30 Days to Better Preparedness, Day 30. Comforts.

We have covered some ground in this challenge!   Thank you to everyone who joined in and especially to Vicky for all her help. 

I am no expert on preparedness and I am bound to have missed many things.   But together we tackled lots of areas and hopefully we all made improvements.    Some of the work will be ahead of us because there is so much to do and it cannot be done over night.   We need to keep at it.  A pantry is always a work in progress, like a garden. 

For this reason I am going to expand The Tuesday Afternoon Club into a place to report in our progress, pantries and gardens and have some future challenges as well.   

Today I am finishing up on the subject of comforts.   We have touched on this a little ie having things for kids to play with if the power is out,  items of comfort in bags that leave with you if you need to evacuate.  

In stressful or hard times we have everyones physical safety and needs at the top of our lists.  There may be less time to consider how everyone is doing mentally.   Right now it is evident that a lot of people are not doing well mentally at all after close to two years of lockdowns and a completely new world we seem to live in.  

Comforts are going to vary from household to household.  I am good if I have a clean bed,  cup of tea, heat pack,  something to read.   If I have one of my fruit cakes hidden away and I produce that Andy is happy.    Mum will be happy with yarn so she can knit or crochet,  tea,  a good book,  a heat pack (this runs in the family!)   Most of us have a fair idea of the things that are just so appreciated by those we live with and around us.  


I 100% know in times of stress I cannot be idle and need things to work on.   Crochet is something I can do in the evening that keeps me more positive.  It is like channelling your energy into something rather than just worrying.  (If you know what I mean.) 

It is like with waiting.  Waiting can be awful and stressful.   People can become quite agitated even waiting at the Doctors.   If you have something to work on that you love even waiting is good as you get some time to work on your project!  Just less stressful. 

I am thinking a stash of treats is going to be a good thing.  Treats that I can store, hide away and are lasting.    Lets think of others but also ourselves.   

Tins of cake of biscuits.  Tins of sweets.

Bubble bath.  Lovely soaps.

Perfume.  

Teas, coffee,  chocolates.

New socks, scarf,  warm hat, gloves.

Hand cream,  good books,  sketch book, nice pencils, new notebook or diary.

Face mask,   nice hair products,  yarn,  fabric or threads. 

I would like to be able to produce a birthday cake and a gift come what may.  I am big on keeping up morale. Things don't have to be fancy but sometimes little things mean a lot.   Between my pantry and my present cupboard I can come up with something!  

Please add in any ideas of items that store well and would add comfort and joy, reassurance even, to life.  

If you would like to share photos of your progress in any area we covered I would love to see and I am sure so would others.   We can give each other a lot of ideas.   We all need to be inventive with space and storage.  If so Tuesday is our main get together day in the club although you can post at any time.   Sometimes we do not have family or friends who are going to admire the new shelf in our pantry or our garden achievements.   Here you have that place.  We all get it and are right there with you with support and encouragement! 

Thank you all!xxx





Comments

  1. Chocolate! I second the bubble bath and nice soaps. Magazines & books.Tea & Coffee. I would also like to have music :) I very often have Classic FM playing in the background during the day and find it calming.
    Some games (connect 4; snap etc) and maybe some puzzle books stashed away.
    Thank you for the time you took with this Annabel and also to the ladies with great suggestions in the comments!
    Much love
    Heidi xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music...I have a collection of cds & songbooks & I'm working on adding musical instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annabel, thank you so much for this series! I feel so much more at peace, come what may;). One useful thing I did, per your suggestion, was to define what was most likely something to prepare for and focus on that. I am not preparing for a nuclear war and living in a tent for a year, but we are prepared for a few months in isolation. That concept alone made it possible to narrow my focus and shorten the list (and make it more achievable). Just asked to join your Facebook group ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would recommend a dog--and two dogs is more than twice as good. I don't want to hijack this thread into a pity party, but we will be losing our older dog very soon due to kidney failure. I can't begin to tell you how sad I am. Dogs make a huge difference in the state of our mental health, because we talk to them every day. We say things to them we'd never tell another human. I also remember crying and confiding in Rosie and being comforted about my infertility, and I know Lulu and especially Molly were huge in my journey out of depression. Molly and Hap made the pandemic bearable. Losing a dog is awful, but the years we have with them make up for it a thousand times over. If you are bored, lonely, hurting--whatever--I recommend getting a dog! Loving is the best way to get through hard times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maxine, I am so sorry and I totally agree with you. A lonely person can easily slip into a non routine and not exercise etc. A dog gives you no choice. Like a personal coach! You have to get up and go about your day and you have a buddy to do it with. I had a very bad time of depression years ago. Animals def helped me out of it. I cannot say how much Scout unproved our life. It has been a big decision to get another dog. Dogs have become harder to get in Aust. due to so many laws about desexing. So here I am with a chance to get another and the breed I always wanted (Border Collie) and I am taking it. If something happened to Scout we would be broken hearted. Two is better than one. I hope many people read your comment as it is very true. Loving company .... the benefits are just incredible! Thank you Maxine, with love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
    2. Dear Maxine,
      I am so sorry to hear about your sweet fur baby with kidney problems.💕 You probably already know this but just in case
      Our kitty had kidney problems and we learned how to do sub Q fluids at home and
      It extended her life and improved her quality of life. There is also Facebook groups that are a lot of help and some great ideas. We were able to buy the lactate ringer by the case
      at Costco at a much lower cost than one sub Q session at the vet. We followed a site I believe called Tanyas something also. It was for kitties I am sure they have them for doggies also.
      Much love,
      Part from San Diego

      Delete
    3. Dear Maxine, I am very sorry for you. I have been there and my heart was broken a few times. The price we pay for all that love. Now I have 2 dogs, a little puppy and a big rescue dog and my life is more beautiful because of them.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for doing this series, Annabel.
    Chocolate, baking supplies for cookies or cake, tea, books, magazines, music, craft supplies, fancy soaps, candles, and seeds to grow flowers are on my list of comforts. Blessings, Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Magazines! I love magazines. Flowers! Lovely list! xxx

      Delete
  6. Wow, we have come to the end of this challenge and I'm so glad that we're ending on comforts! We all need those things that comfort us, especially in times of stress and adversity. Thank you Annabel, for helping us be wise and to look to the future and how to help our families and friends by being prepared. I have concluded the week over on my blog, if anyone is interested.
    https://itsaclassicallife.blogspot.com/2021/09/30-day-preparedness-challenge-week-6.html
    Thanks so much if you have stopped by. I think it's great that we can all support each other during these tough times, and feel less anxious about what may come by knowing that we are prepared.
    Kirsty x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You Annabel!
    This has been such a blessing. I have not been over to the blog for quite a while as I had not been feeling well.💕 I realized in the last few days of reading the posts that this is exactly what I needed
    Wonderful encouragement from like minded people. I made a list of of blogs and phone number and put it in my go bag because I feel like coming over to Blue birds is a treat for my soul. Also chocolate, music, art supplies and a little beautiful jewelry. If I look better I feel better. It is so wonderful to have so many encouragers in one
    spot. Today my scripture is with God all things are possible. Thank you Annabel for spending your precious time doing this series. Thank you lovely ladies for all the ideas. I feel encouraged.
    May God give strength and wisdom.
    Much love
    Patti from San Diego

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annabel and all the beautiful and smart ladies from here. Thank you for all the advice and good ideas -I have learnt a lot from you. It means even more to me to be around like minded people as I am almost alone in my group of people/or at work who thinks frugally or practically. Lucky my husband is thinking like me and we try to raise our 16 years old boy the same inspite of all the tentations, friends and media. So thank you for making me feel like being in a loving familly. I wrote down all 30 days ideas in my notebook and I will keep working on it. My pantry, my garden, my mind is better prepared because of you for the hard times ahead of us. It may be life saver. God bless you all!

      Delete
  8. A favorite at our house and requires no electricity - jigsaw puzzles. The whole family can work on them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel really stupid but I have to ask. I bought the ingredients to make the house cleaner. I note that you explain floors, but on counters does it need to be washed off when you are done, can it be used on wood furniture etc. Thank you in advance for answering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Art supplies - in case I had to sit still for a few weeks, a list of uplifting podcasts or audio books for when I crochet, yes good chocolate and a stash of real butter

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this series, Annabel. It has been really inspiring and I have enjoyed it immensely! I am an avid reader, but during the last couple of years I have found that when times are tough what I really crave is picture books, as I find it difficult to take in what I am reading when my mind is in turmoil, but beautiful pictures seem to work at a much deeper level. Like Heidi, I also enjoy Classic FM, as not only is the music beautiful and calming, but the presenters all have soothing voices too. I like a challenge and tear crosswords and other puzzles out of newspapers and set them aside to take out when needed. One huge comfort is nature in all its forms - a vase of flowers in the house, working outside in the garden or enjoying a favourite walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tracy. I understand your craving for beautiful pictures, and I have the same need. I bought a child's school scrapbook, and went through all the old magazines I could get my hands on. I cut out every image that I found interesting or beautiful, and included ideas I could use as craft inspiration also. I inserted favourite quotes where there was room. Now I am on to my third scrapbook, and so far I find every single page soothing and lovely to look at in my down times. I have not used any special papers or purchased any embellishments. I love escaping to my garden shed and my scrapbooks. Perhaps this might be a project for you?
      Linda in NZ

      Delete
  12. Just found your blog. I live in a tiny 570' sq ft home and have been prepping for myself and my 3 dogs and 1 foster dog. I have to go back thru your posts and read them to get new tips on prepping. A great idea for times such as this. Not sure if you mentioned in any of your posts but sometimes women overlook stocking up on ammunition. I spend more time at the range and am stocking up on ammunition which one can sell at any time or use to barter for other goods if the time comes. Also, don't forget to prep for your dogs/cats. Cant wait to sift thru your blog. Blessings-

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have really enjoyed your 30 days to better preparedness! Thank-you So Much for all your great suggestions and ideas!! I printed them all out to put in a notebook. I want my hubby to read them and I still need to do some of them.
    As far as more comfort ideas, for me, I am trying to stock up on more scrapbook supplies as I still scrapbook the old fashioned way (not digitally). It’s one of my favorite hobbies! I have a photo printer so I already stocked up on ink and photo paper to print my own photos. I really zone out when I’m scrapbooking, so it’s a nice “escape” for me! Kinda like getting lost in a good book!
    Thanks so much again for this series! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a good collection of books and we have records and Cds for music. We have our Bibles and I was just thinking that's one thing I'd want in my emergency pack as I do get a great deal of comfort from my Bible. For me, I'd include pens and paper or notebooks for writing. I like to at journal and one could send out letters and such. I'd also include a coloring book and color pencils. I love the adult coloring books and many a thoughtful hour has been spent coloring in a page. For children crayons and coloring books would be a bonus as well.

    Having a well stocked pantry we can make the treats that would comfort us best. I have a good supply of coffee and tea on hand and that too is a comfort.
    Thank you for taking time to do this and get our brains in gear for thinking of the things we need to do in our own homes to prepare for whatever may come.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts