Feather your Nest Friday, 31st July, 2026.

The last day of July!   Once it is August it's nearly September and once it's September it's nearly Christmas.  That's how it always seems to me.  I want to really appreciate this next month,  the end of winter, and soak this time in.


As with all of the last weeks produce kept coming.   This time lemons.







I don't mean a few lemons either.   Thanks to us asking permission to pick a lemon tree at a house with no occupants...   a tall man, a ladder and a ute this was the harvest.







You will also notice thistles... covered in tiny snails for extra protein too!





We estimate each basket is around 20 kilos....   sound around 80 -90 pounds all up.   


Today we took some to church to share of course.  Everyone is getting lemons whether they want the or not.


I made Lemon butter since I also have eggs.  The chooks are laying.  AND Chloe and I are both getting some new chickens next week.   Chloe is getting ten and I am getting five.  I try and get a few new ones every year so at no stage are all my chooks suddenly old and not laying.  I do keep a rooster and an incubator so if things are dire I can start hatching batches. 




These chickens though are laying giant eggs,  I cracked three in a row and each was a double yolker.







This is the last of this crop of Broccoli.   But I have a new crop coming on in big numbers.  I just hope it comes to fruition as it is several hundred plants!


I had Leeks from last weeks swap table so I freeze dried them. 







This was something I could add to my shelves.


Also I made Ike lamb bone broth then the meat, pumpkin and carrots baby food. 






I juiced oranges every day and made a giant orange cake with organ icing.







This went over to Chloe.   

My helpers came on Thursday.  My adult helpers and little helpers were here on the same day.  We coordinated and it was a massive days work.

The boys helped me in the garden.  It was a sunny day so I think get out in it!  I weeded some of my container gardens and we filled the big and small wheel barrow.     Also I planted up another bed of Broccoli.





We set off to the hen house.   This went well until we got to the hill.   Tom pushed the big wheelbarrow up the hill for me then came back and got the little one as well.   Then we emptied them in the chook house and collected the eggs.


On the way back to the house we stopped at the compost heap and filled the wheel barrow up with compost for my containers.





Later Tom reported to my friend that Chase had been "quite sensible."   haha 


In my container garden I have quite a bit of celery which is really coming on.






My big helpers cut me a very decent load of wood and even bring it to the back door and then into the house next to the fire.  😊






A major project has been to rescue an old and no longer used windmill from the scrub,  restore it and eventually it will go on the hill near the house.... and be seen as you come in the driveway.
I absolutely love windmills.  






Most these days lay unused as solar pumps have taken their place.  I really love that I can have one to admire.   I will show another photo when it is in its final spot.
This all made very entertaining viewing for the boys.  

I cut up left over veggies to go with a pork roast and potatoes I made for Chloe's family.




I made Date Loaves and also a tea loaf which was an experiment but I liked it.











As well as the jugs in earlier photos I got this lovely gigantic bowl from by, swap and sell.







With the two blankets completed last week I picked up Lily's blanket.   Since I took this photo I have added on quite a bit.








Sparkie is guardian of the wool.  This looks fine but as soon as I don't pay attention she grabs the ball and runs flat out down the passage with it.







 
Ike is 6 months old!   He is all smiles and laughs.









The other kids have to get in the photo too. Lily always has her hands in her pockets, standing up or laying down.


I started the dreaded last chest freezer organisation- clean out.  It actually wasn't as bad as I thought.  I bought these baskets last week from Kmart.






I really like them.  They are baskets of hope and categories.  I'm not finished yet but one more session and I will be.  So I am very happy!

My good you tube channel of the week is Seed and Sprout Homestead.   In this episode she showed me something I can really use in the next week.  A lemon juice concentrate that you can freeze in trays and come summer simple drop them into jugs or drink bottles.  So brilliant and simple and handy.   But she has a lot of beautiful information and inspiration.  I like this because I am not keen on citric acid and it needs none.   I have a fruit freezer and will fill a drawer with lemon and orange concentrates.  These will be fantastic in the hot weather. 

I THINK Jessica from Three Rivers Homestead will start the Every bit counts Challenge and I will certainly be doing that.  I will post her videos in the Tuesday Afternoon Club and post daily what I did that day.   We need to support Jessica as she lost her whole garden just recently.   The last couple of years doing this challenge has been a real eye opener to me.  And a lot of fun!  I LOVE a challenge!   

I hope good opportunities came your way and it was a good week for you.  I do see some of the ladies I follow have wildfires near them (USA) and I hope none of you are in danger.  xxx






Comments

  1. Annabel and Dear Bluebirds, Prayers all are doing well.
    I am in awe over all the produce you have been working on. Love seeing the boys working and Tom's comment on his brother. Chase has to be feeling so grown up helping you.
    You are definitely going to be prepared for your summer this year, love that you will be getting a few more chickens.

    We had a week here, I had been in a pancreatic attack for a week. I finally called the doctor as we were running out of ideas to relieve the pain, care is pretty much just going on a liquid diet for days. The day I finally decided I wanted to go to the ER we couldn't, due to flooding. Every road and side street to 2 hospitals were closed due to the water. Our basement was flooded in one room, husband has his hands full dealing with that. We aren't Spring chickens so it is a bit harder and longer to get things done. He has been vacuuming up the water off the carpet and dumping the tankfuls. He will have a few days work getting it all cleaned up.

    We are hoping for a good week ahead and a good month. I will be able to give my crocheted Mommy/Baby blanket to my Grandson and his Fiance next Saturday at their shower. So now to find a new project to work on as husband found more yarn stashed in storage room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosanne, I am sorry to hear of your pancreatic problem. I had this as a child and I know how poorly it can make you. I hope you are on the road to recovery.
      Penny in the UK

      Delete
    2. I hope you are feeling better, Rosanne! Lots of love, Bridget

      Delete
    3. Dear Rosanne, I hope you are feeling better too and can get to the baby shower next weekend. It was a ig job getting that beautiful blanket done and it will be a wonderful present. I cant wait to hear how it goes! With much love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  2. Dear Annabel,

    First of all, Happy 6 month birthday Ike! and Go, Sparky! with the wool ball.

    It is incredible how big and beautiful is Lilly now - all smiles - and I like her blanket, cheerful as she is.
    Great to see your little helpers there! and having new chickens.

    In my part of the world things are mixed - good and bad - but I choose gratitude for everything I have. Being a Libra, I always see both parts.
    - the bad: - the heatwave is here, with hot air - plants are scorched. I hope all the Bluebirds are safe outthere, in the wildfire zones.
    - in the north African part of Spain there were between 5-20 thousands refugees coming to Europe - this could generate a crisis in Europe like the one in 2015
    - last weekend three russian drones were shot down by Romanian pilots in 3 consecutive days. Not in my part of the country but first time russia comes so deep in our country.
    - The price of diesel in Romania today, July 31, 2026, starts at approximately 10.42 lei/liter for the standard grade, with the national average hovering around 10.47–10.50 lei/liter and peaks exceeding 10.50 lei/liter at some distribution networks.
    10,42 lei is 3,25 australian dollars or 2,29 USA dollars or 2 Euros. And all the prices are growing because of that.
    - my hens are coping fine with the heat so far, but I lost two of them: one that seemed a bit under the weather in the evening and in the morning she was dead and the other one was killed in the garden by a ferret before I got out to lock them in. It was not dark yet. Since then the dogs are out there all the time and we are extra vigilent not to come back.
    - For some weeks I went to different doctors and tried different treatments for lump in the throat sensation, and in the end the conclusion is that emotional tension, stress and anxiety is responsible for that. Or acidity, but I do not feel any.

    The Good: - I am glad the medical news are fine, I am managing my stress level as it is posible. Not taking anything personally at the job with a toxic boss, accepting I can not change all the world and picking my important to me fights.
    - I still have beautiful friendly young hens that keep laying and being pamperred - we will have some more young chicks next month, but not more than six as winter is coming.
    - In the raised beds, where I can control the water and help the plants, I still harvest almost every day some zuchinnies, green beans, parsley, cucumber, rosemary and tomatoes. Also, the apple trees are loaded, although because of the heat, many apples start to fall.
    - I started a batch of aple cider vinegar and, somethin new to me, I try to capture yeast under the apple trees. I have read an article about that and remembered how My Grandmother did that, exactly near the apple and plum tree, under the grapes vine. Yeast was hard to find back then and she made bread at home - we, the kids, were colouring or doing our homework at that big table outside, even our lunch, breakfast or the Sunday meals were served there but we had to be carefoul not to touch the glass jar. Ohh. I have so many happy memories, My Grandmother would like that very much.
    - The Good: Life is easier in Summer for me, and in general, life is the best now for me.
    - Tommorrow, First of August, my husband and I will be celebrating our 31 years since our first meeting. True love story, we celebrate each year - with a single red rose. On Sunday we will be having a swimm in the cool emerald lake.

    I am a Libra and I like talking to you, hence the really long letter.
    Sending all my best wishes to everyone,
    With much love from far away,

    Laura_s_world from Romania


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like talking to you, too! I'm an Aquarian. Not really into astrology but I do see some similarities.
      --Maxine

      Delete
    2. Laura, what a positive post despite the difficulties you are facing. I hope you continue to manage stress in the best ways you can. Enjoy your red rose day!
      Penny in the UK

      Delete
    3. Dear Maxime and Penny, sending a big virtual hug from far away. Laura

      Delete
    4. Dear Laura, Thank you or your report. I am sorry you lost two hens... it is in the heat I often lose a couple... hence when I can top up the numbers I do. I am glad the rest are ok.. The flood of migrants we were told grew to 60,000. I saw scenes that were frightening.
      Isn't it wonderful you found your husband 31 years ago! You have always sounded very happy together. And your garden is giving you so much! This is wonderful.
      Stress can definitely bring on a range of symptoms. I wish you did to have this mean boss. I dont understand why some people enjoy being mean to others.
      I hope I can show you my new chickens on Friday... although they will be pretty ordinary red ones... however they are reliable good layers and that is that I need! With much love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  3. What a productive week you had! It is so satisfying to add to our freezer and pantry.
    I agree with you there is something very comforting about seeing a windmill. It is especially beautiful at sunset. It harkens us back to simpler times. It will be the perfect sentinel for your driveway to welcome in visitors.
    Your veg looks so healthy and lush. The best price I can get for Organic Broccoli here is around $4.00 a small head. Organic Asparagus is well over $4.00 a small bundle. Organic Leeks are $4.00 a bundle and it only has three small Leeks in the bundle. Yet some people still think it doesn’t pay to grow your own food. We know better ~smile~
    I always enjoy reading your blog. It encourages me to keep building and the pictures are always so dear of your precious grandchildren and animals. A bright spot on the internet .
    Lynd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lynd, Thank you so much! It is nothing for me to see Broccoli at $8 a head. I have so much growing I just hope it all reaches maturity! But I am glad of anything growing and any produce that comes in. Thank you for your encouragement! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Annabel
    Wow! The lemons are crazy! I like the idea of freezing lemon concentrate to use throughout the year.
    Lily's blanket is beautiful, love the colours.
    You had a really productive week, the family must have enjoyed your home cooking so much. Lily is enjoying the cake for sure.
    I cleared and cleaned the back kitchen and have a few items to take to the tip.
    I made jars of Chinese hoisin plum sauce with some of our plums, it's shelf stable for three months.
    We ate well from the garden, tomatoes, celery, courgettes, cucumbers, spring onions, potatoes,basil and plums. I wish I had weighed the plums, it's been insane how many we've picked.
    Both daughters were home this week and left laden with plums, veggies, pickles, hoisin sauce.
    I picked flowers for the house.
    A friend was upset when blackbirds ate all her blackcurrants which she likes to use for jam. We gave her a large quantity of plums for jam and she was almost overwhelmed.
    A friend and I were discussing how the skills we used at home seem old fashioned now to many people but we enjoy doing them and save money and feather our nests. It would be sad if these skills disappeared.
    My daughter's make me laugh, they tease me for being 'old school' then ask me for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, forgot to add my name
      Penny in the UK

      Delete
    2. On a recent trip to the grocery store tiny jars of strawberry jam were five dollars. I have a wheat allergy and the gluten free bread was 9.89.
      I go to salvage shops and purchase organic oats
      grind then into flour and make bread for very little.
      So people can say what they want but the old fashioned ways of doing things are best!

      Delete
    3. Dear Penny, Your daughters would have loved taking home produce and flowers! And your friend who lost her black currents.. she still got to make jam! Tell her to watch for old net curtains for covering the fruit next year. The skills you have will be needed by everyone who wants to do well I think. As the prices of food go up plus the prices of energy/fuel...all the skills are needed. Out and about the price of things amazes me! Your plum sauce sounds beautiful! A great week! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  5. What a great week you had Annabel. Your grandsons are such good helpers and Lily and Ike are adorable! Beautiful produce for your larder and to share such a blessing!
    I love that bowl, gorgeous!
    My great grandparents had a windmill when they had their farm, mum said they had a car battery hooked to it, but I'm not sure exactly what that was for. I love windmills they are one of the glories of older days.
    My week as usual this time of year is gardening. I have beans almost ready to pick so canning will start soon. We're behind this year because we had to plant late.
    I was gifted more tulle, no trade this time.
    I made two crib bows I just need to add some ribbon or something to them.
    I bought a bag of marked down bananas to freeze for banana bread.
    I've added some fruit scraps and a few apples I was able to salvage from our tree to the bag I have in the freezer for fruit punch.
    I added a little essential oil to my mop water because I love smelly goods.
    I have froze lemon juice in ice cube trays before and it's wonderful. Its so easy to just grab a cube and pop it in a glass. I've done it with other juices as well when I've had extra.
    I made a pan of lasagna for several meals
    And I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I hope everyone has a beautiful next week.
    XOXO
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vicky, That was a big and good week! I want to see the crib bows and the beans! It is a great idea to add the essential oil to the mop bucket! I will do that! I am glad you got some more tulle too! I have an idea and will send you the link! I know you will be very busy with canning and harvesting... but Im so glad you have so much produce coming in! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  6. Dear Annabel,

    I loved seeing the windmill being restored. There is something so lovely about a windmill on a farm, and the position on the hill will be perfect. I’m looking forward to seeing it once it is in place.

    Your lemon butter looks absolutely divine too, and I had to smile at everyone leaving church with lemons whether they wanted them or not!

    I also enjoyed seeing your freezer organisation coming together. I always enjoy seeing how other people organise their freezers because I’m forever refining my own systems too. This week I finally finished my own freezer location guides, so I’ve had freezers on my mind as well!

    Have a lovely weekend xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Stephanie, I have freezer envy over your organisation! Ive made some more lemon butter today. I want to get some frozen for use in summer. So maybe if I make a batch per week I will achieve this.
      I hope you are off and running for a good new week. With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  7. Annabel, I can't believe the number of lemons you were given! Well, I can believe it because you posted the pictures, but it was still quite the haul! Good for you for asking and living to tell the tale LOL!

    I have accomplished next to nothing this week. I tried to buy apricots for more jam and neither store had them. I'm going to call the rest of the stores in the area to see if they have apricots.

    Update on the beeswax-lined canvas bag for bread storage--My son buys sourdough bread with no preservatives. It is normally hard as a rock by the third day. He stored it in the bag and it lasted 6 days! Definitely worth considering if you make homemade bread and have a hard time finishing it all before it goes stale.

    Best wishes to all of the Bluebirds! Annabel, what wonderful pictures of your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maxine, Beeswax wrapping bags and cloths are very good. Thank you for your kind comment! With much love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  8. The lemon butter looks so beautiful! I love the colours and pattern of Lily’s blanket, it will be gorgeous.

    This week involved three late nights at work, so the slow cooker came to the rescue.

    It’s very cold today, sport has been cancelled, so it’s a nice day to catch up a bit! I feel some soup and baking are on the agenda.

    I picked up some scented candles for the gift stash, they were 39 cents each! So 12 candles for less than $5.

    I had some cream cheese icing to use up so tried making red velvet cake for the first time. It was gluten free and everyone loved it. Very easy too!

    Have a lovely weekend
    Jen (NZ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jen, In bad weather hen things are cancelled I too have felt relived and happy to be at home! It is great you added to the gift cupboard for so little! Well done on the red velvet cake! I have never made one. Very impressive!
      I am on my last row of Lily's blanket now! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  9. Dear Annabel, my goodness your grandchildren are the picture of health and happiness. Ike is such a bonny baby. Chase and Tom look to be great helpers, I am sure you all slept well Thursday night. Your plants look fantastic, the celery and broccoli looks so good. Lily's blanket is beautiful. I love the idea of the orange juice and lemon juice concentrate. I must look this up. Spending time in the garden is lovely. I have finally used up bananas lol I made some banana 'biscuits' kind of like mini muesli bars. It was good to try new recipes. Sparkie is so cheeky and so cute. I need to crochet more today. I also would fancy some of that date loaf with a cup of tea lol Love, Bridget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bridge, Thank you! I have made cordial to bottle but it contains citric acid and Im no so keen on that. This concentrate is equal parts of fruit juice and sugar, dissolved, frozen into whatever sizes you want. If you do one cup sizes it is one cup to 3 to 4 cups of water reconstituted... It also could be done in the long ice cubes just right for drink bottles and be added to make drinks cold and add electrolytes and vitamins to kids drinks for school etc. Any kind of babnas cake or loaf is delicious! It is so good you've had all this fruit! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  10. Annabelle what a beautiful life you have made. Full of family,nature and joy. Your grand babies are so precious. You can tell what sparkles going to do first chance he gets! That looks in his eyes.
    The colors in that blanket
    are gorgeous.
    I am in the southern US and
    our gardens and orchard produced little this year. The drought had been awful. Even with our watering
    the garden struggled.
    My roses are opening and burning up before days end. The heat index
    has been 106 to 110.
    Our peach trees,nectarines and apples produced nothing.
    A late freeze killed all the fruit.
    I lost a lime and some young lemon trees in the freeze. All our corn burned up or did not develope.
    We did get an abundance
    Of tomatoes though
    And lots of different varieties of herbs. . We have a long growing season here so have started more seedlings.
    I love how your readers share what is going on where they live.
    Laura I can't imagine how difficult things are around you.
    But your post is positive in spite of it all. The information about yeast
    under the apple tree is useful information. I'm sorry your having health problems from stress.
    I think your grandma would be very proud of you.
    Thank you bluebirds for sharing news and ideas from your daily lives. This is such a wonderful group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words. This group around Annabel is wonderful, I grant her the credit. From all the Bluebirds I personally have been learning many useful things for my everyday life, news around the globe and a lot of encouragement when I needed. With gratitude, from all my heart, Laura_s_world from Romania

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! And for your lovely words to Laura. I am hearing a lot about the drought and the fires too. I am glad you did get tomatoes. These years are why we prepare. Hearing this I appreciate the produce Ive had coming in so much more. Thank you this was a beautiful comment!xxx

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing your happy week, Annabel. Beautiful cake and lemon curd. Well done on the broccoli. So much work accomplished by your helpers!

    My week has been full of baking and driving my youngest daughter to work in the corn fields. I received a variety of fruits and pretzels from my bartering friend which delighted my children. My blackberries and tomatoes are slowly ripening. I got 2 pints of mixed berry jam made.

    I would appreciate prayers for my family. I was forced to separate from my husband. He needs counseling and men friends.

    Love, Leslie in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, I'm sorry to hear of your separation and hope all works out well for both of you. Although we never separated, my late husband and I had lots of problems at times. I will be praying for you because I know how hard this is.
      --Maxine

      Delete
    2. You will be in my thoughts Leslie
      Penny in the UK

      Delete
    3. Dear Leslie,
      I will absolutely be in prayer for you and your whole family! I am sorry that you are facing this. There have been several times that one of your comments has been just what I needed to hear/read and I am thankful for you and your wisdom.
      Warm Regards, Rachel

      Delete
    4. Oh dear Leslie, I will pray. I am very sorry. I hope your husband gets the help he needs and you have support. Please email me if you would like to talk or I can help in any way, with much love, Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  12. Annabelle, I always enjoy reading about all you accomplish in a week. I love the photos you add showing how you add beauty to everything, like little flowers on pies and beautiful floral tablecloths, etc. Of course seeing and reading about your grandkids is also special. Thank you. And thanks to all the Blue Birds that take the time to write about their lives as well.
    Elise from sunny Los Angeles suburb that is currently 105⁰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Elise,
      I hope the weather has cooled down some for you! Heat is very wearing. One everyone and everything! Thank you for your very kind words! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts