Save like Nana did. Cheer and goodness.

Nan and Pa were full of cheer and goodness.  Considering all the world events that hit them from the moment they were born this is pretty remarkable.  You always came away from spending time with them happier than before.  They were a rock you could depend on and they offered love,  comfort,  company, nourishment, patience and encouragement.  They took the time to teach you things.  Let's face it,  it takes time to teach a child to sew, crochet, knit etc but they invested the time into me. 




Nan and Pa's friends were cut from the same cloth.  When I had babies Nana's friends treated me as family and made me the most beautiful baby clothes.  One friend sewed me little baby nighties in the softest fabrics (for Chloe) and another knitted her little dresses.  I still have most of them. 




The friend who knitted this dress was Mrs. Mann.  She was in a wheel chair at the time and for the rest of her life.   She remained cheerful and productive despite the fact that she lost both her legs.  

They blessed me so much!   They were so kind and generous.   What wonderful people!

Then there are people that ensure they add the subtle put down,  the caustic remark,  the genuine and complete distain for everything you do or say!   They leave a trail of destruction wherever they go.   Dad always told us it is better to say NOTHING if you cannot say something nice!   Narcissistic behaviour seems to be on the rise...  the world of "selfies" and "your truth" and putting yourself ahead of others has led to a lot of pretty poor behaviour.    It is bad enough to observe this from a distance let alone from up close.

The contrast is stark.  We spent a few hours with friends on Friday and their love of God and serving Him is an example and inspiration to us.  We come away from time with them so joyful, uplifted, encouraged and REFRESHED.   So the difference is mind blowing!   We have to decide which camp we want to live in.   Do we refresh,  build up and encourage others or do we suck the life (and will to live)  from them at every encounter!!?

Nan and Pa had this nailed down.  They had a lot of friends and were great friends with all their neighbours so I know it wasn't just us they loved.   They just treated everyone with respect and kindness.  If they could help a person they did.  They were full of encouragement and general pleasantness!   They treated everyone the same.  Any one who came to the house was given a cup of tea and cake (or scones) and a chat.  None of this was fancy but it was lovely and very welcoming.   Somehow we got the idea that things have to be fancy and "stylish" and the humble wouldn't do.  But the humble will do!  In a world of pain mashed potatoes and gravy offer a warmth and comfort.   



We were discussing with friends... that in the last few years there has been a change and it's very noticeable.  People are more stressed,  less trusting,  less friendly.... apparently it is routine now for people in service jobs to be abused and treated rudely.  In my opinion it feels like where once we thought the government,  at least kind of or sometimes,  cared about the people now they do not.  And people know it. 

We can be be dragged down by all of this pretty easily.   But Nan and Pa went through a lot worse and they held on to family,  faith/God and remained in good cheer and full of goodness.   As we head into December and Christmas I want to think how can we lift each other up.  For this reason I think Christmas is more important than ever!  We need the morale boost.   Next week my post will be on ways to make Christmas special that are completely,  or almost,  free. xxx

"In the same way,

let your light shine before others,

that they maybe see your good 

deeds and glorify your 

Father in Heaven."

Matt 5:16.  



 


Comments

  1. Beautiful xxx Cath

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a wonderful post and reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anabelle and Bluebirds,
    It costs nothing to give a smile, put a cart away, say good day, or to share a positive, uplifting genuine comment. Our grandparents knew how hard everyone's life was, at the time, and their caring for others was real.
    As you wrote, Annabelle, common courtesy, good manners, caring, kindness, empathy and selflessness have gone by the wayside. Many people, in the world, have embraced evil; self absorption, rudeness, hatred, cruelty, nastiness, thoughtlessness, brutality, a disdain for God and an intense apathy toward their fellow humans.
    Sadly, the change stems from demonic infiltration into the school systems, government, churches and social agencies. Our ancestors taught their children about God, civility, manners and respect. It is, today, a mostly "it's all about me," world. None of my ancestors would have tolerated such behavior.
    Our grandparents taught us skills and how to be decent people. You are doing the same, Annabel, which is a blessing for your grandchildren. May we all be keepers of the past and stay on the 'ancient path.'
    Thank you for this series of articles.
    Love and hugs,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little dress is lovely, how kind our grandparent and friends were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always Annabel your posts are like a glass of cold water on a hot day! Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  6. En France aussi les gens sont plus agressifs plus personnels , la gentillesse est considérée comme un défaut et je dois dire que beaucoup d'entre nous pensent que les gens ont "besoin" d'une guerre qu'ils ne souhaitent que ça pour pouvoir donner libre cours à leur méchanceté. Heureusement qu'il y a des gens qui ont encore du cœur

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post! I think we all have had older people in our lives that were so positive and fun.
    We recently began attending a new church. And my entire family agrees that we can't stand the thought of missing. We all come away refreshed from the fellowship of like-minded believers. Also my husband and I love our Sunday school because we study the Bible only. We enjoy hearing the insights of other Christians on certain passages as God is teaching us about Him through different circumstances. As in the case with your grandparents, I am learning more because I am in the presence of such joy.
    Blessings to all,
    Leslie in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post should be melted down and poured into the worldwide drinking water systems...every should drink it in. What beautiful hope and encouragement. Thank God the evil courseness of the times we live in don't have the power to snuff out this kind of light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this lovely reminder that simple and humble gifts given with kindness and good cheer can make a world of difference. Mashed potatoes and gravy, a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread--even "a cup of cold water" (Matt. 10:42)--can help to spread the love of God to others.

    Blessings to you and your family.

    Roberta in So. Cal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen, amen and amen, my dear friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post and very true, thank you. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, thankyou Annabel, love Clare

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annabelle this made my day, my week, my month, my life. You are indeed shining your light and how blessed you were to be raised as you did.
    Thank you.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is easy to become despondent about the world and people, I know I have. More and more I look for the good and the kind and I do find it. More and more I try to be that light. I am praying about it and asking for guidance.

    “Be the change that you wish to see in the world” 🙏

    From Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  15. Each week I look forward to catching up on your posts. The encouragement and positivity is much needed! I'm a 6th grade teacher and today was talking with my students about doing acts of kindness no matter how small. We wrote down examples of kind acts that they've shown in the past few days. Several students could not think of a single example. I tried to remind them that it doesn't have to cost anything, and doesn't need to be a big noticeable moment --- holding open a door for someone, or picking up a bit of paper off the floor (especially if isn't yours) can be kindness. It is sometimes disheartening to have conversations like these when my students seem so indifferent, but I press on. Please pray for these young people!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so fortunate to have you as a teacher Dianna! You are doing life changing work. I will pray for you and your students.

      Delete
  16. Annabel, thank you for this reminder. It can be so easy to become discouraged, but your blog is a place of such positivity and light, and beautiful stories, reminders to reflect the love of Christ. Bless you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am thankful to God for the way He has used you for his purposes Annabel. Likewise I am grateful for your servant heart, and the time it must take each week, out of your busy schedule to be a light that shines for so many people. May you and your families be truly Blessed this Christmas Annabel, kind regards Robyn S.A

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Annabel what a refreshing post.

    I have been trying to post for a number of weeks but it isn't publishing so will try on Friday again.

    There is always room for more kindness, consideration for others and love in the world.
    Unfortunately there is a lot of people financially stressed out there from what I have seen in our area and they seem to be taking it out on others which is not nice to see and at retail staff just trying to do their jobs and other.

    Lorna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorna! Yes stress seems to give people a much shorter fuse. I feel sorry for the check out staff I have seen some people ahead of me being just miserable to them. When I get there I apologise which is strange but I say I am really sorry for how that person treated you and try and make up for it.
      Friday already. I hope your post will come through! Thank you for trying! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  19. Thank you for this post Annabel and the adorable photos.
    My father was a great believer and so am I of " You sow the wind and reap the whirlwind". I worked for 13 years with a narcissist who never lost an opportunity to score points off me and my fellow colleagues. Now we are all retired she is reaping the whirlwind.
    My father was a wonderful role model for me and often now I think What would Dad do or say?
    I so agree a cheery word or smile and a warm welcome "Kettles on!" are worth gold. Penny in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never commented before, but just had to this time - read everything here and have truly found my home - this just resonated with me so much. I live in Victoria Australia and since Covid I have noticed so many people who are so angry and so stressed and I try to offer a smile and pleasant words whenever I can - it costs nothing but can be everything to someone - I thought of all this this morning when out walking early today - I noticed quite a few Christmas baubles on a nature strip and in a gutter - some broken others fine but they must have been blown from somewhere or off something and had been rained on and blown around - they were beautiful and there was a small gumtree close by just crying out for decoration so that's what I did - decorated the tree - the pathway is a well used walkway and so I thought others would surely smile at the tree - the first young girl who walked past did just that - it made my heart sing -I just hope others do the same and not destroy everything - something small to bring a little happiness. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jenny, Thank you so much and thank you for commenting. My daughter lives on the Vic/SA border. You probably know what we went through. It was very traumatic and enough to make anyone stressed and angry. It has changed my view of the gov forever. But we cannot be beaten down and kept there. I refuse! I love what you did with the ornaments this is just perfect! We can all use every opportunity to do good. And you saw t brought happiness right away! Just lovely! With much love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  21. A perfect post for the times we are in. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It never hurts to be kind!

    I was wondering if you are still in touch with Laine from Laine's Letters. I hope she is doing well. She was on my mind recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yes I am. She is doing well! She has new Grandchildren and her health has improved. She has a son who is deployed so could use prayer for himxxx

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the update! I always loved her letters. I hope she continues to do well.

      Delete
  23. Amen to that Annabelle.🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Annabel,

    This was just beautiful to read, and fully described my grandparents and visits to them! Growing up I was lucky to live in a village neighboring their little town, so we visited often. Kindness is free, but also extremely valuable.

    <3
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautifully said. I was actually thinking of my own Gran and her ways and told my husband just last night, I wonder if she was really so extraordinary or just what really would have been considered normal? In looking back, I dealt with some narcissistic folks in my birth family and at work places and Granny was never that at all. Sadly, I now see these traits in some of my children and it's mighty hard to swallow. Be nice, be kind, do good without shouting it to the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts