30 Days to Better Preparedness. Day How to make Bone Broth. Day 25. How to make bone broth by Glenda.

There were so many requests for Glenda's bone broth recipe that I decided to include it in this series.  What could be more helpful in hard times than the ability to make something highly nutritious for your family so inexpensively.   So here its the recipe Stacy and Louise and others who asked.   


   This recipe is based on a recipe I found on ladyleeshome.com

It is truly the best bone broth recipe that I have ever found. I have tweaked it to our particular tastes and organic options. We use organic bones, vegetables and seasonings, but that is not necessary. The original recipe suggested two to three pounds of bones, but I have found that three pounds gives the richest broth.

            Place the following ingredients into a six quart crock pot.
3 lbs of beef bones (we use the femur bones cut into two inch segments)
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg's with the mother in it)
5 large carrots, peeled and ends cut off. then cut in half
One large onion, skinned, cut into half
6-7 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
2 teaspoons to one tablespoon of dried Parsley
 6 Bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon dried basil (Optional)
1/2 teaspoon Tumeric powder (optional)
Water to fill crockpot (we use distilled, but filtered water or good well water would work, also.)

     I pour the apple cider vinegar directly on the bones that I have laid in the crockpot, so it sits on them as I am preparing the rest of the vegetables and seasonings. The amounts of the seasonings are always adjustable to a person's specific tastes. We happen to love Basil. :)
     The big difference I found, in this broth, is cooking it for a full 48 hours. The suggestion, on the original recipe was 12-24 hours for poultry and 48 hours for beef. Lady Lee was right on about the time.
      I turn the crockpot on High for six to eight hours during the day to bring the heat up to a boil, then turn it down to Low for the night. My crockpot still boils on low, but never let it get below a simmer. Be sure to keep an eye on the water and continue to fill the crockpot to the rim with water and stir the ingredients for the entire time. I usually check it about four times during the day and right before bed.
    When it is done (48 hours), I turn off the crockpot and strain out the bones and vegetables. Then after it has cooled for about an hour, I pour the broth into a large glass bowl with a lid. We set that in the refrigerator for 24 hours until the fat has formed a layer on the top of the broth.
    I skim the broth with a spatula as it is easy to get under the fat layer with that utensil. The fat should break into very large pieces at this point. After the fat is skimmed off, I stir the broth really well, then ladle it into pint jars to go into the freezer. Be sure to leave one inch at the top of the jar for expansion. 
    I put the lid on fairly tight then put each jar into a quart freezer bag and label with the contents and date I froze it. 
    It doesn't last long around here and I have to keep a batch going all the time. I drink from 8 ounces to 16 ounces each day. Bone broth (especially home made) is healing to the gut lining and provides many nutrients to the body. 
    This recipe makes six to seven pints of bone broth.
Love and hugs,
Glenda

Thank you so much Glenda! This is so valuable.    Having this ready made in the freezer or canned would be such an asset too.  
I believe bone broth to be very soothing and healing.  Also that other benefits are collagen building so good for your skin and for your joints.   I have made all baby food with a bone broth base.    It is like liquid vitamins!  

xxx


Comments

  1. So glad to have this healthy recipe. Thank you, Glenda and Annabel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this - it's something I've been meaning to try and make this Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother always used bone broth to make soup and I do, too. About 35 years ago, I worked in the same building as a woman who wrote a cooking column for the local newspaper. She taught me to bake the bones for half an hour or so (time not critical) before adding the water. This "heals" the bones and produces a much cleaner broth without the blood residue. You get similar results using cooked bones from a roast. Looking forward to trying Glenda's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise from Long Island, NY20 September 2021 at 06:23

    Thank you Glenda! And you, too, Annabel! I can’t wait to make this! Not only is bone broth good for the inside, but I’ve noticed (& so have others) that my skin is amazing. A cup of warm broth by the fire is sooo relaxing. Just a note for moms of picky eaters, I sneak some chicken bone broth in my grandchildren’s hot cocoa all the time. Nothing a few mini-marshmallows can’t disguise.๐Ÿ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
  5. More info:
    If you prefer a very gelatinous bone broth for chicken bone broth add the chicken feet and for beef bone broth add in some ox tail bones. Ox tail, on beef, is the cow tail bone cut into about two to three inch segments.
    I am not a chicken feet person, nor does using cow tail bones excite me. ๐Ÿ˜ I am happy with a nice thick, rich bone broth that is delicious and healthy to drink. I heat it on the stove as opposed to a microwave.
    Annabel mentioned canning the bone broth and that is a great way to keep a very nutritious healthy food in your food storage if freezer space is limited. It does need to be pressure canned, so please check a current canning book for the time needed to safely can it in your location.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debby in Kansas USA20 September 2021 at 07:14

    Wonderful! I would probably do chicken. Is the only real difference in the cooking time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Annabel - bone broth is wonderful. I wanted to note that when I make bone broth with beef bones, I roast them first as it seems to give a nicer depth of flavor - sometimes I roast the carrots along with them, too. Also when we have a roast chicken I save the carcass and make bone broth from it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe! My daughter makes chicken bone broth in her Instant pot, and uses it for soup. I’m thinking we could do this with the beef bone broth too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For a further frugal bent - instead of using whole vegetables I save the scraps from my veg prep in a bag in the freezer - carrot peels, onion skin, greens off the leek, Celery leaves etc - and use these instead whenever I make my own broth/stock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I boil mine down to concentrate it and then freeze in a silicon muffin pan. The portions can be popped out once frozen and bagged. They can then be used like a stock cube in recipes, or water added to dilute if pure broth is wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw that I made an error on the parsley listing in the Bone Broth recipe. I apologize, sincerely. The parsley should have (optional) next to it and it is one teaspoon of dried parsley or one tablespoon of fresh. This was totally my error. I am sure many of you caught the mistake.
    Again, I am so sorry.
    Love and hugs,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! Making bone broth in my crockpot right now.
    Blesssings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love making bone broth. It's so good for you and has such wonderful flavor. Thank you Glenda!
    XOXO
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts