30 Days to Better Preparedness. Day 19. Addictions.

We have made it to Friday!  This post is one to contemplate.   And this subject will also lead into the next one which is security.  


Thank you to everyone for your comments and contributions all week!   I am hoping to catch up and reply over the weekend when I have no posts to do.  

I think we all have some addictions to varying degrees!   Today I am talking about the ones that are serious, fall apart, cannot manage or function without stuff addictions.  It is hard to be objective and honest about what we might think is something we like and enjoy and know for sure if we would be ok without it!  But lets consider. 

Ahh it is always easier to spot others addictions and those are pretty much impossible to control.  A lot of wisdom is needed on this one.

In any crisis you are dealing with stress and worry.  You will be under mental and physical pressure.  There could not be a worse time to face withdrawals from cigarettes, alcohol or drugs.  Most of these might be perfectly legal.  Legal or not the frantic response people can have to not being able to access what they "need" is awful. 

Since we are seeing shortages or many things, world wide supply issues (and more)  I think if you are seriously preparing then now is the time to put in a full effort to give up an addiction which is going to hinder you.

Since there is a pandemic now is a good time to do all we can for our health too.  Pretty often the benefits of giving up an addiction are many. 

My neighbour from years ago smoked for 32 years.   Then he just gave up seemingly overnight.  I asked him how did he do it!?  He said his doctor helped him prescribing something.  So there is help.   Lots of help is available. 

Another layer here is the cost of many addictions.   This money could be improving your pantry and other areas of your families preparedness! 

Next... quietly consider those around you.   In a crisis you need them to be good in mind and body.  Try and stand back as if your life is a book and imagine the implications of addictions amongst your family and friends in a crisis.   I am not going to make suggestions here,  I want you to think about it.  

Now we have those in our community who in a real crisis are without their "needs."   Things can turn very ugly very fast.  Normal upsets and frustrations are amplified x100 with someone who is drying out, having withdrawals...    People will do basically anything they are so desperate.   

There are always plenty of nut jobs running around at the best of times!  But add in all crisis circumstances which can easily occur and it is a worry.   Quite a surprising amount of people are on prescription drugs too such as Antipsychotic medications through no fault of their own and they also would be in trouble without their medications.   

And so Monday we are going to be talking about security. 

All our preparations will not see us through if we are not strong in mind, body and spirit.  We need to work on these things.  I need to work on these things.xxx



Comments

  1. Dear Annabel, what a thought provoking post. I am on one prescription drug and my husband two. I've been thinking on those. The one we have in common - I was led to believe we would need always but I have found a few people talking about healthful ways to stop needing it. I will study this further. Both my husband and I are addicted to sugar - we are starting to work on this. I look forward to Monday's post. Love Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare,
      It is always good to research alternatives, especially for emergency situations. And if it works for you healthy is much better! Prescriptions are a little different than drug addictions to other things or alcohol addictions. And sugar is a hard one for many of us because sweet is a comfort to us. I wish you well in your healthful journey!
      XOXO
      Vicky

      Delete
  2. This post does make me think! But, I thought you were going to tell me I have to get be up cookies and chocolate! I am so relieved 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      Lol the posts that make us think certainly are some of the best! As long as you have a stash of cookies and chocolate your good, haha unless you have to share then maybe a good hiding place is needed. Do you have one?
      XOXO
      Vicky

      Delete
  3. Great post. Makes me think about coffee! I'm not exactly a caffeine addict, but I would sure miss it if I didn't have enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      Oh I think coffee is a big one. I like to have my coffee and tea. I don't think they would be the hardest habits to break of the many addictions, but we would certainly feel the need for the caffeine for awhile. Do you have a good supply of coffee? If not and your able I would get some extra to have on hand because even if we have to ration it we could still have some coffee at least. I keep extra coffee and tea on hand because I have gotten used to my morning cup.
      XOXO
      Vicky

      Delete
  4. So thought provoking, I have to take anti epileptic tablets, could not manage without them, I have a small stock, it would be a huge worry if I couldn't get any. I am glad you are covering security, I can see how things could get out of hand. Since a break in I am now photographing items, serial numbers and keeping them in a file for insurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Lane,
      That is an important medicine to have to take, have you spoken to your doctor about how you could have extra on hand or what you could do if you couldn't get your medicine at all? Some doctors will give you good advice or alternatives. It is wise you are photographing items and keeping serial numbers it for sure can make claims go faster with good organization. Good job!
      XOXO
      Vicky

      Delete
    2. Susan Lane,
      Sometimes doctors have free samples they can share. That might help a little if they did.
      Hugs,
      Patti

      Delete
  5. Coffee. Ugh. I love it, but get severe headaches without it. As in migraine level, nauseous, stay in bed headaches. I have been gradually cutting back. My goal is to be caffeine free. This post has encouraged me to work a bit more aggressively toward getting completely off my caffeine fix. Thank you!
    Ginger
    I have been following along just haven't done very well at all with commenting daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger,
      If your goal is to be caffeine free and I love my coffee and tea as well you could try cutting back the strength of your coffee and then limit yourself on how many cups you can have until your completely weaned off of it. That helped me greatly when I quit the work force and strong coffee was my go to for everything. I do still drink coffee, but it's not very strong and I don't drink it all day long like I used to.
      XOXO
      Vicky

      Delete
  6. Very interesting and thought-provoking post. I have lived with smokers and alcoholics. I know how fortunate I am that smoking, drinking and drugs never interested me.

    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mikemax,
      It is the same with me. I have many family members including siblings who are alcoholics and smokers or have drug addictions. I have always wondered why they are and I'm not, but I am grateful that I'm not.
      XOXO
      Vicky

      Delete
  7. Really insightful, Annabel.
    xxMary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really insightful, Annabel.
    xxMary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for tackling such a sensitive subject. Gives us all something to ponder.

    Blessings to all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coffee and wine here! My zombie apocalypse cupboard is always well-stocked with these items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FrogDancer,
      Good job on being well stocked! Are they an addiction though or just the comfort items you like to keep on hand?
      XOXO
      Vicky

      Delete
  11. I could live without black tea if I had to, but I'd really rather not!! I loved reading over the posts this week Annabel and once again, have compiled my own list into a blog post:
    https://itsaclassicallife.blogspot.com/2021/09/30-day-preparedness-challenge-week-4.html
    I think that we have done quite a bit to be prepared in the areas of medicine and vehicles (in no small part to your insightful advice and reflections here on the blog!) but as always, there is more to consider. Thank you for keeping us motivated with this challenge and I look forward to seeing what's in store for the coming week!
    Kirsty x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Other than sugar and coffee, we are okay in the addiction category! Thankfully my husband quit smoking this year. But the comments on prescription medicine are very important. We get a 90 day supply of his drugs through the VA but we don’t have extra stashed away. I could foresee that if we were near the end of the 90 days, before refills arrived, we would be at a huge risk. I will need to find a way to address this. Even getting one month set aside would give us breathing room. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts