Back to basics. Tuna mornay. A from the pantry supplies meal.

This was one of my favourite meals when I was little.  I loved it.  Even better,  sometimes it was served in a little ramekin with a handle... they were all black on the outside but each was a different colour on the inside so of course I always wanted the pink one.  😊


I am posting this as a basic because it can be made from your pantry.  I always have long life or powdered milk,  tins of sweetcorn, cornflour, tinned tuna,  bread crumbs, packets of soup mix...  these are essentials for me.    I can always make tuna mornay! 



I will give the single recipe which I always x by 2 or 3 because then I have a meal for myself and a meal I can give to one of the girls.   The single recipe will serve two people with leftovers.


Have your stove top plate at a medium heat.

Use a packet of chicken noodle or chicken supreme or similar....  scatter that in the bottom of your cooking pot with a cup or two of water and dissolve.   You can also use your own healthy or gluten free homemade version which I covered in many saving mixes.  



Drain a tin of tuna... ours are the large tins which are 425 grams.   It doesn't matter... just a large can of tuna then add to your cook pot.

Drain a tin of sweetcorn.  Ours are 440 grams...  it doesn't matter.  Or use frozen corn.  I actually like frozen better... it is crunchier/fresher.  If I am using frozen I throw some in thinking I want a bit more corn than tuna.  If you are trying to stretch your meal throw in a lot more corn than tuna!  Add this in.


Now add plenty of milk and stir this all as it warms.



So you actually want to add more milk until it covers everything...




Turn your stove top up to a higher heat and stir this until it is coming up to boil.

Meanwhile turn on your oven to a medium heat.

Make up a jug of about a cup of cold milk and a couple of heaped tablespoons of cornflour.  Get that nice and smooth.




As your tuna mix is coming to boil stir this through as this will thicken it to a nice mornay consistency.


Now pour your mix into a shallow baking dish.   You want a large surface area as the topping is what everyone fights over!   So your mornay should be only an inch or two thick.

Then top the whole surface with breadcrumbs of your choice then cheese.   





Pop this in the oven until your cheese is golden brown and the whole thing is bubbling.   

This can be served as it is,  over rice is really good too.   An alternative meal stretching recipe is to add small cooked pasta back at the milk stage... this can up to double the end result.

It is very easy,  quick and good.  Many of you will have your own versions,  please share if you do!  

Next week I will post the Lemon Cake recipe because a few of you have asked for that one and Mum has too!  

It is a good project to figure out meals that can be made from just pantry ingredients.  Shelf stable basics are an absolute life saver.   I've had people say to me oh but I only like to eat fresh organic food.  Well that is bloody marvellous until the stores are closed, the road is shut and you are down to what you have that is shelf stable!  A wise woman can feed her family even then!  xxx



Comments

  1. This does sound good. I made a pantry meal this weekend, a can of corned beef, a can of mixed veg, a can of baked beans - mixed together and topped with mashed potatoes from a pack of instant mix - tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound nice indeed ! Sonia, Sydney, Australia 🦘

      Delete
    2. Sorry Annabel, Sonia here, I meant to ask you but forgot to in my post, what kind of Tuna you buy ? And also can I use a tin of soup mix instead of the dry ? I like cream of celery or asparagus if I can find it. I don't like Coles or Woolies home brand tuna I find it too mushy and "cat.food like". I have had good results with the ALDI one in a yellow tin. Nice chunks and flavour. Love Sonia, Sydney, Australia

      Delete
  2. Many thanks Annabel for it ! You are such a lovely kind of woman ! It is a true blessing. I am trying to build up my pantry more ! I have joined the aboriginal church outreach part of my friends church (I am not Aboriginal but you don't have to be lots of Aussies go) we have a once a month service prayers and then singing and then dinner I will be.making this for the next one ! Much love, Sonia, Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two sets of those black ramekins as they remind me of my childhood too. I must try this way of making a tuna money as it is different than what I used to do. Barb K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Diane from Streator17 September 2024 at 07:41

    Tonight, I am making tuna noodle casserole with fresh mushrooms & corn. (Never thought of adding corn. Exciting!). Dessert will be apple crisp and vanilla ice cream. DH is having dental work done today. A nice, soft, comforting meal! I love this site!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts