Back to Basics. Coffee Liqueur. Getting Christmas started.

Well it is only Tuesday but every single person I have spoken with this week is in financial trouble.   Obviously with that comes stress.  The knock on effect hits us all.   Especially kids.  So I was thinking the last thing we can drop due to costs is Christmas.  In fact spreading joy and love will be more needed than ever.  

This week I decided to kick start my Christmas preps.   Already my present cupboard is full of things I started making and collecting from January.  I guess it works out about half things I've made and half things I found on amazing sales and a few things from the thrift stores too.  Oh,  also I saw a few things online that just looked like certain people (who shall remain nameless) and I am excited about those!   So here we just covered how to make ourselves happy at Christmas and that is by being able to give!  If we can give we are going to have a wonderful time!

My difficulty is Dad loved Christmas and so did Andy.  Last Christmas I felt to make it as special as possible.  I had a feeling I had to make the most of every moment.  It never once occurred to me Andy would did less than a month later.  But I did make it special.  We all did have a beautiful day and Andy said he had the best Christmas ever!   Both Dad and Andy would most certainly want me to go ahead and make Christmas amazing for the kids.   They would want me to get on with it.   I feel the determination to do this but I also feel a bit sick and teary as well.


Anyway...

In December I am going to share as I bake.  Some things make very delicious and pretty gifts but are so cheap to put together.  So think... begin to save baskets, boxes and potential packaging that comes your way... we will be needing it soon!

First I started Coffee Liqueur because I have made it before and there are three people I like to give to who already are absolutely mad over this (as I've made it before.)   Also I have lovely bottles.  But if you don't have bottles yet that is ok.  Right now you just need a big jar or jug.  There are weeks ahead to find the bottles you need and I will help you with that next.

This is a recipe which has to brew/mature.   For anyone who likes coffee or Kahlua this is a winner.   This is what I got from one batch last year...




Some of these went into little hampers and some were a gift on their own.   We will get to wrapping later... presentation is everything! 

This is so very easy.

In a big saucepan place 3 and a half cups of white sugar and half a cup of dark brown sugar.





Add four cups of water,  stir and begin to bring to the boil.

Meanwhile measure out  2 ounces of good coffee...

Stir this into your boiled mix.








Give it a good stir. 

Take two vanilla beans and run a knife down the middle, lengthwise,  to open them up.  Throw these into the mix.  If any little bits break off throw them in also.

Let the mixture cool.   

When cool add 750 mils of vodka.  This is a standard bottle here.  So you want to watch and grab a bottle of vodka on a really good deal.   Sometimes a bottle is to be found lurking in someones cupboard so ask around!

Place this all in a big jar or whatever you have that has a lid.  It all needs to brew together. 






The jar in this picture is my Coffee Liqueur.   Give it a little shake or movement now and then.  Wait at least two weeks to try it.  But a few months is MUCH better.   If you try it on the first day it tastes no good at all.   Weeks later it is divine!   

Normally I would drink this with milk and ice... like a Kahlua and milk.   Andrew my helper knocks it back straight over ice. Yes he is getting a bottle.  😋 

Being a Liqueur it is intense and goes a long way and so can be given in smallish bottles.   Maybe look online or in the store and note the price of something similar.  It is expensive! 

Because it is busy brewing in your big container you have ages to find lovely bottles.   A really basic boring empty bottle is about $4 around here.    Over the years I have trained everyone to save me jars and bottles.   People to ask are anyone who drinks basically anything,  anyone who drinks whiskey, rum etc., anyone who owns a cafe or hotel or restaurant,  anyone who buys coffee flavourings ie vanilla syrup and so on as they mostly come in smaller bottles.   Being glass they are all easy to clean hygienically.  

You can make a label or tag with the name, how to use it.  This can be poured over ice cream for an adults only decadent desert so some suggestions are good.

Over on The Tuesday Club we have been working all year towards Christmas but it is not too late to make your Christmas very affordable.  Just get started now!  And plan!  

When times and budgets change it is fine to change what we normally do.  It is sensible to change!  There might be people with big ideas who expect expensive gifts.   A couple of years ago I dropped a few from my lists that I never heard from, never got a thank you etc.   In the work place there can be a lot of pressure on gifts too.   Work out your budget, priorities and do not be afraid to stick to it!    We are going to work along week by week towards a back to basics joyful Christmas with lots of back to basics recipes! xxx






Comments

  1. Dear Annabel, Thankyou for this post. Good on you for planning ahead through heartache for the Christmas coming. You always put everyone first - it is inspiring. Andy would want you doing just as you are doing and would be very proud of your resilience. Thankyou for teaching us how to make the liqueur. Love Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Annabel, Thank you for the instructions on this liqueur. Can I ask what brand of instant coffee did you use; French Roast or something stronger? I admire you for getting on with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie I used Nescafe instant. Any instant coffee you like should be ok.xxx

      Delete
  3. Aunt Diane from Streator27 August 2024 at 05:54

    Hello, Annabel & friends. Should the liqueur brew on the counter, or in the refrigerator? Thanks & have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brew on the counter but then it is not hot here. But this has worked out fine previously.xxx

      Delete
  4. Aunt Diane from Streator27 August 2024 at 05:56

    (Enjoying delicious zucchini slice for breakfast. I have learned so much from your blog. Thank you!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi -That looks great and how do I find the Tuesday Club?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi on FB it is called The Tuesday Afternoon Club, the picture is of crochet edging... we work all year to make all our presents! Hope to see you there! xxx

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much, I will take a look now.

      Delete
  6. Dear Annabel,

    Andy will be very missed this first Christmas especially, but you’ve already concluded both he and your dad wouldn’t want you to change a thing! They both live in your heart and will stay close to you at this time 💕

    I’ve been watching the sun rise and reading my bible this morning, then I read this post and they were very much aligned.

    I was drawn to proverbs 6:6 to my surprise it was the one about the ants! I know this is one of your (many) favourite verses.

    The ants laboured hard in the good times so they had provisions when times were hard. They had no master telling them what to do, they were self starters! After I read this I received a message…Don’t be busy for busy’s sake…Focus FIRST on the tasks that are going to add to your preparedness, preparedness for tomorrow, next week and next year. Then move on to the other tasks which must be daily done.

    I was then drawn to read the passage For God is not a God of Disorder.

    So you can see it was odd to move from bible time to my phone and open it up to read this post! I just had to share!

    I will be practicing making and doing my lists in a new order after this.

    Thank you for your inspiration. From Cheryl 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious. Are you using regular coffee or instant coffee? I'm assuming it's instant.
    Making a beautiful holiday for family is so important. You are loving your Dad and Andy by creating special celebrations for your family. This is such a good example to me. Making things lovely even in difficult or stressful times.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginger... yes instant coffee. I should have specified. Thank you so much. Family and kids mean we must make it as special as we can.xxx

      Delete
  8. Thankyou Annabel this sounds scrumptious just added vanilla beans and dark brown sugar to this weeks shopping list and added to the To Do List for the weekend as this Christmas is going to be stressful for us as well this year so little steps to make it manageable. Thankyou and bless you and all the Bluebirds love this uplifting blog Cheers Bevo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Annabel,

    I wanted to say exactly what Clare have said. Thank you!

    My Christmas preparation has begun, too, as many of my gifts would be handmade or made in the kitchen.
    I have your version of coffee liqueur brewing on the kitchen windowsill: one with sour cherries from the orchard, one with blueberries from the farmers market and one with blackcurrants from the garden. I am set for this kind of gifts, delicious with ice, on special deserts or whatever they want. But I will try your recipe, too. Thank you for sharing.

    I can understand your feelings for this Christmas. The year my Mother died we had celebrated both Catholic and Orthodox Easters, - like we knew to make the most of them. She died that year, on my birthday - a perfect circle for me. Every single year I feel tears celebrating and remembering but I know she would want me to enjoy the most and remember her and the good days. It is not easy but I truly feel her love.
    Sending you hugs from far away, Laura_s_world from Romania

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Annabel!

    That liqueur sounds delicious! And I'm sure it will be appreciated at Christmas time, although your loving husband will be dearly missed by all of you.
    Praying for you and your family, for God to give you strenght.
    I read your post about Laine and it broke my heart to knoe that she is receiving hospice care.
    The Transformed wife said the same in her site and she has a link to all of Laine's Letters in order.
    Here is the link, for all of the women that are interested:

    https://thelegacycollective.life/laines-letters

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Paula, Thank you so much! I posted the link to the old letters, in home letters and also all her recipes in my Friday post. There are a lot! I have them all printed into books which with my friends we sent copies to Laine. I am hoping a new website will come in the future! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
    2. Paula -
      Thank you so much for sharing Andrea’s website at The Legacy Collective that also contains Laine’s letters. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  11. Thank you, Annabel. This will be a great help. I know several people that will treasure these.
    Love,
    Leslie in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annabelle,
    Have you heard from Laine? I heard she was in hospice. Will you please share if you receive any information. I’ve been praying for her and her family.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share. I am able to speak to Art. If I havent heard anything I will ring him.xxx

      Delete
  13. I love Kahlua but haven't bought it in years. Now I can make my own! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts