Back to basics. Being sensible by Bridget.

 

When Annabel asked me if I would write a blog post, I was over the moon and couldn’t quite believe that I would have anything to offer to the beautiful Bluebird community. After all, this was the place where I had come to learn and grow as a person. Annabel is my equivalent to Taylor Swift to the Swifties. 

 

I first ‘met’ Annabel on a savings Australian website. I was amazed by her kindness, generosity, and willingness to help anyone. Her great love for her family and Christian values inspired me.




 

I first started our journey because my (now) husband had been diagnosed with a life-threatening illness. It had come out of nowhere and we were young. I knew at that point that our lives had changed forever. I knew then that if we were blessed with being able to marry (at that point even that was a dream) and have children that our life course would be different to others our age, due to his health issues and its impact on our lifestyle and finances. So, we began to be seriously frugal. Luckily, we had always been responsible with money and both of us were on the same page with our goals. My family helped me tremendously with good advice, help with education and giving me guidance with how we could achieve our dream. 

 

From our skills and frugal ways, we have been able to buy a house and be without debt, except for the mortgage. 

 

After some time, we were extremely blessed (and I thank God every day) to have two children. This helped to up our ante in being prepared. I have always followed Annabel’s advice and really appreciate the idea of having a pantry in all senses of the word. I have clothes for the children in their current size and two sizes up, and then then same with shoes. I search on the free pages, thrift stores and shops for mark downs. We have learnt to accept things when they are offered with gratitude. My husband said yes to a man that he knows from his work to accept about 10 pairs of children’s shoes. I recently said yes to my friend who was giving boxes of men’s clothes from her husband who updates his clothes and style regularly.

 

My husband is a tradesman and does all the maintenance on our house and cars. He also built our chicken coop and vegetable beds. 

 

I listen to Patara from Appalachian Homestead on Youtube. I will happily put my headphones on and complete chores and housework, it feels like a treat when listening to her. I have heard some people say that they couldn’t listen to her or others that talk about preparedness, because they find it negative. This astounds me. As Patara once said you don’t need the world to end to justify being prepared. There are so many things in the world to be prepared for….. and this isn’t even world events like wars, shipping issues, and covid….and as we well know that they can happen at any rate and any day. This is about personal circumstances too like loss of job, reduced hours at work, illness, disability, instability of housing, weather events etc.

 

In the last 6 months to a year, we have been through a few of them, and this has further cemented my wish to be prepared. My father was diagnosed with a serious illness last year and needed treatment in another city. At the same time, my husband was diagnosed with epilepsy and couldn’t drive and has had to reduce work hours due to the side effects of his medication. This meant I was busier and had to be careful in managing our budget. I thought we were at the end of the stressful period, but then a natural disaster hit, and our city flooded. Many homes and businesses were destroyed, including our friend’s house. 

 

We had been preparing for a cyclone, which did cross the coast North of us and with cyclones, they usually (not always) bring rain to the south of the system, so we knew we would have rain. We live in the Tropics, and this is called our ‘wet season’ so our environment is well suited to getting big rainfall totals. However, this cyclone passed, we had some rain and then it stalled over the coast. No one had been prepared for that, not even our national weather service that is responsible for putting out emergency warnings. In fact, about 4 days had passed and we all thought that we were in the clear.

 

Funnily enough, it was some independent weather watchers on Facebook that warned people that there may be a lot of rain. An older neighbour that has become our friend told us that he was more worried about the rain and not the wind.  It pays to watch news and heed warnings from multiple sources. I won’t ever just watch and listen to one source anymore. And I do ask questions when I hear information.

 

I think it pays to know your area well. Speak to locals and gather information from family and past generations. We had thousands of ants in our house before the rain, and I mean that they were so bad that they looked like shadow shapes walking along the wall. We have always been told that with ants, comes rain. 

 

In the midst of handling my father’s and husband’s illness, I sat down at the library while my children played and put together a cyclone checklist prior to Summer/our wet season. I wrote down emergency power-outage meals and had a meal plan. I probably wouldn’t win a Chef of the Year award, but we would not be hungry. I wrote down lists of what to do before, during and after the event. This helped my nerves tremendously as I can freeze in such situations. I made sure our cyclone box was replenished. When there is a low (rain depression) out at sea, I usually check is my car full of petrol, are our gas bottles full, do I have money (all banks and atms are down), do we have enough batteries, have I got everything for our pantry meals. We have gas cooking and gas hot water, so this is helpful when the power is out. So, it is good to have multiple sources for energy. 





When an event is declared or there are warnings, I find people to be quite incredible. Many were at the big grocery shops waiting for their online orders because they had decided to stock up (yet there wasn’t any staff and shops were closing), or they were out at restaurants and bars and cafes. Some panic and the petrol stations are miles long and some carry on as if nothing is happening. They act as if you are boring to be staying home and listening to warnings. 






We had a neighbour crying to us because water was coming through her bedrooms and asked my husband for help. This was the same neighbour that told my husband when he asked if she’d like help (before the event) that she wasn’t worried at all and was heading to the café.  He was out in the dangerous weather digging channels for the water to dissipate. This would have been alleviated had she cleaned her gutters, and her yard up. Then afterwards is when people really lose it. People were stranded on rooves of their houses for many hours, with no help in sight. No one could rescue them because it was too dangerous. Boats couldn’t get in. We couldn’t get out of our driveway, let alone street. Roads were closed in every direction, and it has taken months for some of them to reopen. Helicopters weren’t allowed to fly. People were having fights in front of young children when the stores re-opened over food. Fresh fruit and vegetables couldn’t be stocked, and meat like beef mince sells out quickly. Eggs, toilet paper, milk and bread all disappears. You need to stock up on medication, as it can be hard to find especially with the ongoing shortages, transport and road closures and chemists can’t always open. We used to say that we would be ok with water as we usually get so much rain. My husband had factored in that water treatment plants would break down. We wouldn’t be able to collect rainwater then because the rain system would pass, leaving filthy water that grows parasites in the soil and we’d have soaring hot temperatures. So, we were lucky because we filled all camping water containers, and our bath for water. Most people only have mobile phones so it can be hard to stay in contact, being able to recharge the phone is a must and can be done in the car, solar panel and or even a small hand crank torch/radio. My friend’s baby was sick during this time and there wasn’t access to medical treatment. Luckily her internet was still working and could video call online medical services (our State has a virtual emergency department, plus there are websites for online doctors). Write these websites down and real-life people that you can call upon, as it can be hard to navigate this in a stressful situation. Being stuck at home for days meant that we needed to have things to do for our children. We had board games and I had been to the library to borrow books and we had craft items. We could help others and make sure that their items were charged with our power etc except we still chose to listen to the local radio. It was very helpful in terms of local reports and local knowledge.





We have learnt a lot through all of this. Your town/city may be well used to natural disasters happening, perhaps bush fires happen or snowstorms, but never be complacent. I have found that it is even more important to have a pantry and interestingly doesn’t need to be full of gourmet things, full tummies are the goal in an emergency. I need to continue to build that. We also need to keep up our fruit trees and vegetable gardens as this is like a pantry. We were able to swap boxes passionfruit for mangos with neighbours and our greens could be quickly added to meals. I think that it is important to use cash regularly, cash is needed and valuable to society. I think that it is a good idea to help others, but there needs to be boundaries in place, or else you may be inundated. Overall, it has taught us that we need to be more self-reliant, a well-stocked pantry, medications and some medical equipment stocked, first aid kits full, numerous batteries. Learning substitutions is a good idea, as bread may be sold out but flat bread over a hot pan may be sufficient. Eggs may have sold out, but egg replacer, flax seeds or apple sauce may be good in the circumstance. Keep learning new skills and invest in yourself. Our mechanic had been flooded, but my husband could do the work instead. Hairdressers were shut and he could cut our children’s hair. The more you learn, the more that you will be ok no matter the situation.



Keeping a list of substitutions may be a good idea. 




 

Another one of our goals is solar panels and a solar battery. Water tanks will be useful too. 

 

I am grateful to my husband for being a smart man who is always willing to learn new skills. I seem to be a bit of a slower learner, but very much enjoy learning new skills and knowledge.

 

Overall, preparedness should never be seen as a negative thing. And how it could be considered boring amazes me. People with incredible skills, knowledge and independence could never be boring! However, I think there is a deep-seated reason as to why this isn’t held in high esteem. People have less power when they are dependent. However, that is probably enough from my soap box!





 

Thank you Annabel, for giving me the chance to write and I am continuing to say prayers for you and your family.


Thank you so much Bridget!  You were hit with so many things all at once and you both did so well!  I am so proud!  

I did laugh a bit about the Taylor Swift comment!

As Bridget mentioned we go back a long way.   Many times I heard her mention her husbands name and home town... which was where I lived and brought up the girls.  I had a neighbour with the same name.  Finally,  I asked Bridge what street had her husband lived on?    HE WAS MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOUR!   In fact he was friends with my little brother and his parents were friends with my parents.   Who would believe what a small world we live in!?

I listen to Patara also.  I have used her advice a few times when Chloe needed it.  She was feeling knocked for being prepared and I said exactly what Patara would say... do not listen to these people!   They are not going to feed your babies or come help you!'   Don't take any notice of them!    So this is what I am going to say to you....   be like Bridget,   think and plan ahead,  observe and don't trust one source of information,  use your eyes and ears and intuition!  Listen to what God is telling you!   The wise woman is not  afraid of the winter because she has faith,  is diligent, she has been working on getting ahead and prepared every way she can and taking every opportunity! 

If you are not aware I have a whole free preparedness course in my index.   We can do a lot, a little at a time, it all adds up.xxx

Comments

  1. Thank you Bridget. I had hoped you had made it through the Cyclone and the flooding that followed. I hope that the current rain event isnt causing too many issues for you. The whole of Qld seems to be on flash flooding warnings. We are about the only place in Qld with clears skies, burning sunshine and brown grass.
    Our local Council has an Emergency dashboard that you can sign up to for warnings. It also has some good info on what to do before, during and after a weather emergency. Get Ready Queenland is another Govt site that has some great lists of items to add to your Cyclone box. We used to live in Humpty Doo and lived through a few cyclones. I have kept and continue to update my Cyclone box all these years and interstate moves later.
    We used to always keep a couple of chocolates, and later boxes of 'Favourites' in the freezer. Having a little chocolate bar for the kids(and us) really helped when the clean up was happening in the horrid heat and humidity.
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful tips for getting ready for a destructive weather event. Keep on preparing and being ahead of those that decide they are going to the cafe rather than taking care of their home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. I really admire you and Bluey and absolutely love seeing your photos. They bring so much joy to my day, you are both so talented and resourceful. Lots of love, Bridget

      Delete
  2. Bridget, what a great article, thank you for sharing what you did and what you learned! And I also agree about Patara, she has a very sensible outlook, no one is coming to feed us when an emergency happens or a job/medical issue arrives. A few minutes a day of planning ahead can make a world of difference. Annabel, thank you! Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilogene for the very kind and supportive comment. It’s so true that small things really do add up. Lots of love, Bridget

      Delete
  3. Great post! I would add to get a copy from your food safety government branch or you can look at the USA website about what is safe/not safe to eat after power outages that last more than a day. It is very helpful. Thanks for all of your tips. Barb in USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a fabulous tip, Barb! Thank you so much. Adding it to my list. Thank you for being so kind. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  4. Bridget, thank you so much for the excellent article! I live in the northern/central US, so it's mostly tornadoes, high winds, and winter weather that I have to prepare for. You cover myriad situations and share valuable preparation ideas, and I'm glad to note we do many of them. I strongly believe in prepping, although hubby sometimes isn't completely on board as he thinks we're already prepared enough and I should not "go crazy" with my preps. I listen to and agree with Patera, too. Thank you to Annabel, as well, for all you do for this group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jill, it has taken me a while to get my husband on board, but experiences do help, not that we want them. Thank you for your kindness. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  5. Bridget, what a great post. Thank you so much for all the helpful information. I had to smile at the "Taylor Swift" comment, but I agree with you .... Annabel is the best. Again, thank you for sharing. Cindy Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s lovely to be with other people that are on the same page, thanks to Annabel, I’m very grateful to her. Thank you Cindy for your kind comment. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  6. Bridget your article is fantastic. You covered so many points and did it so smoothly. Thank you for all the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Glenda, thank you so much for your time to write such an uplifting message. You made my day. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  7. I often heard the words” you are so lucky ….” . That luck is preparedness, it is not luck. Planing for the future includes preparation for events that may not happen but when they do, some people like to call u lucky. I hope the weather has settled and your family are enjoying the last days of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that line often comes up and people so easily say it! Discounts the work put in!!

      Delete
    2. Dear Clare, you are such a kind person and I always love your posts on here. I always look forward to seeing your name, because you inspire me! Lots of love, Bridget

      Delete
  8. Dear Bridget, Thankyou for your inspiring post. You definitely have a lot of useful information to help us all with. It is really helpful to hear a real life situation - and recent at that. You have inspired me to think back over my preparations here. It is too easy to forget when the crisis is over. Love Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Clare, thank you for your lovely words. I feel I really need to keep preparing, probably now more so than ever. Thank you for the encouragement too. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  9. Hello Bridget
    Thanks for a great post and all the valuable reminders. I try to keep in mind the phrase' Expect the unexpected'. It has proven true in so many areas of life. We live in the UK so our weather is different from yours but torrential rain, floods and power outages are becoming more common. Things happen! I don't want to scaremonger but people in Europe are talking about the possibility of war and I am quietly stocking up and thinking ahead. If things aren't needed thats great, we will use them up anyway. My family used to tease me about the mountain of toilet rolls I keep in the understairs cupboard. Then Covid hit. Enough said?! I was able to help them all out.
    We are able to grow vegetables all year round in our area and I preserve lots of soft fruit and vegetables too. This helps the budget as well.
    Your post is a great encouragement and I admire your diligence through some tricky times.
    All good wishes to you and Annabel.
    Penny in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Penny, I am worried about war too. And expecting the unexpected is a very wise idea. I think you sound very smart, wise and diligent. I love that you had stocked up before covid, this must have proven a point. I love the sound of your preserves and your garden sounds fabulous. Thank you for your kind words. Your support and encouragement means a lot to me. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  10. A wonderful post Bridget, thank you 🙏 From Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cheryl, that is very kind of you to write that. Your support and encouragement really does mean a lot, as so few in the world can actively give that out. Thank you so much. Have a lovely day. Love, Lily

      Delete
    2. That is very kind, thank you so much Cheryl. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  11. Dear Bridget, what a great article! I have read it holding my breath - so many scary situations and so well you have navigate through them. I know it was not easy but you did while protecting your family and you were prepared.
    I did the same two years ago with writing lists down. When the war started, there were explosions near our border and many Ukrainians came to our town I made up in half an hour two separate bug out bags - one heavier for down in the cellar, to use for some nights and one for leaving town if something really bad would happen. I just ticked the words on the list and, beside the necessities (like food, water, batteries, medicine, pet food, clothes), there were also chocolate, pet*s toy, deck of cards and pen and paper to write or draw, thread and needle. I was sure everybody in the family knew the secret place where we would meet if phones were down, and we all had important phone numbers written on paper. I wouldn*t have been able to do all these in such panic without lists.
    I was prepared because I took Annabel*s preparedness course - thank you again!! I have a special note book where I took notes from all of you when an ideea was good for me.
    Penny is right, in Europe there are talks of war and I do keep prepare ahead, for another canning season, for next winter, for 2025, for another growing season, for new shoes. Anything. And I, too, accept any clothes given to us, I can always wear them, transform them, give them to somebody who likes them...And I try hard not to affect me what other people thinks - (why think so much about war or any desaster, come with us in Egypt for Easter, you only live once so buy a new car on bank credit, etc.).
    When this happens I come here and look what a special gem I find.!!!
    Than you Bridget, thank you Annabel. With much love from far away, Laura_s_world from Romania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Laura, thank you for your posts too. I always love hearing from you. You are an incredibly strong, brave and smart lady and your family is very lucky to have you. You have been through so much. It must have been so scary these past few years and to witness people that have been through such tragedies. You are right, these lists become invaluable in a crisis. And a secret meeting place is a very good idea.I come on here to remember what is important too. We have to keep looking ahead. Thank you for your lovely words and your encouragement. It means so much. Thank you. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  12. Excellent post Bridget! You are wise and I agree with everything. Every week it seems something else is looming on the horizon that we need to pay attention to. I too do my best to prepare for many situations and have also had some of them come about and I was so thankful that I listened to my inner voice and prepared. I too could get on my soap box haha, but people have to have the desire to listen. So we just do what we do and keep ourselves in good stead.
    XOXO
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, thank you for inspiring me! I am in awe of you! And always can't believe what you achieve.......and I just swoon over your garden. I love it when you get on your soap box! I need to hear from you and Annabel and others that are wise more. We are so lucky that you are willing to share, this means the world to em and makes a difference to my family and so many others. Lots of love, Bridget

      Delete
  13. Dear Bridget, thank you for sharing! You covered what it is like to be prepared. Your sharing the rain/cyclone event is a testament to your preparedness. So glad I found Annabelle, and I too listen to Patera ….we do not advertise we try to prep. Our neighbors call it healthy eating. I find it hilarious, we garden, can/dehydrate…kpthanks for the encouragement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement too. Your kind words mean a lot. I feel it is really important to listen. And it is a good idea to not advertise any preps. You just never know how people will react. and it can be very scary. Love. Bridget

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your encouragement too. Your kind words mean a lot. I feel it is really important to listen. And it is a good idea to not advertise any preps. You just never know how people will react. and it can be very scary. Love. Bridget

      Delete
  14. Dear Bridget, that was an amazing post! Do you have your own blog? You are a gifted writer. Thank you for sharing your information and wisdom. It is wonderful to hear from industrious women like yourself and Annabel and the other Bluebirds who are contributing to this beautiful blog. Much love from, Jennie🖤🖤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jennie, those words are very kind. This is a beautiful place to be in the world and I feel like I take way more than I give here. I am always amazed at the wisdom, kindness and support given here. Annabel has lead the way, how lucky we are. love, Bridget

      Delete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing, Bridget!
    The Lord really prepared you to be a wise wife even before your marriage. So sorry for all that you have been through lately, and yet God really carried you through. Thank you for allowing us all to cheer you on and learn from your neighbors' mistakes.
    Praise to you for being an excellent wife.
    Love,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Leslie, wow those words are just so lovely to read. Thank you for your generosity with me. I hadn't thought of God preparing me in that way, but yes! That is wonderful, thank you. But yes, I really want to try the hardest that I can. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  16. Dear Bridget,

    A great article...so much to ponder! You and your husband have done such a great job...what an inspiration for the rest of us!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jen, those words are just so lovely. Thank you. And it's not often how I feel at all, so thank you for such positivity. I love reading your posts every week here too. Love, Bridget.

      Delete
  17. You write beautifully, Bridget! Your heartfelt words are a joy to read!! Good on you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. People have been so kind, thoughtful and generous here. What a beautiful community Annabel has created.

      Delete
  18. This is a wonderful post, thank you for sharing Annabelle and for posting it Bridget. The line concerning the gutters spoke to me. A tiresome but necessary chore could have alleviated the neighbors water woes but instead caused her such damage and your husband risk. That type of inaction can apply to many situations, that is alot to ponder. Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Dear Annie, thank you for seeing this. You are right, with inaction comes danger to others. Thank you. These words are very wise and you have made me think and encouraged me too. Thank you for your support and kindness. Love, Bridget

      Delete
  19. DearBridget,
    This is a nicely written and informative post. Thank you for writing it. I live in a suburb of Los Angeles, our disasters are usually fires and sometimes earthquakes. We are supposed to be prepared for an extended time with no outside help. I have been thru 2 quakes that had freeway over passes collapse and block transit into and out of our area for extended periods. It is so important to be prepared and know how to get outside news during an event.
    Thanks to all of the Bluebirds for the informative comments.
    Elise

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts