Bluebirds on the Ground. Jen in New Zealand.

I am pleased to have Jen in New Zealand report today.   Jen has school aged children and she is a wonderful baker which greatly adds to her home economy!   

Over to Jen...

I first came to know Annabel through her older blog, The Bluebirds are Nesting. I already followed Mimi’s blog A Tray of Bliss, and one day she referenced a homemade gift guide that Annabel had written. I went over to read it and found it so useful. So from there I became a regular reader.  I live in the North Island of New Zealand. In NZ we have daily media reports on inflation and the cost of living. We have a general election in October this year, and cost of living is considered to be one of the biggest areas that voters are interested in. I actually began writing this report a couple of months ago, but had to put off finishing it. I went back to add to it and realised much of what I had written was already outdated. It is Autumn here and the mornings and evenings are noticeably cooler and darker. Most days are still sunny and warm. Groceries: these have gone up pretty much across the entire shop. Meat is very expensive. There are still specials to be found, but even the ‘reduced for quick sale’ meat is not discounted as generously as it used to be. Fruit and vegetables are much more expensive than they used to be. This has not been helped by major flooding earlier this year in parts of our largest city and a devastating cyclone that caused major damage in a part of our country that provides a lot of fruit. This year at the end of tomato season you could buy ‘preserving tomatoes’ for $5/kg at my local greengrocer. In other years the same tomatoes have been $1/kg. I buy 10kg sacks of potatoes. This time last year the price was $10 for a sack. The cheapest I’ve seen them this year is $19. They are still a cheap vegetable compared to others, but an example of just how much a total grocery bill has increased due to individual price rises. I think I probably buy a fairly limited range of items, there are whole aisles in the supermarket I don’t shop from. But even on the basics the increases are noticeable. Tomato paste used to be $2 a jar. It’s now $2.50. That’s a 25% increase. And it was in one hit, not a gradual rise. I used to buy condensed tomato soup as a base for curry. Again, overnight it went from $1.90/tin to $2.80. A 47% increase! Dried pasta has increased from $1/bag to $1.50/bag. A 50% increase. On an item that many people would be buying every week. These increases are far higher than the rate of inflation. This year new rules came into effect around the conditions that chickens must be kept in for egg production (these changes were decided on years ago, in the interests of animal welfare). This has caused limits to be applied in many shops as the supply has been impacted. The cheapest eggs I can buy at the moment are $0.55 per egg. I buy trays of 20, people who buy smaller cartons would be paying more per egg. There are still limits in some stores on items like toilet paper, cheese, bread, dried fruit. Unfortunately these limits often apply to the best value products, so in order to get the amount I need for my family I have to make more than one trip. I received notification this week from our power company that power prices will be increasing from May 1st. This is both to the daily charge (approx $12/month increase), and the usage charge (different for each household dependant on how much power they use). These price increases occur in the last month of Autumn, so Winter power bills will be impacted. Petrol prices increased dramatically last year, the government introduced a fuel subsidy of 25c/litre. This has been extended a couple of times and I believe it is to be phased out at the end of June. As incentive to use public transport this was also subsidised by 50%. Interest rates have more than doubled for many people who have refixed in the last few months. This must be particularly difficult for recent buyers who are heavily mortgaged. The housing market has slowed down a lot. Rent is also increasing in most areas. I have read each of the reports from around the world, and I regularly read the comments section. There are so many wonderful examples of how other bluebirds make the most out of the resources available to them that I feel a bit out of place trying to give any tips! But I’ll try to add some ideas that maybe haven’t been covered so far… To make meat go further: If I buy sausages I always make them into a meal (toad in the hole, devilled sausages etc) and I slice the sausages once they’ve browned. This way everyone gets sausages but I don’t need to make sure I have 2 or 3 per person. I look for vegetarian recipes like pasta bakes or curries, then add a little bit of meat to them. This pleases the meat lovers in the house. I have literally served the same curry once with no meat, the next time with less than 200g of chicken (for 8 people), and the reaction was completely different because the meat version was ‘better’. I make milk from powdered milk. I have three 1 litre glass bottles, and I make it up and we use that. Initially I only bought powdered milk to use in recipes that required a lot of milk like macaroni cheese. I also used Cath’s recipe for making condensed milk - you have to try it if you haven’t already! But then I made some up one evening as we’d run out, everybody used it and nobody commented so I switched from buying fresh to powdered permanently. I am fortunate to have 3 supermarkets on the same street, plus two butchers and a greengrocer all within walking distance of each other. So I whenever I shop I work out where is cheapest to buy the things on my list and I go to each one if I need to. This also allows me to check for ‘quick sale’ items. I work out the cost of our favourite meals, so I know which ones are better value. This is good for knowing how often to have certain meals. For example, nachos costs a lot more than shepherds pie. So we might have nachos once a month, whereas shepherds pie could be weekly in winter. I also do this for baking recipes. When I read the gifting book Annabel wrote all those years ago, she talked about how baking shortbread is much cheaper than making fruit cakes. I remember this when baking for school shared lunches/camps etc. I tend to make simple recipes that don’t cost too much and save more expensive recipes for special events.  I have a pool of recipes I can use if I run out of eggs, or butter etc. The kind that might be particularly useful in the days before a trip to the supermarket. We walk a lot. My children all go to school/kindergarten within walking distance of our house. We are within walking distance of supermarkets, the library, a shopping centre, parks, the pool etc. So if I can avoid using my car I do! We do our birthday parties at home. As they get older they might do an activity with a couple of friends and come back to the house to eat. I buy some treats we don’t normally have, and make special ‘birthday party food’.  The kids choose their own special dinner and dessert on their birthday and I make a cake that they choose (subject to my ability to actually make what they want. I don’t have Chloe’s decorating skills lol). I have a present box with items for birthday parties that I’ve found cheaply throughout the year. They still get to choose what they give like at the shop, but from the gift box instead. I don’t buy wrapping paper. We reuse gift bags, I pick them up for 50c or less at op shops sometimes, or I quickly sew a fabric bag if I need to. I keep an eye out throughout the year for second hand school uniforms. It is hundreds of dollars per child for uniform if bought brand new, so if I am able to source jackets/jerseys second hand I can make a huge saving there. Overall I would say at the moment I am definitely feeling the weight of the extra cost of living, I’m finding it harder to stock up the pantry because there is less cash available after buying regular grocery items. But I am trying to find at least one really good deal a fortnight and make the most of it. I’ve spent a lot of time revising our budget, particularly trying to put aside money for upcoming expenses. Obviously events like Easter, birthdays and Christmas are the same every year, but this is often true of expenses like car registration, sports fees too. I know when they will come about because they’re the same each year, so I try to budget for them in advance. I’m spending as much time now as I’ve ever spent on budgeting, searching for grocery specials online, and meal planning. But I feel like this is time well spent in order to make the most of the money we have. 


Thank you so much Jen this is wonderful!  I really appreciate the time you put into this.  xxx

The gift making guide Jen mentioned is here A gift to you.

I have some more reports coming but I also would like some more.  If you would consider writing a report from your area please email me at brinkzi21@hotmail.com  Any location is ok but I am especially wanting a report from South Africa  and more from Europe.   These posts have been incredibly helpful and I have learned something from each of you!  Thank you so much! xxx 

Comments

  1. Thank you for your report! Things are not nearly as expensive here in the USA and I feel for you trying to keep a family fed at those prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lana, it’s definitely become more of a challenge but I feel lucky to have been following Annabel and others for so long that I have lots of tips to help make the most of the food we have.
      Jen xx

      Delete
  2. Jen thank you for your report from NZ. I wondered how the floods and cyclone were affecting the country as far as food production goes. Your report confirmed what I had thought. We had the same issues with fruit and veg last year when we had flooding in our area. Thankfully things are settling down now. I hope the same will happen for NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, yes it’s been devastating for some food producers as they pretty lost all their crops in a day. With the change of seasons apples and pears are dropping in price which is very welcome!
      Jen xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you Jen. When we visited NZ many years ago we were amazed at how reasonable your grocery prices were and the ability in some of your supermarkets to buy a certain amount of a product, not just a packet. Feeding a family is almost a full time job, balancing needs, wants and budget. I heard recently about a family with three sons spending $700 a week on food! Not sure how many could afford that. Hope your fruit and veg situation settles soon. Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb, you are right about it being like a full time job! I feel very fortunate that I have the time to prepare our food from scratch and shop around for deals. $700 a week! That’s frightening!
      Jen xx

      Delete
  4. Jen, that was a great write up, thank you. Although the price that you are paying for food is horrifying. As someone else commented, your prices are much higher than for me here in the desert of the US. I opened the weekly sales pages today and was very excited to see a dozen eggs “only” $2.77 (4.47 NZ). It seems a lot of work and effort to pay attention to prices so vigilantly but you have definitely benefited from that! Thank you for sharing your cost and savings information. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilogene, i know what you mean about finding a ‘good’ price. It’s very exciting and then I remember what we used to pay and it’s not quite as exciting lol!
      Jen xx

      Delete
  5. Jen, Thank you for the report from NZ. You are doing all you can to keep your costs down. Here we had a 30% jump in utility costs, of course during our winter when our use is higher.
    It is great that you are so close to the shops you can walk to them. We do a one day trip of driving from one shop to another, making a circle to just purchase weekly needs and reduced items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we used to live rurally and I too did the big shopping days. They were tiring, but it was lovely to have so much food to bring home. A 30% increase is just huge, what a challenge to manage that.
      Jen xx

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Jen, for your report. As you know, I like New Zeeland very much but only from books and maps - it is a million miles from my country. Reading your lines I know more. This is the best thing about these reports - thank you Annabel - we all learn what is happening in real life and what to do to be all right, us and our families. I am looking forward for next reports.
    Dear Jen, you are so inventive with food and recipes! It is not easy with growing hungry children and all the school activities (I have a teenager, so I know!) but you are doing so well - and preparing ahead for all the big costs and events it is the best thing, if not the only thing for prudent people. I applaud you!
    I have heard about the tornadoes in NZ. I hope you and your family are well. Thank you again, Laura_s_world from Romania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, we definitely do live in a very beautiful country!! I’m pretty sure teenagers could eat all day and still be hungry! Thank you for your kind words.
      Jen xx

      Delete
  7. Thank you for a very thorough and interesting report, Jen. I found your tips to be extremely helpful and wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Glenda, that is lovely of you to say.
      Jen xx

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for your report, Jen. It sounds like you are doing a great job managing your household amidst all this craziness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill, sometimes the household itself feels crazy but I’m doing my best lol.
      Jen xx

      Delete
  9. Wonderful report, Jen! It's so strange to think that all over the world we are facing such similar issues and cost increases! Your tips are very helpful. I also found Annabel through her gift "book"!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, you are so right. Following along with the reports from around the world I’ve seen so many similarities with other places. I love the gift book, I am going to reread it. If I could knit like you everyone would get socks for every birthday!
      Jen xx

      Delete
  10. Debby in Kansas USA13 April 2023 at 05:50

    Thanks, Jen, for sharing with us. The US is so big that everything is different from place to place. NZ sounds a bit like Hawaii with the prices. My nephew lived there and said that it's because everything has to be shipped in, thus raising the prices. So, when inflation takes over, the price of things really gets ugly! My brother told me the same from his time in Alaska. Do you eat a lot of fish? Catching fish was one thing they both spoke of as helping their budgets. Since I don't care for seafood, that wouldn't help me a bit!!!

    Again, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby, you are right about things having to be shipped in and that adding to the prices. The price of appliances have increased quite a bit due to this as well. Thankfully NZ produces a lot of food, so we are able to buy many things that were made here.
      Jen xx

      Delete
  11. As another bluebird from the North Island of NZ I second everything that Jen has said. I work in an industry that has secure employment and above average wages (having said that, advanced university degrees are required) and, even in this community, most are seeking out food that is heavily reduced/scratched and dented/past best before date/foraged/shared to manage their food costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! I too am noticing more people reaching for the reduced stock, you have to be quick! I had great luck the day before Easter, the person marking down meat at the supermarket saw me pick up a reduced pack of rump steak and told me to follow her as she marked down other trays! I’ll be looking out for her again!!
      Jen xx

      Delete
  12. Thank you Jen. It's true that NZ prices are higher than what we pay in the U.S., but I love that the techniques we use to save are the same, well proven methods to get the most for our money.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know this is a late response, but your post has been truly helpful, Jen. Thank you for sharing about the gift box. My mother has always done this. I have tried to keep up with mine, but need a restock. Always good to get a reminder. We also stock ours with gifts that didn't really suit our children's interests but will interest their friends.
    It is also a relief to hear that others are struggling with buying extra to stock up their pantries. I don't feel so alone! The price of everything has gone up and I mean everything. Bless you, Jen as you look wisely to the ways of your household, Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts