Back to basics. Spinach triangles/pie/parcels.

As I mentioned in Fridays post I am increasing the crops I can grow and giving up on some that always fail.   Today I picked some chard,  spinach and  silverbeet.  




Previously I have shredded and lightly cooked it in the fry pan before using it as a quiche filling.   Also I shred it and use it as I would zucchini in my spaghetti meat sauce.   Today I made spinach parcels.

These are the easiest thing ever.   (Except I cheat and buy pastry... but you can go about the pastry any way you want.)  

In a big pan fry up one or two chopped onions and a clove or two of garlic.  I didn't have fresh garlic so I used some granules.

Once the onion is lovely and golden throw in roughly chopped spinach/silverbeet/chard or a combination of what you have.   A little mint in there is good too.





As it cooks down I throw in some more.




When this has all wilted down throw in a block of Feta,  crumble it up...






Let it melt down.  I add some parmesan as well.   When in doubt add cheese is my motto.






One this has melted let the mixture cool down.   If you try to put hot mix into pastry it just becomes a mess.   

Then...  make up triangles or parcels or you can make it as a slice.   

Due to the shape of my pastry I went with rectangles.






Make them smaller than you think because they are quite rich.   If you want to be fancy serve with a little salad and drizzle with sticky balsamic.   This is really good!  

These freeze perfectly.   I got six dinner size rectangles.   So now ahead of me I have five ready meals (because I already had one for dinner. 😊) 

There are many variations of this.   If you have any please share!  I am very grateful to everyone who shared their soup recipes last week.   I try and reply to every Friday comment but I rarely also get to Mondays... I read every one either way.   There were some comments about bone broth.   I do often make my own stock and bone broth,  depending on the bones I have.   This may be a basic I should cover.

Have a good new week!   xxx


Comments

  1. This looks wonderful! Thank you for the idea! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of you the other night as I was destemming spinach leaves, saying that you'd chopped them up into little pieces and added them in too, so I did the same, chopping them very finely. Thank you for sharing so much of your homemaking and helping those of us who might not think of the things you do.

    I found spinach on markdown then had coupons that made it FREE to me. So glad I found it and thought to get enough to push into the freezer. I will try these spinach packets as I think they would be lovely and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum can’t wait to try! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so tasty, Annabel. Thank you for sharing, as this isn't a type of food I would think to make but would really enjoy. I love that they can be frozen and portable. I am looking for more types of foods like that. I need things that I can pack for when we go to town and get hungry, as going out to eat is so expensive and really not very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey since you have eggs... make mini quiches in muffin pans. They are beautiful cold. These are my picnic food most times. Also savoury muffins.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Annabel. I do like quiche. Would you mind sharing a recipe for savory muffins? I know you've mentioned pikelets (?) before, which I think are like pancakes. Maybe a basics post on packing lunches with portable food ideas/lists and recipes? I think you are a master at this, and you are the inspiration behind me packing food to take with us. I just struggle a bit with the specifics.

      Delete
  5. I make something similar. I like to add a bit of chopped ham or chicken or turkey if I have any. It’s a great way to use up small bits leftover. I love these recipes you are sharing. My granddaughter and I made your honey crunchies (That’s what my granddaughter calls them.). She had a bad day yesterday so I made a batch of them today as an after school snack as a surprise. I love how quick, easy and economical they are. I would love to make Anzac biscuits but can’t find a reasonably priced source for the golden syrup. I will keep looking. Thanks for your lovely posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where you live but if you're in the US, we can buy Golden Syrup at World Market stores. Also Amazon carries it for not too bad a price.

      Delete
    2. Annabelle - is that puff pastry you have used in the packets?

      Delete
    3. Karla yes, puff pastry. Mine was a gluten free one.

      Delete
    4. Karla, ‘My Sugar Free Kitchen’ has a great recipe for Anzac biscuits made without golden syrup. She uses maple syrup and coconut sugar, which isn’t exactly sugar free (!), but is delicious all the same. Marney

      Delete
  6. Hello Annabel, this little Back to Basics post each week has been such a blessing. My ANZAC biscuits were a hit and I’ve made a second batch already as my husband really likes them. Just today after reading your post I picked some spinach and have made a spinach slice as per your recipe. Thank you so much for the effort you put into this blog.
    Blessings Gail.🙋🏼‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me that! I think Anzacs are quite filling too. Thank you for your encouragement!xxx

      Delete
  7. Dear Annabel, id quite like to try this as a pie like a Greek spanakopita. I was wondering if you'd ever do a segment like a drop down menu for recipes ? Looks delicious! Love Sonia
    Sydney NSW

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts