Feather your Nest 20th September, 2024.

I think I squeezed a week and a half into this week!  It may be more pictures than words I am so tired tonight!  

Where to start!?   Chloe was here and as you know she is known for her beautiful cakes.  She told me she tried to buy Orange Extract from the supermarket and they didn't have it.   Then she went online and found it was very expensive.  I jumped in that I could make it as it is not any different than making Vanilla Extract.   By the end of the evening I had several bottles started.  I did Lemon Extract as well while I was at it.  By the next day the Vodka was already turning a very pretty colour.



I was able to make it right away because over the weekend friends called in with citrus for me. This had been grown in their garden so I knew no sprays or anything ever touched them.  




The secret is to use a veggie peeler with a light touch and just get steps of peel without any white which is bitter.  Then slice those thinly, lengthwise.   Really there is nothing to it!


The next day I had lemons and oranges without peels on my counter top so I made Lemon Butter with 8 lemons and 2 oranges.




The two oranges made it extra bright!

With some of this I made jar deserts which I delivered to Chloe's family.




These apparently went down a treat.

I am pleased to report that Lily scoffs the bone broth pumpkin puree.   Today at the swap table I traded a Fiddle Leaf Fig plant for half a pumpkin so I am set to make some more.


Being Spring here one of the highlights for me are the wild flowers.  There are just flowers everywhere.  I decided that this year I am going to collect all the flowers I can that will dry well and then make bunches to give away.   Both yesterday and today I got armfuls of flowers.   From previous years I know these dry perfectly and keep their colour.





I am out of vases and using large canning jars!  Today I got so many more. I have filled three jars like this and have a whole table covered in flowers outside.   Over the weekend I will begin to make up some bunches.

Yesterday I met friends in a small town.  We had lunch and went to the thrift shop.  It was fantastic!   I found this cup and saucer set for $3.





Also crystal!   It has been a goal to get enough crystal containers to make them into candles for next years gifts.  The smaller ones were $2.   A larger 24% lead crystal, English bowl on a stand was the most, it was $8 but it's so gorgeous....









I am very happy with myself as I sewed three potholders (with thick wool filling) and in the evening I did a crochet edge and loop so they can hang in the kitchen.   Some weeks I just don't get to the sewing machine yet a few minutes a day really adds up!





I also used a book from the thrift store to make bird themed cards.   I love them because I love birds! 





In the evenings I got a few more tea towels edged.





Some of my younger hens have started laying.   The top egg is a normal sized egg... the egg at the bottom is a learners egg!  





Calf number four arrived!   The four of them are already happily running around together.






My chicks were promoted to an outdoor coop in my protected back yard... with their little heater one.   They are loving it. I notice how all the nails LOVE the sun.  They sun themselves and scratch around.






In the orchard my middle pear tree is covered in blossoms.    The most I have ever seen! 





We had another big bonfire...  now the yard of the "top house" is cleaned up and hopefully will soon look green.    All this has made it much neater but also safer in a fire.







With one eye on world events I started thinking about how could I increase my veggie growing space?  I was already thinking about what would I try with my pumpkins this year as the last couple of years failed. 

My helpers installed a large cement trough in the driveway for when sheep or cattle come in and eat this area down.  Previously I had an old bath tub for the job.   Also we put in all cement troughs and a spare plastic trough was unused.   I realised these would be my new planters!   I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

When my helpers arrived Monday I explained my plan.  I am sure they live in fear of my next plan.  But still they jumped in and the tractor brought the bath and the trough down to the orchard.   The orchard has a rabbit proof fence so this is the best place.








My big compost heap gave me plenty of soil to fill them both up.   The bath tub is planted.  I need to add mulch on top...









The trough is 12 foot long. It holds a lot of soil.  The end has pumpkins but I still have almost ten feet to plant.







Today twenty Sussex hen eggs went into the incubator.  If any of these hatch they will be big and white.   





To end my day my beautiful friend made me dinner.  It was just delicious and there are some left overs for tomorrow.   AND I arrived home to giant puddles in the driveway as it had rained!

I am in bed with cup of tea, a hot pack and I am not moving!   😊


How did you build up your home, pantry or garden this week?   It is just so lovely to have friends who "get it" and share with.   xxxx




















































Comments

  1. Dearest Annabel. I look forward to Friday nights, for I get to “catch up” with you and the week you’ve had. I love the pictures you post and your beautiful love for family and the farm.
    Please will you consider a potholder sewing tutorial? I’m in need of some new ones. Thank you my dear and hope you get some rest and relaxation this weekend xx Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annabel, What a full week you have had, many new lives on the farm, the baby calf is adorable, prayers all your new eggs will hatch. Your pear tree looks so beautiful with all the blossoms on it. Amazing work with your kitchen items, love the dish towels and pot holders. I know Chloe will be happy with the lemon extract.

    I had a full week, it seemed to be on and off. We spent Sunday going to nurseries. More than half a day was driving around. I was blessed to find perennial Chrysanthemums at a better price than annual ones. We also were able to get 7 black lace elderberries at half off. We are having major work done on side of house with a retaining wall and drainage, so we were looking for bushes to plant in the area. The mums all went in front of the house where other plants had died.

    I was able to start a batch of cough medicine for the winter here. A few more days and I can decanter it and add the honey to it. I crocheted 2 potholders and an oven mitt with leftover yarns and 5 more facial scrubbies, so I felt good using more of my little bits, though husband does wish for another oven mitt. So I will start that soon.

    I worked a little more in basement trying to get it all organized, it seems I need some storage containers. It is work but rewarding as things are getting better organized.
    We have also stopped at grocery stores on our trips out to check for markdowns. They are getting few and far between. Sales are mostly on junk food, so just buying essentials has gone up tremendously. I watched my husband as we walked through the store, he has his path all mapped out and it is so adorable watching him look fr markdown tags in departments, I was so proud of him, as before we met he would never do that.

    We continue to prepare for winter here, husband just filled another propane tank for the grill, (never know when we might need to use it with power outages.) I am busy with preparing medicines for winter and getting bedrooms ready, with warmer blankets and sheets.) One big job left is to power wash the house before winter sets in.

    Prayers for all bluebirds, may all be blessed with pantries that will cover them through the coming months

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts