Get the Ball Rolling.

Recently we have been talking about ways to get ahead,  putting the things we need out there and asking and the fact that with ingenuity,  resourcefulness and determination we can do better than it might seem possible!


Today I am going to add some ideas on how to get more done because we might have the things we need but be short on time and so our dehydrator sits idle and our garden is unattended.   People say I get a lot done.  But I work within my limitations.  I am great on the "she works into the night" part but not on the early morning part!  I get tired too.  I hit the wall sometimes! 

Because I suffered migraines very badly when I was younger I had to learn to make hay when the sun shines because I would regularly have several days where I could do nothing.  So when I was well I cooked extra and did extra jobs and this helped me get through when I was sick.  When I had a bad migraine I was knocked out in bed unable to move.  It was terrible.   Days I felt well were so wonderful and I knew to get stuff done. 

Well life is like that. We all have times it is easy to do extra,  put up food and extra things like add to the gift cupboard and plant the garden.  Then there are times of illness or a crisis where there is just no time at all for anything!  So my favourite saying "make hay while the sun shines" is really true.  The sun is not always shining!  

Sometimes things hit without warning!  If we have meals in the freezer, the pantry is stocked and we are ahead we get through it better.   Often things hit but we had a warning.  Praise God when we have a warning!  The wise see what is coming and prepare!  

There are a lot of serious warnings right now.  We can look at these and make a plan and get busy or put them in the too hard basket and hope they will go away.  You know what I am going to say about this!  Get going!  While you have time and opportunities!


Europe is facing serious issues with a gas crisis that while news now it will become dangerous as Autumn and Winter arrive.  Many people are buying electric heaters instead of gas but if everyone does this will the electric grid keep up with this?  I am not sure.  I see prices are also rising incredibly and in the UK the combination of the cost of heating the home and the added costs of fuel and food are adding up to some very cold homes.  Wherever you are I consider you all my friends and so I take notice.   We all have a thing called normalcy bias... where it is hard to imagine or accept things could drastically change.  But things can drastically change!  There is time to prepare! 

Here in South Australia we face an increasingly wonky electric grid due to the fact they blew up one of the main electricity plants.  We have a lot of wind powered electricity but ironically this doesn't operate when it is windy,  or when it is hot.  Or when there is no wind!  We have a lot of solar.. but obviously this doesn't work when there is no sun.  We have had fuel rise in costs along with food and some things have doubled or tripled in price. It is not a few cents.  A lettuce is $10!  A roast beef $100! Last week in the city I noticed the meat departments were very different.  There were tiny tiny packages of meat.  Like little tiny roasts smaller than anything I have ever seen.  Kind of  "kids kitchen"  play size.  I stopped and looked and realised meat is so expensive now they have adapted and re packaged so that you can buy a tiny roast for one or two people and two tiny lamb chops etc.   All I could think is how would you feed a family of hungry teenagers!?   I could go on with new challenges we face.  We all see it in various forms wherever we live.  Many countries are attempting to get rid of farming and we saw how that turned out in Sri Lanka.   I have known people who haven't considered what they will eat if there are no farms? 

Well, this all leads me to maximising what we do get done when we are able to do it and while there is availability! It is a good time to be very very busy! 

One method I use all the time is from my Mum.  That is to get the ball rolling.  Almost every task has a series of steps.   Mum would always do several steps of the morning jobs the night before.  Mornings then ran much better.   But you can apply it to anything.  I will use making Chicken soup as an example.   Even when sick I can make a big pot of nourishing chicken soup very easily.   Knowing this is my plan and I am hopeless in the mornings I get the ball rolling the night before.   

First I will get the slow cooker out and sit it on the kitchen bench.   I will add some water.   I will set out the chopping board with a couple of onions ready to chop and my jars of soup beans.  Then I will get my chicken out of the freezer and sit it in the fridge.  

In the morning I will stagger out and turn the cooker on.   Pressing "High" is manageable at that point!  Then next I will throw in the beans and chicken.  Now the soup is on the go I will add things as the day goes on.  Chop the onions then some celery and carrots.  Later some herbs.  And so it goes.   It is easy as I was half way there.  This also works because when you have started something with many steps already done it commits you to keep going!  It is easier to keep going than go back!   I use this psychology on myself all the time! 

I am forever thinking of what I want to get done tomorrow or later in the week and just do some or two steps to get the ball rolling.   It is Sunday afternoon now and I know I need to send a couple of parcels this week so in a minute on the way to the kitchen I am going to sit a couple of packing boxes on the dining room table....  and get these jobs going.  I do end up with lots of balls in the air but some are near completion and it is so satisfying to finish each one!


My second main method to get things done is to divide and conquer.   I use this when the job is huge and daunting. Or perpetual like weeding or dusting.  Or for something I don't like!

The messiest room,  biggest mess, hugest task like painting the whole house...  is easy if you break it down.   Once my craft room was so shocking I didn't know where to start.  So I made a rule I had to deal with or put away ten items a day.   I would literally go in and count 10 items and call it a day.  After a week I was really getting there and this motivated me to keep going.     I painted the whole house in a year in Adelaide by picking an area each week to work on. I remember week one was my little laundry which I painted yellow.  It was a small job and looked lovely.   Each week I picked a wall,  doors,  skirting boards...  something and over the year it was all done.    Oh and then I did the front fence. With weeding I just try to pull a few weeds a day. Consistency really does work.  A few minutes a day in the pantry or garden or any area really will work.  I also use the Flylady trick to set the timer for 15 minutes and go go go!    In the evening I often heat a hot pack in the microwave.  I have a big one that takes five minutes.  While it is on I go fast in the kitchen and see how much I can do before the timer goes off!  It is AMAZING what you can do in five minutes.   So when something is too painful for words maybe commit to five minutes. Put on the timer and move it!  


Many times we put off a job because it is unappealing only to find out it took hardly any time at all! 

Getting stuff done is a big subject.  Cath posted a very good and thought provoking video The Thieves in your Life.   We might have many goals but seriously,  so many things steal our time and money.  It takes some serious re evaluating to manage this.   I do not have the TV on in the day or most evenings.  This alone gives you hours more a week.  Changing circumstances mean we have to do different things.  

I wrote ages ago on this subject in  Your Time.   It is good to know our mission,  our priorities,  and it is ok to say no to people or to requests that are not in our budget.  In fact it is not just ok it is vital!  Countless people would love your time and money.  But as Patera (Appalachian Homestead) says these people are NOT going to be there to help feed your babies!  

My third big help is to get the Handmaidens working.   If I can get the day going,  the dinner is started in the slow cooker,  the bread maker is making me some dough, the washing is on,  the dishwasher is going, then it is a whole team working. You might have a robot vacuum that is even better.   In Spring Andy is hopefully putting a dripper system in to water the orchard.  I have over twenty fruit trees now and they need a lot water and it takes a while.   It will be like having an extra helper to know the dripper system is doing this for me.   This help is valuable! 

 As summer ended and I had a lot of produce coming in the slow cooker was full of apples, the dehydrator was full of pears,  my apple peeler and corer was the best helper I had!  Jam in the microwave or on the stove.  I could motor through things fast! Another slow cooker might be full of tomatoes.   It feels good to have all the hand maidens busy! 

We all think and work differently but these are some things that work for me.  They are still working for Mum.  She has turned 80 now and she still outworks most 20 year olds!  She cooks and takes meals to help the girls.   She makes bags of kindling for their fires.  She runs a large home and garden.  So the things I have learned from her truly work!   I hope you will think of her if you use her method to get the ball rolling to increase your productivity!


In the evening when Mum does stop she works on blankets, baby clothes, little hats and provides for all the babies and for any need she hears of and for missions.  

What are methods that help you get extra done, deal with a lot of produce,  add to your pantry or garden?  I am planning my week and thinking of a baking day... which is another subject of its own but boy a baking session or meal prep session can be very productive! 

Now lets get the ball rolling on a very good week! xxx




Comments

  1. Great post Annabel Smith. My mother used to say I was ready for tomorrow yesterday - I like to get things started and ahead as much as possible too. I have check the canning shed on my to do list for this week - canning season is a ways off, but I need to check the jars, lids, rings, make sure everything is where it should be and all clean, ready to go. If I don't do it now, and leave it, then I'll be rushed and something else will get left. And I love your Mum's way of getting ready for the morning - I do that still. After dinner clean-up I make sure the kettle is filled, the mugs are out for tea and coffee, dishwasher is ready to run after breakfast, anything for next night's dinner is in the fridge, slow cooker is on the sink if I'm using it, lunch things are in the fridge. I used to get the kids to check their uniforms were ready and shoes at the door, books and homework packed. Sure made/makes the morning run so much smoother and combined with my cleaning routine, saves a heap of time and energy. I get dinner ready straight after breakfast, because if I crash during the afternoon, I know we will eat that night. Other things we can do to get the ball rolling I know you do - keep a gift box and fill it through the year. This means that there is no Christmas or birthday shock, and we can give beautiful gifts within our means. It sounds like I work all the time, but it's not work to me, I love what I do to care for our home and look after my family every day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't enjoy ironing but if I set a time limit of half an hour I can go at it and then stop. Even I can endure half an hour! Sometimes I'm in the swing of it and can keep going.
    The get the ball rolling method I use for life admin, I make the first phone call or email, or gather the documents I need and just do the first thing to get underway. This keeps anxiety down as I've made a start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an inspiring post.
    I'm disabled and older and I am having a hard time getting my house in order nowadays.
    I read your blog every week and
    Enjoy it so much.
    I bought a new home in the country. I had a contractor here
    Forever . Then I spent most of a year in and out of the hospital.
    Then COVID hit and I couldn't get
    Things or services to get anything completed.
    So I am overwhelmed.
    I am going to put these techniques
    to use starting today.
    Please keep teaching people
    To prepare.



    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog topic today, thank you. I have an outside storage room that is a horror, and I will do your “10 items” plan. Every time I walk in there I shudder and run out ;). I also really like your handmaidens comment. For years I have disliked vacuuming, and mutter about it. Last year I finally timed myself for the weekly vacuuming (doing the high traffic areas)…start to finish 15 minutes. I was mortified that I had spent so much time complaining about something that only takes 15 minutes ;). Love your blog, thank you, Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilogene I used to absolutely hate to make my bed after stripping it for washing. Then I tried that, "Just time yourself" method and it took four minutes to make from bottom to top. Everytime I find myself dreading doing a routine sort of task now I say "Oh just go ahead and time it...See how long it take you." Often enough it's stopped the complaints about the routine things entirely!

      Delete
  5. A great post Annabel!

    I can unfortunately be a procrastinator {like my dad lol}, but from tomorrow I will be getting my ball rolling more. You have given me the extra push I needed.

    I love the photo of your mum, she is a wonderful role model for you. I will follow her example of getting more done rather than just sitting watching TV or youtube. My mum was a go getter too!

    I will try your 10 things method for my sewing room, it is in chaos at the moment. Or I might try and find half an hour a day and just start!

    I have beetroot to pickle again, seeds to plant in the garden, I have been preparing my pumpkin patch and making heathy organic soil for my wicking barrels and other plants, I am also prepping extra spaces for growing food. I have stinging nettle drying by the fire for making tea. The fruit trees have been pruned ready for spring, we are lucky to be having warm weather up this way already. Still no rain though, but that's okay because our tanks are pretty full from previous rains earlier. My veg garden now gets rain water, it has its own tank! Hubby is preparing to build a fence around our fruit trees to protect them from the hot north winds. I am mulching everything, and going to get a trailer load of horse poo from my daughters place through the week.

    I love your enthusiasm, hopefully I catch some of it.

    Have a wonderful week,
    Lots of love, Tania xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really helpful thanks...I do have my tv on in the evening and love to get jobs done in the ad breaks...This works for me...Many jobs take a few minutes to do...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the extra posts and for teaching us tips to be more productive! ❤️ I have a fun answer to this afternoon! I prayed before I went to our local farmers market for a box of canning tomatoes. In fact, I prayed specifically for a good price on those tomatoes! I checked several booths, and they were either out or the price was too high. I remembered a local gas station where some farmers set up a booth now and then. I decided to check there. God worked it out just right for me to be the only customer and have time to chat with the farmer. He gave me a fantastic price on the tomatoes, peppers, and jalapenos! As I was leaving, many customers came up to buy tomatoes. He wouldn't have been able to sell me a box of id been a few minutes later! God has what I needed, at the price I needed, exactly at the right time! Thank you for encouraging us to pray specific prayers for what we need! Now to get busy canning! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a blessing you are to us all with these reminders today.

    We have talked to many lately and we all agree that there is no safe haven now but our Lord Jesus. Without Him we would be afraid. He is our refuge and comfort.

    We live only a little ways from that dear Patera and my husband was born in the same county as her so we are right on board with all she says! We just keep pottering away day by day. Today there was one jar of green beans from our little garden to run through the canner and now that is done and they can be saved for later. We are learning to eat way less meat and not really missing it very much. We are making substitutions for less expensive ingredients everywhere we can. Many places where we used to use butter we are now using saved bacon grease and vegetable oil.

    Those handmaidens are so very important! We often pressure can one or two jars because we have a smart canner which makes it so very easy. I can't imagine not having a washing machine to do our laundry. Now we use the air fryer pretty often because it saves on heating up the big oven and saves electricity many ways. Mom get a robotic vacuum a few years ago and what a blessing for an elderly lady with a big dog!

    Keep on keeping on y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annabel thank you for the reminders and very good advice :) .

    I must say I am not a morning person either but after we have a hot chocolate on our patio in the mornings I will head back inside where I pass the laundry and I will stain remove anything that needs it and put on a load of washing. Sort of flylady zone cleaning as I am passing said spot anyway. Then I will go past the kitchen table and will tidy up a bit of that if it needs it or throw out any empty cans in the recycling tub beside the sink from dinner.

    When we are planning to work outside in the garden I also have washing going, if we have a roast for dinner it also is going in our convection small oven to save on electricity compared to having the big 90cm oven in operation. I have worked out I can push mow the edges of the house yard in about 1 hour and then come inside and the washing is ready to hang out and the second hour of the roast I set the timer again and go and hang the washing out. After I hang the washing out I will usually pull a few weeds from the gardens on my way through.

    Often DH and I will work together but separate and do different jobs so we get double the amount done. Like today DH will be digging out one of the garden beds and while he does that I will be raking up all the winter leaves under the mulberry and other trees and come back with them. By that time DH has dug the garden bed out and I can pour the kitchen scraps into the bed and then the dried leaves to build up the soil level and nutrients and DH will fill the garden bed back up with soil. If he hasn't finished digging out the garden bed I will do some weeding until he has finished so more jobs get done.

    I find the best way for me to get things done is in stages as I pass somewhere I clean a bit or all of it and the same with large jobs like spring cleaning I will maybe damp dust one room at a time in passing. Next time move onto another task like clean all the windows and window sills in that room.

    Hope everyone has a good week ahead.


    Lorna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annabel I am like this in my preparation for work each day. When I arrive home at the end of the day the first thing I do is to wash my face and moisturize. Then I get my clothes ready and lay them out for the next day. After dinner I prepare my snacks fruit and yoghurt in a reusable container, fill up my container with nuts- almonds,cashews and raisins. My lunch is a small serve of one of our hot dinners. I never and I do mean never buy my lunch. Since I am gluten free this is the easiest and most cost effective way to eat. It is also is the healthiest and tastiest. My partner is the chef in our house and he is good at it.
    Having everything ready the night before means I get maximum time in bed,if I sleep in, which seldom happens, I am ready to go in a hurry but it also makes for a relaxed start to my day. This is so ingrained in me that it all happens automatically.
    I watch very little tv so the evenings see me relaxing, in the summer gardening, reading, completing survey rewards and catching up on work related jobs.
    During the weekend I know if I get stuck in to any chores straight away I generally am more productive. I do have to pace myself and listen to my body though so I don't burn the candle to hard and are tired at the start of the week.
    Some wonderful suggestions from you and others here. Being organised makes a world of difference.
    Thanks for another wonderful post.

    Mandy(NZ)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Annabel, your Mum is such an inspiration. I am so inspired by what she does for her family. I hope I am like this. I used to be in a flutter when DS first started school. My Mum then suggested that I start doing some jobs in the evening. So now I make the lunches, and take out the next night's ingredients, water the garden and hang out the washing. It helps me a lot. DH and little DS have covid. So I today while they watched movies/rested I did the house cleaning and the washing of the linen. We have meals in the freezer so should I come down with it, I know now that we are ok. I need to always remember your 'Make hay while the sun shines'. Lots of love, Lily

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this post. Very inspiring. I am a person who gets a lot of satisfaction from checking off things on lists. When I have a big job to do I break it down into little steps and list all the steps, then check each one off as I do it. So, it I'm going to paint, I'll have steps like wash the item, gather my supplies, tape off the area around it, sand, prime, etc. I aim to do one thing each day. A big job feels less overwhelming when I do this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Annabel! Your posts are always so full of information and inspiration that I never feel I'm wasting time here (I avoid most blogs for that reason. Usually too much "fluff" for me!). I am your mom's age so I know what you mean about breaking down jobs in to steps. Speaking of steps, I don't leave a room before looking to see if there is something that I need to carry with me, saving time and energy. I would say also, don't be shy about asking for help. On the days I don't feel up to a lot of cooking I ask my husband to barbeque and we can throw a variety of meats on the pit to use for several meals. I seldom ask my children or grandchildren for help because of their busy lives but I know they would be glad to show up and pitch in if we needed them. They have helped with some big projects in the past and it's always a day or two of hard work but great fun and eats for all. Now I have to go check out the other comments because there is good stuff there, too! Thanks, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankyou for this inspiring post Annabel. I am afraid I get flustered too easily these days and sometimes it really slows me down. I wanted to visit my parents today but my body said no to the drive this morning and I was upset about that. I have had a rest this morning but needed your gentle nudge to keep going. I will make a dent in my ironing pile and get some dinner going (spag bol) right now. Love Clare

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Annabel,

    This is all wonderful advice. And just what I needed to read, as I have several big jobs that need doing, but seem overwhelming to even start, and it is an extremely busy time of the year. I also have to watch and make sure that I actually plan "down" time with family, otherwise the summer is gone and it's all been spent doing chores, and not making any memories with loved ones. My main problem each day, as I am definitely a list maker, is that I ALWAYS put too many things on my list! Groan. However, your post has given me the kick I needed to get going this afternoon...I have some beans and peas to blanch and freeze and a couple of curtain panels to stitch.

    So glad to hear you will have drip irrigation for your fruit trees!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annabel, this post is perfect. It is chock full of wonderful ideas and a lot of encouragement. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Annabel ,Thank you so much for this post it is so inspiring and helpful. If I have baking or cooking to do in the morning but know that time is short I get things set up the night before. It is so useful and takes away the stress you would feel the next morning if you hadn't done it. I have taken a lot from this post. Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  18. I try to leave a clean slate each night so that come morning, I can tackle the things I must get done rather than deal with yesterday's work in a new day. I like to lay out my clothes the night before even if I'm just going to be 'at home' all day long and plan to do nothing but work. Like another mention, I look to see what I can carry from one room to the next whenever I am going from one room to another. When I know I'm starting a big project or doing heavy work the next day I always make sure to have a meal plan for all the meals that day and to get prep work done and supper started. It's so much easier to reheat food than to have to make a meal from scratch when you are DONE. Then while supper is reheating, I clean up the dishes and get them loaded or washed up so that only the supper items must be cleaned.
    I still have a long way to go. I'm not very good at seeing the whole picture. I see the end result I want and often don't understand all the steps required to get to the end result. I'm trying to get to the point where I know the end result, then plan backwards from there what needs to happen so that I know what steps will need to be taken before I start a huge project.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I almost missed this post! So glad I found it!! Very helpful and motivating information indeed, please more posts like this. I’ve wondered myself how you manage to get so much done, this has been very insightful and helpful 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cheryl, this is the third in a series so Im hoping you saw the first two... Turn a little into a lot and Ask and you shall receive. If you didnt then look under Encouragement in the index. I am close to publishing no 4 now. Thank you! xxx

      Delete
  20. Oh Thank you for this push. My pantry is getting cluttered again and I keep putting off clearing it up. 10 items over several evenings should do the trick!
    I also take the time either on Sunday or in the evening to prep for the morning. Lay out clothes, prep the coffee maker, supper items, lunches made. It all helps the next morning so such much smoother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts