Back to basics. Laundry soap.

This week we have a guest post by Jane.   She has been making her laundry soap for many years.    I wrote a post which you can find here back when I was writing the "How to beat rising prices"  posts.  Little did I know that we would look back on 2019 fondly and only dream about it!   It is now possible to pay $20 to $60 for laundry liquid or capsules.   A big family is going to go through a lot of laundry in a year!   This is an area you can save an absolute fortune. 

If you have been wanting to learn to make soap, laundry soap is a good place to start.  It is like putting one toe into the water!   If you would like to make a washing powder rather than a liquid this one at The Cheapskates Club is wonderful.   Cath began making this when her baby has eczema.     Now over to Jane...



How to Make Laundry Liquid

Step One

Gather your supplies. 

  1. You will need containers to store the laundry liquid in. I use old plastic vinegar bottles. Your containers need to have the capacity to have a good shake before each wash. This liquid will separate. A good shake and it is good to go.
  2. Measuring cup
  3. Kettle of boiling water
  4. 10L bucket and access to a tap for cold water
  5. Stick blender
  6. Small jug to decant liquid into containers

Ingredients

  • 1 cup Pure soap flakes. I used softly soap flakes. You can use your own grated pure soap flakes.
  • ½ cup ,Borax
  • ½ Washing Soda




Step 1. Place the ingredients in a 10L bucket where there is direct access to a cold water tap.





Step 2. Pour a kettle full of boiling water over the soap, borax and washing soda. Use a stick blender to make sure all the ingredients are melted together and well mixed.






Step 3. Turn the cold water tap on to low flow and let it fill the bucket. While the water is flowing, use the stick blender and continuously blend the liquid. 




Step 4. When the bucket is full turn off the tap. At this point I add water soluble lavender oil. You can add what you like in essential oils here. Some people, (think Annabel), like to add some drops of colouring here.




Step 5. Use your jug to pour the water into your chosen containers. Make sure that you leave good headspace. The mix will separate and needs a good shake before each wash. The headspace allows the mix to incorporate well. 






Step 5. Allow your liquid to cool. It will become more gel like as it cools. My children used to call it washing snot when they were little. Put the lids on and store the liquid till needed. I store mine under the washing tub. 

Other uses for your Laundry Liquid (aka washing snot)

Cleaning paste. In the photo you will see I have some of the liquid in a jar. I will spoon some of this into a bowl and add bicarb soda until I get a paste. This paste is a brilliant cleaner. I use it in the shower when greasy grotty husbands and extra greasy grotty sons have used the shower. It is a wonderful and powerful cleaning paste, something similar to Gumption Paste.

Stainless steel cleaner.  Just place a small amount on a cleaning cloth and use on stainless steel items.  It cleans them simply and easily.


Thank you so much Jane!   


For those in the US Ivory flakes are a very similar product to softly.  Or you can grate a bar of Zote...  better still pink Zote and get pink liquid!  😊


I cannot tell you how much fun it is to have a soap making session and see a year (or more) worth of bottles lined up!   It smells so good! 

I hope this will lead into other soap making.   Knowing how to make simple cleaning products is an important skill.   Keeping the basic ingredients on hand means whatever comes you can whip up a batch of laundry soap to keep you going.     I keep softly,  bars of soap,  electric soda,  borax,  eucalyptus oil,  vinegar, bi carb soda... well stocked.  With these you can make anything from dish washer cleaner to laundry to kitchen cleaners.   I basically cannot run out as these will always make me a couple of years supply.  

Soap sounds so basic... but during the war years and the depression... soaps were so valued,  so sought after.   One or two days without soap and we remember why!   Always keep ahead on soaps! xxx





Comments

  1. I use grated sunlight soap, and usually either tea tree or eucalyptus oil in mine. I also used Passata bottles to store it in rather than plastic ones. I do find that it is a better result if i use a scoop as a pre wash cycle and another scoop for the wash cycle. Or a scoop of vanish for pre wash if it is a load of whites… this seems to be fine in our septic system so no issues there. For the shower i use a Mimi concoction of bicarb and washing up liquid. Seems to last longer between scrubs!! Missy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy I am an accident looking for a place to happen. I did use glass bottles at one point, until I managed to drop and smash a few of them. So it is back to the plastic vinegar bottles for me. We lived on septic when I first started making this laundry liquid and we never had an issue with it. It is why I started using the bicarb with it as a paste in the bathroom. We also lived in the tropics so cleaning the humid bathroom had to happen a few times a week. The paste just worked so well. Now I only use the paste when the men have been working on machinery and come inside literally covered in grease.

      Delete
  2. How much in a front loader please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a detergent drawer with a line in my front loader. I fill to the line. I'd estimate that to be about half a cup.

      Delete
  3. Jane,
    Thank you for doing this post for Annabel. I love that you have all the pictures to go along with the instructions.
    You make it look so easy! I am going to get the ingredients together and stock them, as right now I do have enough laundry detergent for the year. But I will admit your soap recipe sounds great and love knowing all that is in it.
    Thank you again, I can't wait to save bottles to use. Plus being here in US, I will look for the pink Zote soap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home depot carries zote in the cleaning supplies aisle. I have also seen it at Walmart and Kroger/King Soopers

      Delete
    2. Rosanne I love having the ingredients to be able to whip up a batch as needed. In our life we have been cut off from the stores due to cyclones that left flooded and washed out roads, plus trees down. We were able to keep clean and help our neighbours out as well. The laundry liquid is as easy as it sounds. It takes me twenty minutes start to finish to get 10L made up.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Jane, for all your hard work in presenting this tutorial. I make my own laundry soap as well. My husband struggles with dry skin and eczema. And I had babies with tender skin when I began making laundry soap. Now, I can't imagine Not making soap. The scented laundry soaps are so overpowering! I use the dry recipe from The Prudent Homemaker. Follow that with line-drying our clothes and everything smells amazing and so fresh!
    I also use my soap + tea tree oil to mop my floors. Works so well.
    Blessings,
    Leslie in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie for reminding me of the soap recipe on The Prudent Homemaker's site, another great, frugal site to follow. Linda

      Delete
    2. Thank you Leslie. I started making this recipe up for much the same reasons as you. My skin and commercial soaps and laundry products just dont go well together.

      Delete
  5. Thank you Jane and Annabel!
    I love making laundry soap. I haven't for awhile because I got many bottles free when couponing was good, but I keep the supplies on hand to make laundry soap, I normally use Fels Naptha because it is what my grandmothers used. Many have been conditioned to believe that everything needs a special soap or cleaner when most of the time the basics work well and cost so much less.
    With the way prices are going I sincerely hope that more will give it a go and save a little of their budget. It's easy to do and works so well!
    XOXO
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these instructions, Jane! I would like to give it a try. I just saw the price of my usual detergent has gone up to $20 per jug. I always wait until it goes on sale, but this recipe would save a small fortune even over that. I've been too chicken to make my own detergent, as the last (one and only) time I did, it faded my clothes badly. It was powdered and had some extra ingredients. Yours looks pretty safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for these instructions, Jane! I would like to give it a try. I just saw the price of my usual detergent has gone up to $20 per jug. I always wait until it goes on sale, but this recipe would save a small fortune even over that. I've been too chicken to make my own detergent, as the last (one and only) time I did, it faded my clothes badly. It was powdered and had some extra ingredients. Yours looks pretty safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made the recipe above for a long time. Now I make a dry recipe:
    2 cups borax
    2 cups washing soda
    1 bar fels naptha or zote, grated
    Mix all together. Use 1-2 tablespoons/ load (I use 1)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Jane and Annabel,
    Every lit bit of knowledge helps at this point in time. Prices are going up so quickly and we need to be very careful because we really don’t know what’s around the corner.
    Blessings Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to make homemade laundry soap all the time, but got out of the habit when we moved and things got busy. I made a dry powder that could also be used for cleaning surfaces. Maybe I will get back into that, instead of spending a fortune on Tide every month. We do a lot of laundry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts