Bluebirds on the Ground. Kelsey, Texas, USA.

As this series progresses I feel just amazed at the friendships I have made here.   I remember Kelsey being madly keen to have her first baby and before they moved to the ranch.   We have been on a journey together as we also moved to the farm.   We both have experienced a lot of growth!  Look at how much Kelsey and her husband have put in.   I am sure you are going to find her post a joy!



    Hello Annabel and Bluebirds!  I'm very honored to write a Bluebirds on the Ground report.  I have been reading and learning from Annabel and the ladies here for many years, and I'm happy if I'm able to contribute in any way!

   
   My husband, Colton, and I live on an acre in the middle of my father-in-law's ranch in South Texas with our two sons, ages 5 and 2.  When we first moved here six years ago, our goal was to first get set up with a garden and chickens, things we enjoyed even when we lived in town.  Besides the pleasure we get from these hobbies, our primary reason was to have our own food source, making us less dependent on the stores and therefore, ideally at least, saving money on groceries.  We set our focus on outdoor projects, as opposed to improving the house- we wanted to be more sustainable first, even if just a little.  Little did we know the global events that would transpire.
   Getting set up was no small feat, as all we had to work with was an old, dilapidated coop with a tree growing through the middle of it and an overgrown, unfenced patch of land.  We made do with what we had, planting our garden and securing the coop enough to keep a small flock safe.  Eventually, as we saved, we were able to build fences, a new coop, and a big garden shed to hold all of our animal feed and garden equipment.  Writing it out seems so simple, but it was a long process that took years and a lot of hard work, which we did ourselves.  We are so glad we were able to do all of this before lumber prices quadrupled!








   Living on the ranch, Colton is able to  hunt deer in the fall. This is a huge blessing- we hardly have to buy meat, which saves a small fortune.  We process it all ourselves.  I usually freeze it but have recently started canning it, as well.  We also have our own bees for honey.






   In addition to hunting, Colton is very handy around the house, fixing and building most everything we need.  He knows gunsmithing and winemaking, and is currently learning to blacksmith and tan animal hides.  Let's just say that if it's an old-fashioned or manly skill, Colton is interested in it, much to the benefit of our household.  He is a firefighter/paramedic for a living, and his medical knowledge has been a huge asset, as well.
   My in-laws also live on the ranch, and we are good friends with our neighbors.  We watch out for each other, help each other, keep an eye on things, and trade goods and skills with one another.  I think having a community or group of people you can trust is so important.




   We keep a well-stocked pantry, which is supplied by my garden and things we find on sale at the grocery store.  This includes toiletries and household items.  If there is a deal on something, I will buy extra for my pantry, or to freeze or can.  My pantry has seen us through many times when money was scarce or food was unavailable.





   I shop second-hand for the vast majority of our things- clothes, furniture, craft supplies, items for the home, etc. If I do buy something new, very rarely do I pay full price for it.  I shop sales and use coupons and rebates.
   I make my own gifts, largely inspired by Annabel and the community here.  This not only saves money but is a true source of enjoyment for me.  I like to sew and do papercrafts, and will often include home-canned items, baked goods, fresh eggs, honey, or saved seeds from my garden as part of a gift.  At one point I turned my paper crafting hobby into extra income, opening an Etsy shop and selling my stationery.  I've also set up at our local farmer's market to peddle my baking, sewing, or whatever else I got up to making.








   As for current events, my report is very similar to the other US ladies.  Availability at the grocery store is fair- sometimes you might not find a certain brand of something and sometimes entire sections of an aisle will be empty- but they are usually restocked in a few weeks.  I am still continually amazed at the price increase each time I shop, which hasn't seemed to stop.  The same amount of money buys less and less.  I check the sales fliers, but most of the time I pass up what is advertised as either still too expensive, or simply unnecessary.




   Our home and auto insurance each went up $80 recently, not because of anything we did or didn't do.  Prices seem to be going up across the board, and I have heard many small local businesses complain about having to go up on their customers in order to keep up with their own rising expenses.  It's not something they want to do- they simply have no choice, and as a result, they lose business because people just can't afford it.  It hurts everybody and it's sad to see. 




   
   I have no desire at all to get political here, but being a report on my area, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that our border crisis is getting worse.  Being less than two hours from Mexico, this is very real for us.  It is not uncommon for fences to be cut or driven through, or for things to be stolen, and we have firsthand experience.  I won't go into specifics, but we do have means of self defense, including big dogs to alert us should someone come on our property unwelcome.  I think no matter where we live, there are people who get desperate and we have to be prepared for those situations, though I hope and pray it never comes to that for any of us.
   I have asked Colton if he has any news on the medical front.  He said everything in our area is back to normal as far as the emergency sector goes- meds are fully stocked and the hospitals aren't crowded.  This is very good news.
   I can't end without saying that these things would be incredibly difficult, if not impossible, without my faith in God.  I do what I can, with what I have, where I am, and I know God will take care of the rest.  He always provides for his children and is the ultimate source of comfort, peace, and joy to those who trust in him, even in hard times.  Looking back, I can see God's providence in orchestrating all we have accomplished here at the ranch.  Even though we fought against it at times (it hasn't been an easy journey!), he brought us through for our benefit and our good.  I'm so thankful.



Thank you so much Kelsey!  I enjoyed this so much.  Your photos, presentation of your preserves and goods for sale are just beautiful.   There is something here to inspire and encourage everyone!

If you would like to hear more from Kelsey she has a blog here at Spring Creek Cottage.   



Comments

  1. Kelsey I read your blog and never know you are a bluebird. Thank you for your report. It’s very encouraging and I will take lots from it. I would never have but a spoon on my jars of homemade goods but I will from now on. Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! I'm happy to know you are a reader!
      I got the little wooden spoons in a pack at the craft store, but I often see silverware at thrift stores that would work too. I think it just adds a nice little something.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, thank you Kelsey. Your home made canned goods and other products are really beautiful, in addition to be useful. Thank you for sharing your efforts over the past six years, it is so nice to see such huge progress! Thank you Annabel for encouraging all of us. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Kelsey's story very much! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! And thank you for visiting my blog, too!

      Delete
  4. Dear Kelsey, such an interesting report from your part of the world. (two hours away from Mexico sounds so exotic to me...) I like and admire all your homemade gifts - you are very talented. I am going to your blog to read through! Thank you!

    Happy 4th of July to you and all the American Bluebirds!

    Thank you Annabel, for another good report. What a brilliant idea!

    Sending love from my part of the world, Laura_s_world from Romania

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelsey, we are kindred spirits in many ways! Loved reading your report!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a journey for your family so glad you shared it with us. I love your resourcefulness such an inspiration 💖 love gaila in the NW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gaila! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. We had the same issue with insurance - last week we updated our homeowners insurance, as I want to pay it directly instead of through escrow. It's a good thing we did; the annual premium went up by 40%, and we wouldn't have known until after the escrow paid out and wanted additional funds! We've only lived in the house a year this month, with no claims - the increase was due to how much it would cost them for the supplies and labor to replace our home should it be required. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I hadn't even thought about supplies being more expensive and increasing the cost to replace, but that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful post, Kelsey. Thank you for sharing your home in Texas with us. My nephew moved to Texas a few years ago and absolutely loves it.
    May God continue to mightily bless your family.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glenda. That is so kind. I'm glad your nephew loves Texas so much!

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Kelsey! I'm in SE Texas in the suburbs of Houston, and I see the same things in the stores, rising prices of everything, and restaurants and shops shutting down because people can't afford to spend money there. I wish I lived on a farm so I can do more, but I do what I can. If things get worse, My HOA is just going to have to understand me getting a chicken coop in my backyard LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, maybe if you bribe your neighbors with eggs, they won't turn you in, haha! In all seriousness, I think you are doing the right thing to do what you can. That's really all any of us can do and it looks different for everyone, but it does make a difference.

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your story and observations with us, Kelsey! I really enjoy these posts from other parts of the US and abroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jill! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  11. Thankyou Kelsey
    You’re both wonderful examples of personal independence! Your children are very fortunate to have you as an example in these difficult times.
    Those jams and eggs are beautiful.
    Stay safe and prosper.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelsey you and Colton have come so far since you moved to the property. Well done on all the hard work and the achievements you have both made.
    I would so love to have a honey bee hive here. We are unable to due to our local Government Council banning them in town. I have the perfect space for one, looked right into getting one, when the local apiarist I contacted informed me of the local bylaws where I cant have a hive. Having your own honey, and knowing how to use the honey for more than just a delicious sweet spread, would be a real benefit for you and your family.
    I cannot believe your eldest is now five. It seems that it wasnt long ago I was looking at you and Colton in a photo, in a sunflower field I think, with you heavily pregnant.
    I wish you and your boys all the best. Thank you for your on the ground report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane! I know just the photo you are referring to- John is going to be 6 in a few days, if you can believe it! I made a typo, as we've actually been at the ranch for 7 years now. Time really has flown!
      I'm sorry you're not able to have a beehive, but I'm so glad you were finally able to get your chickens! I remember you really wanting some.

      Delete
  13. Hello Kelsey, thankyou for such an interesting report.
    I remember when you and Colton moved to the farm and your little family began. What a precious life you have made for yourselves through hard work and determination.
    I love all your homemade goodies and a catch up on what is happening in your part of the world. I don’t understand why the border has been thrown open with Mexico after having a huge wall separating your countries for so long. I wish I understood the mechanics of these decisions more.
    All the best for you and your family for the future Kelsey. You are an inspiration to many. Lorraine xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically there is not a continous wall across the mexico US border. There are parts of walls in places near cities and other hotspots of traffic. The border has always been open but with the Government giving so much incentives to those who illegally cross more and more are coming.

      Delete
    2. Dear Lorraine, The wall was not finished, the building was stopped after the election. Since the UK, Europe etc have the same issue it seems a world event... In US they appear incentivised to come and coming in huge numbers. I have to be careful what I say but I think it is a plan and I dont think it is for the good of anyone. Love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Lorraine! As the others said, the wall was never completed. Only sections of the border have walls, and there are ways under, over and around it. There is also not enough manpower deployed to stop people from crossing.

      Delete
  14. All of the photos are lovely Kelsey! Your handmade gifts must be very much appreciated. Insurance premiums are rising here as well. There have been a number of severe weather events here that have contributed to this as well as increased costs of building supplies etc. Thank you for such a thoughtful report.

    Jen (NZ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! Yes, it seems everything is just going up worldwide, unfortunately.

      Delete
  15. Great post, Kelsey -- I enjoyed reading about your homestead and family. Your homemade goods are just lovely! We don't live near the country's border, but theft and trespassing is getting worse in my area too (northeast Tennessee). This used to be the kind of place where people left their doors unlocked. I live in a semi-small town. More and more frequently I am hearing about cars being stolen and people breaking into sheds or garages. My husband is the principal at a local middle school and there have been vagrants coming onto the school grounds in the middle of the night. It's scary! Everyone stay safe. Much love from TN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dianna! I have seen more trespassing and theft here too, not just from illegals. As times get harder, people get desperate and some unfortunately resort to crime. We all have to be careful and alert and take precautions.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts