Back to Basics. Miracle Cleaner.

I have to thank Jane so much for her instructions on how to make miracle cleaner.   She is extremely good at steps anyone can follow for a successful result.   I am very thankful as I seem to be able to manage the Friday post (which I keep in mind all week) but I would never have managed to continue this series after Andy's death without  Jane, Chloe and Bridget.  It was just beyond me. 




Miracle Cleaner is an absolute basic in my home.  I've been making it for at least ten years.  Nothing leaves you whole house smelling as clean and fresh.  You can tackle things like the kitchen bin, the bathroom, the kitchen sink and surfaces...  some in the water for the floor mopping...  most things really.  A little on a rag for damp dusting is another.   Back on my old blog I shared the basic recipe and how I make up my own damp cleaning cloths which you can see here-   Clean and Fresh.   This is so cheap but so good.  It eliminates the need for many purchased products most of which are very expensive these days and may of them have hazardous chemicals that we probably should be avoiding.  

So over to Jane!  

(Note please ignore the numbers I cannot for the life of me get them to be where they should be.)

How to make Miracle Cleaner

Hello Lovelies. I first came across Miracle Cleaner 15-20 years ago, when I saw Cath Armstrong demonstrating making it up, on TV. At the time I was looking at ways to simplify my home. One cleaner to do most jobs, rather than specialty cleaners for everything, really appealed to me. I went out and bought the ingredients needed the following day.

From that first batch that I made, I have been a convert to this cleaner. Both my adult children have used this cleaner. My daughter’s husband couldnt see how Miracle Cleaner could clean properly because it is home made and not the special purpose brands that he wanted in their home. That went on until Katie had to go back to work between Spencer and Toby. Spencer went with Jared to work (a family owned business) and I offered my help in the form of cleaning once a week. I used Miracle Cleaner for everything. Jared became a convert. 


Ingredients

Washing Soda. Aussie ladies you will find this in the laundry powder isle of the supermarket. I have only ever found Lectric Washing Soda. Ladies from elsewhere in the world, washing soda is Sodium Carbonate. On the back of the Lectric Washing Soda package is the recipe and other tips for use.



Vinegar- I just use cheap home brand. 

Dishwashing liquid- This will determine the colour of your spray. (I purchase mine in bulk)

Fragrance oils. The Lectra recipe calls for Eucalyptus Oil. I prefer using water soluble lavender oil. I just prefer this fragrance. Aussie ladies this is found near the Pandol in the supermarket.

You will also need a measuring jug, dessert spoon, smaller measuring cup- I use a medicine cup, kettle and something to keep your mix in. I have two bottles I got from Kmart years ago, (both 1L), a large spray bottle for the laundry/bathroom(1L) and a smaller spray bottle for under the sink. 



  1. Put your kettle on to boil.
  2. Measure three dessert spoons of washing soda and place in a measuring jug. Pour over boiling water. I pour over 500ml. Stir until the soda is dissolved.      


  3. Add 60ml of dishwashing liquid and stir through 


  1. Add 30ml of eucalyptus or your favourite scented oil. This is a cleaner so choose something with good cleaning properties. I use water soluble lavender oil. Stir through 


  2. Add in 300ml of vinegar and stir through 


  1. The recipe calls for 1.5L of water in total in the mix. I need to add another 1L to this mix. I did this in a larger jug but did not take a photo. I used the larger jug to pour the mix into the storage bottles and spray bottles. 


  2. Edited to add. I made two batches of this mix. If it was one batch I would have filled one storage bottle and one spray bottle. I am telling you this just to give you a guide on how much of the cleaner you will end up with. 

I use this cleaner in the bathroom for cleaning the bath and shower and bathroom sink.  I use it to clean all around the loo plus I use it instead of toilet cleaner. I have a 40 yr old falling apart kitchen that needs constant cleaning to look semi reasonable. I use this cleaner. I spray my vintage dining table with this cleaner when needed. I spray this cleaner on my outside tables. I use the cleaner in my mop bucket for my tiled floors.  I clean the consoles and interior of my car with this cleaner. I love it for cleaning the blades of my ceiling fans. I use it to clean all the grubby little hand marks off my hallway walls, after the Grandies have been visiting. 

Just a few points, and I know others (Cath) will add more. Be careful of the surfaces you use this on. Do a test clean first. If you use too much it will leave a cloudy streaky finish. It will do this on your floors as well. My house is white tiles all the way through. When I mop I use a glug of cleaner in a full bucket of hot water. I have never had issues with either the level of clean or the leaving behind of streaks. I tend to use this cleaner at full strength. I know others like to dilute it down. 

I use the same method for washing down walls. I add a glug of cleaner to a mop bucket of hot water, a clean mop head, and then I mop down walls. 

The ingredients for this cleaner last for a long time. The initial cost is minimal for the cleaners. If you reuse containers and spray bottles, there is no cost involved. I see Miracle Cleaner as a Cheap and effective cleaning product.





Thank you Jane!   💗  If you keep on hand the basic ingredients you have the ability to make up Miracle Cleaner that will keep your home clean and fresh for many years to come.  It goes so far!   

If you are wondering why Jane's Miracle cleaner is a different colour to mine...   (I also use Eucalyptus oil)  the colour of your dish washing liquid pretty much determines the final colour so you can easily have green, yellow, pink etc as you wish.   I always save bottles...   right now I have a heap of great shaped screw top bottles and I am thinking to make up some cleaning kits.   


Have a good week, see you on Friday! xxx








Comments

  1. Thankyou Annabel and Jane, you have motivated me to make this up again. It was all I used for years and recently got out of the habit. Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare making Miracle cleaner is a habit worth getting back into.

      Delete
  2. I have been using this cleaner for 5-6 years. For your USA readers, look for Arm & Hammer washing soda in the yellow box in the laundry aisle.

    These are the measurements I use (close to Cath's but in cups and spoons)
    1 cup boiling water--to dissolve washing soda
    2 tablespoons washing soda
    Additional 5-1/2 cups water
    1/3 to 1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup dishwashing liquid (I use Dawn) (use your finger to get all of it out of the measuring cup)
    5 teaspoons eucalyptus oil

    This makes more or less 1/2 gallon. It is fantastic stuff! Just don't use it on mirrors because the oil leaves smears that are REALLY hard to get off.

    This stuff is so good that it is used to clean employee housing (think nurses and EMTs) at the helicopter base where my daughter-in-law works. She's a heli pilot flying emergency medical service (air ambulance) in Wyoming, USA, and has turned all of her fellow employees on to it. Thanks Annabel and and Jane for posting about this.

    Annabel...thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recipe

      Delete
    2. TY for the US friendly measurements...I don't buy a lot of cleaners but I thought when this lot I have now run out I will give it a try. I know that due to our having manufactured flooring I can't use it on my floors, (their care instructions say NO soap for one and NO oil for the other floors) but I can certainly use it on everything else!

      Delete
  3. Oops, that was me--Maxine aka mikemax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this recipe. I knew one was out there somewhere. I want to make this cleaner as I have heard great stuff about it. Just an FYI for ladies in the USA who may not know---washing soda is sold under the name Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. I use it when making my DIY laundry powder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you both so much for this post! I love miracle cleaner! It's saved me so much money, not to mention breathing easier when cleaning! I'm not sure my cleaning supplies will ever look as pretty as the bottles of Miracle Cleaner in this post, but it's inexpensive and so very useful! I've use it with good results on stains and kitty litter boxes! Mine is scented with a citrus scent. So lovely!
    Annabel, I pray for you each day. I'm so sorry for your loss. But so thankful that you have God to comfort you.
    With much love,
    Stacy in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jane and Annabel! I really must give this a try, it is a great way to eliminate toxic chemicals from our homes. Your cleaning bottles look so pretty🩷🩷

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annabel and Jane, when I first made up this recipe and posted on the Cheapskates site I explained the quantities were to make 2 litres. I made the recipe as one of my daughters was diagnosed as allergic to a great long multi syllable form of chlorine that is apparently in every cleaner available in the supermarkets at the time ( we’re talking probably 15-20 years ago before ‘green’ products became trendy). The eucalyptus oil not only cleans but is antiseptic, although I do like the fresh smell it leaves, at a pinch I’ve also used tea tree oil, I always use the 100% oil rather than diluted versions for this reason, lavender is also antibacterial so is a good swap. I store mine under the sink in old vinegar bottles that’s why it makes 2 litres. The original recipe melts the soda in 1 cup boiling water which is usually enough to use if you stir well, and then it cools quicker. You can also buy larger amounts of sodium carbonate cheaper in the pool supply section at Bunnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy it is wonderful to hear from the original maker of this cleaner. I have to thank you so much for making this recipe available to us. I am a chronic asthmatic and regular cleaners make it impossible to breathe. This cleaner has been a household staple since I discovered it through Cath. I am going to check out the Bunnings pool supply section to up my supply levels. Thank you so much.

      Delete
    2. Joy, how nice to meet the inventor of Miracle Spray! Thank you so much!
      --Maxine, aka mikemax

      Delete
  8. I’ve seen this recipe on here for several years and always intended to make it but never did til today. (I used Dawn dish liquid, so mine is blue. I used lavender essential oil because I did not have eucalyptus oil on hand). I’m very excited about it. I cleaned my shower with it and it did as well as commercial cleaners without the “knock you out smell.” I just had a couple of questions about properly using it. Of course, I rinsed it in the shower, but when you use it on your kitchen counters (benches) or cabinets or other surfaces, do you wipe with a wet cloth or dry cloth? Do you spray it on the cloth or on the surface of what you’re cleaning? And after doing so, do you need to rinse whatever surface you cleaned? I wasn’t really concerned about the vinegar but didn’t know if it was ok not to rinse with having dish liquid in it. Sorry if those sound like silly questions, but wanted to use it correctly. Thank you again Annabel & Jane for this frugal recipe. I read every single post although I haven’t commented in a long time because I always seemed to have trouble with it deleting. Annabel, you have been in my prayers. You are such an amazing example even during adverse circumstances. Thank you for all you do…….Vicky in Ky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Jane, for all your work on this post! And thank you, Annabel for sharing it. I am late adding my thanks, but life is busier as Spring approaches.
    Blessings,
    Leslie in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  10. To make this even more economical, make your own Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate) by putting Baking Soda (Bicarbonate Soda) on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 200ºF for an hour. Here in the States, Baking Soda is at least half the price of washing soda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll going to make up bottles of this as gifts to my daughters.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts