Save like Nana Did. Work and routines.

These posts really have me missing my Grandparents!  Increasingly I appreciate everything they did because they contributed so much to us having a strong family and building good foundations for life.   Everything is built upon good foundations and they were there for us in every way.  

I was brought up in an orderly home and complete lack of chaos. For that I am very grateful.  It led me to believe that children thrive on routines and the safety of knowing what is expected and what is going to happen next.  There is a morning routine, an evening routine,  a bed time routine and it is all a cocoon of safety of sorts.  This is even true for us as adults and the more we can do automatically without having to think about it the easier life is.  Like we don't have to plan to eat breakfast and brush our teeth we just do! 

When my girls were little Mum and I would listen to Elizabeth Elliot tapes (yes tapes)  if we took a car trip together.  I absorbed a lot of beautiful lessons from these.  I remember one where Elizabeth warned of the chaos and constant hurry little children can be under.... "hurry up and eat", "hurry up and put your shoes on",  "hurry up... "  because little kids seem to have one speed and it is meandering.  It made me conscious of being organised,  planning well, doing things the night before,  because I myself am not much better than a toddler in the mornings anyway!   I tried to keep things calm and happy as I could.     Through chronic migraines and other health issues at times,  single parent hood,  too many crafts, too much sewing and giant projects I would take on ....  I MOSTLY stayed on top of things thanks to habits,  routines and planning.   


Mum can remind me of some of how Nana and Pa ran things but I can remember a lot since I had my Grandparents until my mid thirties.   Nana and Pa both had their routines and I remember Pa heading off for work and Nan would attack the housework at high speed after breakfast.  I know she had a daily routine ie Monday washing, Tuesday dusting,  Wednesday,  floors and so on.  Washing was a very big day.   Lunch was very often cooked.  There were errands,  gardening, shopping etc that all had a routine as well.  Nana was the youngest of thirteen children.  After lunch she would visit one of her sisters.   This involved a cup of tea,  baking,  exchanging home grown veggies and so on.   Then it would be back to work.   Dinner was quite early and evenings were for relaxing. 


Mum, who is in her 80's now,  still achieves an enormous amount and cooks for her Grand daughters and Great Grandkids...  has her routine.   More and more I have come to appreciate this.  Dad worked into his eighties also with his routine.   He believed many people did not work well because they did not eat well.   Both of their days were orderly with breakfast, cups of tea,  a morning of work.  They both had a cup of tea mid morning.    Also a lunch break with something good to eat and drink.  Then back to work!  An afternoon tea break...    then finally knock off and prepare dinner.   Mum will do some watering /gardening after dinner in summer when it is cooler to be outside.    Dad used to attend to paperwork and so on.

The routine would also take the weather into account.   Sewing and quieter work were suitable in the heat of the day.   Also when tired from cooking or gardening I remember Nan would sit and do some mending or even sit and get the veggies prepared for dinner.   


So it seems like a lot of breaks!  My natural tendency is to get stuck into something,  forget what time it is, forget to eat and drink and then end up feeling terrible and falling in a heap.  But I have proven over and over my Grandparents orderly routine wins.   I will enjoy my day,  feel better and get more done overall by keeping a happy routine and taking breaks.   

This all is not to say my Grandparents didn't have leisure time.  They did and they were very social.   They were great friends with neighbours who would all meet across the road at the local tennis courts in the evenings.   They loved the football and we would go on drives and picnics.   Nana had a group of friends who would get together to spin and knit.  I loved joining in on those days!  It was happy, chatty and creative!   They enjoyed weekends and Sundays was a great family day with us all gathering for a family lunch after church.    


It is really true that the wise woman builds her home.   She watches over her household.   She is diligent.  She is prudent.  There is a point.   Her work influences GENERATIONS.  Your work is valuable.  xxx


Comments

  1. Beautiful post Annabel. When someone mentions something about a skill I have I often reply that one of my Grandma's taught it to me.
    My brother mentioned to me that when he looked at my hands, he saw our paternal Grandmother's hands. He then got worried that I would be offended. Yes her hands were freckled, wrinkled and covered in sun spots, just as mine are. They were also soft hands that would hold yours and show you how to do something. They were hands that I can only hope to have.
    My maternal Grandma was very into setting the table properly for all meals. I have one of her sandwich plates and love to use it when we have a morning or afternoon tea here. My love of a pot of tea comes from her as well.
    One of my Grandma's had a poster over her hall phone table. It read, "God cant be everywhere, so that's why he made Grandmother's". I used to love reading that poster. To me it was absolutely true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful Annabel thank you so much.
    Love Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so enjoyable to read and so full of advice for a successful life. I am widowed and in my golden years and it is so easy to slip into the I'll do it later routine which has led to a lot of just sitting around. Today is.my day to begin living a life with routines. Thank you for an inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your loss and not sure of your age but just sitting around is absolutely no good. If you do not have family to help out there are so many ways to help the community or charities, believe me you are needed! Also it is very good to have a pet. You will be amazed what you can achieve! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Annabel, for these words of inspiration! Love the amazing photos of your mom and Harper (& baby Scarlett)!! Such wisdom in routine. My grandparents always laid out their cups and cereal bowls the night before. Plus their medication next to their utensils.
    Mom trained me to lay out my clothes the night before for school. I still lay out my church clothes.
    Blessings to all Bluebirds,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much, Annabel. Love your post very much. This brought back the fond memories of my wonderful childhood with my loving grandparents, other relatives of extended family and my own parents. Without this many technology to ruin 'family time', we had the most beautiful relationships with everybody related or non-related as long as they were part of the community. What a difference it made - teaching kids to trust, love and share with everybody.

    If you don't mind, may I suggest you something? I'm not promoting anyone or any website. Recipetineats of Nagi Maehashi has a 'heart button' on bottom right corner in her website. Anyone and click on it to send a flying kiss for every recipe she shares. I guess it would be lovely for you too to have something like that. I'm not asking you to follow her, but I love you and your posts very much, guess having pink flying kisses would make you happy too.

    Please note, you don't have to publish this. I just wanted to thank you for what you share with us, especially the photo your mom carrying Harper - love it, Love It, LOVE IT, so much. Demonstration of high volumes of innocence and love!

    Lots of love to you and your loved ones.
    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post, Annabel! Your mum and the girls are beautiful! I love Harper*s expression looking at baby Scarlet - it shows the future good person with a good heart!

    Your stories are similar to my stories - my family was big, loving, social and I was happy and loved everyday. I have learned these routines, too, and am pretty organized, thanks to my Mother and Grandmother. They knew how to live, how to work hard, how to laugh and how to cry. Everything was a part of life and had to be celebrated, cause *life is hard but beautiful*. I try to pass on to my son all these good values - sadly my family now is just the 3 of us. (and many cousins and nephews spread through countries in Europe)

    Thank you for posting and made me remember my happy childhood.
    Lots of love, Laura_s_world from Romania

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Annabel,
    Your growing up years sound wonderful. Your grandparents were such a blessing.
    I was just thinking about routines yesterday. Routines are important and I truly miss having set routines. Autoimmune disorders and caring for my husband has upset my routines greatly. Adapting to flexible routines is important, at times, but set routines are the best.
    My grandparents were key in my life, also. I was baking yesterday and when I cracked the egg and made sure all of the white was out of the shell, I smiled at the memory of my grandmother teaching me that. She was a very frugal lady. She reminded me so much of the woman in Proverbs 31. She had a set time for everything and accomplished so much.
    Thank you for sharing this reminder for routines.
    Much love,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debby in Kansas USA16 February 2023 at 05:56

    Annabel, your grandparents and their routine sounds just like mine were. So comfy to have had in such a crazy world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful post! There is much to learn from your mum and nana, thank you for continuing to share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was lucky enough to enjoy my one grandmother, the other lived far away and was, shall we say, a less than lovable old lady - both grandfathers died before I was born. My mum's mother was a wonderful woman - she lost her husband at a young age and was left with a large family to rear - all girls bar the youngest who was the long awaited son - those women shaped my life - and so did my uncle who along with his wife was the most wonderful influence on me. So many happy memories and I have tried to instil this in my own children and grandchildren. You are so right, we lived by routine - but then we didn't have all the technological devices to distract us from everyday living - we talked, we laughed, we enjoyed life - such carefree times and I love to remember them. Now we, my husband and I, are old age pensioners, looking back on our lives and hopefully to the future as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts