Back to basics. How to make easy scones.

This week we have a guest post by my daughter Chloe.   She is sharing her sour dough scone recipe and I am following with my gluten free and Hilde's easy scone recipes.    This is because scones are like pancakes... they are delicious basics that everyone loves,  they feed a crowd,  cost very little... truly a very valuable basic!

As many of you know I am in South Australia.  Scones to us are both savoury and sweet.  Probably most often scones are served with jam and cream.   However they can be served with soup or made as a topping on something in the way a dumpling is used.   Cheese, bacon, pumpkin can be added to the mix to make various savoury scones which are very good in lunch boxes.   I am not sure if scones are the exact same things as biscuits in the US but I think they are basically the same.   Please let me know what you think! 

Another point highlighted here is something Mum taught me and I have always followed...  now you will see Chloe has taken it on board.  ALWAYS feed the workers.  Whoever is here during the day is offered tea,  coffee,  morning tea and lunch.   I cannot tell you the results from this which are everything from just being kind to long time loyal workers and friends,  workers who go the extra mile,  more work in a day,  workers who always want to come back to your place and more!

Over to Chloe...

 Hello lovely ladies 

At our house, “smoko” (morning tea) is a part of every day. We start our days early so it’s a long stretch between breakfast and lunch. For the kids it’s a helpful milestone to reach (you need to play until this time) or a good excuse to head inside after a morning of outdoor play to get some jobs done or to sit and tackle a school lesson. 
When the weather permits we sit outside on a huge table that my grandfather gave me. He had had it made for a tearoom on one of his work sites and over the years it must have had 100’s of hungry hard working men and visitors sit down at it for good food and good conversation. I think he would like that it’s still used for that purpose (and our own little family) now. 
A hearty morning tea seems to reinvigorate most men and despite the time lost to sit down and share it, there always seems to be more work achieved afterwards. 
Smoko doesn’t need to be expensive or time consuming. In fact I find men (and children) seem to most enjoy the old fashioned basics. 
A recent smoko favourite at our house has been sourdough scones. I find so many great recipes over at farmhouseonboone and this is another of hers The Best Sourdough Discard Scones Recipe - Farmhouse on Boone
If I intend to make these then the night before I will pull my sourdough starter out of the fridge, feed it and leave it out on my counter. 
The next morning after breakfast I’ll whip up the dry ingredients (she says to use frozen butter but I never do, straight from the fridge has always worked just fine for me). I’ve added in frozen blueberries which was lovely but the plain ones are still perfectly yummy. 
Then you mix up the wet ingredients separately and then mix it all just until it comes together enough to shape and cut (don’t over mix it).





Rather than roll out the dough and use a scone cutter, just press it into a rough circle and use your dough scraper (or a knife if you don’t have one) to cut it into 8 equal portions. This is so simple and you don’t need to wash a rolling pin or scone cutters! Arrange the portions on a tray and let them chill in the fridge for 30mins. This is when I preheat my oven, tidy up the kitchen and lay out my tray ready to cart all the supplies to the table (tea, coffee, butter, jam, cream etc). 
Just before popping them in the oven, give them a brush with cream and a little sprinkle of sugar if you like. 




When the weather is nice, we head outdoors. 
Mum gave me a huge serving tray (it only just fits through the doorway without knocking my knuckles) so I can carry the whole oven tray out and keep them warm until everyone arrives.
Now days it seems less and less common for people to be hospitable and the fellas who I have offered morning tea to (tradesman and the like that we don’t often see) have seemed shocked and grateful to be included. To them a simple scone seems to be a big deal! How happily and eagerly they carry on work after a scone! 





I’ve also never witnessed a child misbehave or grumble when there is something yummy to sit up at the table for…
Being home on the farm means the men are often working close enough to pop back to the house to join us but of course it’s just as important to pop something filling into their lunch boxes if you know they won’t make it home. It’s not expensive to buy a slim ice pack to keep in the freezer to send alongside a cool drink or to have a sturdy thermos to send a hot coffee but to them it will make the day spent working out in the elements far more comfortable (plus they will think of you as they unwrap their lunch and discover what treats you have sent them). 
I hope those of you that try the scones enjoy them! 
Happy baking Ladies x


Hilde's easy scones.

Hilde was a wonderful friend of mine and the best cook!  

300ml carton of cream. (10 oz)
The same container the cream came in, filled with milk..
3 and half cups of self raising flour.
Mix to a dough.   Cut into thick rounds.  Place close together and bake in a hot oven about 20 minutes.
That's it!

Now for my scones.  No matter what I tried for 40 years I could not make them.  They turned out like rocks.  Once my Nana stood right next to make to oversee and they still were rocks.  Nana was an amazed.   Eventually one day I decided to ignore all the rules...  which were to cut in the butter,  handle lightly etc.  and I placed the ingredients in my bread maker to be kneaded.  These turned out!  

Now I eat gluten free and so does Mum.    I pretty much just use GF flour in any recipe rather than have special recipes.   My favourite flour is Woolworths ...





Pretty much wherever you live GF flour is available now.    It is whiter than regular flour so things look paler...   sometimes you need a little more flour with GF.   Some times things don't rise as well.
I experimented and this is my even-I-can't-mess-this-up- scone recipe.

One whole packet 750g Self Raising GF flour.  (1.6 lbs)
About 100 grams butter,  (3.5 oz)
2 cups milk,
1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
1 egg.

Yes, I add baking powder to already Self raising flour...  it helps.  The egg also helps them rise.   Melt the butter to soft.  Mix all together to a soft dough.  I do this in my Kitchen Aid.   If it is too sticky add a bit more flour until it is soft but you can handle it.  You want a nice smooth bread like dough.  Flour a board and cut out thick rounds (about an inch thick)  then place on a baking sheet or dish. 





 I always use non stick paper but you don't have to.  Bake in a pre heated, fairly hot,  oven (200C) for 20 minutes.   
That is it.  For pumpkin I add about half a cup of pumpkin puree then mix it and add extra flour until the dough is nice.  Or add cheese.  Or add sultanas.  Or add chopped dates.  





They freeze perfectly so I always double this amount.   With GF baking I find to serve always serve warm or fresh out of the oven.   They are delicious.   




If you have a gluten free friend and make these you will be loved forever!

Finally,  for some added basics goodness watch Emmy here on Frugal Money Saver.  Her list of meals... her planner... so lovely! 

If you have a scone/biscuit recipe please share your version!   Also please share how you use them to feed your family, stretch a meal,  feed visitors or whatever you do.   I find that a basket of fresh warm scones seem to delight men, women and children of all ages.   They are worth their weight in gold! xxx



Comments

  1. Thank you Chloe and Annabel for your recipes. I absolutely love scones. You are both very admirable homemakers. I am so happy to have a gluten free recipe.
    Since we are big fans of frozen blueberries, we add them to most muffins made here. They will be wonderful for the scones, also.
    Thank you again.
    Love and hugs,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri @Blue House Journal. I think scones and American biscuits are very closely related for sure. Some make biscuits with butter but I was taught to use shortening or even lard. My grandmothers had dough bowls (wooden bowls) that they used which they kept flour in. They'd make a well, add the fat, then milk or buttermilk and then they'd squish that fat into tiny pieces within the milk. Then gradually they'd scoop in flour until the dough formed. Like you I could never ever get the hang of this and my biscuits were horrible. I finally sat down with a cookbook and tried the most likely sounding recipe and voila! I made perfectly lovely biscuits! I still use that same recipe to this day, now going on 50 years!

    When we had the work ongoing here on the house last month a few days were freezing cold and had stiff westerly breezes to add to the misery. I made soup and asked the men to have some on more than one occasion when it was so cold and they were so glad to have that bit of hot food as they worked indoors and out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So in the US we can use what we call half and half, 2 1/2 cups, in place of the cream and milk in Hilde's recipe. I am happy to have this recipe since I often have half and half that needs to be used up.

    When we had kids at home I often put biscuits in the oven to fill out a meal that seemed to need more. Our teenage boys could easily eat a half dozen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My all time favourite go to scone recipe is buttermilk scones. The recipe comes from a book I have called Grandma’s Baking 😊 but I have tweaked it to suit our taste

    450g self raising flour
    110g butter
    1 TBS sugar
    300ml buttermilk
    1 tsp vanilla

    Cut butter into self raising flour, add remaining ingredients, bring together with a flat bladed knife, gently and briefly knead until a soft dough is formed. Cut out your scones. Bake in 220 degree celcius oven 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.

    From Cheryl 🐦

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your feed the workers. We had me reroofing our house. The temps were over 100 degrees F. I was taking them fruit juice and water all day long. I also took them nice cold grapes in the afternoon. They were totally surprised. They did a great job. And when the boss discovered how well we had treated his workers he gave use a discount on some additional work we needed to have done. Our motto as always treat the workers as you would like to be treated. Nancy in Vancouver, WA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annabelle thanks for sharing Chloe's guest post! I haven't made scones in ages. She uses a recipe from the same lovely blog I got started with my sourdough starter last year and am so pleased with every recipe I make from Farmhouse on Boone. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the scone recipes and encouragement! We love both scones and biscuits in our household, and I often double batch cook both. My scone recipe is "vanilla scones" from a blog called "Stuck on Sweet". These are no fail for me, and they don't require much kneeding. The mixer does most of the work! Like Chloe, I use a knife to cut into pie shape pieces and then bake. I freeze in two person servings for afternoon tea. The recipe can be modified by leaving out most of the sugar. This is a fantastic idea for breakfast for a crowd! Many thanks!
    Stacy in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the US scones are almost always triangles cut from a large circle and they are sweet and biscuits are smaller circles and not sweet. I would say that biscuits are usually lighter and fluffier than scones here. We also make a biscuit called a "Cheddar Bay" that contains about a cup of shredded cheddar, 1/2 a teaspoon of garlic powder, and either chopped chives or parsley for 12 biscuits. It comes from a biscuit served at a seafood restaurant here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for publishing this article I have passed it on to T’s mother. When they went into a supermarket to look to see what was available gf and T burst into tears, a kind lady came over to them a told them where they could get some gf products.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I look forward to each of your posts Annabel, everyone has something for everyone.
    The scone recipe I use calls for:
    2 cups all I purpose flour
    2 TBS sugar
    1 TBS baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    6 TBS butter
    1 beaten egg
    1/2 cup milk
    I put dry ingredients in my food processor and blend, add butter cut in pieces and blend well. Add beaten egg to milk and slowly add yo dry ingredients until dough cones together. Pat into a circle, cut into 8 pie shaped pieces, brush with egg wash. Bake at 425 for 12 to 15 minutes.
    Add 1/3 cup dried fruit if desired or frozen blueberries to scone mix before liquid.
    I make the scone mixture until butter is blended, bag and freeze it for an easy breakfast option.

    Annabel, would you consider doing a post on your freeze drier?


    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandmother's biscuits

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
    In a bowl mix:
    2 cups all purpose flour
    4 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt

    use a serving spoon to scoop up shortening the size of a large egg. Add it to the dry ingredients and blend with a pastry cutter.

    break 1 egg into a 1 cup measure; whisk up egg
    fill the cup to the top with milk

    Pour the cup pf milk with the egg in it into the dry ingredients. Mix with a spoon just until all ingredients are incorporated. If tmix is too dry add a bit more milk.

    You can then roll out dough. it is sticky, but dusting top and bottom with flour when rolling out will help. Or roll between 2 sheets of waxed paper. I prefer to make drop biscuits from a spoon. I just scoop up even amounts onto a cookie sheet. They have nice craggy tops when they bake.

    Bake for 15-20 minutes, Watch closely.

    For a sweet biscuit (I do this for strawberry shortcake) add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to the dry ingredients. I grew up using sweet biscuits (instead of shortcake) broken up in a bowl with sweetened crushed strawberries poured over top followed by a generous dollop of whipped cream.

    I love to serve the unsweetened biscuits straight from the oven with butter and jam.

    I love this back to basics series! Thank you! Deanna In Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Chloe! I appreciate the explanation of the morning snack or "smoko" as well. Can't wait to try this recipe. I enjoy Lisa's blog and podcast. Very informative.
    Thank you, Annabel for including the other 2 recipes as well. My gang loves scones and biscuits.
    And with the 9th of January almost upon us, a very Happy Birthday!!! So glad I share my special day with such a wonderful, inspiring, and thrifty lady.
    My best to all the Bluebirds,
    Leslie in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  13. When my DH and I were first married, he was in the Marine Corps. He used to invite other young marines over for dinner, sometimes with no notice. One time after the guests left he said that he thought I might make something extra for dinner. I told him, " You know those biscuits we had with dinner? Those were extra."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the recipes! My scone recipe is as follows: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/3c. plus 1 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp.baking powder, 1/4 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt, 8 Tbs. unsalted butter - frozen, 1/2 c. raisins or dried currants, 1/2 c. sour cream, 1 large egg. In medium bowl mix flour, 1/3 c. sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater. Use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in raisins. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Place dough on a lighly floured surface and pat into a 7 to 8 inch circle about 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp of sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into triangles, place on parchment lined cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake at 400* about 15-17 minutes until golden brown. Note: I bake mine on a Pampered Chef round pizza stone and it works perfectly. Bake them on the lower middle rack of your oven. Everyone raves about these scones. Oh, and I never add raisins or currants. I just make them plain and the are great without even butter or preserves on them. Just plain they are great! *Credit for this recipe goes to Pam Anderson who has authored some cookbooks.* -CarlaM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scones are a favorite breakfast treat in our home. For my husband and those who don't have to be concerned with gluten I use the master recipe on Sally'sbakingaddiction.com. For myself I make these gluten free, dairy free and grain free version. The recipe comes from Elana'sPantry.

    2 cups of almond flour
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup allergy free chocolate chips
    1 TBSP orange zest
    1 large egg
    3 TBSP Honey.
    In a large bowl mix together the first 4 ingredients. In a small bowl mix together the egg and honey. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients . On a parchment lined cookie sheet form a circle that is about 1/2 inch think and cut int 8 wedges. With a metal spatula slightly separate the wedges. Bake at 350 F for 10-15 minutes. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annabel, Thanks for sharing your gluten free scone recipe. 30 years of gluten free cooking and my scones have always failed. I will try again with your recipe. So many other scone variations to try also!
    Thanks again, SandieT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts