I have been away over night and the first thing I needed to do when I walked in the door was start the fire! It is cold! I don't get to the bigger stores very often and I had a chance to go to Aldi and Coles and do a stock up shop. It was very interesting. I got some op shop bargains too and even a Facebook Market place deal! As it was dark when I got home I have brought in all the food and everything else is in the car until tomorrow. I will take some photos then!
This regional centre is Mt Gambier. If you look for Australia on the map you have to go right to the bottom of Australia to find Mt Gambier. I noticed that the big stores I went into did not have the variety they once had. Like sections had shrunk. I still did well... but there were less choices. I also noticed a lot of empty shops in the mains street and also the arcade type areas there were so many boarded up and empty stores. Which is a bit grim.
Still I came home with plenty including a big set of tubs from Kmart to reorganise my last big freezer. This is the freezer in my laundry. Everything in the top half is beautiful stuff. What is in the bottom half is a complete mystery. As soon as I re group from this trip I am emptying it out and using tubs to organise categories. I found lovely tubs to use and can't wait to get this done. It's a strange job to be excited about! Ready to go meals and ready to go ingredients are a lifesaver. It wasn't until I saw on you tube a lady organise her freezer so well that I decided I can do this! Actually I will share this link as she motivated me in two ways.... 1/ the chest freezer and 2/ freezing eggs when I have an abundance. It is really good... Chest Freezer Organiser System the works!
So, back to earlier in the week. I needed to focus on Oranges. I am juicing and drinking oranges every day. When I go to Chloe's I take a fresh bottle and she gives me the last bottle back, like in the old days with the milk man.
I got busy and made two organs cakes... one regular and one gluten free.
I am showing this one un iced so you can see it is orange! Each contains about 3 oranges and six eggs. Hence the lovely colour!
Then more orange juice goes into the icing. It is called Winter Sunshine cake and if you look up my old blog The Bluebirds are Nesting - Winter Sunshine cake you will find the recipe.
It also smells like citrus so fresh and lovely.
Next I surveyed the veggies I had left over from the box of produce the man at the cabin gave me. These were zucchini, capsicums, onions and tomatoes. I chopped these and threw them into two dishes.
I also grabbed a bag of frozen cherry tomatoes from the freezer. So it was all free produce.
Anything roasted it just better.
I added meat balls as usual as the kids love them but I can happily eat this recipe without them. And cheese on top of course.
I made two trays. I am thankful because tonight I didn't have to think about what to have for dinner I just heated up a serve. And it was so good.
Tom explained to me that they all go back for seconds of this but then they go for thirds and they scoop up all the yummy sauce at the bottom and it is sooo good! Well all that yummy sauce is beautiful veggies. 😊
I also used up every single last apple. This became the next round for Ike. Apple is his favourite. At one stage I had so many apples and different types too. Every single one has been eaten fresh or made into something and everyone enjoyed them so much.
The space this left in my fridge was filled with oranges hoping to make some last even longer.
At the swap table I got a beautiful fresh bunch of leeks and a bunch for my friend. They smell so strong the whole car smells like onions. My favourite way to use leeks is chicken pot pies. We were both excited to get them.
I added a couple of rows to my wool patchwork blanket. I hope next week to sew rows together... when I figure out the arrangement. I ordered on a big sale flannelette quilt covers to cut up and use for the backings. I have enough squares for several.... and almost enough to make a girls one too.
I had one day feeling awful and all my plans came undone. So I thought I know what I can do! I went to bed with my two almost finished blankets for Ike and Chase... and I sewed all the ends in. It took all afternoon. I'm thinking five hours. But at the end two blankets were complete. Both are a good size, they more than cover a single bed.
Then I delivered them both to Chloe. Tom already has his. So only Lily to go and hers is started.
Chloe was very happy. She took these lovely photos.
My idea is if I made blankets big enough they will be a lifelong blanket from me. I really notice how kids know it is special. Someone made something just for them. And they remember!
It is so satisfying to compete a big project. Lily's will be a change as hers is the colours of sweet peas.
Sparkie stayed overnight with my friends. She has a second Mother she loves. This is very handy. 💖
I need to unpack but I got a box of vintage jug and basins.... one basin has birds painted inside it. The jugs are just heavenly. I met a nice lady in this exchange too.
I know I have forgotten things but I will make a new list tomorrow. Also a menu plan. I have pumpkins and baby butternuts to use next week... plus the leeks!
How did you build your home this week? So many things are just beautiful simple goodness that make everyone happy. My Mum used to make pancakes on Sundays after Mass. We loved them. Some flour, milk and an egg and they fed us and we thought is was go great. Mum would often make cup cakes and a cup cake in my lunch box at school always made me happy. And I remember all these years later! So don't forget fancy isn't necessary. Simple, wholesome and good warms the heart.xxx
Comments
Post a Comment