Back to basics. How to make Play Doh.

If you have children's grandchildren, nieces, nephews... friends with kids... homemade play doh is a must.  A little bucket with some cookie cutters and some play doh is a beautiful and very inexpensive gift.  I always save any little buckets with lids ie the honey bucket... because they are perfect.  Recently we did play doh for the boys and added dinosaurs and rocks.  Great success!   For the girls we have added glitter.   It can be really personalised!   

Over to my Chloe, my helper...  


 Hello Lovely Ladies

Firstly, thankyou to everyone for all the messages you have left for Mum after the sudden loss of Andy. What a blessing to be lifted up by so much prayer and support. 

This morning I was entertaining my boys with a fresh batch of playdough and I thought why not write it up for anyone that doesn’t realise how easy it is to make or for those who need a reminder and a good recipe.





Here in Australia the most well known brand is Play-Doh, which sells for around $3 per 100 grams. It is made in China and there is no ingredients list, it simply says non-toxic and not suitable for children under 2. 

Both my boys have played with it from around 12 months old, so something “taste safe” was important to me, not to mention the convenience of something that can be whipped up at a moments notice for mere cents per batch. 





So I let the boys pick which colour they would like and then I gather my supplies. Plain flour, table salt, cream of tartar, coconut oil and food colouring (and essential oil if you like). 




To a saucepan add 2 cups of plain flour, 3/4 cup salt, 4 teaspoons cream of tartar, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 2 cups of water and your add ins - food colouring, essential oil for a lovely scent and glitter for a bit of fun. If you would prefer a few different colours from the one batch then prepare it uncoloured and then divide the cooked dough amongst some snap lock bags each with a few drops of the colouring you want. You can mix them inside the bags to save your hands from being coloured. 


Give it all a mix then heat it over a medium heat while stirring continuously. It starts out very wet. If you have not made it before you will wonder how this soupy mix could possibly result in anything but have faith! After just a few minutes of mixing over the heat it will start to come together. Once it has formed a big ball of dough that you really can’t stir around anymore then remove it from the saucepan and let it cool on the counter top (don’t forget to soak your saucepan straight away to help with cleanup later). 

Even now it will look like a bit of a mess but as soon as it’s cool enough to handle knead it up and it suddenly becomes a smooth and soft and lovely playdough!  If you keep this in an airtight container it will last for months! 


Knowing that I make this regularly, I keep an eye out for supplies like cream of tartar and big bags of salt when it’s on special. It means I can make up a batch for almost nothing. This recipe makes around 1 kilo of dough and based on average prices that’s $30 worth! To buy something “taste safe” with an actual ingredients list can be around $5 per 100 grams…. So that would make my batch worth over $50!!! This is crazy to me but it is true. 




We use playdough almost everyday. Sometimes I pit it out with toy diggers, sometimes with my cookie cutters and rollers from the kitchen and sometimes we roll it out flat and use it as a play base for a scene of dinosaurs or farmyard. 

The boys will sit up at the table and play for ages which allows me time to prepare something in the kitchen for the day. 




I remember as kids my sister and I used to make elaborate cookies to serve with invisible tea. We would serve everyone up a selection and to our horror our grandfather would often take a bite and swallow some. We had grave concerns for him as he clearly didn’t understand that these were just for pretend (bless him he played along so well with us knowing that Nana had made it from safe pantry staples) but he always survived and it’s become a fond memory for us both now. 





Play is such an important part of childhood, for the development of imagination, concentration and hand strength etc plus a child playing happily allows a little time for us to get something done or even fix ourselves a cup of tea… so whip up a batch ladies and hopefully everyone involved enjoys it. 





x Chloe



Thanks again to Chloe.   I hope this basic is a helper and money saver for you.xxx

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing the economical recipe! We have 2 of our granddaughters every day (ages 3 & 5), our oldest grandson (age 3) Tuesday afternoons and the other grandson (age 3) for our Cousin Day Thursdays, and are always trying to come up with something fun to do with them during our wet winters days.

    Blessings to you and the whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh thank you for the wonderful idea . Love the idea so when the great grandson comes to play here I can send it home and knowing what is in it makes it safe for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom made this same playdough and it is such a fond memory and of course I made it for our children as well. I would like to caution against essential oils though since they are taken up through the palms of the hands to every cell in the body except the liver. It is is easy to overdose a small child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this recipe, Chloe! My boys love play dough, but you are right about the questionable ingredients and the expense. I'd love to make this for them.
    The bit about your grandpa taking a bite out of your play dough cookie made me smile. My dad did the same thing when I was little. He thought they were real cookies but one bite and me yelling, "No Daddy! They're play dough" had him running to the sink 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. I taught preschool before I “retired” to care for my grandchildren. Food coloring can be expensive but a package of kool aid adds bright color and a scent at a decent price. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this tip with us, it will be perfect for my granddaughter 😊🌸.

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Chloe for sharing this. I have made play dough many times for my kids. But they are all older, now. But this is a great gift idea. And I know my children would love an afternoon of making play dough for all the little people they know!
    Thanks for sharing photos of your little men. They are so expressive. 😊
    My family continues to pray for yours!
    Blessings,
    Leslie in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Chloe

    When DD13 was little I always made up my own play doh and there are heaps of recipes on the internet. I used one that you just boiled the jug to add the hot water into the ingredients and it was well used lasting around 6 months per batch we made. I know use this recipe to make up and send back home to friend's children.

    We used to put in essential oils. I used to also either put in a new toy or cookie cutter shape when preparing or sometimes while she was sleeping I would hide toys inside and set it up for playtime when she woke up and as she was rolling out the shapes it was a surprise making new shapes or footprints in the play doh

    You are correct there is lots of fun to be had. We made the alphabet with the play doh and this was how we learnt the alphabet both in capital letters and small letters

    Enjoy the fun playing with the boys

    Take Care
    Aly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cream of tartar is not easily available in some countries. It is a white powder found in the baking aisle, or in the pharmacy, where it is known by its scientific name of tartaric acid, or potassium bitartrate. Any type of vegetable oil can be used, but coconut sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made playdough often as a mom, grandma, and kindergarten teacher. I would make the kool ade recipe and it would last for quite a few months. Using the kool ade gave the extra sensory aspect and the kids loved the scents! Playdough helped the kids learn to use scissors and introduced them to how to use a knife (dull) properly and safely. I used playdough to teach just about everything: alphabet, numbers, words, punctuation, math and science concepts (ie, insects, houses, plant parts...). The list goes on and on. And the things the children made were so creative. Just listening to them talk while they created was so interesting and joyful to me. Thanks, Chloe and Annabel for the encouragement in being self sufficient. Annabel, please continue to take care of yourself. You and yours are till in my daily prayers. Marley

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a preschool teacher, I made many, many batches of this. I also used it to teach color mixing. For example, I would give each of them a small ball of yellow and one of blue. Such amazed faces as they made green.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great article. What a precious lil boy. I will do this with my Grandaughter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts