Really and truly back to basics.

It is eight weeks today since Andy died.   Many of you have followed our journey since we were married and lived in the city and many from two months ago...   My idea of back to basics has really changed.  Basics are relative to where you are currently.   I would say that a sudden death of a spouse is a real lesson in what is important and what is not. 



With Andy we had a daily routine.  All kinds of things were a routine that I had not considered ie if he came home from picking up the groceries I would go and help him unload the car and I would then be putting the cold stuff away... and if I came home with a car load he would be out helping me unload it all.  I would check the cows, he would open the gate.  Little things, but so many of them. 

Only in the last week or so has it occurred to me that the whole slate is wiped clean.  I am truly back to basics.  I had continued to eat at the same times and stick to things as they were set.   Except for one thing... we usually watched about 20 minutes of TV a day for some news.  I have never turned the TV back on since Andy died.  

Finally I realised that I have the opportunity to entirely change everything.  We all have twenty four hours in a day.  I will continue to live here so some things remain... the animals, the garden, all the things of living on a farm.   But my personal routine can be re imagined.   It is actually daunting to decide to truly go back to basics and have a blank page to make a plan.  

Have you noticed the most beautiful things are the simplest?  A bowl of eggs or lemons.   Looking at the moon or a rainbow.  A cup of tea when you are tired.  Clean fresh linen.  A good book.  A bowl of soup.   I think we have tended to know ourselves out trying to be fancy. 




I have quite a bit to do in a day but most are simple things that are actually lovely.   Feeding the chickens,  picking some apples,  time in the garden, checking the cows... 

The way I get things done (and have kept going) is by lists.   I make goals for the week and each evening I made a list for the next day.  As I go I tick things off this list.  This works for me...   seriously... if you know what works for you then you are set.  If gold stars do it for you buy packs of gold stars!  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The things on my list are jobs to do, occasions to remember,  things to cook, appointments etc.   I have realised I could actually prioritise prayer,  health and other areas this way too.  So today I took to my blank slate with a pen.   I have been thinking it over until my head hurts.  

Andy had been spending more time on Bible study than me.  More time in prayer.  More in research.  It had been (in retrospect) like he was in a hurry to cram everything in.   He had been in a hurry over his Will as well.  As I mentioned Friday I have tended to pray on the fly, in the gaps,  here and there.  I never had an actual formal prayer time nor set Bible study/Scripture time.   Because it is an hour to town I often pray a lot when driving.  I always pray before shopping.  As I drive I pray for members of the family and all sorts of things.   But I have not been committed to dates, places, times, routines.    

Now I want to be.  I need to quit stuffing around with something so important.   Andy seemed to know time was short. He was not stuffing around!  So now he led me to this realisation.   We can realise something and do something about it... or realise it and carry on the same way.  I want to do something about it.   I am getting back to basics.  God,  family, farm and animals...  helping others...  writing a plan that I can put into practice.   What we say is one thing but what we do is the true measure of our actual values.

I am grateful to have these choices.   On that, I have been writing down the things I have to be grateful for every night.  This is helpful.  One thing I am most grateful for is timing.  Had Andy died three years earlier it would have been a completely different story.  He suffered an addiction that had almost taken his life away.  He did always believe in God but anyone who has lived with someone with an addiction knows that is all encompassing.  It is probably number one.  So that was a grim time.  He has suffered many losses in his life.  More than most people could endure and so I kind of understood.  In January 2021 he gave up his addiction cold turkey.  I never knew how he did it as he didn't have outside help or support.  Recently I found how he did it... he wrote a promise to God in his Bible with a date and he signed it.  And that was the end of that.  Because of this all that I have described became possible and he was able to redeem the time he had lost plus some.  So that is a lot to be grateful for. 

On social media and you tube etc I am seeing so many people wanting to learn new skills, budget, cook, menu plan...  the economic times are hitting home.   Sadly I see a lot of very grim posts such as having $30 left for the fortnight and no food in the pantry kind of posts.    If I think I can help I chime in to some of them.   What I notice is "basics" means wildly different things to different people.  A lady was proudly saying how she bought pancake mix and made her own pancakes.   In cases like this I still say "good job" because she has taken the step to actually cook something even if it is a pre-made mix... it is still a step.  And encouragement is what we all need. 



While making my new routine and plan I have been cleaning, re arranging, donating, organising,  re imagining spaces.  My spaces room to reflect what I need them for and what I want to be doing.   I finally realised if I want to be reminded to have time reading my Bible having a space set up with visual reminders (as well as my plan) would help me.   Like if we want to be off to a good start the next day we might lay out our clothes and make our packed lunch... we can set ourselves up for success with planning and reminders.  



Similarly,  if we get clutter out of the way and learn to do things efficiently we can achieve more in a day, better and faster.   I already noticed this with having a cutting out table for sewing, that is so helpful.  If surfaces are simple to wipe down cleaning is quicker!   So I have made a list of easier ways... faster ways... things I can do that will give me more time on the important stuff.

Andy dying has made a lot of things seem just too dumb to pursue.  We can all be gone in the twinkle of an eye.   If time is short then what would we let go of and what would we do more of?   The ways to simplify things to the most important are endless.  We are really entrenched in our habits and what is "normal" to the extend I have found myself doing something then thinking WHY am I even doing this!? 

I have mentioned I like Father Mark Goring on You Tube.  He said something that I loved... he said he is pretty pathetic when it comes to making changes so he makes MICRO changes.  Immediately I thought yes I am pathetic too but I could make tiny changes!  Then give myself a gold star as he does. 

Now I have reached the end of my Monday.  It is time to make my list of things to be grateful for.  xxx







Comments

  1. Dear Annabel, you are continuing to cheer us on, encourage and inspire us even in the hardest of times. I truly feel my heroes are ones that have given up addictions. Andy achieved incredible things, and you were by his side. I love how you are reimagining things. And it is good to clean the slate, tidy up, declutter etc I wonder how your days will look like. I love the term micro changes. I get nervous with change. But micro changes I can do too. And I feel these are the ones that add up and powerfully change things. I need to reevaluate my life and see where it is all going. Am I spending it wisely or wasting time? Lots to think about. Thank you for inspiring and encouraging us. An angel-that’s you. Lots of love, Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Annabel. It feels like a wise and practical sermon to me and refreshes my soul. I think I will refer back to it many times to remind me of the messages within.

    I am so grateful you are continuing to post and share your wisdom. I don’t think you quite realise just how much God is speaking through you.

    Love from Cheryl 🙏🐦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree so much. Thank you for living your life out loud with us.

      Delete
    2. I feel this too about Annabel’s words, Cheryl. That is perfectly said. Thank you. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  3. Dear Annabel, Each of your posts is more beautiful than the one before. I am grateful the Lord brought me yo your site.
    I too am focusing on growing in the Lord, asking for His help to live my life according to His will. Praying for guidance from Him in the reading, studying and understanding of His word. It's all pretty new to me this yearning and hungering for Him. To know him intimately.
    Almost thirty years ago now, my youngest son was killed in an auto accident, I grieved almost to the point of my own death. In retrospect, I made the loss harder for everyone else who loved him as much as I did. I couldn't have grieved differently, and I know that, but God puts examples in our lives to help us in our journey and you are clearly that.
    Thank you for sharing your heart your family, and your gifts with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your loss, how difficult that must be. Grief is such a personal journey and you did the best you could. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  4. {{{{Bless you}}}}....everyone has a different view of simplicity, and yours is perfect for this season, Annabel. I'm so grateful to God that you have found what is going to work for you. And girl, my heart erupted in joy hearing of your plans to spend real time in the Bible, studying God's Word, just as your precious Andy did. May you be blessed as you study, pray and immerse yourself in the Lord's Word. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for another productive, practical post. I, too, am grappling with my schedule and routines. This post has given me so much to ponder on and incorporate into my life. Just yesterday, I was telling my church friends that I need to find a way to order my days so that I can fit in the important things and still get all of the little things that make life run smoothly accomplished as well. For me, spending time on various social media outlets and screen time in general is a real time-eating monster. I have to get back to living life instead of just reading about it. Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " I need to get back to living life instead of just reading about it". Thank you. I realize this is exactly what I need to hear as I'm trying to put more order in my days. Trying to reset how I spend my time. Choosing only blogs like this instead of mear scrolling is a good start.

      Delete
  6. We had a lovely note arrive in our mailbox this week and we both cherish it and the time spent to send it to us. You are doing so well and are far more brave than I can picture myself in your place. We have been considering and changing around how we accomplish what needs to be done every day. It helps to hear about your plans as well.

    The thing about people's finances is that here the restaurant parking lots are still packed and the line around the coffee shop drive thru is just as long and yet there is so much complaining about not having any money. People seem to have lost their common sense and continue to spend like there is no tomorrow but even credit cards are coming due every month. Why continue to eat out when you cannot afford to stock the pantry or do the things you really cherish and enjoy like a vacation? But, at the same time many are turning to God. Our church had 23 new members last week and our son told me they had 40. So our days continue to be in His hands. He has a plan and Hubby and I are resting in that right now.

    Much love, Lana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a long time follower of your beautiful blog & how you live your life has been an inspiration to me. I'm so very sorry for your loss -just know a sister in Western Colorado is praying for you. I too have been facing some personal changes from a place of difficulty & overwhelm. God gave me this verse; Zech 4:10 (not sure of translation)Do not despise small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin. He is happy when we want His help to address the issues in our lives. He knows sometimes all we can manage are small steps. But He is there with us-very involved very loving- He will help us. I'm seeing changes I never could sustain on my own as I reference this verse & I've felt Him very close to me. The slow & quiet of this process can draw us closer to Him. Am praying this for you. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment.
      It hit home for me.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for helping me cope with my husband's death. After sixty years of learning to live with someone, it's so hard to learn live without him. Bless you Annabel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an excellent post. I agree, the simple things are the best. I think living in the countryside is a richness all itself. People in the city never know. I smiled when I read Andy wrote in his Bible. God is so wonderful like that . I love your posts such a bright spot on the internet 🌸

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for such a thought-provoking and encouraging post. I needed every bit of it. One thing I would add and its the thing I'm aware of but don't seem to accomplish. I pray "on the fly" as you do. I keep telling myself I should set up a time/space and read my Bible along with prayer so I can also worship Him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a friend who lost her husband suddenly, a couple of years ago. For the first time in her life she now lives alone. She says that the best thing about it is that there are NO RULES! She can construct her days in whichever routine she likes, because she has no one else's needs to consider except her own. (And her cat.)
    Keep putting one foot in front of the other. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, yes, and yes, Annabel. I loved reading about Andy's signed and dated promise to God. I never thought of actually writing it down. Truly these last couple of months have made me really stop to think about things and where they're (and we're) headed. I still seem to be in a bit of limbo, but I am getting there. Reading about actual practical steps is so encouraging, especially from someone that is grieving, and truly needs to recalibrate. I think I would like the gold stars!

    Bless you, Annabel.

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annabelle, what a great post! You have my admiration and respect for the way you are handling your loss. I think you are a very strong woman and are setting a fine example for so many here who can benefit from your wisdom. We are reminded that our time here is limited and your management of time and prioritizing the important things is very inspiring to me and I know to all our other friends here. I'm a list-maker, too, but must admit I'm not so good at staying focused these days so you have been most helpful in that area, too. My daily routine starts with exercise (before I get out of bed) then it's Bible reading and tea time. If I veer away from that I'm in trouble because those things aren't likely to get done if I put them off. So, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with us. I keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bless you Annabelle! You are ministering to many with your kindness & honesty. How good you finally know from the Bible note how Andy was able to quit his addiction. I respect him so much for that! And to see it in a formal declaration in his Bible means the world! He left a wonderful legacy in so many ways, as are you in the ministry work you do here. Thank you for sharing. I need to start over in a few new ways myself. Ann Austin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your heart with us, Annabel. It is such a blessing to look in on your blog and think, " how can I pray for Annabel?"
    My! Did you give us a lot to chew on. But as I read your post, I kept thinking of Laine and how she would get up early to meet with God. May you be inspired by her example as well.
    Blessings,
    Leslie in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Annabel, what a thought provoking post. Thankyou for sharing Andy's journey and your own life adjustments - it is so inspiring for me. Much love Clare

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sudden loss is exceptionally difficult and, for me, there were days when I didn't know where to start ... other than telling myself "just breathe!" List-making made life so much easier, and I'm glad you found this way to help you move forward, too. When my husband passed, I was still working full time in an office and had to be able to prioritize my work, to meet critical deadlines. I then started doing the same for my home life. It's been nearly 10 years, and I'm still making my daily and weekly lists, to help keep me organized, my space tidy, and to meet my appointments and other meetings. Keep moving forward, one step at a time, and soon you'll be running at full pace (with an occasional stumble or mis-step -- it's normal and happens to all of us; we just all stick together and support one another). Prayer helps, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Annabel,
    This is such a good post! I enjoy all your posts, though I don't usually comment. You are being so wise in your processing of change and seeing the most important change, which is time with the Lord. I am like how you have been, and am working to make real time to sit and study the word and pray.
    God will bless your time with him!

    Deanna Rabe

    ReplyDelete
  19. As many have said above on this post, thank you. My husband passed away a bit more than a year ago, and it was indeed overpowering when I realized I had a blank slate. I am still working to fill it in. But in some ways it is wondrous to have the freedom to decide. I have recently started reading the Bible but not the usual way (since I never got more than a few pages and then gave up). On the internet look up “Bible in a year podcast” with Father Mike Schmidt. Each day is a 20-25 minute session. It is free, I am on day 27! Anyway if you find the straight reading is difficult, try this, so far I am a huge fan. Love and healing prayers to you, Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Annabel, while reading I got very emotional and, as English is not my native language, I am not able to write more than: YOU have my love, respect and admiration! Thank you,

    Laura_s_world from Romania

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Annabel, I am currently looking at my schedule and home in a different light. My days are not blank slates but I am shaking up my routines and trying to do things differently. Bless you and may God keep you. Terri/BlueHouseJournal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts