Back to Basics. Making a Budget by Kelsey.

Thank you so much to Kelsey for this weeks post.     A basics series absolutely needs to cover how to make a simple budget.  Teaching someone how to set up a budget and make a plan is a real gift.  Sometimes we need to go back to the drawing board and make a new budget!  What worked before may no longer!  So if you are just starting out or needing a review then I will hand you over to Kelsey.

 



    Creating a household budget is one of the keys to helping us steward our finances well and live within our means.  When we know what's coming in and what's going out (how much and where), we can manage our money in a way that works for us and benefits our families.  I budget on a monthly basis and keep my method very simple.

    Step 1: Calculate monthly household income.

    Whether you have one source of income or several, the first step in creating a budget is to add up how much you have coming in each month.  This lets you see what you have to work with.  If your income varies from month to month, I would budget only off of what you are guaranteed to get, or the lowest amount you are expecting.  Don't be counting on an extra shift you may or may not pick up, for example.  This ensures that all of your needs will be met, and any extra income can be counted as a "bonus".  





    Step 2:  Add up fixed expenses.

    Fixed expenses are those recurring monthly bills that are generally considered "needs" and are usually around the same amount each month.  Things like mortgage or vehicle payments, health/home/vehicle/life insurances, and utilities fall into this category.  I know utilities tend to vary a little more based on usage- the key is to plan for your utilities to be on the higher end each month (check past statements to see the range of costs) to be sure they will be covered.  It is better to have a bill end up less than expected than for it to be higher than you planned.






    Step 3:  Income - Fixed expenses =  Variable Expenses

    Once you have figured out your income and subtracted your fixed expenses, you will see how much you have left for variable expenses (everything else).  Variable expenses are a mixture of wants and needs purchased throughout the month that can be broken down into categories like groceries, gas/petrol, clothing, gifts, entertainment, household items, etc.  As the name suggests, these expenses tend to vary from month to month.  The good news about variable expenses is that we usually have more power over them and can make adjustments to control what we spend and where.  





    If you are new to budgeting, it can feel overwhelming to try to figure out what your variable categories are and how much money should be allotted to each one.  I would suggest gathering all of last month's bills and statements and sitting down with a blank sheet of paper and several different colored highlighters.  Choose a color and, line by line, highlight all of the times you went out to eat.  On your blank sheet of paper, write "Restaurants" or "Take Out" and the total spent next to it.  Choose a different colored highlighter and, line by line, highlight all of your gas/petrol purchases, recording the total on your sheet of paper.  Keep going with your highlighters to highlight similar purchases, and you will start to see what your categories are and how much you typically spend in each one.  Some purchases are going to be a bit random and not seem to fit into their own category- things like postage stamps, supplies your child needed for a school project, a new garden hose, etc.  Keep a "Miscellaneous" category for those types of things.

    Once you finish that exercise, chances are that you are going to have some surprises about how quickly things can add up!  This is where you can really make a difference by trimming down excess, prioritizing what is important to you and eliminating or scaling back on the things that aren't.  I know so many people are put off by the restrictive nature of a budget, but it is really about shifting around available funds to make them work better for your life, not about deprivation!  It is very freeing to have the peace of mind knowing that your needs will be met and that whatever is left is put to best use for your family.  I want to add that this takes time and practice, so do not be discouraged if it takes a few months to figure out realistic amounts that you can stick to!

    There are many fancy apps and programs to help keep you on track with finances, but I always go back to the same basic budget sheet I've been using for 13 years because it's simple and it works for me.  I will share a sample (fictional example) to illustrate what a month in progress would look like:





    The section at the bottom right is where I record income each time a deposit is made.  I paste a mini calendar underneath and circle paydays.


    The section at the bottom left is for fixed expenses.  I list the bill, when it is due, and the amount.  When it is paid (and withdrawn from the bank), I put a check next to it.


    The top section is for variable expenses.  I have drawn lines to separate and label the categories.  At the bottom of each column, I write how much is allotted per month, and at the end of the month, I record how much I actually spent.  Each time I make a purchase, I record it in its appropriate section.  This lets me see throughout the month how much I've spent and how much I have left to spend in each category.  Sometimes, I use a post-it note to see at a glance.


    If you have stuck with me this far, thank you!  I hope I have explained everything in an easy-to-understand way.  I am not a financial expert of any kind (if it wasn't obvious enough, haha!) but this is what has worked well for my family and I hope you can find something helpful in it also.




Thank you Kelsey and good job!  I am a pen and paper person like you.  Andy was a spread sheet on the computer person.   Do whatever works for you.  When you see things in black and white it becomes real. I also like to consider what things cost yearly because some quite "harmless" habits can turn out to be costing thousands!  We just forget how little bits add up!  The flip side of this is how small savings add up!   

If you have tips you would like to share please do. I think it would be good to have a post on how to build an emergency fund as well.  There are many creative ways to build some savings.  My Nana saved 50c coins.   She also had a secret stash of change in a biscuit tin high up on her kitchen dresser.    At the end of each year I got to help count the 50c coins... it was often several hundred dollars which (back then) was pretty darn good!

Have a great week.xxx


Comments

  1. If you get paid every 2 weeks, you get 26 pays per year and if you get paid twice monthly, you get 24 pays per year. If you get paid every 2 weeks, but base your calculations on twice monthly, you end up with 2 "free" pays. I used to take only grocery and gas money from those and put the rest to savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good point and a great idea! We get paid every other week, so like you said, there are two months out of the year that have that "bonus" payday. Something like that is the perfect opportunity to stash away some savings.

      Delete
  2. I also do the paper method. I have an accounting ledger which has 20 columns. I use every column for each of my expenses. It really helps me track everything month by month and year by year. At the end of the year I can easily look back through the past few years and really see where I have made changes and how much things like hydro, car gas, water, groceries etc have gone up or down. I am not a math person at all, so this way helps me visualize. Love your way also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really helps to see everything on paper, doesn't it? I like that you look back over your past ledgers to compare costs. That is a good way to stay on top of prices and habits.

      Delete
  3. I have a spreadsheet that lists paydays and income across the top, divided by weeks usually Fridays, and on the left side all my expenses, including household bills, credit cards, car notes, tithes, and savings amounts. At the bottom of each week it subtracts my expenses and tells me what's left. I can move bills around to different weeks if I want to, or pay less or more on a bill, etc. I have my bills being paid on those paydays or the payday prior to it being due so it's never late. Also on the left side is my grocery budget, and weekly "allowance" amounts for my husband and myself to spend as we wish, which includes gas. If there is money left at the bottom, I consider it mine since I take care of the finances LOL I've been doing this for about 18 years and I just copy the spreadsheet for the next month and change the dates/weeks. It is so helpful, and I don't get money anxiety like I used to because I don't pay bills on the fly anymore, and I know at a glance where my money is going every month. Peace of mind for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have a great system, Kathy! I agree that knowing where everything is going, as well as being able to move things around as needed, eliminates a lot of the monetary stress. That peace of mind is definitely worth keeping a budget!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Kelsey. Budgets are so important and, like you, I prefer pen ( erasable ink) and paper. When my husband worked full time, I kept to a sound budget. I was very prudent with our finances and we managed to pay off our home way early. Sometimes, husbands can wreck a budget if they aren't completely on board.
    I appreciate your post very much.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glenda! Keeping a budget helped us pay off our home early as well. I have found that having things down on paper can help get someone on board. It is very difficult for anyone to argue with numbers. If there is at least a common goal (like paying off a home), creating a plan to reach that goal and showing the other person that it IS possible can be a big motivator. Of course I know there can be many other factors at play and we cannot control other people. It certainly took my husband and I lots of time and personal growth before we each worked out how to be on the same page, so I understand. That could be a whole post in itself, haha!

      Delete
  5. Thank you Kelsey! It is amazing to me how many we know who are struggling financially don't believe in a budget! It is absolute peace for us. I am a ledger in a notebook budget keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having that peace is so freeing, isn't it Lana? You would think financial hardship would spur someone on to make changes, or at least be willing to learn, but such isn't always the case, unfortunately.

      Delete
  6. Excellent reminder to get back on track with budgeting. I too prefer pen and paper. I like your clear, easy to follow method. We are having to pull things even tighter due to some unforeseen expenses. Thank you for a great article.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginger. I think a lot of us are having to tighten our purse strings these days. Having a budget can help us figure out how to make room for those necessities.

      Delete
  7. I loved reading your post on budgeting, Kelsey - mainly because it was written by you, but also because I found it to be excellent!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelsey is in Texas!!?? I work at HEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H-Town representing here! :)

      Delete
    2. I sure am! I love HEB. When I wrote it down in my example, I thought I had better add Walmart in because no one will know what HEB is, haha!

      Delete
  9. Yesterday my husband looked at are budget. The new financial year starts on the 6 April in the U.K. We need to put extra £20 a month into the bill money. I didn’t think that was bad, until I did it for 12 months £240 extra. To think £20 is ok and how many times do we say that’s fine Annabel is right the small amounts add up. Thank you Kelsey for a really good post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Kelsey for a wonderful post. A written budget is a powerful tool. And it’s amazing what can be done with a few dollars saved. I must remember this myself as when I use my card I can be charged a few cents. It all adds up. You write so beautifully, Kelsey. I love reading everything you write and also love your blog. Lots of love, Bridget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a kind comment, Bridget. Thank you! I love that you said, "It's amazing what can be done with a few dollars saved." That is the flipside to those little expenses adding up. The savings can add up too!

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much, Kelsey! I appreciate all your work on this post. I have learned so much about budgeting in the last few months. I purchased Mrs. White's book, Old-fashioned Budgeting just last month. Her method is very similar to your's.
    Blessings,
    Leslie in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, Kelsey! I like paper and pen, too, though hubby likes a spreadsheet. Good point about making sure to budget for "worst case scenarios" so that a person can be sure to have enough...having "extra" left over is always a plus, vs. not having enough to pay for expenses!!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts