Save like Nana did. Make do.

I am not keeping up very well at the moment!   For a little while I might be quieter while I catch up with the fruit and the garden!  But I will get there!   

Everyone I speak to is worried about their grocery bill.   I saw a comment where a lady was crying in her car because she has been getting less and less for her money every week and this week was even worse.  So she sat crying in the car park.   This is heart breaking.   I just want to help.  I hope that having a group of friends that encourages each other is a help of sorts and I know for sure there are always new things to learn.   And there is no one better to learn from than Nana... 💖

While there have been egg shortages (and really high prices)  there was a lot of talk about egg substitutes.   Also recipes with no eggs at all.  Thanks to the internet we can quickly find suggestions for good substitutes for just about anything!    Denise was unable to buy Baking Power and then it was $8!   From talking with her I discovered it is very easy to make your own baking powder and never buy it again!   So we both learned something really handy! 

It is kind of a running joke in our family that we will substitute so many things in a recipe that the end result bears no resemblance what so ever to the original.  haha!   This is even more so because now I will also alter things to make them Gluten Free.  Most of the time it works out fine.   (And oh my goodness the savings from making your own Gluten Free items are just huge.)

We all got too fancy.  We were busy trying to pack our diets with superfoods and exotic ingredients.  While it is true there are foods that are wonderfully healthy many "superfoods" are just foods with expensive advertising campaigns.   Our families will still be healthy with more humble fruit and veggies. 

Nana did not lay awake at night dreaming up exotic recipes with expensive ingredients that would be used once.  She was busy using what she had,  using what was a good seasonal buy or what she had picked or been given.  So right now as I survey the living room floor  (pears are laying on blankets ripening) and there are baskets of apples as the two fridges are already full of apples....  I am doing what Nana would do.  


The first thing is to eat them fresh,  share them with the family so everyone has beautiful fresh fruit.  The second thing is to work them into meals and cooking.   Then I have some to give away and some to trade.   And lots and lots to dehydrate,  freeze and freeze dry.   Each day I do something...  I already made rows of apple pies.   Tomorrow I am making apple puree... while the freeze drier and dehydrator are also running.

Nan had recipes that were flexible.  Muffins,  cakes and pies would contain the fruit you had.   I have a cake recipe that is wonderful for using stone fruit.    


You can find that recipe here Economical and yummy cake.   Obviously currently my version will be apple!

I have a very versatile Muffin recipe as well.   Miracle Muffins.   You use what you have... preferably something that needs using up quickly so it is not wasted.  These freeze perfectly and are so handy in lunch boxes or even for breakfast.   

Another is making use of left overs creatively.  One of my favourites is to make Bread and Butter pudding but I make it more like a cake.  And jam or fruit can be used...   and in any recipe where you are a bit low on fruit you can use some jam.  


This is so delicious!  You really can make do with the most basic ingredients and still come up with something beautiful.   Never waste one slice of bread.

The more flexible we are the better.   It is about looking at what we have creatively, wasting nothing,  stretching things as far as possible,  preserving what we cannot use right away...  thinking what could be used instead of the thing you are missing.  

There are many good lunch box fillers when supplies are low.  We loved a stack of Pikelets with butter!  Left over fried rice.  Little impossible pies.  There were lots of "make do" meals that I thought were delicious!  Fritters were one... if Mum had a little bit of roast meat left she made a batter and added chopped meat, sweetcorn (and probably whatever else she had)  and made fritters.  I thought they were fabulous.   

Kids are great,  they don't know you are making do they just think their tummy is full and their packed lunch is delicious.  💗  

The world of making do isn't limited to the kitchen.  Whatever we are needing for a task or project it is possible that we might find a way to make do.   It can be quite a good challenge!   Be proud of your inventiveness and resourcefulness!  If you are stuck think what would Nana do?xxx





Comments

  1. Love this, Annabel. Good, common sense. And no, a homemaker's life is not devoid of any creativity or meaning, as can be seen!!! :) I am like you, and hearing stories like that about the woman in the parking lot crying is heartbreaking, and makes me want to help, too! You are doing fabulous work helping out by writing what you do on your blog! Thank you!! xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite things is a rotisserie chicken on sale. I always pull all the meat off and freeze it. So many uses! Also I save the bones for soup. I can get many meals from a chicken. Good news - I got butter at Wal-Mart over the weekend and the price had dropped by about 60 cents a pound. I was shocked that a price on something had actually come down. Hopefully other things will come down as well. We need a break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely a wonderful reminder. I'd add that most fruits and some vegetables (especially those that are pickled) can be waterbath canned. You do not need any specialized equipment. For about 30 years, I canned peaches, pears, and appliesauce, as well as tomatoes, spaghetti (marinara) sauce, and salsa, using my stock pot with a trivet or kitchen towel in the bottom. I make 4 oz. jars of applesauce and other diced fruit -- perfect size for the lunchbox. There are wonderful recipes for dill, sweet, bread and butter, and other kinds of pickles, and also for homemade relish. For the last 2 years, I could get 20 lb boxes of roma tomatoes (for sauces) for around $10 and 20-25 lb boxes of regular tomatoes for $7. I got probably 10 pints of sauce from one box of romas and at least that from the regular tomatoes. I would have paid that amount for 2 jars at the grocery store and, with home canned, I know exactly what's in the jar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am getting more and more into using substitutions. Prices are crazy and will probably get even worse as time goes by.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a recipe for baking powder. Is it the ratio you use? One part baking soda, two parts cream of tartar, one part cornstarch. I have chickens and they are finally laying again as it slowly rolls into summer in the Northern hemisphere. People get so excited when I give them a dozen eggs. Sharing the extra bounty of my flock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the gentle reminders, Annabel. I used the recipes for the muffins and the impossible pie. The muffins were enjoyed for breakfast and used up some leftovers. And the pie was loved by my husband who took the last slice in his lunch today.
    The children & I will enjoy a nice veg soup with cheesy ham rolls for lunch. Such a blessing to stretch what you have. I use Mimi's menu planning chart now. Which helps with less waste.
    Blessings, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your post! Thank you for the links to your recipes. I love finding new ways to use up what we have. We have some jam left from the last couple of years....all the way back to 2020, I think. I wonder if they are safe to use in recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Savingsinseconds, Yes it should be just fine. If its not fine it will have hardened or moulded. Otherwise it should be good! I would use it up in muffins, cake filling, pancakes, milk shakes, bread and butter pudding, jam tarts...! Good luck! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  8. The highest praise I've received in my life were from my children who knew later that the meals I often made were 'desperation dinners' that stretched a little bit near nothing into something that filled their bellies. They laugh now over the 'bean burgers' we grilled and mention fondly some of those casseroles that were more filler and vegetables than meat of any sort. And the second highest was the day my youngest son said to me, "I never knew we were poor until I grew up. I always knew you and dad would provide for what we needed somehow." I was so pleased that we'd saved them a world of worry growing up because we knew how to make the most of what we had.

    A pot roast one day became hash another and then the broth and tiny bits of meat and bone made a big pot of vegetable soup. I knew how to make things stretch! And we still look forward to some of those meals in my home. High compliments indeed when I was asked what was for supper one night and I replied, "Pot Roast..." thinking the idea of that nice big roast would please the boy who asked, and his quick reply was "Can't we just skip it and go straight to the hash?" lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts