Back to basics. Lemon butter/Lemon Curd.

Lemon Butter used to be quite time consuming to make using a double boiler and a lot of stirring.    Now you can just just the microwave and pretend to be making a custard or white sauce.   Blend,  microwave,  stir every 3 minutes.  It's all done in twelve.   

For me  having chickens means sometimes there are a lot of eggs to use up.   When I also have a lot of lemons it is a naturally the perfect time to make Lemon Butter.

I posted the recipe on my old blog and you can find it here  Jars of Sunshine.   It is so easy to make and so bright and gorgeous looking, and tasting.    Your jars and pies will literally look like sunshine!




The next good thing is Lemon Butter freezes perfectly.  Then there are so many ways to use it.
Mostly you don't have to do anything with it as if you give someone a jar they will be pretty happy.   However I have used it in so many ways.   One is I simply have some yoghurt and berries for a breakfast or desert and top with a spoon of Lemon Butter.  So delicious.    

Here I have filled tart cases... some of these are being gifted tomorrow and some into the freezer. 

I also filled sponge cakes... one of these is heading to Chloe's household tomorrow and one is frozen.





Another idea is to make layer style deserts (like a trifle)  with a layer of Lemon Butter... or little jar deserts with berries,  lemon butter and cream.   Maybe a layer of sponge cake?  Or some pavlova or meringue like Eton Mess?   Basically you cant go wrong!   Little jars filled with desert are gorgeous to take on a picnic.... or deliver to someone.

At my old house there was a rose bush covered in yellow flowers.  As I am hopeless at cake decorating I would use a freshly picked rose as my fancy touch.





I made a batch yesterday and a batch today.... so that used 20 eggs and 20 lemons!   It is so enjoyable to make as it is so quick and looks so good.





My suggestion is that if you want it to fill tart cases then pour it in hot and you will get a smooth top.   But for filling little cakes,  on toast,  on fruit...  just scoop it out of your jar.   I keep it up to two weeks in the fridge... otherwise I freeze it.






I still have so many lemons but I have to wait for the chooks to catch up!   

I hope this is handy for some of you.   Really it is a matter of what you have and what you can make with it.   It is about making the absolute most of what comes our way.    Getting to work and putting things to good use,  into the menu and maybe also some to share. 

If there is a birthday coming up (or even if we think of Christmas) we can hide away goodies made during the year to add to the special occasion cooking.    Lemon Butter also goes a long way because it is rich in flavour.  

Today, in the kitchen,  I had pasties cooking and lemon butter going in the microwave.   I still have some things cooling before I can put them away.   So it was a good day! xxx






Comments

  1. Well, I had to laugh because I made a batch of lemon butter on Sunday due to us having a lot of lemons, and I always use the microwave method too. But I did not ever think to freeze some!! I always give the extras away. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks sooo yummy! I'm going to make some for sure. About how many jars does one recipe make? Say pint jars (That's what it looks like in your pics?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy I would say four but also you can use a bit smaller jar if you are giving it as gifts and get five easily.xxx

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious and sounds so easy! I can’t wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. When you freeze it, does the consistency change? Thanks, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deb, No it doesn't change at all. Strangely if you can it then the consistency is not good. But freezing you cant tell it was ever frozen! xxx

      Delete
    2. Thankyou for answering, Annabel, great to know it freezes so well. x

      Delete
  5. Dear Annabel, it all looks so luxurious, I will have to wait till my chooks get bad to laying too. I am cranky at myself because I went to the trouble last year to buy slaking lime and read up on how to keep eggs and I didn't get around to it and I sure wish I had my extra eggs now. Love Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, I have a lemon butter question. When you freeze it. What do you freeze it in? Jars - or something else?

      Delete
    2. You can freeze it in anything you like but I just freeze it in jars, remembering to leave some head space though.xx

      Delete
  6. Dear Annabel, Thank you for the beautiful entry. You made my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - just something I have wondered about. How do you make such utterly delicious looking food and still stay slender. I am guessing it is because you work hard on your farm and share with others. I love lemon curd but have only purchased it before now. Will give your recipe a try. Hugs. Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, I dont know if I would be described as slender but overall most of my cooking is feeding a hungry farmer, kids and farm helpers. I dont eat wheat so the sponge say and the tarts I cant even eat. I can have some lemon butter with my yoghurt though. Also none of us eat take out or bought snacks or soda. Mostly all food is homemade. You wont believe the difference between homemade lemon curd and bought. One thing though is the eggs I use are farm chook eggs so lovely and bright yellow... this helps the brightness of the colour. I think you will love it! xxx

      Delete
  8. Wow! Those tarts look amazing! I never thought of pouring the curd into a pie crust. Can't wait to try it. I can mine like jelly...hot jars, and hot lids and I pour in the hot curd. When it all cools, the lids seal.
    Thanks for the reminders on lemon curd. This is my children's favorite way for me to use extra eggs. 😊
    Love, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anbabel,

    I’m going to have a crack at these - they look lovely. Just juice in the recipe? No rind?

    Regards Di

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts