Feather your Nest Friday, 28th August, 2026.
This week it seems a month (at least) since last Friday! We only have three days of winter left and I am sad to see it go because I have loved the cosy nights, cooking, sewing, crochet and things I've kept busy with. And for the first winter ever I had produce continue to come in all the way through.
Last Saturday I was tired and slept in. I got up and made a cup of tea and went back to bed. I was feeling a bit gloomy to be honest. Then the dogs started barking and I knew someone was coming. I grabbed my dressing gown and brushed my hair and that is as far as I got when there was a knock at the door. The farmer who uses some of my land was there and he asked me if I would like twins. I knew he meant twin lambs. I have trained myself to always say yes then figure it out later. So I said YES! He grinned and went back to the ute and returned with one under each arm. They were in good condition and maybe 3 or 4 days old. So they had colostrum and feeds which is a huge advantage.
Thanks to my animal pantry I had bottles, teats and formula. I said thank you so much and got cracking!
Isn't God good. I love twins. I am always wishing for twins! They are a boy and a girl! Even better. A week ago I was in the orchard noticing the high thick and green grass and thinking oh boy I wish I had lambs or a calf to be eating all of this feed! That would be perfect! And just like that now I do.
For the first feed I tied a ribbon around the neck of one lamb so I did not feed it twice. They both drank a bottle right away with no battle. Easy! This is when I realised one was a girl and one was a boy so I could keep track.
I kept them in my back porch area until my helper was here and he moved a good lock up shelter into the orchard for me.
The first day outside I put them in a little triangle paddock near the house. I had not had them for 24 hours. Well they escaped within 15 minutes and were looking in the back door crying. Now since I only just got them it is amazing that they know where I live and which door I go in and out. If the door had been open they would have come in.
Anyway.... the orchard has a better fence and Andy had put this door on an old water tank to make a good animal shelter so we started again!
This exactly did the trick. During the day they run around and sit in the sun but at night I lock them safely away.
I am keeping this basket and sharing the rest.
Chloe picked her Parsley and I freeze dried it for her.
Today the boys came over and we worked on a big construction project. They also fed the lambs and Tom just wanted to play with them. I said to go ahead and open the gate and play. So the kids, the lambs and the dogs were running around the lawn laughing and leaping in the sunshine.
My bake up was two trays of tomatoes and capsicums (from the freezer) and meatballs.
And I cooked up a heap of beef and onions then made up trays of veggies. Chloe's family got a huge meal and I got three.
I made two date loaves and froze most.

Dear Annabel,
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely surprise to have the twin lambs arrive, they are super cute and how fortunate that your animal pantry meant you already had everything you needed. I can just imagine them finding their way back to your door after escaping!
I really felt your pain over the parsley too. I would have been kicking myself for admiring it instead of picking it when it was ready! It’s such a good reminder that sometimes we just need to harvest things when the opportunity is there.
The pram rug is beautiful, and you’ve certainly made good use of these cosy winter weeks with all your crochet and sewing. Have a lovely weekend xox
Thanks Stephanie. Losing something is a good reminder really. I need to try and figure who is the culprit too before I get the Spring things in! It is such a beautiful day here. Like perfection! I know you know this but working on crochet with colours you love and a project you like is soo much fun! I lost my mo jo for a while but now Im on a roll! I dont think I am up to the patterns you do though! xxx
DeleteAnnabel, what a lovely week you have had, new babies on the farm. The grandchildren had to just love playing with the lambs. I love how everything looks so good after freeze drying. It is wonderful that produce keeps coming in.
ReplyDeleteI had a wonderful, slow beginning to my week, my husband worked for 3 days, I decided it was vacation time for me. I needed downtime. It was refreshing, of course I still did the usual housework, though no deep cleaning.
I crocheted hot pads, wash cloths and facial scrubbies. I made caramel syrup from the whey I had left from making ricotta cheese. The waste not, want no mentality my parents instilled in me.
My husband stopped into the grocery store while I was in PT this week to pick up the loss leaders. He mentioned there were holes of missing items on shelves, no mark downs in bakery or the meat department. He said the produce looked sickly. I wish I had gone to take pictures.
We are continuing to do home improvements & repairs before winter sets in here. We know it is going to be a rough one as every bug is trying to get into the house, husband has caulked, though we will need to recheck areas. The deer and turkey are now visiting 3 times a day looking for food.
We are continuing to get our house in order and ready for the coming season. I am using what we have instead of buying, unless we find a good sale. We have tried to fill holes in our pantries. It is so important in this time.
My prayers are with all Bluebirds.
Dear Rosanne, Thank you! It is lovely to see the deer and turkeys! You did very well with all you made! Planning for the new season is good. For me the weather just now is very Spring like and I am planning my garden, garden beds, what to lanterns and where... I hope to grow more than I ever have before. I hope you have a lovely weekend! With love Annabel.xxx
DeleteDear Annabel, the smiling lambs look perfectly happy. Like the kids and the dogs! I imagine the laughing and playing together - pure Heaven!
ReplyDeleteYour blankets look beautiful. Great Work!
All your produce you put away is amazing. Winter for me means freezing temperatures, gardens covered by snow, and eating from the pantry.
Autumn is around in our area. We received a modest amount of rain, but the temperate change was the most noticeable aspect, with nighttime being a bit chilly. It's been three and a half months now with rainfall well below average and very high temperatures. This is the driest growing season we've dealt with. Everything is yellow or burnt, the chickens lay eggs now and then (I think they start molting, too) and this year's harvest won't be bountiful.
We're taking inventory, organizing storage and restocking. It's reassuring to know that we have some carry over from the previous season.
I harvested all the potatoes, and almost all the green beans and cucumbers and in place I sowed lettuce and radishes for the fall garden. At the end of September I will plant garlic.
Tomatoes did well, though, and my son has two sandwiches every day for work with cherry tomatoes from the container garden. Those breakfast sandwiches cost a lot and he saves money not ordering takeouts like the rest of his coleagues. I am proud of him.
The news around the russian war is not good. Maybe you have heard about the *secret* visit of CIA chief to Moscow, warning them not to attack NATO countries. Romania is under russian drones almost dailly, some with explosives, too. The Black Sea is bombed by russia. The events are getting hoter. Pray, get prepared as best as you can and try to live as beautifully and with kindness as you can.
Create a little extra margin. Food in storage, money set aside, an extra blanket, or simply some unscheduled time can make unexpected changes much easier to handle. And enjoy all the little things. (My work mate said to me today during lunch break: You do everything with passion, even drinking a cup of water! ) I liked that and took it as a nice compliment.
My big news - Today we have finished ALL the papers at the notary for the house and all the garden and vineyard around. It is not big but it is ours in full - everything paid off and free of charge. God is good.
Sending all my love out there for all the Bluebirds around the world.
Laura_s_world from Romania
Dear Laura, Thank you so much! I did follow all I could these US trips to Russia and what they said. One also was about not doing business with Iran. What was said in the press conference was so interesting I listened to it several times. Then also as you say about Russia not attacking UK bases etc. I feel we are on a knife edge. Even at the distance I am it is a feeling of a knife edge... and you are so close with it going on around you. I think of you every day in this.
DeleteI hope now you will be past the heat and dry season. I know this was very wide and many crops would have been terrible.
Your son is smart! He is eating well and saving a lot!
It is good the way you explain to make a margin. An extra blanket, an extra savings and go though all the areas you can. Yes and to enjoy all the little things! I feel this way with a cup of tea or a little sit in the sunshine, so many little lovely things. I am glad and aware that I am happy over smiling lambs in the sunshine and children running around the lawn as I know many people do not find joy in this beauty. They dont seem to find joy in anything and have to do bigger and bigger things seeking happiness. So contentment is a beautiful gift! (That surpasses all understanding!)
Very good on all things being paid, you are ahead and that is great! With very much love Annabel.xxx
Laura, such good news about the house being paid off! It is such a wonderful, safe feeling. It makes all of your hard work worth it. Prayers for you and others in countries that Putin covets.
DeleteAnnabel, such cute pictures of the lambies and your grandchildren. My fave is the one of Tom driving the riding mower with his brother and sister in the trailer.
My guy and I sometimes meet in a town between where we both live and we did this last week. On my way home, I stopped and visited a couple that Dennis introduced me to about a year ago. The wife is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and it is progressing rapidly. They live on a few acres and have chickens, pigs and a huge garden. Rick, the husband, cans and freezes the produce. I took them a big box of canning jars and the pressure canner I inherited from my mother-in-law. This was hard for me but I've realized my canning days are over and these needed to be used. Dennis contributed his late wife's jars, too.
Annabel, your potatoes remind me of the beautiful red potatoes Rick just harvested. We had them mashed for dinner last night and fried for breakfast this morning. Yes, he cooks too! What a guy!!
Best wishes to all of the bluebirds. Keep feathering your nests!
--Maxine
PS Dennis brought me some antique coffee jars, the kind ground coffee used to come in, for storing my dry foods such as rice, oatmeal, etc. Probably 90-100 years old since they pre-date me. Very cool!
Dennis is diabetic and I made him a cherry pie, substituting monkfruit for all of the sugar. Delicious, and no aftertaste.
DeleteOh the lambs are so cute. Do you have any other sheep?
ReplyDeleteWe have had rain, not a lot but after 58 dry days I am celebrating..
I picked 2kg of wild blackberries there are plenty left on the brambles, but I am out of freezer space, maybe I’ll can some or jam them to make more space. Then I thought what would Annabel do and went and picked 600gm more and made the jam that evening.
I made sauerkraut, yoghurt, mincemeat and 50 fairy cake.I shall make plum jam tomorrow I trimmed hazel bushes, the hazel nuts fell off because of the heat. I am still picking french beans, tomatoes and autumn raspberries and beetroot still to harvest.
I have cut some of the hedges but really need 3 large bushes out to enable the movement of the lathes into the garage ,from where I hope we can sell them. The local tree surgeon hasn’t been seen for a few weeks. My rosemary may need to come out too. So I’m going to dry a lot using the footwell of the car. It will smell lovely.
Chris, currently no but I have had sheep at times. At the moment I just have cows and chickens and ducks etc. Im so glad you got some rain!
DeleteI was reading your comment and thinking what you better go back and pick more... then I get to the next bit and you did! Heck yes I would make little jars of jam and use them as Christmas presents and the pantry of course. How beautiful! Also Id eat them every day as yum!
I just love all you made especially the fairy cakes!! Oh I hope the rosemary can stay! Maybe it could be cut back but not removed? Yes it smells amazing. It's lovely you are still getting great garden produce! A very good week! With love Annabel.xxx
Aren't animals so smart and funny? Those lamb babies know who is caring for them, and Sparkie and the bird have a "frenemy" relationship! Too cute.
ReplyDeleteKathy they are way smarter than we think! I am often amazed what they know, what they learn and ideas they get! Sparkie is outside now as it is sunny and glorious hanging out with her bird. haha Have a lovely weekend!xxx
DeleteThose lambs!! Tom reminds me of Dickon in “The Secret Garden”!!
ReplyDeleteHi Annabel
ReplyDeleteOh those lambs! Their dear little faces are so sweet. It made me happy to think of lambs, dogs and children playing and having fun on the lawn.
Your store cupboard must be a sight to behold, everything keeps its colour so well when freeze dried.
This week I made a batch of reduced sugar cranberry and oatmeal cookies. I froze bags of tomatoes for the winter.
Our garden gave us tomatoes, celery, garlic, aubergine, potatoes,cucumber, courgettes, green peppers and mint. We gave a big box of veg to a daughter. I picked flowers for the house and took courgettes to a friend.
A client gave us runner beans. I love our community economy.
We bought a pedal tractor for our grand daughter on Facebook Marketplace at a good price, these are very expensive new.
My husband suggested I buy a couple of roasting joints to have in the freezer for the colder weather and I bought some other cuts too.
I've put together a little cold/wet weather kit to keep in my car. We had everything at home , I just needed to gather it all together.
I sorted through the coat hangers and pulled out lots of wire hangers which were surplus. I looked on YouTube for how to turn them into plant supports for the garden and had a go, it turned out quite well so I will make more and put them in the potting shed for next spring.
For the first time in years I made a supermarket online order to be delivered to home. This was mainly bulk items like toilet rolls, bulk coffee etc. I am trying to conserve my energy and stay home to feather our nest a la Bluebirds and the cost of delivery was only £2. We live a long way from the shop and my husband said the cost of fuel for the car would be more than that so I will do this again.
I am compiling a list of TV programmes/ YouTube channels I will enjoy watching in the dark winter nights. There is so much vulgarity on TV it's worth taking note of things I will enjoy or friends have recommended and saving them for cosy evenings.
Best wishes to Bluebirds around the world.
Penny in the UK
Annabelle I just have to say how very much I love your weekly posts. They are a lovely reminder that there are still pockets of beauty in the midst of much darkness. You are a great photographer! Seeing your grandchildren playing with the animals brings a smile to my face every time. 😊. My youngest grandchild is nine years old. The other day he washed the family car and at one point his dad came out to check on the progress and Micaiah announced that he was just ready to do the “grand finale” which he said was to rinse it.
ReplyDeleteI’m sure many of us wish we could drop by for tea or have you come to our home for a chat. I am in South Carolina USA but we have traveled through AU a couple times on our way to visit our missionary daughter in the mountains of PNG. She is associated with Gospel Fellowship Association here in Greenville. We are so proud of her. 😊. Well, Annabelle, thank you again for your beautiful weekly posts. With love, Vicky
Always enjoy your Friday letters. You accomplish so much. Love the lambs and what a blessing to receive them and produce. Wonderful for the grandkids to have the experience of lambs..
ReplyDelete..............Nancy
Oh I’m sorry as I think about it my post was probably too personal so please edit as you think is appropriate. I was rambling.
ReplyDeleteThe photos are especially beautiful this week. Thank you for sharing! I don’t know how you accomplish so much! I am a sloth, by comparison.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely week. You were so productive and busy. I love reading your blog and seeing how you live your life with gratitude, love and work.
ReplyDeleteWhat adorable photos!!! I love the little lambs and the children. God really blesses you! I love to see what all you’ve been working on. You’re such an inspiration. Thank you for your blog. I truly enjoy it. 😊 Sue in NC, USA
ReplyDeleteDear Annabel, Yet another delicious post of yours, I could pass out with the cuteness of your twin lambs with the ribbons. The kids would have loved playing with them so much. The last few days here have been glorious sunshine too. The farmer next door to us sowed a huge crop of canola - it is out in its bright yellow flowers (and despite it being a bit stinky smelling at times) we love looking out at it. Our little crop of Vetch is growing well. My husband was most happy to get a hay mower in good condition to cut it - for the cheap price of a box of beer! He thinks we will get a good lot of small hay bales cut from it and has arranged to borrow a baler. I am still waiting on my surgery but forging ahead with my to do list and feeling better and better as I get things done. I cannot believe how long it is taking me to get through my paperwork and am in the final push to finish before I cannot burn anything outside. I got up early this morning to wash our bedding. I vacuumed our mattresses and am airing them out. Spring is in the air! Love Clare
ReplyDeleteAnnabelle, your lamb photos are so sweet! As always, your post has inspired me to do something to feather my nest. This past week I can’t 7 quart of spaghetti sauce of which I will share with my adult children. I was also able to find chicken legs for $.99 a pound US of which I froze in gallon bags with a marinade so they will be fast and easy meals in the future. I also found lemons on sale so I bought 10 and will juice and freeze and peel and dry and put through the blender so I will have dried lemon peel for recipes. Thank you again for your inspiration. I wish all the bluebirds around the world a lovely upcoming week. Marley in the Mountains
ReplyDelete