I've had trouble with loading photos tonight and nearly gave up! Fighting with a computer is so frustrating! But I think at last I have it figured out!
It was a really busy day!
I finished Lily's blanket and was able to give it to her. It is truly Lily's colours.
I think a good border mades a blanket and it felt like it took 900 years to do one lap around the outside! But I love how it turned out.
I continued working on oranges and lemons. Plenty of fresh orange juice shared around.
I also did a batch of orange cordial concentrate which I froze in cups. One cup will go to one litre of water in summer.
I like this a lot as there is no citric acid. Just fruit and sugar.
Then I did lemon...
Once they were frozen I labelled them and they went into the fruit freezer.
I know other countries have been through this but now it is bird flu here. It is pretty inevitable I think that there will be egg shortages or terrible prices. Or both. So I have hatched an egg plan. 😊
I froze this dozen. If you will want them for cakes etc you stir them with a pinch of sugar. For savoury a pinch of salt. I did these with sugar. This helps them thaw better and mix better.
I will show how they turn out.
I have been using a lot of small containers to freeze up small portions of all kinds of things for the #everybitcountschallenge. This week I collected together (and added some more) good portion freezing containers. I found some at the op shop too! It becomes like food lego... ie a portion of potato or rice, a portion of another veggie and portion of casserole/curry or whatever and it adds up to a good meal.
Also... Stephanie has shared how her husband cooks up a heap of eggs and bacon on the BBQ then makes up "McMuffins" to freeze. Mum used to do this.... and you can microwave them or thaw and put in the sandwich press. Sooo.... I decided I am going to make them up for my Grandkids. Sidney LOVES a brioche egg and bacon roll.
When I went to get the rolls the price was not too great and I walked on a bit further and all of these were half price!
Stephanie added that cooking the eggs in the pie maker means they are perfectly round! So this is on my next project list.
I have only had success one year here with pumpkins. It was in a spot near the driveway in a big pile of fresh compost. I grew a whole wheelbarrow full! But the next year they failed. Dad told me why. The gum tree roots had headed up into my good compost.
I have failed ever since. But I really want to try again. So... today.... an old trough plus an old bath tub were moved into this little patch.... It is important because this area has a rabbit proof fence and a tap. And it is really near the house which helps.
I have a huge rich compost heap. Filling these up is next. Plus chook manure. Plus anything else I can lay my hands on to make it as good as possible.
There was also a dead tree to be pushed over and then... a termites nest to get rid of. It was like out of a Road Runner video... involving fuel, flame and a plan to blow them up. What could possibly go wrong? Don't worry the boys and me were at a great distance. Tom thought it would blow up and we would all be covered in toasted white ants. With the tractor action and fire and cutting up wood they had a great time.
Sadly the fire failed to deliver an actual explosion but it did become pretty hot and burned a long time. This is winning as other solutions would involve chemicals and I am not a fan.
My cook up for the week was cherry tomatoes, capsicums and meatballs. I also made a couple of tea loaves. Recipes without butter are a good idea given the price. I will write up this recipe when I get it converted to cups instead of grams.
In the op shop, and with the help of my friend, I got a big ball of Bendigo Woollen Mills wool... and several others, all pure wool.
This is good because I started a boys pram rug in greens. Last week I found two balls of a golden yellow wool. I bought it because it was beautiful quality. Normally I would not be keen on these colours but I have had boy blankets grow on me now and I am loving it!
Finally men were using the cabin. They came with homemade sour dough loaves and veggies.
You know I got to work on washing things up and the next few days I have lots to do. They will help my #everybitcountschallenge along.
We had rain.... mostly gentle drizzle but it's adding up! Just like with our work - little bits add up to a lot!
Yesterday Mum came with me to town. She had an appointment then we went to lunch and the supermarket. It was a really good time. I followed Mum's method and came home and made a loaf of bread into ready to toast turkey, cheese and cranberry sandwiches and frozen them. After eating one for dinner actually. As Mum said there is nothing wrong with a toastie or an egg on toast or a crumpet for dinner. Every meal doesn't have to be a Masterchef audition. I have a friend who can make a meal out of pretty much nothing. She will think she has a tomato. And she had eggs. So a tomato omelette with some garden parsley it is then! And it will be delicious!
I hope you had a week of building up your home and god things. xxx
Oh I just love your blanket so pretty. It's late Friday afternoon here in England another roasting hot day, thankfully I just have 1000 litres left on the land to keep watering trees etc, it's so very dry crops failing, fruit just falling off my trees now too early to pick, but at least animals and birds are getting something, I did manage to save some early cooking apple's. Need to save more water for next year.
ReplyDeleteWhat fruit I have I'm preserving and thankfully have a lot in freezer that needs making into jam etc, once it cools I shall be organising that and sorting out freezers.
Got my wood in and thankfully hay two months ago for our goats. Field down now incase of fire.
After loosing my husband to cancer in April it's such a difficult time, but the work doesn't stop, and I feel the need to be ready more than ever, I seem to be finding the strength God gives to keep going.
Love the colours of your boys blanket, I have a few 'attic 24'blankets I will be tackling this winter, at the minute I'm knitting myself some warm clothes for winter, it is helping me keep busy when it's too hot. Sue
Dear Sue, I am so sorry that you lost your husband to cancer. You are amazing and very inspiring in how you are continuing to work on the farm and in being productive. Thank you for sharing. Lots of love, Bridget
DeleteDear Sue, I wish you could home and have a cup of tea with me. You probably know I lost my husband suddenly a couple of years ago. You are in the early stages... I am really sorry for your loss. I am hearing so much about terrible conditions, crops, water issues, heat issues... everything... in England and Europe. I think you are right... both with by the Grace of God you keep going and you are hearing that nudge to do more than ever. I feel it too. All around it is one crisis after another. I hope there is some fruit to save and your water gets you through. With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteLove your blog! And your afghan is so pretty! But could you please post your tea cake recipe, even if it is in grams, etc. We can look online and figure out how to change grams into cups, etc. It looks so tasty and a good autumn thing to have for breakfast!
ReplyDeleteYes please Annabel. Ditto Thank you..
DeleteOk coming up! I will make it again in about a week and include the grams and details and variations. I do think its got breakfast potential too!
DeleteWhat a bountiful week you've had! The blanket is perfect for your sweet granddaughter! And those frozen cordials! It's a great idea!
ReplyDeleteMy week has been mostly productive in the sewing room. I'm still recovering to some degree although I'm able to keep dishes and laundry done now! I found that I'm able to sit and sew. That keeps me busy most days! I sewed part of a quilt, an apron, and a stuffed bunny rabbit! Every little bit counts in the sewing room too! :)
Bless you and the Bluebirds!
Stacy in Virginia
Dear Stacy, Being ale to sit and sew will make you feel much better and happier. And getting the household basics done, well done there. I love all you are making!! Yes absolutely I think everything made counts, every addition to supply's, ever addition to the gift cupboard and even every item mended or created counts. It's making supplies into something useful/beautiful and also very satisfying! Have a good new week! With love Annabel.xxx
DeleteEVERYTHING has breakfast potential, Annabel, just like breakfast has potential for any meal of the day! I had apple pie for breakfast. It has flour, fat, sugar and apples...just in case anyone wonders if there is any nutrition whatsoever. LOL Pumpkin pie is very nutritious when you consider it has also has eggs, milk and a veggie!
Delete--Maxine
BEAUTIFUL blanket, Annabel!! And your granddaughter looks very happy with it. :) It's busy garden season right now, as well as the usual outside repairs and maintenance that come with the summer season. Already the light is changing, though...can you believe it's already halfway thru August???
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful weekend, Annabel, and all Bluebirds!
xx Jen in NS
Dear Jen, We too are noticing some signs of the change of seasons coming. There are some blossoms out. You wouldn't know it today as it's bleak but more and more flowers are appearing... for in our case Spring next month.
DeleteTo me this year has flown by and I am hanging on to what is left of August! With much love Annabel.xxx
Annabel, & Bluebirds,
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing week you have had. The produce you received as a trade looks so fresh. The pumpkin containers are going to be overflowing with pumpkins this coming season. So happy for you.
Sunday here we went to Sam's Club and our grocery store, we stopped at a Plaza I asked husband to stop at to look for Elderberries. We were able to pick 30+ pounds. I didn't feel like sitting and trying to get the berries off the stems, so I opted to steam juice them. I ended up with 4 quarts and 9 - 24 oz jars of elderberry juice. It took 2 days to finish. Then the bottom half of my kitchen needed a good deep cleaning and polishing.
I started work organizing my craft room/library, Lets say only 6 feet in is completed. I organized my crocheted bath and kitchen sets I made for gifts, my embroidery floss, that alone took 3 cases and 2 totes for the gifts.
Somehow I fit in the usual housework and shopping the stores for sales.
Awnings are being installed on two sides of our sunroom, so I decided cookies were in order for the workers, I made coconut macaroons with chocolate ganache and oatmeal raisin cookies. I used up the egg whites from make a key lime pie last week and then the last of the raisins in a canister. The men were happy, one said he was a very picky eater, then devoured the cookies.
I have bread baking in the oven, using the whey from the ricotta cheese I made last week. Hoping it come out well as it is a no=knead recipe.
All in all it has been a busy week here.
Prayers for all Bluebirds.
Dear Rosanne, Picking 30 lbs of Elderberries is the stuff of dreams to me! And you got it all put to good use too! How good!
DeleteThe workers would really appreciate your kindness. You achieved a lot! I hope this week is good for you also! With love Annabel.xxx
Beautiful blanket! Those will be so treasured throughout their lives. We are on a super-tight budget right now and had a tear in our only sheets that will fit our bed. I sent hubby to the store to buy a new fitted sheet and when he called with the price I was flabbergasted! Of just one fitted sheet! So, I thought, "What would Caroline Ingalls have done?" I got the sheet and got to thinking on how to repair it. I did it, washed it (was somewhat surprised my stitches held up in the washing), and have it back on the bed. After I got done I actually thought, "I bet Annabelle would be proud of me." :) Thank you for your inspiration each week.
ReplyDeleteI am proud of you! Yes good linens are very expensive now! I only like cotton... and even on sales they are fairly pricy. I do watch the sales and I often give good linen to the girls for Christmas or birthdays as in Australia it is several hundred dollars for a good set! You did well! Five stars I say! xxx
DeleteLily looks so happy with her blanket! It’s beautiful Annabel, that’s three you’ve completed this Winter! I love the green wool, and imagine how fast a pram blanket will be compared to the big ones.
ReplyDeleteThe frozen brioche buns sound like such a good idea, and they were a good price too.
This week felt long. One of my sons has Influenza A, and others have been sick throughout the week as well. A third of children were away from my daughters school some days this week.
I made chicken soup and have been giving lemon, honey and ginger drinks. Other than that it’s really just a case of resting.
We have my brothers family coming to stay next week, so I need to get the house ready and do lots of baking this weekend. We haven’t seen them in two years so everyone is excited.
Wishing everyone a lovely weekend
Jen (NZ)
Dear Jen, I hope your on is improving. The flu can be really bad and also take a while to get over. I really hope he is well for the uncles visit... and no one else gets it! I had a bad flu once... it came on very fast and I needed up in hospital. So I have never forgotten how sick you can be. I also suffered exhaustion for some times after. I am glad you get to see your brothers! I know you will be cooking up and feeding them well! With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteDear Annabel,
ReplyDeleteLily’s blanket turned out beautifully, and I love that you feel the colours are so perfectly her. The border really does finish it off and it’s another huge project ticked off.
I also loved your “food lego” idea with all the small freezer portions. It’s such a practical way to make future meals easier, and the orange and lemon concentrates will be wonderful to have ready for summer.
Your Mum’s idea of making the whole loaf into toasties for the freezer is brilliant too. Such a simple way to save time and have an easy meal ready when needed. Mum really does have some wonderful practical ideas.
I had to smile seeing the McMuffin idea make its way onto your project list too. I hope the grandchildren enjoy them as much as we do.
Have a lovely weekend xox
Dear Stephanie, None of us have ever tried an actual Mc Muffin but the idea is so good! I am thinking over what to do next! I absolutely love a toastie. Thanks for your help on this. With love Annabel.xxx
DeleteAnnabel what a vibrant blanket you made for Lily! Absolutely gorgeous and so beautifully and lovingly made! She looks so happy with her book and blanket! Also, what a great idea to make and freeze orange and lemon cordial concentrate for later use. Good idea to freeze eggs too, and I never knew to mix them with a bit of salt or sugar depending upon de-thawed use. Ooo, that tea loaf you made looks delicious! What a productive and enjoyable week you have had. Such a blessing to have time with your Mum (and grands too). What great success you had op shopping too. In my city, I am very blessed to have access to absolutely amazing second hand stores. I am on vacation for 10 days, and I plan to visit a few before I leave town, and then visit more at my vacation destination. I usually find like new children’s books. When my oldest grandson visited us last month, I took him to one of my favorite stores that gives each child a free book each summer, which he thought was just the best thing ever. I apologize for not commenting as often as I have in years past, but please know I still read your blog every week and care about and pray for you and your family and the lovely community you have created here! I hope you and all Bluebirds have a delightful weekend! Much love from Teresa
ReplyDeleteDear Teresa, Thanks so much! I hope you are having a great vacation an I love the sound of your town! And the free book for a child is so good! Thank you for your kind words and especially for your prayers. I really need them to be honest. With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteHi Annabel
ReplyDeleteI love the photo of Lily, she is so happy snuggled under her pretty blanket with a book. I'm definitely going to use your Mum's idea of sandwiches made up and frozen, ready to toast. Turkey and cranberry sounds like a winner to me.
I have waited for the summer sales to buy some replacement bed linen for our bed. I bought the duvet set, pillowcases and fitted sheet for half price. I will keep one of the existing sets in rotation and will still keep the oldest set stored away for emergencies. I washed the pillows and one was a bit lumpy when it dried so I opened up a seam, pulled the stuffing into shape and then restitched the seam.
I had a good book haul in a charity shop, one brand new book which I know a friend will like, an old book for me which I have been searching for and two like new books for my granddaughter.
I bought flower seeds for autumn sowing and my husband has taken cuttings of lots of plants. We had a bulk delivery of compost with free delivery.
I cut flowers for the house.
The garden gave us French beans, celery, cucumber, green bell peppers, courgettes, tomatoes, potatoes and mint. I blanched and froze several bags of French beans.
I made two courgette loaf cakes with lime icing and froze one.
I stocked up this week on electric toothbrush heads, dental sticks ( found a good deal) and British rapeseed oil. Poor yields because of the heat means vegetable oils are going to get more expensive.
My husband and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary this week with a lovely meal out and a family gathering another day. It feels like we blinked and forty years have rolled by!
Best wishes to Bluebirds around the world.
Penny in the UK
Dear Penny, The ready to toast sandwiches are so good. One time my Dad turned up at my house as he plays did for a up of tea. He handed me a sandwich wrapper in plastic and sake me if I could "ing it in the toaster" for him! Congratulations on your anniversary!! I am seeing you virtual rubies!
DeleteBed linen is expensive, getting it at half pice in the sales is the way to go!
The book haul was great too especially finding a new book for the gift cupboard! Im so pleased you are still harvesting so much! With much love Annabel.xxx
Dear Annabel
ReplyDeleteTop marks for the gorgeous blanket. Lily will have that as an heirloom to hand down the line.
We had good rain and all the dams are overflowing in the hills. The hay crop should be good if the kangaroos don’t flatten the lot before it’s cut.
I really like your idea for the cordial cups.
Kate
Dear Kate, Overflowing dams are such a good sign. The rain keeps coming steadily and the next couple of days look promising for us.
DeleteSo good about the hay crop! I hope the kangaroos dont wreck it! Some of them are huge. I keep coming across a huge one on Chloe's road. He looks like he is ready to punch someone lol
I still have some last lemons, oranges and eggs to work on this week. Then I can start cutting celery. So I will be able to stay that right through winter produce came in. To me that is amazing. With much love Annabel.xxx
Dear Annabel, I just love Lily’s blanket! It is absolutely beautiful. Look how happy she is with it. Lovely photo of Lily. Sparkie is adorable. I love seeing photos of Sparkie too. All that produce will be a great help. I bet the cordial will taste fabulous in Summer. It is a beautiful day here today and I love the sunshine. I do plan on crocheting and cooking. Lots of love, Bridget
ReplyDeleteDear Bridget, Thank you! The sunshine is like good therapy. If it is a nice day and the sun is shining we make it that the kids are outside. The next two days are raining (which we want) and I am working on an activity for Tuesday afternoon for an indoor thing to do. But they would rather be outside. I am glad you have some crochet going! With love Annabel.xxx
DeletePlease keep the grams in your tea cake recipe when you post it! Some of us use a thermomix and grams ar far more accurate than cups.
ReplyDeleteI made a date and walnut loaf a few days ago and froze the slices. So handy to have on hand when friends drop in. :)
Ok will do! I will do the date loaf as well. They are both really good recipes. Yes frozen slices are soo handy! No one would ever know! xxx
DeleteDear Annabel and Bluebirds,
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing blanket! Love the two stitches as they switch rows.
I wish you well on the pumpkin patch and exterminating the termites. The green yarn is lovely. Can't wait to see what you make!
Can't believe how blessed you are by your hunters.
I feathered my nest by baking pumpkin muffins and prepping cookie batter for the freezer. These plus filling the fridge before I left on a trip to Florida with my daughter, Molly. She is off to college next week and is celebrating her high school graduation.
We are having a marvelous time in St. Augustine, Florida! I cannot recommend it more highly. Her job as a nurse's aide pays well. I'm so proud of her. She planned the entire trip and paid for most of it.
Thanks for your prayers! God has been so kind to me.
And Sue, I am so sorry for your loss.
You are in my prayers.
Love, Leslie (Ohio)
Dear Leslie, I am so glad you are having a great trip! Well done to your daughter! That is wonderful. I am thinking of you very much.
DeleteThank you for your kind words!! I am on to new crochet projects! With much love Annabel.xxx
Hi Annabel Could you provide the quantities for the lemon or orange concentrate that you use for cordial. I have collected a load of lemons today so would like to try it. Thankyou.
ReplyDeleteDear Sandy, For citrus it is half juice and half sugar but only gently warmed until the sugar is fully dissolved and you have a syrup. Then it is one cup of concentrate to about one litre of water, depending on your own tastes. So it is a very space saving thing to just freeze the concentrate. It is beautiful and a pretty colour! With love Annabel.xxx
DeleteI spent the past two weeks cleaning and organizing my kitchen. Well I'm not quite done yet, but part of my focus was the pantry/freezer and I realized what I need and what I don't need and what I really need to figure out how to use. I also rid myself of some foods that I'd been hanging on to even though I didn't find them tempting or tasty and honestly letting go of that guilt over never using them was a huge relief and cleared my head so I could think of what I do have and might use.
ReplyDeleteNext week it is my hope to can some broth, dried beans and possibly fruit pie filling and cranberry jelly. I now feel I can face this project very well.
It is hot and dry here despite many cloudy heavy days with thunder. Not much rain in it for us, it's all falling east of my own home. Not an issue since my son's garden is done, my flowers are nearly spent anyway. I'll try to keep the fig trees watered enough to keep them going and be grateful for what flowers I did enjoy this year.
I've been debating various home projects and noted which I might do myself with minimal expense and which will likely require heavier labor than I can give to them. I'm just going to tuck my head down and go to work and do all I can on my own! In the meantime, I'm also just taking it rather easy and resting. I'm almost fully recovered from my bouts of illness in July and I truly believe the resting is helping more than anything. It's also helped clear my mind and help me think better so I have a better idea of what I want/need in my future.
Dear Terri, Well done! You achieved a lot! There are a lot of Jos e can do bit by bit ourselves. And they make a big difference too! I 100% agree about resting an clearing your head. I find keeping Sundays for rest and quiet, planning etc makes the world of difference to me. And quiet time. Too much noise etc doesn't do me any good. I think you are doing very well! With much love Annabel.xxx
DeleteJust dropping you a note, Annabel, to tell you how much I like Lily's blanket. It's just as adorable as she is!
ReplyDeleteI live about 35 miles from the catastrophic fires in Spokane, WA, and have been enduring the atmospheric smoke. I broke down and bought an air purifier. My son's ex-girlfriend and her husband lost their home. All that is left is the foundation. So sad for hundreds of people.
I have decided to cook or give away (or some combination thereof) the big pieces of meat in my freezer. As a family of one--me--cooking a roast is just too daunting. Of course I know about cooking and freezing in smaller packages, but the fact is, I probably won't do it, at least not often. Some of this meat isn't getting any younger and needs to be eaten by somebody. I am focusing on buying smaller pieces, such as ground beef, chicken pieces, sausages, steaks and chops, etc. I also am eating far less meat than before my husband died. I could easily become a vegetarian except that I don't want to bother learning to cook all over again!!
Best wishes to all of the Bluebirds from northern Idaho USA.
--Maxine
Thanks so much Maxine! Oh my goodness the smoke must be awful. I am very glad you have an air purifier and think that was very wise.
DeleteIf you roast the larger bits of meat and make several meals and share some I am sure everyone would be very grateful! Nothing is really nicer than a roast. Yes adjusting what we buy to suit ourselves is important. I tend to cook a fair bit at once so really I only cook about 3 x a week but eat well. Many thanks Maxine, with love Annabel.xxx
Dear Annabel,
ReplyDeleteI too can see the writing on the wall re bird flu and egg shortages, I hadn’t thought about freezing the eggs nor did I know how to do it with the salt and sugar. I don’t have chickens but I will be buying extra eggs and freezing while I can to have a backup supply. Thank you for this advice.
Lily’s blanket looks beautiful 😍
Have a lovely week everyone
From Cheryl 🪺
Dear Cheryl, The sugar or salt only has to be a tiny pinch. Then stir. They come out less rubbery which some complain about. I grew up on a chook farm. Some things now and then come in handy! I am continuing to get ahead on eggs.
DeleteThank you so much re Lily's blanket! I am on to pram rugs with left over yarn. With much love Annabel.xxx
Lily's blanket was gorgeous. You create such beautiful things, Annabel.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Glenda! xxx
DeleteA lightbulb came on and I decided how to solve the large cuts of meat dilemma. I'm going to bless other singles by giving them a cooked meal every time I cook a roast. I'm making a pot roast tomorrow and sharing it with a friend's daughter who moved over the weekend and is still unpacking.
ReplyDeleteWonderful idea. A home cooked meal is one of the best things you can give anyone!xxx
Delete