Laine's Letters. My Vacuum Workout.

 Dear Sisters,

I just completed my Vacuum Workout.
It is a workout for my body that requires a vacuum in my right hand and tennis shoes on my feet while wearing light fitting clothing. It takes me about 30 minutes to do the whole house. I do this Vacuum Workout about twice a week. The best part is it's totally free, and my whole house gets a good vacuuming at the same time that I am exercising my body.
For starters, I have a very heavy vacuum. I could have changed that out years ago, but I realized early on that it kept my muscles in shape as I moved that heavy instrument around from room to room. It has an extension wand to suck up dust which is important in my workout as it requires me to stretch and reach beyond what I would normally be able to reach. Just by pulling and pushing and stretching with my vacuum in hand, I am working out so many muscles. My heart is pounding. And I feel exhilarated when I am done - much like you feel after a fast walk or run. 
When I do a Vacuum Workout, I have to have my tennis shoes on. This signifies to my brain that some serious movement is going to happen. I usually start in my parlor (it's a parlor by day, and our living room by night). I typically vacuum early in the morning after everyone is up. I start with vacuuming the carpets and/or floors, then I put the wand on and vacuum window sills, ceilings, corners, baseboards, shelves, on top of furniture and under furniture, fans, lampshades, and lastly any spider that I see or it's leftover cobwebs. (I live in the country, so there are always spiders.) Today I found a black widow, so I called my husband in to kill it, and then I vacuumed the web up. It was hiding under a small piece of furniture. The Vacuum Workout spots everything at some point! 
The rooms I vacuum are in this order: the parlor/living room, the hallway, the bathroom, my daughter''s bedroom, our bedroom, the guest bedroom, the play room porch, and lastly the kitchen and pantry.
I'm huffing and puffing yielding my heavy vacuum over the bottom, middle, and tops of these rooms as fast as I can. My goal is to get my body moving, my heart pumping, and lastly to get my house all clean at the same time while stretching every muscle. It's a win win!
Sometimes I have to take a break between rooms, especially if my back is bothering me. But after a rest, I get back to it and finish the job. If my back is really bad, I'll split it up between days. But that's okay as it gives me more days to work out, and I'll just have to pace myself the next day. Today I required only one sit down for ten minutes after doing the whole house except the kitchen. After my rest, I was able to finish the last of my workout in the kitchen. Last week I was able to do a double Vacuum Workout as I did my house then ran over to vacuum my mom's cottage as well. She was so happy.
I feel good after my Vacuum Workout.
And so does my home. ❤️
Love,
Laine
"I love You, LORD, my strength."

Comments

  1. ;). Thanks to Laine for this post. What a great way to look at it. I really dislike cleaning floors in general and now just set aside the time to do it, but haven’t progressed to seeing the exercise benefit. That should help me get my butt moving even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Our five children did the vacuuming when they were growling up as part of their chores so when the last one left home it was my job. I really had no clue how to do it properly and ran over the cord and damaged it twice at which point my Husband told me to just leave the vacuum cleaner alone and he would do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your positive attitude! I hadn't thought of vacuuming this way, but I know that my heartrate goes up when I lug that heavy vacuum up and down the stairs. So glad that you are feeling well enough for a vacuum workout. Continued prayers for healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kind of fun attitude! My children and I love to put music on when we do afternoon chores. Vacuuming is a morning chore. Ohhhh! And I love the idea that we "get to clean the _______". That phrase is a signal to my spirit that I will be happy with the end result of an unpleasant task.
    Praying for your continued recovery!
    Blessings, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debby in Kansas USA6 October 2022 at 08:35

    I was imagining you doing your exercise to The Hustle - remember that 70's craze?! You could always do the Macarena and throw in some fancy arm exercises! With all the stuff online, I'll bet someone has developed an entire workout while vacuuming.
    You go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laine and everyone,

    Well, I was today-years-old when I read your letter and learned that I don't have to struggle with dusting all of my lampshades - I can just vacuum them! What a time and effort saver. I can't believe no one ever told me this before, but what a help this tip is - I've already run around my house with the extension attachment and attacked all of the fabric lampshades. Thank you!!

    I hope everyone has a good weekend.
    <3
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts