Back to basics. How to make dinner rolls.

This weeks post is by Chloe.  I had it ready to post last week when Andy died.  Like meals in the freezer, posts  ready to go are also a wonderful thing.  My Dad features here and I have to mention how a certain Aunt and other friends became famous in our family for speciality items.  At eighty years old  Dad was still talking about the sweet buns his Aunt made when he was little.  There was a light fruit cake I continually made because someone else in the family made it and he considered it the best cake ever.   Andy and I still talked about how our Nanas from the exact same era (Andy and I being the same age) made biscuits we called Cockles that were small and glued together with the palest pink icing.  Both our Nans made big jars of these to send with us if we went away on holidays.   Andy's family would be going to the beach and one of the highlights for him was this jar of biscuits!   We have learned you can be legendary if you have one good recipe and made it often!   If someone is still talking about something you baked seventy five years later  (or fifty in our case)  it must have been good.  This is the power of baking!! 


 Hello lovely Ladies.

In this world of excess and distraction, of the misleading messages we receive about the women we should be… I must say that nothing seems to be appealing to me more these days than the thought of wearing aprons over my pretty dresses and being a happy, capable homemaker surrounded by my young family. 


I remember my grandfather saying back in the day things were simpler, you could go to the country fair, find the winner of the cake baking competition and marry her and you had a pretty good chance of happiness! 



Now days young men (and plenty of my husbands friends) have been swayed by the flattering angles of beachside instagram selfies and needless to say they are now stuck paying for self tanning appointments and cooking their own dinners.  


I don’t have a bikini body (I’m not sure anyone who has had 3 kids in 4 years does!) but I am pleased to say I can make a home made sourdough dinner roll that my husband is happy to brag about - I literally caught him sending photos of them to his less fortunate friends one night. 

There is something immensely satisfying about mastering a new skill and feeling capable in your own home. Likely no one will ever see it, you won’t get any likes online or external gratification but you will be the wife/mother/daughter that makes “the best…”. 

These dinner rolls are worth sharing. The recipe is from Lisa at farmhouseonboone Easy Sourdough Dinner Rolls - Farmhouse on Boone

and they are amazing and I mean leave aside your main meal to fit in an extra roll kind of amazing. They are easy to make and cost nearly nothing, they just require planning ahead so that your sourdough starter is feed and your dough has time to rise before dinner. 






I take my starter out of the fridge and feed it when I first wake up. After breakfast is done and the kids are sat down to an activity I get my ingredients into the stand mixer and mixing for a good 10 minutes. This gives me time to clean up after breakfast, grease a bowl for my dough and set up my secret weapon: a kombucha heating mat. When our fireplace is out I found it really hard to get reliable rising results till I discovered this trick. I slide the mat in between the folds of a tea towel and place my rising dough on top covered by another tea towel. 





I can just leave this to double in size during the day and come back about 2 hours before I want to put them in the oven. 

When it’s time, I’ll butter a springform pan, divide up and shape my dough and sat the pan on the warm mat to rise again.





Half an hour before dinner I’ll give them a quick egg wash and pop them in the oven. 





When they are done I rub the top with a little butter, release the spring pan surround and serve them straight to the table on the pan bottom. I’ve never had any left over but I imagine they would make for lovely lunch rolls as well. 





I’ve spoken before about the health benefits of sourdough vs store bought white bread and the savings can be huge aswell. 

Mastering some simple filling side dishes can help to fill up hungry bellies and stretch a meal to accommodate extras or just to allow for leftovers for the next day. 

If you try them I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! 


Thank you Chloe!  As the boys grow and eat more and more staples like bread/rolls/scrolls/pizza and buns will fill them up.  


I want to thank you all for messages and prayer.   Today is one week.  Your prayers mean everything to me and I can feel them. xxx


Comments

  1. Dear Chloe, goodness this is a beautiful post. You are a magnificent writer and are inspirational- I wonder where you get all this from??!! I loved your words about being a mother and a homemaker. There is nothing that I want more than to be a good Mum, I try. I haven’t tried your sour dough, it’s on my list. But making your own food for your family is such a gift. I still remember my grandmother’s lemon tarts and shortbread. I loved my other grandmother’s spaghetti…it nourishes the soul and not just for the present, but well into the future. You are doing a wonderful job as a mother, Chloe and should be very proud of yourself.
    Love, Lily
    Continued prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and sending love and hugs .Thanks for your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't posted in the longest time. Oh how I feel your loss ! When I found out my dear stepfather had been killed in a accident 10 years ago now. It just feels like yesterday. The first month, the first year, the first birthday and holiday is always so hard ! Gosh I'm crying now ! And I feel my heart filling with sadness for you all ! It is of great comfort Andy loved God! What a wonderful thing ! Lifting you in prayer. Sonia. Sydney, NSW

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMMMMm Yummy!!!! Chloe it is bedtime but I am really feeling the need for a warm dinner roll. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Diane from Streator29 January 2024 at 06:02

    Sending many prayers and love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to Chloe for this post. My daughter has sourdough starter and I'll see if she'll give these a try this week!
    I was just devastated for you. I'm glad to know that he knew the Lord and had been drawing closer and closer to him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this! So sweet with good advice to go along with it. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the county fair and bikini body part! My nerd husband was head of the IT dept while the Star football jock from high school was down on the loading dock loading trucks? So ladies there is some wisdom for us as well. My children were filled up with our Southern US biscuits and that is a bragging rights food here! I can see why your rolls are something to brag about!

    Dear sister, I continue to pray for you and hold you close in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the county fair and bikini body part! My nerd husband was head of the IT dept while the Star football jock from high school was down on the loading dock loading trucks? So ladies there is some wisdom for us as well. My children were filled up with our Southern US biscuits and that is a bragging rights food here! I can see why your rolls are something to brag about!

    Dear sister, I continue to pray for you and hold you close in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Annabel, I wasn't able to comment last week as I was lost for words. I know grief very intimately and know it's a walk thru fire. It was with profound sadness that I read of Andy's death and with awe at your ability to think of the girls first. You and your family are in my prayers. Our Lord provides the strength we need to face life day by day. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Chloe, and thank you Annabel. Hugs and prayers from Gill in Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Chloe, for your post. Maybe someday I will master sourdough.

    Annabel, please know that I am continuing to keep you and your family in my prayers.

    Roberta in SoCal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annabel, thank you for checking in with us today. These are still early days and the level of grief you are feeling must be unimaginable to those of us that have not experienced it. Please take as much time as you need and know that many of us around the world are praying for you and your family. Here's a hug: ((( Annabel ))).

    Your comment about "posts that are ready to go are a wonderful thing" got me thinking. It is never necessary to post if you don't feel like it. We appreciate the blog but you don't owe us anything. If the idea of ready-to-go posts appeals to you, how about re-running the preparedness series, one post at a time or whenever you don't feel like writing. (Although writing might be therapeutic for you). Just a thought.

    Best wishes to you and yours during this very difficult time.
    --Maxine, aka mikemax

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing, Chloe and Annabel. Continuing prayers for you. HUG, Esther (from Holland)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How sweet Chloe talking about her grandfather and him saying "back in the day things were simpler, you could go to the country fair, find the winner of the cake baking competition and marry her and you had a pretty good chance of happiness! ". My heart goes out to you, Annabel for making it through the first week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annabel, so thoughtful of you to still schedule a post in the midst of your grief! Chloe, those rolls looks absolutely delicious. Your hubby and boys are sure lucky! The kombucha mat is a great idea. If someone doesn't have that, you can put your bowl into another, larger bowl or pan of hot water and change it out when it cools, or put your dough in your oven with just the light on...it's just enough warmth to work to raise dough.

    P.S. I agree with Maxine, above...we will all understand if you are quiet here for awhile.

    Love, Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chloe,

    "There is something immensely satisfying about mastering a new skill and feeling capable in your own home. Likely no one will ever see it, you won’t get any likes online or external gratification but you will be the wife/mother/daughter that makes “the best…”.
    How very true this statement is for every one of us home makers, no matter our age.
    Thanks for the tip about the kombucha heating mat.
    sandie t

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a lovely post, Chloe. The rolls look amazing.
    You and your mom are such blessings.
    I am praying for your new little one and you for a healthy easy birth, Chloe. My precious friend, Annabel, prayers for you continually.
    With much love,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Chloe, I think you are amazing. All you are doing with little ones underfoot. I just realised I am scared of sourdough lol. I am going to print this post. You are such a help and comfort to your family - especially your Mum at this time. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chloe your sour dough bread rolls look amazing. Thank you for sharing :)
    I was given some sourdough starter a couple of weeks ago, I've made sourdough before, but it was a very long time ago and I only made a couple of loaves, but I really want to get back into it. I have perfected regular bread making, in fact I have baked all our bread from scratch since the year began, which I feel really good about from a cost and a health persepective. I'm just making a foray back into sourdough to add variety to our bread consumption. I'm in the process of making a loaf right now, just waiting for it's second rise, so fingers crossed ;)

    From Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing, Chloe. I appreciate your knowledge of sourdough baking. It spurs me on to try sourdough again. Those rolls are amazing looking!
    Prayers and love to your entire family.
    Love,
    Leslie in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  22. Debby in Kansas USA1 February 2024 at 08:34

    Alright, my mouth is watering! Those look amazing. Thanks for a chuckle about the beach bods and bachelor dinners! I swam against the tide and am a housewife, as well. I love that my husband appreciates it. He's like a 6 yr. old when he walks in the kitchen and sees the KitchenAid bowl in the drying rack. "What did you make, what did you make?"

    Thanks for the post, Chloe. I'm still praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Chloe! I am going to try this- it looks delicious!
    Much love to all of you.
    Heidi xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts