Feather your Nest Friday, 9th October, 2026.
I was keen to start a fresh new week after the last few. It started well too with a couple in the cabin bringing me an enormous amount of beautiful produce.
As you can see it is lovely!
I began with washing it all up and making a plan. And sharing some too.
Then the next was to use up lemons that were fading fast so I made Lemon Butter. I shared some and I am going to make some deserts (coming up) with the rest.
Then... I freeze dried another load of Parsley.
I had big ideas on sewing and I am up to 14 pot holders but actually only got a couple finished. Two more are cut out.
I started a new pram blanket in chocolate, cream and green. But I got stuck as only certain creams looked right. White was no good, greyish cream looked awful... latte kind of cream looked good. So when I ran out I stopped and started another until I can come back...
There are plenty of pinks and mauves so I started this. As soon as I did between the thrift store and my friend I am back in business with the right creams! Hence I have two pram rugs going.
I also decided to begin card making. I didn't get very far but you get the idea... farm theme... I have lots of images cut out I need to just get some sitting down time.
I ended up with quite a few big and lovely glass jars for free.
And since I am card making I decided I need to have tins to sort my cards out into categories... ie baby, female birthday, male birthday, child birthday, blanket cards and so on. I have some tins I just thought I would watch for a few more.
In the thrift store I found a tin for $5 that I loved. But inside it were two more!
The smallest one I will use for gift tags. This sorting out process will be a next week job.
I like also to make packs of cards and gift tags as gifts since cards are expensive. Wrapped up or in a pretty in they are useful to almost anyone.
I had the boys over. I told them in the car that this week we will be doing lots of work. They both said that was ok they love work. 😊
I was not kidding. I had the little wheelbarrow and two buckets full of weeds and silverbeet. They were not kidding either and off they went.
Tom pushed that load up to the chickens, Chase fed the chickens pellets and grain and Tom collected the eggs.
This was good as several chickens are laying UNDER the nesting boxes where you have to get on the ground and reach under. No problems they thought this was great.
With this accomplished I said now let's fill the empty wheel barrow and bucket with compost. They got there before me and filled up.
I ended up with compost for the veggie garden and some for the next project that we went on to.
We took a break and had a drink and a snack.... then we were on to a Christmas project. Chase was happy to play with water and pebbles.
Tom being older understood the project and we potted up little succulents to grow a bit more before giving them at Christmas.
These succulents we potted up ages ago with this in mind. I also got the pots for free at the swap table.
With certain people in mind there were colour schemes. These are what Tom completed.... they are staying here "in hiding" until Christmas week. I think they are adorable and each one was made with great care!
After last week wonderful rain today rain has returned. My crop of broccoli seeds that came up are broccolini. Tomorrow I am going to begin to pick bunches.
I planted more seedlings and a friend gave me more than a dozen tomato seedlings to add. Very happy with that.
One of my pear trees is so covered in blossoms, beyond any other year I think!
I bought the boys Australian farm story readers for early reading levels. I had asked Tom how his reading was going and he told me he thought he got worse! I asked how do you get worse? lol. But he got off to a pretty good start with farm readers I thought.
So it is just as well that I got so much done early in the week. I directed my anxiety into production. (I forgot to mention I made a pork roast and cut up a lot of veggies from the veggie box to go with it...)
On Wednesday afternoon I was writing when I heard someone was here. I went to the front door and Tom and Chloe were coming up the front ramp. I knew instantly something was wrong.
Tom ran a few steps ahead of Chloe and said "Nana there has been a very bad accident."
I reacted by putting my hands over my head. Chloe caught up as she was carrying the baby. She said yes there has been an accident but everyone is ok.
This was somewhat true. No one was dead. But my three older Grandchildren who were with their other Grandparents in Adelaide (for some of the school holidays) were in a car accident and all three were injured and taken to hospital in ambulances.
Mum had got this message just before me and sent Chloe to my place.
I really have no words other than to try not to have a panic attack or vomit.
Sidney was the most hurt with concussion and a head injury. They all had shock and more minor injuries.
They all were released from hospital in ten hours or so.
Last week we were talking about angels. And my constant prayers for their protection. It is amazing and incredible all of them are ok. This day could have been much different. I ended up on my knees saying thank you, thank you, thank you.
I was not very functional really and my poor Mum was beside herself.
Then I have a mental gap but I know that yesterday I knew I had to go to town today, go to Mass and it was kind of a re run of last week. I arrived shattered and shaky. The Priest and my friends there embraced me, prayed and were so kind. I felt wrapped in support. I know I am being prayed for even now.
The good news is tonight the children are home. My loved ones surgery is healing very well! Everyone is now home in their own beds. It is raining doing the watering for me. Everyone being in their own beds includes me who is typing laying down. I will pick which blanket to work on and calm myself.
I decided, driving home, that anxiety and actually freaking out is not a sign of lack of faith. Jesus wept and lamented and was heartbroken. He also had a lot of other emotions, clearly, anger, disappointment, disgust, needing time alone... When my anxiety turns to panic mostly I get back on track and once again go back to doing the next thing. I also make hot packs and a cup of tea and go to bed and don't answer the door even. I have gone between the two methods multi times in one day.
Thank you all for your wonderful friendship and support. We have kept going together through many things.xxx



Comments
Post a Comment