Feather your Nest Friday, 18th September, 2026.

I crammed a lot into a week but only sort of because I did not really keep up.   If you came here you could tell by the floors and other clues.  BUT I think the next week I will be home and not even go to get groceries and catch up.

One of the nicest things this week was picking wildflowers and I also have some flowers and Bay Leaves from Mum's garden.   Somehow I forgot how uplifting it is to have flowers in the house.   When I walk into a room I see them and just love them!  And there are many weeks ahead I can pick more.  I have my eyes on some spots that I've been year after year that are not quite ready yet.   

I also am making up a bouquet for someone as a gift.   Spread the joy a little bit.











Mum has several huge Bay trees.  I am drying a big lot to store and also package for Christmas. 





Since watching Urban QLD Homestead I bought a good pie maker.   It makes a proper bakery sized pie.





On Monday I filled my biggest slow cooker with beef, onions, mushrooms, carrots and tomato base.   I let it cook all day and evening to be very tender.

The next day I made pies.  I got 28!    This tray went to Chloe's  and I froze the rest.   They are in my ready meals freezer.  






When I cut out the top and bases I had a little area in two corners.... I cut these out with a glass and made a whole stack of jam tarts.






Last Friday I had the man in the cabin... he brought me so much wonderful produce.  I shared a good amount of this.   Then I got to work.   The asparagus was beautiful and I ate that with my meals. 

I freeze dried a heap of Parsley.
FD'd Spring onions and leeks.
I cooked Spinach and made little frozen "hockey pucks."
I FD'd Thyme,  Oregano and a heap of Broccoli.




I decided I am going to make green powder.... which is something I've felt the better than me preservers make and add to cooking.  It's brilliant actually.    So I have made a start and I am freeze drying some lettuce and parsley to add to that jar.   Next week I can do a lot of Silverbeet and soon Broccoli leaves.


I made two tea loaves.  I promised this recipe.  It turns out I only need to say this is Mary Berrys Earl Grey tea loaf which I double and I just use regular tea.  It is delicious and saves you the cost of butter.


 



Mum made a hat to go with my woollen pram blanket which I love and I kept working on a single bed blanket... which I hope to have finished by this time next week.







Chloe took the kids for a lovely picnic at Nana Pat's hence all the Bay leaves and lovely Lavender.







For my boys afternoon we sifted through sand and rocks looking for fossils!   We learned all about fossils for the afternoon.










I have a new oven.  My old over was fifty years old and I loved it.  But less and less has been working.  It was really hard to see it go as it was a beauty.   But now I have another beauty.   I have no idea how to use it yet and I need a little it of carpentry work done to fit it in.   But this is a big asset to future cooking. 


I think it's actually important enough to read the instruction book over the weekend.  This was also a brilliant way to avoid cleaning the old oven again! 😎






We need to finish up the burn piles.  The boys and I got this one going and it went all through the night into the next day.






I went into town today and came home with great finds including sweet tiny plant pots for succulents to make up with the boys for Christmas gifts.  (I already have the little succulents growing in the egg cartons.)

As usual on a Friday I still have things in the car to unpack tomorrow but food is away.   I had avocado on toast for dinner and I am done!  

It is warm enough this weekend to need to water my seedlings.... but hopefully this will help some seeds come up.   Also I am letting the cows eat down the driveway grass and all around the chook yard which will feed them and mow the whole area.  Plus they love it and it is funny having them in around the house. 

The lambs are eating well now and will eventually get the orchard grass under control. 

I hope you had a good week with lots of little victories with your pantry/garden and other ways of getting ahead a little bit.  I found a couple of beautiful bargains to add to the Christmas gift cupboard so I am happy about that.   The cost of food, fuel and pretty much everything is rising.  Everyone is feeling it.   In fact there is a lot of worry.   The man who stayed in the cabin... he returned home to find 300 or his co workers lost their jobs on Monday.  He still has his but many of his friends don't. That is pretty bleak for a country town.  Stay alert and whatever you can do, do it. xxx





Comments

  1. I forgot about everything else you posted about the moment I saw that oven! I couldn’t even be sad for your old oven. It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen 😍 Practical and beautiful, two of my favourite things. I can’t wait to hear/see how it goes, no doubt it will be a learning curve but worth it in the end!

    Have a lovely week Annabel

    From Cheryl 🪺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annabel, what a lovely week you have had. Congratulations on the stove being delivered and set in place, it is beautiful.
    The boys have to be so excited coming to your home and doing amazing things with you.
    Your cooking looks amazing and your and Mum's needlework is beautiful.

    We had a busy travel week here, husband had a class and we left on a Sunday, of course traffic was heavy. I was amazed with the amount of traffic on the road with the high cost of gasoline.
    We tried to keep meal prices down and had breakfast for free at the hotel. We used a gas app to find the most affordable pricing.
    We purchased some produce from the Amish that were set up at a service area. Just being able to get the tomatoes was worth the stop.
    Happy we are home now, though all the work that is waiting for me is daunting.
    May all the Bluebirds have a wonderful weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new stove is gorgeous. In the past, appliances were built to last.
    I use so many bay leaves, but they don't grow here. I buy them in large pound bags and vacuum seal them in canning jars.
    Much love,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Annabelle thank you, thank you, for your lovely uplifting blog with beautiful pictures and encouraging stories. You are a gifted photographer. Do you use a special camera? I take photos on my iPhone but I have never found a place to develop pictures that turn out nice. Everything is on my phone. My heart is sad to read of the 300 who suddenly lost their jobs. 😕. This world is a mess and if I didn’t have the hope of heaven I would be so depressed! This world is not my home. I’m just a passing through If heavens not my home then Lord, what would I do? 🎶 It has been unusually hot this summer here in the south but it looks like we will have less heat (can’t say cool) in a few days. I am off to the farm store shortly and will try to consolidate some errands to save gas. Diesel just went above $6.00/gallon. Regular is around $4. It’s nice to just stay home and work around the garden and house. Yesterday our son picked up a trailer load of very nice compost. I laugh to think how silly it seems for this grandma to get excited about real old fashioned quality “dirt” (compost). 😁 Have a wonderful week everyone. Keep on keeping on and trust in the dear Lord.
    Vicky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from the mountains of southwest Virginia! You had quite a busy week, Annabel. What a fun idea to have the grands search for fossils! I will have to try that with my grands. This must have been the week to get new appliances. We had to replace our washer and our refrigerator. They were delivered yesterday after a 4 week wait. I was able to do a little feathering the past couple of weeks. I finished canning for the season. My final project was apple butter. I made 14 half pints. I use these mostly when I bake or make pancakes. I found some paper plates on clearance so I added them to my pantry in case we have power outages this winter. It looks like we will finally get some rain over the next few days which will help my fall garden. I planted spinach, kale, lettuce and carrots. The spinach and kale should winter over so we will have greens during the winter. I feel we are ready for fall and winter at the moment. Summer was good to us in the garden. Lots of tomatoes, jams, green beans and corn were put up. Fall is definitely in the air and I am looking forward to the cooler weather. Blessings to all the bluebirds! Marley in the Mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annabel
    Your new oven looks great, the old one didn't owe you anything, so nice it lasted so long.
    The fossil finding looked like great fun and the blanket and hat will be a welcome gift. You had a good week.
    As I type this I have big trays of tomato, aubergine and bell peppers in olive oil roasting in the oven. We will eat some tonight and I will make up packs for the freezer.
    I have just finished wrapping cooking apples in newspaper and storing them for the winter in boxes. The bruised/ damaged ones will be prepped and frozen and I plan to cook with some this weekend.
    I cut flowers for the house today, this also encourages things like the zinnia and dahlia to keep flowering until the frosts come.
    In a charity shop I found two new tunics for myself, this is a big saving. I will retire some things which are washed out.
    A friend gave me two packs of flower seed and another gave us a big box of figs. I think I need to preserve some of them, they are ripening too fast to eat them all fresh.
    I clutter busted some more and took a car boot full to the tip.
    I froze a chicken carcass until I have the time to make stock with it and we have eaten beetroot, sweetcorn, cucumber, courgettes, potatoes, cabbage and tomatoes from the garden.
    My husband made a boot and shoe rack to keep things tidier in our conservatory/ porch. He asked at the timber merchants if they had any free offcuts and was a bit overwhelmed at how much he was given! We have more plans!
    The boiler engineer said we had a blockage in the oil pipe and suggested we hire a compressor to blow it through. My husband found a long sturdy piece of wire, fed it through the pipe and jiggled it backwards and forwards, there was a whoosh as the blockage cleared and the oil started flowing! The engineer was as surprised and relieved as we were and we are happy we are ready for the winter with our range cooker, it cooks, heats the kitchen and heats water which is all invaluable as it doesn't rely on electricity and has proved it's worth during many power cuts.
    Sending good wishes to all Bluebirds whether you are prepping for winter or summer.
    Penny in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Annabel,

    Your new oven is absolutely gorgeous. I can understand why it was hard to see the old one go after so many years, but this one looks like it will be such a wonderful asset to your kitchen. I think reading the instruction book might be worth it too!

    I also loved the little hat Mum made to go with your pram blanket. Her matching hats were actually what inspired me to start making beanies to go with my own crochet blankets, so I always enjoy seeing what she has made.

    Your week was certainly full, from all the preserving to the pies and Christmas preparations. I also loved your reminder at the end to simply do what we can. There is a lot of quiet wisdom in that.

    Have a lovely weekend xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely week! Those boys must have loved looking for fossils in the sand. I recognised your oven right away… I love my Falcon😍 The grill is marvellous for lots of bacon, and the oven trays it comes with are a solid weight and will last for years. I have to check the size of some of my old pans and trays before starting to cook, as the oven sizes are a little tight for some of them. (Once my stove is moved into its ‘forever home’ I will weed out the ones that don’t fit.) Congratulations 🥳

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Annabel, oh my goodness look at that new oven! It’s amazing! I can only imagine the wonderful meals ahead. Beautiful flowers! The photos of the flowers made me happy, I can only imagine in real life. Your grandsons look to be having a wonderful time, what a great activity. I must try those tea loaves. My week was out of routine, but I ended up crocheting and getting the house work done along with the meals, so that’s a win. I visited an op shop and I think prices have even gone up there. I think prices are rising, there are too many factors for it not to rise really. And they keep talking about the dangers of ai, but then it’s so accessible. I can’t work it out. Lots of love, Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh your new oven really is lovely, Annabel! The wildflowers are so pretty. I love the activities you prepare for the boys, they must really enjoy their Thursday dates! The pies look fantastic, 28 pies would be very expensive to buy.

    I spent last weekend visiting friends back where we used to live. It was so nice. I had a couple of health checks up there as well. I was able to take a housewarming gift and birthday gift for two people from my gift stash. We returned with cheese, mince and vegetables from my favourite stores, so much cheaper than buying from supermarkets where we live now.

    We just have one week left of school, this term has been very disrupted with sickness and everyone will benefit from a good rest.

    I have some recipes to try, I want to get some Christmas presents made, and some spring cleaning and gardening.

    I hope you have a nice calm week ahead!

    Jen (NZ)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful stove/oven! I've never seen anything like that here in the States. What is the top drawer for? I see the oven part, and I guess the side one is a warmer? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Annabel, firstly, this weeks post is yet another soothing balm to read over, it is so full of goodness and secondly I would like to tell you and the Bluebirds that I have had a most unexpected week. Sunday night I was setting my mind and week to prepare for major surgery (double mastectomies) in a weeks time. I was woken by my phone on Monday morning 7:45 am from the hospital that is one hours drive from my home asking if I was on my way (they were expecting me to be there at 7am). ??????? Somehow I’d mixed dates up and had written 21st not 14th!?? Oh No! I grabbed my paperwork which clearly said 14th. I am not one for hysterical behavior but I completely lost my mind. I could not even speak. It has been a long 2 year cancer journey for me and this surgery was set and then rescheduled in June due to unforeseen circumstances. However God was still there even in this dark moment for me. The lady was saying that we would need to reschedule, I couldn’t stop crying JUST at that moment my 20 year old daughter pulled up in her car and took over the phone and had the foresight to say What can we do, what if we get in car now? They said ok just drive and we will see if we can do …… much running around, my poor husband driving back from his work. My beautiful surgeon and team rearranged things and I was operated on over the afternoon. I spent 3 nights in hospital. I’m home - in front of the window looking at my mother in laws little garden in a wheelbarrow. A nurse visits everyday and today will remove the 2 drains I have on either side. I am feeling so much better than I’d imagined at this stage. I have very minimal pain, I am only needing panadol. I feel relief and even big bursts of happiness. It is Spring where I live. My husband lets my little bantam hens and handsome little rooster named Octavious out in the afternoon and I smile at their funny little antics. It’s good to be alive!!!! Love Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Clare, i am so happy that the operation went ahead and it was a great success. It is great that you’re not in a great deal of pain too. I find it hard to imagine you would have written the dates wrong, maybe the hospital admin got it wrong. Anyway, do not worry, it all worked out. Lots of love, Bridget

      Delete
  13. Annabel, with all your vegetable abundance that comes along regularly, have you thought of making veggie bullion cubes to freeze? I watched Moran make these last year and thought how clever! So much healthier than buying stock cubes, and would add marvellous flavour to any kind of soups, casseroles, spaghetti sauces etc :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEldKPGvUrE
    What a gorgeous new stove! Have fun with it! :-)
    God bless,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts