Back to basics. The present cupboard.

A present cupboard is an absolute basic.  It saves so much time and money.  It doesn't have to be a cupboard.  It could be a trunk, suitcase, a stash under the bed... a high cupboard... whatever you have that works for you.  

Over on The Tuesday Afternoon Club we started the first week of January!  That is the time!  What we can make in a year is amazing but also it can include items that have been found on great sales,  maybe even thrift store finds.   

I also keep plenty of cards, tape, paper... for every occasion.   If you buy neutral paper... ie brown paper or solids like silver, gold, green, red...  these will work for Christmas or birthday... anytime.  Same with cards!  Try and keep a variety (or make a variety) and non specific so you can use them for a birthday but then again for a get well just as appropriately.   

Between these two supplies you never have to run out looking for a card, gift, wrapping paper and present again.  When your child comes home from school with another birthday invitation you don't have to worry about the cost of a gift because you bought a dozen tins of beautiful pencils at the end of the year sales and you have the wrap and card already.  NOT having to do this run around saves so much money because when you are in a hurry you can't find anything and due to desperation and lack of time you end up spending way more than you want to.  This has happened to me and I remember thinking "I can't believe I am paying this!"  

The present cupboard also means by Christmas you have most of your gifts.  December is no longer such an expensive month.  And for me the best thing of all is I have extra gifts and can give more... and if things have gone really well I have early 2025 Birthday gifts to wrap as well!  I actually LOVE this.  Each 2025 gift I wrap is such a bonus!   It is a great way to start a new year!  

Over the last couple of weeks I began to unpack my cupboard and as always I forgot a lot of what was in there.  

Some things I need to keep secret or I will ruin surprises but here is what I can show you.

I made loads of cotton wash clothes and loads of crochet edge wash cloths and hand towels.








Also,  from waffle weave fabric,  I made towel,  hand towel and wash cloth sets.




I've just made some mens soaps from Rosemary and Eucalyptus.



Vanilla Extracts are brewing,  also Coffee Liqueur,  Vanilla Sugar,  Citrus Extract ...




I have dried and packaged Bay Leaves.   

Also a heap of kitchen towels... these were made from panels and the themes are Lemons...



Chickens...



And vegetables...





Still needing packaging/finishing off...  chicken gift tags and I bought seed packets in bulk and making them into packs of ten.






I have lots of packets of small gift cards.   These need to be tied up with ribbon with a pen added.






As you already know I also try and help my Grandkids with gifts for their friends and teachers ie the soaps we just made during the school holidays.   They ended up with about  a dozen each.
They were so proud of them that I know they will feel so happy to give them at Christmas.  Also I hope this will help my daughters budget.





At the moment my dining room table looks like this as I am saving boxes and lining them with shredded paper so that the girls have an easy way to present their soaps.  Presentation is everything!




I had to think of gifts that fit inside a regular card too as international postage is now shocking.  Also... by being ready if I know someone is travelling I am able to use them as a courier rather than post gifts.  

Best of all...  I have gifts to give the older ladies at church,  anyone that I realise might be lonely or forgotten and gifts to say "thank you."   It is just so nice to be able to go to the cupboard and come up with something in minutes.  

It is not too late to make a lot of your Christmas gifts.   In December I do a lot of baking and gifts of food and pantry items are always beautiful.  Think how expensive things are now.  People can be thrilled by a cake or a tin of biscuits.  I save tins...  and really big jars... they look so nice filled with something delicious.   

If you would like to join us for 2025 gift making come and join in January as week by week it is amazing how even a little production adds up! xxx


Comments

  1. Annabel and Dear Bluebirds,
    Annabel, such lovely gifts you have ready. It is such a great feeling to be able to go to a cupboard and pull out a gift on a minute's notice. I always remember my Grandmother busy crocheting gifts.
    I made a lot of jams, jellies and marmalade to be able to make little gift baskets with them and a crocheted dishcloth, potholder. I keep my eyes open at thrift stores for baskets, a bit of cellophane and a ribbon and I have a gift.
    I also made up elderberry elixir and cough medicine to make up wellness bags. Luckily I had them all brewed and ready when my son caught a virus.
    I do have to dig a bit deeper into a closet to find other items I made. I know it will be a surprise for me.
    Like you say, if we start in January, we will have gifts throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a good idea. And so gracious of you. I knew one mom of 12, who did this with gifts. She took advantage of sales and was prepared for any birthday party. andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is so talented. I wish my health allowed me to do more but thankful what I can do. Friends will be so blessed with what you have made!...........
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts