with lots of rest and rebuilding! With much love Annabel.xxx
What a beautiful stove/oven! I've never seen anything like that here in the States. What is the top drawer for? I see the oven part, and I guess the side one is a warmer? I love it!
ReplyDeleteHi Kathy, Thank you! The top is a grill so if you want to melt something and brown it... like a toasted sandwich or you want to brown the top of a casserole in a quick minute. I can cook at a different temperature, or warm, on the side. So far I am loving it! With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteDear Annabel, firstly, this weeks post is yet another soothing balm to read over, it is so full of goodness and secondly I would like to tell you and the Bluebirds that I have had a most unexpected week. Sunday night I was setting my mind and week to prepare for major surgery (double mastectomies) in a weeks time. I was woken by my phone on Monday morning 7:45 am from the hospital that is one hours drive from my home asking if I was on my way (they were expecting me to be there at 7am). ??????? Somehow I’d mixed dates up and had written 21st not 14th!?? Oh No! I grabbed my paperwork which clearly said 14th. I am not one for hysterical behavior but I completely lost my mind. I could not even speak. It has been a long 2 year cancer journey for me and this surgery was set and then rescheduled in June due to unforeseen circumstances. However God was still there even in this dark moment for me. The lady was saying that we would need to reschedule, I couldn’t stop crying JUST at that moment my 20 year old daughter pulled up in her car and took over the phone and had the foresight to say What can we do, what if we get in car now? They said ok just drive and we will see if we can do …… much running around, my poor husband driving back from his work. My beautiful surgeon and team rearranged things and I was operated on over the afternoon. I spent 3 nights in hospital. I’m home - in front of the window looking at my mother in laws little garden in a wheelbarrow. A nurse visits everyday and today will remove the 2 drains I have on either side. I am feeling so much better than I’d imagined at this stage. I have very minimal pain, I am only needing panadol. I feel relief and even big bursts of happiness. It is Spring where I live. My husband lets my little bantam hens and handsome little rooster named Octavious out in the afternoon and I smile at their funny little antics. It’s good to be alive!!!! Love Clare
ReplyDeleteDear Clare, i am so happy that the operation went ahead and it was a great success. It is great that you’re not in a great deal of pain too. I find it hard to imagine you would have written the dates wrong, maybe the hospital admin got it wrong. Anyway, do not worry, it all worked out. Lots of love, Bridget
DeleteOh Clare, I'm so happy that the momentary panic was overcome with your daughter's help and the surgical team managed to fit you in. What a relief and a blessing. Prayers for your healing and good health going forward.
DeletePenny
Dear Clare, I cant imagine your panic! But this was a way of avoiding all the pre op stress, you had no time for it and it was done and over so fast! And you have done wonderfully well! Your daughter did a great job with her quick thinking too! Good on her! I hope you are feeling even better now. This is great Clare it is all behind you! With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteAnnabel, with all your vegetable abundance that comes along regularly, have you thought of making veggie bullion cubes to freeze? I watched Moran make these last year and thought how clever! So much healthier than buying stock cubes, and would add marvellous flavour to any kind of soups, casseroles, spaghetti sauces etc :-)
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEldKPGvUrE
What a gorgeous new stove! Have fun with it! :-)
God bless,
Jennifer
Dear Jenny, Thank you! I have been making flavour bombs also Urban LD Homestead. I will check out Morans recipe thank you. At the moment I have masses of Parsley, celery and silverbeet. And nettles! With many thanks, Annabellxxx
DeleteAnnabel your wildflowers are so pretty and putting them in any room of the house would brighten things up. You did so much lovely freeze drying for preserving that will last a long time as well as making all the wonderful pies, jam tarts and tea loaves. The boys look they are having so much fun finding fossils.
ReplyDeleteThis week has mainly been about tilling up uneven ground in the yard and flattening it out so we can have the soil delivered for all the 90cm garden beds we have put up and are in place. It will be nice to have a level area for the truck to back up to to store the soil nearby to the beds so we can start filling them. As there was a bit of spare dirt from the area I filled in a few wheel mark holes from where we drove our car previously too.
I have also been concentrating on going through our walk in pantry and our herbs and spices cupboard and have cleared out some old stock of some, cleaned some pantry shelving off and cleaned inside the herb and spice cupboard and put everything in alphabetical order.
Outside I am pruning a lilac shrub that was getting out of control on a large trellis in the back yard. Pleased to say DH and I have now finished pruning 3/4's of it. I also got outside with my 5lt weed sprayer and sprayed a few areas around fruit trees and fence lines to get rid of a lot of marshmallow weed so happy to say they are slowly withering. We are still in drought here with no water in our canal at the back of the property so have gone into water conservation methods more so but still have quite a bit of water left in two tanks fortunately. Rain predicted hopefully on Wednesday through Friday.
I am continuing with my pantry challenge that I started in June so we are going through a lot of excess food storage that we had that will bring levels down to what we are eating now compared to before.
Prices are certainly rising on everything and 91 fuel here is currently $2.27 per litre. Just got our car and trailer insurances and land rates and water bills in which are paid and have both gone up another 6% in a year which is higher of course than CPI and of course wage increases. No wonder most families are having trouble meeting all of these price rise expenses.
Have a wonderfully frugal week ahead all Bluebirds
Lorna.
Dear Lorna, I love Lilacs how beautiful to have one. Your new garden beds will be fantastic. How exciting! You are right about basically every bill going up, fuel and food... and we are a land of long distances... All the things we have set up from pantry to garden, tanks and even the woodpile... have all been good investments. I really do hope you get some rain to top up the tanks and help the garden. We had a light shower today which is just enough to fresh things up. With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteOh, Annabel!
ReplyDeleteWhat precious photos of Chase! Lovely flowers and pies. Congratulations on the new stove.
Your breads and jam tarts look so tasty. 😋
My week was full of using up leftovers creatively. Taco meat and cooked potato chunks went into breakfast burritos. Shredded pork, corn, and potato chunks went into a stew. Turkey loaf got chopped up and used as a substitute for chicken in Buffalo Chicken Dip.
It is Autumn now. So my youngest daughter and I stopped at the farm stand for pumpkins yesterday.
And I picked zinnias from the garden to enjoy on the dining table.
Must get to processing tomatoes and baking apple crumble muffins for the week.
Prayers for all the Bluebirds,
Leslie (OH)
Dear Leslie, Thank you! Your meals sound very good and apple crumble and muffins sound beautiful too. And flowers inside... they really do brighten things up. I love pumpkins. Even the look of them lined up! You are busy with good things! With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteWhat a beautiful oven! How fun and good to learn how to use it and enjoy baking this spring! Your flowers bouquets will be such a blessing to you and others!
ReplyDeleteI'm recovering from my surgery well. Now that I'm not supposed to lift anything. I'm finding creative ways to do things like laundry. But if I'm honest. I'm really sewing and eating from the freezer. There will be a time to refill soon. The sewing is going nicely, and you're right. It makes me happy!
Many blessings to you and the Bluebirds!
Stacy in Virginia
Dear Stacy, I am so glad you are recovering well. I am happy you are swing and have handy meals on hand. Yes you will re build them when you can but this is exactly what they are for. Times like these! With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteI made a big pot of vegetable soup last week and decided to can the leftovers. I'd purchased commercial canned soup, and it was a 'quality' brand, but it did NOT taste good to me. I figured if I could can my own it was bound to taste better, so I did and now have nine pints of good homemade soup on hand. I'm going to look and see what other kinds of soup I might can because I really could eat soup at least once a day and be very happy about it!
ReplyDeleteDear Terri, You homemade soup would be much better. If you keep some soup going every week through autumn and winter that would be healthy, economical and yummy. My favourite is pumpkin and second is broccoli. With much love Annabel.xxx
Delete