Feather your Nest Friday, 4th September, 2026.
Voila! I can add my photos!
For the last several weeks I've had trouble with uploading photos. Tonight I just can't get them to work at all. I think I need professional help. So rather than post nothing I am posting my report and if you would like to see photos then I will post them on our Tuesday Afternoon Club page here. When/if I get this problem solved I will come back here and add the photos in.
So it is Spring! We had both sunshine and rain! Right now a storm is coming in!
With getting to the end of the #everybitcountschallenge I decided (something I already know really...) challenges do me good. So I switched over to September being an every day do something towards my Spring and Summer veggie garden challenge. I began to clear out a raised bed and feed the weeds to the chooks. I planted two tomatoes and six capsicums. I relocated some broccoli. With a re arrange thanks to my helpers the three big metal containers are now in the back yard and also full of compost. Sooo good having a massive compost pile! These hold a lot of soil. I will be able to grow pretty well anything in them. Now having the troughs set up ready for the pumpkins I am increasing my space.
I said last week my whole massive parsley planter was decimated. The whole point of having my food garden inside a fence is because I have deer, wallaby, kangaroo, rabbits... so I thought maybe a rat or a possum. On further inspection whatever it was it likes Parsley the best as throughout the garden all the parsley was gone.
On Wednesday I was planing out the tomatoes and capsicums and I saw something HOP between my planter boxes. Then I saw it again. It was a rabbit! Just a small one. I opened the back gate and with the hose sprinkling I moved it along from behind one pot to another until it went out the gate. I thought this is a very Beatrix Potter style story. The back gate I admit has been left open on and off and this would be my problem. Now I hope this is solved, there are no others and I can be more diligent keeping the gate shut. The damage one bunny can do is mind-blowing. My pumpkin patch also has fencing around it because one year my pumpkins were going so well and then they just stopped. I soon figured out as soon as they reached the fence bunnies were trimming them. So whatever I do it must be enclosed. It is lucky I don't give up easily.
Saying this last year there were no apples due to a woolly aphid infestation which I didn't notice until too late. We have pruned the tree, sprayed it repeatedly with soapy water and now there are buds. I am not sure who will win, the aphids or us, but we have tried to save this tree.
I completed the lilacs pram blanket. I really enjoyed these colours. Mum made a hat to go with the other two pram rugs, greens and yellows and creams and pinks. Now they are sets. They look absolutely beautiful.
I also edged a beautiful piece of wool blanketing with a crochet border. It is in greens and quite plain but I love it. Next I will do a piece of pink blanketing and a frilly crochet edge and I can't wait.
So... I have been adding a fair it to the present cupboard.
Last night I reviewed the wool I have left. I have enough pink, creams and lilacs to do an actual single bed blanket. My foundations rows and complete and so I will be off and running with that later tonight.
There is thunder now... so you tube, crochet and thunder and lightening might be quite a lovely Friday night.
Tom and Chase came and the main thing they wanted to do was make honey crackles. So we did that and then they were involved in the tracer moving in my big planter drums and other outdoor projects.
I made Mummy a dinner for that night and the boys made desert so that was a good plan!
I made a quiche which gave me two dinners and a lunch.
My cook up was pork apples and roast veggies.
Because it doesn't snow here and if I grow things close to the house frost doesn't affect them I can grow greens all year. My silverbeet and celery patches are beautiful!
I cooked a whole bag of rice (1 kilo) and when it was cool I bagged it into single serving sizes. I got 20 bags to freeze. I hate cooking one serving of rice to the extend I often just skip it. Now I can just grab one serving from the freezer.
In the thrift store I got three balls of pure wool and my friend gave me some beautiful cotton fabrics!
The twins are doing really well and fat. They are now on two bottles a day and I spy on the eating the grass. If they see me though it's all over as they run to me hoping for another bottle!!
I hope I can sort my photo problems out. It is very frustrating. There were many blessings for the week and I hope the same for you. Please... we would love to hear!xxx
Dear Annabel, it’s hard when the photos don’t work! You have had a big week. I’d love to see your wooden blankets that are edged, what a great idea. I’m so impressed with how much produce you have had and all through Winter too! I love how the children wanted to make honey crackles and then they got to play. This is lovely. And I loved last week’s story about the bird with Sparkie. Our dog is the same, sometime he chases at one or two and barks to show off and then others he shares his dog bowl with. They are cute to watch. You have done some fabulous cook ups this week. I plan on making sausage rolls and I made a big zucchini slice this week. I’ll also make some little cakes. Lots of love, Bridget
ReplyDeleteDear Bridge, Thank you! At first one comments worked either! Oh boy! I was so glad to see yours come though. I haven't been able to fix this so I am going to an IT shop Friday, I mad an appointment. A zucchini slice is delicious! Little cakes are always a hit with basically everyone. So are sausage rolls! I am working on produce that needs using which currently is potatoes... and Ive learned some new things with preserving them! I am guilty of wasting many spuds in the past! Have a good week! With love Annabel.xxx
DeleteDear Annabel,
ReplyDeleteHow frustrating about the photos, I hope you can get it sorted. I don’t know much about computers but my young adult children have taught me if I am having issues with anything to try another browser and it often works! So that might be a help…or not LOL
I like the idea of your September challenge, do a little something everyday in and for the veggie garden! I’ve been longing to get back into the garden for weeks but I have been very busy. I did manage to prune and feed my big orange tree last week and I was relieved to get it done as it is flowering now and I don’t like to go near it while those precious little blossoms are forming.
I’m glad you found your parsley culprit!
Have a lovely week
From Cheryl 🪺
Dear Cheryl, I am still having trouble and got myself an appointment in town at the computer shop. I really hope they can figure it out. Nothing smells more beautiful than orange blossom! I know you were extra busy with the full weeks work...I have stuck to something each day in the veggie garden... even five minutes and it's working! Except I think I still have a rabbit and the first one had a friend. A pot of spinach is flat... he is sleeping there and it is covered in rabbit poo. So it's the most fertilised pot I have lol. I went out with the touch just now spotlighting mode... but didnt see anything. I left the gate open this time for a few hours to try and let him out... hoping I dint just let more in! Despite this Ive still made some progress and have some beds ready to plant. Have a good week! With love Annabel.xxx
DeleteI am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with posting it’s a. shame you could not attach your photo. I miss the photos of your grandchildren. We have also had broadband problems some thieves have stolen the cables to the exchange, we were lucky we only had 2 days without a connection some people have not got there’s back yet.
ReplyDeleteA slow week this week with a lot of medical appointments. I have picked the last of the beans. I am picking tomatoes, peppers and late raspberries, I don’t think we will get apples as they have slowly dropped their fruit because of the drought. I have been planting seeds to over winter in the greenhouse , it’s always a bit of a gamble but worth it a try.
I have made 2 batches of blackberry and. 2 batches of plum jam, the last batch caught the bottom of the saucepan, its going to be a long job to get it clean.
Next week I will not get much done as we are up in London at the hospital. A long journey which means we will have to get up at 5.30 hubby will be exhausted and I think I will be rather tired too.
Stay safe
Chris
Dear Chris, Your plum and blackberry jam sound just beautiful. I am sorry about the medical appointments and also the hospital visit. The drought is awful. I missed getting apples in Autumn because of an infestation and was so sad about it. I hope your seeds in the greenhouse are a success.
DeleteAll the best for this hospital visit and safe trip.
I hope I can add the photos. I have an appointment for help on Friday. With much love Annabel.xxx
For some reason everyone in the blogosphere is having issues. I hope it all gets worked out soon. I just love your blog. Can't wait to see pictures when it is all fixed! Or on the other blog!
ReplyDeleteDear Barbara, Thank you so much! And thank you for telling me that! It is not my computer as I have a second computer and an iPad and none of them will let me post the photos... so maybe it is blogger and not me. But I am seeking help. With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteFor some reason everyone is having some sort of issue on their blogs this week. I hope it all gets sorted! I am going to make your crackles today! I am excited about that! lolol
ReplyDeleteYour week was super productive and good! I'm so impressed by how much you get done each week! It's encouraging me to get busy!
ReplyDeleteI expect to be down for a few days after an upcoming surgery. So this past week I filled my freezer with meals for myself and family! I also spent time sewing. I'm trying to figure out how to participate in "every bit counts" without having the ability to preserve right now. I'm thinking I need to make headway on my sewing basket! Maybe that's my "every bit"? It counts!
Blessings to you and the Bluebirds!
Stacy in Virginia
Dear Stacy, You are wise to prepare meals ahead. I hope your surgery goes well. Yes I think you could make it a sewing challenge or any other suitable challenge you can do as you recover. That would be nice and make recovery time much happier. All the best with this! With love Annabel.xxx
DeleteYour blankets and the hats are so lovely. I just came in after finding my bunny got my green bean plants. I had hoped after the summer here the bunny may have moved on. I am going to have to put a net cover and replant. All my broccoli and cabbage I started look dead. I need to find some starts at the nursery. I bet the bunny is going to eat these too, though.
ReplyDeleteI cleaned out my 3 freezers and with what i have canned I have enough. I am going to spend the rest if the year eating this and not adding too much to my pantry. I have a few things I like fresh and want chicken that I freeze for grilling. I am doing the same with my fall garden, something each day.
Annabel I just love your blog - new commentator, long time reader here in Victoria Australia. You are such a positive person it makes reading your blog a pleasure - especially in these challenging times. I get quite a lot of inspiration from here, from everybody. I love my home, my small vegie garden and doing my very best to make good use of everything that God sends my way, including preserving and freezing. I definitely have a use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without mentality. A question I hope you can help with please, would you have the pattern for those beautiful beanies your lovely mother knits - I love to knit, but arthritis prevents large jobs, and I knit pure wool beanies for a charity that helps mothers and babies/children that are struggling to have the necessities - they have to actually be referred to this service by maternal nurses or health professionals, and those beanies your mother knits appear the perfect size. Thank you Annabel for all you do for us - forgot to say I haunt op shops in search of the wool - what fun this is, and what treasures can be had!!.
ReplyDeleteDear Annabel
ReplyDeleteI’m glad you got the photos up so we can enjoy all the beautiful crochet and the happy cooks.
Another productive week!
Kate