Welcome to a new year!



Making actual hay while the sun shines. 


This year is going to be different.  Different times mean we have to do different things.   And times are very different.   Most of you will know what I am talking about because you are experiencing it and some will be lucky and life has still been normal for you.

If you go by the news in our country then certainly everything is fine.  Our headlines are things like  (I am using todays as an example) "Model spills details over ugly divorce."  How about "Dad tackles thieves in undies."   You get the idea. 

The actual news is not mentioned, at least not that I have seen.   Now I don't generally like to get a lot of news in a day but some things are vital information with which we make important decisions and this is part of being watchful and wise.   While ignorance is bliss it truly leads to the classic case of the wise will see trouble coming and get out of the way and the foolish will walk straight into it.  

So some facts:

The World Food Programme declares the world is facing a global hunger crisis of unprecedented proportions.

The Financial Times said millions of people are marching towards starvation as food crisis worsens. 

The IEA declared the world is in the middle of a "global energy crisis of unprecedented depth and complexity."

The BBC declared the world is facing a "global energy crisis." 

UK Farming Union declared an emergency situation and looming crisis due to fertiliser, feed, fuel and energy all being much more expensive.   There are 7000 less farms in the UK since 2019.  Some countries are purposely forcing farms to close such as The Netherlands.  

The World Bank declared that high food prices have triggered a global food crisis and prices are driving millions more into extreme poverty.

FIP addresses global medicine shortages.

The UN warns of a "looming food catastrophe" caused by multiple factors including the Russia/Ukraine, upsets in the fertiliser and fuel industries and the pandemic.  

The "Cost of Living Crisis"  plus "Global food Crisis" and "Global Energy Crisis" added together mean people are not only short on food they are cold.  

Even the King spoke on Christmas Day, in his first Christmas address,  of the "cost of living crisis" people are facing and TRYING to stay warm and fed.   

I could go on ....  I didn't even get the the war and Europe being at boiling point.  Please don't take my word for it.  It any of this is news to you please research and then further research in areas that could directly be dangerous for your family ie if someone depends on a particular drug,  has special dietary needs etc.  

Sometimes we turn on the TV and watch the news and they mention none of these things.   I am convinced the more people watch TV the less they know.   Some things we saw for ourselves like in our state they closed a main power generation plant and we noticed they didn't keep it there in place for possible emergencies.... instead they BLEW it up.   It doesn't take a lot of brains when you see this happening in other states as well (from whom we depend on drawing power in a heatwave) that trouble is ahead. 

Looking back at history we know our countries have faced things like this before.   The stark difference is the response.  During the war years (and the Great Depression) most of our governments leapt into ways to help people and had campaigns to get every able bodied person to plant a garden,  help their neighbours, form clubs to raise some animals for meat.  Advice was given, every resource counted,  socks were knitted and a giant land army was formed.   The government motivated people and it worked because there became an important mission and camaraderie from working together!   It succeed!  As ships were cut off the UK and Australia we still managed to feed  people and backyard gardeners produced millions of tons of produce!   We had Dig for Victory and The Victory Garden! 

But in this crisis all we hear is crickets.   We are not being warned.  Nothing.   You can draw your own conclusions from that and perhaps where you live your government is preparing you.  SOME have such as Germany has urged each family to have ten days of food and water.   If your country has then I think that is fantastic.   Ours, to my knowledge, have not said anything.  If people can't afford to keep cool in a heatwave or if the electricity generated is insufficient (this is more our problem than freezing temperatures) then it is too bad as far as I can see.    Some evenings Andy and I have seen and heard such alarming things with our own eyes that we have turned on the TV to hear the response.   But again... nothing.   It seems there is no plan.  Worse, it appears there isn't even a plan to make a plan. 

So it is up to us.  The wise woman watches the ways of her household.  She is not afraid of the winter because she is on the ball and bringing in supplies like  several merchant ships working at once!  She is not idle!  Nope,  she is one busy woman.   Last year I discovered that we are to be shrewd.   I never properly understood the meaning of this word and thought it had negative connotations.  I was wrong!  We are to be as shrewd as a serpent, yet innocent as a dove."  (Matt 10.16)   "A shrewd person sees danger and hides himself,  but the naive keep right on going and suffer for it." (Prov 22.3) 

Knowing a few facts is not gloom and doom.  It is possible to have a firm grasp on reality and still be happy and peaceful.  I do not feel afraid.   I know what I need to do and I have been working on it for a good while.   Being prepared gives you a great sense of security and beyond what we can possibly do I trust God to help us with the rest.  I am not a person to sit on the couch all day and say well God will provide.   If you have read even five minutes of scripture you will know laziness is dimly viewed and wisdom, hard work,  watchfulness, being busy with your hands, helping the needy etc.  all don't leave a lot of time!   In fact we are to be like the ants...  they work and prepare.  I think TV and media have induced people into the most dangerous ignorant slumber.   Their reality is not real.   Being prepared ahead is one of the ways you can most help your family.   Maintaining a happy household and atmosphere away from the world is truly a great and beautiful mission.

Over the last few years we have built up a network of Bluebirds from around the world.  I count many of you as my dear friends!   We are going to join this network up for some real life on the ground reports from each country that we can cover.   Because the world is so interconnected what happens in one place affects another.   For instance if China is locked down then the manufacture of many drugs the world depends on is reduced.   Things have a domino effect.  If a couple of countries that produce a huge percentage of the worlds food are knocked out then it will affect supplies.  It is obvious we need to think globally.

So what can we do?  Hopefully anyone who has been here for a while already is working on their pantry, their alternative power sources,  ways to keep warm if the gas or power is out and so on.  Hopefully.    There is so much we can do that will make an enormous difference.  My Grand Parents and their parents went through worse.   We can learn so much from them!  So I am reviving my past series  "Save like Nana did..."   and each week we will have a new subject.  I will do my best along with my Mum who can remember loads of things my Grandparents did as well as growing up in far more frugal times.     Then as a group we can help each other as well because living in different countries we cover a lot of different climates and circumstances.   Like two heads are better than one, right!?

Tomorrow we are getting started!   We begin with "Saving Like Nana did"  and we follow with an "on the ground report" from a Bluebird in Canada.    

So roll up your sleeves, get yourself a note book and take your vitamins we are going to build a Victory Pantry,  we are going to be prudent and we are going to be shrewd.  xxx




Comments

  1. Thank you Annabel! I would like to encourage all Bluebirds to look into "Cityprepping" on YOUTUBE. Chris is a calm, and focus moderator, that encourages us to prepare for what we might face. Every week he reviews the global news and it's possible effects.
    I have found him very helpful in providing solutions not steering up fear.
    Thank you for the time, and encouragement you provide through this blog. I wish for you a peaceful, and healthy 2023.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia for this wonderful recommendation. I am always looking for practical and helpful YouTube videos to watch.

      Delete
  2. This is excellent. I am looking forward to following along. It is a great way to begin the New Year. I appreciate this work so much! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very informative post Annabel!
    The truth is definitely being hidden. We can see the shortages in the stores. A lot of food stuff I use to buy is no longer available and I have had to change to something different. Having a veggie garden is going to be a life saver! A well stocked pantry is definitely crucial in these uncertain times.
    I am looking forward to "Saving like Nana did." Your mum will be an important asset for all of us to learn from.
    Thank you for all you do.
    Love Tania xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Annabel, thank you for taking care of all of us, your friends from all over the world. You have a beautiful heart to care for your wonderful family and to prepare us, too. Just because you want us to be ok 💓🥰🌹. Got myself a coffee, a note book, rolled up my sleeve - ready to fight in my part of the world! Laura_s_world from Romania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thank you Annabel for your wonderful generosity and kindness. This blog is a true gift. Love, Lily

      Delete
  5. I love this Annabel, you are spot on! Looking forward to participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annabel, Happy New Year! Wonderful thoughts in your blog today. And very well written. I agree 100%. I am astonished at how the news isn’t covering important topics nor focusing people on self improvement or sufficiency. Apparently they want the sheep to keep their heads down. This year will be hugely different for me, my husband of 40 years passed away last week, so now to build a life without him is my challenge. We were working on our skills, and will now start learning those areas where he was the expert. Looking forward to your new topics each week. Thank you again. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilogene, I am so sorry for your loss. I have been praying for you.

      Delete
    2. I’m so sorry Hilogene. I can’t imagine. Much love. Patti in California

      Delete
    3. Hi Annabel,
      As always you continue to inspire and encourage us! So grateful for that!
      There definitely is a world wide agenda working against the common people.
      I know they want less people and they want us less independent and I think it gets much worse after that.
      No fear here. I am determined. Looking forward to the new series with a happy heart. Much love to you all as you build your stockpiles.
      Patti in California

      Delete
    4. I am so sorry for your loss Hilogene.
      Love, Sheila

      Delete
    5. Hilogene! I am so sorry to hear this. ((( Virtual hugs to Hilogene )))

      Delete
    6. Oops, I'm Anonymous .
      --Maxine, also on The Prudent Homemaker

      Delete
    7. Hilogene, my condolences for the loss of your dear husband. Love, Teresa

      Delete
    8. Dear Hilogene, I am so sorry for the loss of your Husband. I hope we can be here for you and if there is anything I can do to help please let me know. Thank you for your kind words and support too! With much love and prayer, Annabel.xxx

      Delete
    9. Dear Hilogene, I am so sorry for the passing of your beloved husband. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers. Love, Lily

      Delete
    10. Hilogene I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. Sending you hugs, prayers and added strength to get through a most difficult time in your life from Australia.

      Lorna.

      Delete
    11. Dear Hilogene,

      I am so sorry to hear that you lost your beloved husband of forty years. Please know you have a friend in OK who is praying for you and sending much love and support.

      Kathy

      Delete
    12. Hilogene - I am sorry to hear of your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Amy in Phx

      Delete
    13. Dear Hilogene much love and support to you in such a sad and difficult time. Take strength from the replies here.
      Kate

      Delete
    14. Hilogene, I am deeply sorry for your loss as well. I know you from several different groups including this one and Prudent Homemaker.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Annabel. Your energy motivates me to get a move on. Complacency has become a way of life in the US. Happy New Year and stay well.
    Bun

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear beautiful Annabel and the bluebird beauties and any blue bird beaus (men)that may be reading ,
    I love love love this ,my gran has taught me many things throughout my life including being wise with money ,I need to go back in my memory banks and actually reapply some of what her and grandpa ( her late husband ) taught me .
    My own parents have taught me heaps too .
    I absolutely am on board with being wise and building up my pantry and hopefully this isxtge year I start a very tiny garden again ,yes i once albeit briefly grew strawberries and some herbs on my patio .
    Ivlook forward to this year .
    Love Barb woodford

    ReplyDelete
  9. The news here in the US is mostly happy human interest stories now. I am afraid most that we know just have their heads in the sand including family and our kids. The empty shelves at the store just seem so normal now. Knowing how to build a pantry and have supplies on hand is essential but most have no access to a way to learn. Food stamps here in our state are going back to the pre-pandemic amount in one month and all I see is that people are planning to get a second job. Honestly, the amount that will return to is the budget amount we have lived on for years. The question is how can we get the knowledge to those who need it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I look forward to being a part of this community in both learning, and hopefully sharing. Thank you for taking the time necessary to provide this information. The Lord is preparing us for such times as these both in a physical and spiritual sense. Stay in the Word, nourish your soul and.your body, encourage and help one another. Be a link in the Lord's chain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Annabel, Thank you for doing this series. I'm looking forward to learning lots of wonderful things. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Annabel,
    You covered the situation beautifully. As Patara always says, "No one is coming to save you." We are all in this together.
    I look forward to reading all of the comments and accounts that our Bluebird family have to share. I really feel community far and wide are going to be very important in 2023.
    We live in Wyoming and even though there might be like minded folks here, one would not know. People tend to be very independent and tight lipped here. It took me years, after growing up in the midwest in the 1950's, to adjust to the lack of warmth and welcoming that I was used to among neighbors and friends.
    There are many places one can live, in the U.S., and find that people are distrustful of others and isolation is an issue. Perhaps, this has become an issue in many countries. If any Bluebirds have suggestions on how to go about finding other preparedness folks I would appreciate them sharing. Thank you in advance.
    Love and hugs,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glenda,
      Perhaps you could offer to running a workshop on canning, jam (jelly) making or basic gardening in the local area? Whatever skills you have will be valuable to beginners. This would also give you a network. It’s time to be using our courage to reach out. But be cautious as pantry people will be an obvious target when the situation deteriorates. Take care
      Kate

      Delete
  13. Dear Annabel,
    Thank you so much for this new endeavor and providing a forum where we can share and learn from each other. Wishing all the Bluebirds a Happy and Healthy New Year. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Annabel, You are amazing!!! Thank you for all you do to share your knowledge with us. We moved from a huge city to a small town in the Ozarks and we are loving it. I now have to rebuild my pantry and start planting fruit trees and veggies, but I left me two girls with a full freezer full of food and so many boxes of pantry items. Happy New Years! Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year to you and yours Annabel. I’m extremely glad that you are running this and look forward to learning and sharing information. I live in England, my sister lives in France and hopefully will be joining us for this. My very best wishes to you and to all f your readers. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am looking forward to this! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks you Annabel . I am looking forward saving like nanny did.b
    First time posting. Love and Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  18. At first, I thought what a Debbie Downer post. But I read on and I was inspired by your attitude, your thoughtfulness and your faith. So I got my vitamins, I got my big jug of water and a notebook and I'm ready to begin. I have a six month pantry already and I'm gonna stretch it out to nine months, maybe even a year. Thank you, I'm a Nana already and I know that my grandmother knew things that I did not learn as my mother was a minimalist and didn't plan for anything in her life. Tell us what we need to know please, I want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post was so spot-on that I read it to my husband. You are correct, we are being lulled and gaslit into complacency. Husband is old enough (91) to remember victory gardens and the homefront efforts during WWII, and this time IS different. We try to stay informed, but it is very difficult. I read your blog every time because Australia is frequently a bellwether for what is coming to the USA. I very much like the idea of reports from your readers around the world. News about the issues that affect all of us who are making a home is very much needed. The best part of this grassroots reporting is that positive attitudes and actions are included. You don't just report what is happening, but what you are doing about it in your own home and family. Thank you so much for all the work you do to bring us this blog every week!
    --Frances in the Trailer Park (in SW Pennsylvania, USA)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done! I second the recommendation on City Prepping on YouTube. He’s excellent. I’ll get my notebook in hand and get ready to add to my pantry. Thank you so much for your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Annabel

    great post! And how very true one. In my country also one can not find any useful information in media. Most people are blind for world around. Even war news from Ukraine are not important anymore. If you turn TV on is all about reality shows and quasi celebrities. Our medical system is falling apart, right now people are waiting in ER for 30 hours, yet nobody write about it. I am looking forward for your new series - I think you are an inspiration to all of us. God bless you and your family and happy New year to all Bluebirds, Alenka from Slovenia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Annabel, Happy New Year, which we will make it one, despite the challenges that seem to be upon us in 2023. Thank you for your truth written here and the sobriety you offer in facing things head on as you are willing to see what is right before you. Here in California a slew of laws for 2023 have been passed that are very suspicious. As the Lord would have it my visit with a physician (new to me) who also worked for the police force for 25 years and the SWAT team in my parents area told me, "don't come back here". He spends a week on the San Francisco Peninsula and then works from home in the State of Nevada. He affirmed that our current place of residence is "like another State" in mindset and that this is okay. The city areas have the mindset grooved into people to be compliant and controlled and I have reason to think this is the case throughout the world in general terms. Your insights and inspirations are a blessing opposite all your purposeful activity in harmony with your family and friends all over. Thank you and blessings in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looking forward to all of us getting together around the world to share what is and will be important to our survival in this changing world. May the Lord be with us all.
    Linda McCaffity
    Texas, USA

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so motivated this year to do all the things! Time is flying past so quickly that it scares me a little, it’s too easy to let a minute an hour or a day pass by, and after spending time reflecting on 2022 I realise that is exactly what happened to me. This year I want to be focused, productive and goal driven, so I can look back and say I did not waste a moment. I very much look forward to this series and indeed your whole blog for inspiration and motivation. We can’t rely on government we can only rely on ourselves. My sleeves are rolled up and ready 🐦❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, this is how I feel too. I don't want to waste a moment. Love, Lily

      Delete
    2. Cheryl-I feel this exact same way too! Little by little we will get there together ; ) Jenn in Iowa

      Delete
  25. Thank you to A Working Pantry for pointing me in your direction. I am intrigued

    ReplyDelete
  26. This will be a very appropriate series. Looking forward to seeing what you and readers do to get by

    I have not been able to comment on blogs for a year or so. I’ve fiddled with my iPad setting so many times but I finally did something that pleases Blogger and I can comment again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Annabel,

    What a great rallying post for the new year! Ready here!

    Happy New Year!

    Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looking forward to getting some good information. This sound like a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I totally agree with what you say on the news front!! ,I want to start growing more in our garden have lots of greens growing they are vitamins too ,I look forward to reading more information from this series

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for the kick in the pants

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Annabel,
    Thank you for this wonderful series. I have been watching the news over the Christmas break and am shocked at what is deemed as news when there are such dire things happening in the world. A few months back my Mum's friend who is Sri Lankan told her about the happenings there. Yet not one bit of this was shown in the news. They aren't telling us anything. I feel an urgency, as Cheryl said before, to not waste a minute. That time is valuable and to make this home as wonderfully calm and loving as I can. I am trying to give more, and to be more friendly to the world because kindness doesn't cost anything. I will read this series very carefully with a pen and paper and will take notes. Thank you so much for the gift you have given each of us in this blog and the way you have helped each and every one of us. Lots of love, Lily

    ReplyDelete
  32. Annabel yes things are not looking good at all unfortunately with the energy, food and cost of living crisis.

    The silence is the quiet before the storm as was it in days gone past right before recessions everything is made out to be totally fine.

    Looking forward to seeing what the victory pantry entails and joining in.

    Lorna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorna what you said has confirm3d something for me. I was reading about how things were before the collapse of the stock market, before the wars.... silent. More silent than usual. xxx

      Delete
  33. A wonderful post, Annabel! While I don't watch much tv, I am guilty of being on the computer quite a bit and then wondering why "nothing got done"! Of course it didn't! lol! I do wish more of my gift recipients appreciated and like homemade gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This information is so good! God bless and increase your efforts! We all need to do something each day to bolster our pantry and our homes. Little actions add up! I am motivated to do more this year while spending less. Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you so very much Annabel for sharing all of your wisdom and insights. I could not agree more and I know that God is preparing us for the days to come. Looking forward to hearing from other woman around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Annabel, thank you for your honesty here. Great motivational post! Thank God I learned good home and food management skills from my mother, who learned them from her mother. The Old Ways are coming in handy more than ever! I've tried to pass this info on to the next gen but they don't seem interested.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Remember to grow medical herbs. Here in the United states our hospitals were overrun with flu patients and there were shortages of flu medications in the stores. Mullein is king of respiratory and bronchial needs, and is used as a tea. You can also brew it strong in a pan and cover your head with a towel and breathe it in.


    Very important to have mullein and it can grow indoors with enough light.


    Comfrey can be chopped and infused in olive oil to make a healing oil. My husband slipped on ice and hurt his rib, but didn't break it. He rubbed comfrey oil on it for 3 days and no more pain. Wear an old tshirt because it stains but heals many things quickly.

    And if you are in drought areas, you can buy rain barrels. The amount of gallons of rain water you can collect may be limited but the amount of tap water is not. These barrels can go in the basement or possibly garage if its not too cold that they would freeze and burst.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Annabel, Your blog is the best! God bless you for all you do! I’m the fellow who prints your blog for my 96 yr old mother-in-law. She loves it! But she’s becoming less able and unable to do many of your crafts, although she has shared cards I send and candies to other residents and used to share casseroles and other dinners with others and vise versa. Other residents sluggish:,only 6-8 out of 40 will come to sponsored free dinner when one is offered. Same with bingo. Anyway, I was wondering if you and the Bluebirds might have some more sedentary and/or easier things that her type could do like calling friends to cheer them, oh I don’t know, but if YOU slip some in, they’ll take it from you! No use saying “I can’t” do anything! Keep trying! Keep reading and not always romance novels, you get the idea! It’s all snow and cold so she stays in on those days! Anyway, a “disguised” pep talk!!
    Thanks for reading this. I, too, LOVE reading of your adventures in the farm in Australia!! Thought of authoring a book?
    Oh, what do you think of suggesting not just notes, etc but a book of Grandma’s remembrance for one’s children, just adding as the mood strikes with any and all kinds if things, from how I keep my meringue from weeping, recipes, canning tips, to past Christmases, parties, clubs, etc. like you do when yo get to reminiscing!
    This is so long but….
    Thanks again! I have Swiss chard and dill plants in 3” pots here in Florida!
    Much Live, Rick P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rick, You are a gem of a son in law. I think depression is high amongst nursing home residents. With my Nana B and a friend we visited I found it to be so grim. My Nana was mentally very bright and it was very hard for her she thought most of the residents were zombies.
      So... for an older person I think crochet is a good easy project that can be put down and picked up and gone on with as suits. Buying a note book and providing pretty stickers she can embellish her pages. Even colouring in as you can get gorgeous books aimed at adults in about any theme. Can your Mother in Law write? If she can write or relay to you and you would do it... since she likes my blog and I could sure do with someone her age helping me with info from the war years and depression years I would be THRILLED to figure something out. Also... if I have her address I would love to send her cards and notes. So Rick please contact me my email is brinkzi21@hotmail.com Well done on your Chard and Dill! xx

      Delete
    2. I have been looking at news items and honestly feel I've been reading the old gossip slander sheets more than news. But now and then some little something slips through the cracks and I read a bit of 'real' news. Like the article I've mentioned on my blog two or three times now about shortages/outages we might see in the U.S. One item looked innocent enough but it turns out that what they said it would affect (soda) which is hardly a necessity for us, also would affect frozen foods/ deli meats/ and frozen fish...Now that rather changed the tone of that particular outage, didn't it?
      Most recently here we've found our stores lacking in a children's fever reducer. We have found an alternative product with the same medicine and cleaner carrier agents for about the same but when the 'name brand' medicine was found (online only) the price had tripled.
      Let's DO this...

      Delete
    3. Hello Rick,

      My Nana lived to be over one hundred and spent several of her years in a nursing home. Like Annabel's family, she was also very sharp mentally! She loved getting any kind of package that she could show her friends and share (cards and candies as you mentioned, she also loved crackerjack popcorn, audiobooks, anything from the area of the country we lived in - different states, so it was fun for her to receive maps and mementos from local attractions, hand lotions were a big hit) and she loved to paint! There are all different styles of painting, even just abstract swirls of pretty colors, so even if her fine motor skills present an issue for her, she could still make something beautiful that she could gift to a friend (a canvas, a greeting card, clay pots for plants, those wooden trinket boxes or plaques from the craft store). Paper punching gift tags might be something she would enjoy; also I love Annabel's suggestion of stickers to embellish her notebook or even greeting cards/calendars.

      Hope you have a great day,
      Kathy

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts