Feather your Nest Friday, 15th September, 2023.

We are mid way through September already!   It has been beautiful Spring weather here.  Absolutely perfect gardening weather.   I have lots of seeds coming up,  my pumpkin patch planted and I bought two trays of seedlings to boost things along!


Going to the nursery was so much fun.  They had a great selection and everything looked just beautiful.  Our nursery has a cafe and I sat and had a cup of coffee and went through my list.  It was heavenly!

My container gardens have been so much more successful than any of my earlier "in the ground" attempts at vegetable growing.  Over time I have collected and salvaged old water troughs,  an old copper,  a cast iron bucket from a mine,  huge pots (the last two years when Andy asked me what would I like for Christmas I said big pots please!) and a huge plastic tub that was Dad's.    I have brought things in from near and far.  Then I got my stack planters and they are all planted up now with lettuces and herbs.   I have had my eye out for more containers I can use but I think I have run out of options.  At the nursery they had several pretty big planter boxes...  I ordered two of them.    So now I can expand the garden again!  

My trays of seeds are coming up fast now.  I have Zucchinis and two types of Pumpkins coming through.




Today I got most of the seedlings planted out.   I built up some good soil next to a big old rainwater tank where the ground is always damp... I planted pumpkins and used a mesh basket to keep the birds away and still let the sunlight in.

In the orchard I planted five patches of pumpkins and a huge planter box (down near the fruit trees) was filled with zucchini seedlings.

A spot with drip irrigation was filled with cucumbers and I used a big metal tree surround as the support they can climb on.


Then I got everything watered in and fertilised.   It was a great day!

I took a tray of Parsley seedlings into the trading table.  




Little lettuces are popping up everywhere so I potted some up to give to a friend.

I had bananas to use up so I made three dozen banana muffins...




I sliced the bananas I had left over and put them in the freeze drier.




I still had a lot of lemons and a few oranges so I made Lemon Butter.




I got six jars.  It turned out the brightest yellow ever and then I realised I had used two oranges.  It was so bright!

There were still lots of lemons left so I started juicing.   I tried freeze drying the juice.  That worked but is very weird.  The juice of 25 lemons was reduced down to a powder that was about 2 inches deep in a jar.  Like it shrank to nothing!   I have been using a tiny amount each day in my drinking water.  

My cook up for the week was Enchiladas.  I made four trays full and they were really yum. 




This tray is going to Chloe over the weekend and the rest into the freezer.

I went through my Spring/ Summer clothes and had a wardrobe clean out and re arrange.

I managed some sewing.     More veggie bags ...




These went into the present cupboard.  

I made myself a bag.  The bling was in my craft odds and ends and the velvet is a colour I love.  I lined it and made two huge pockets inside.




I shared in The Tuesday Afternoon Club how some people change bags to go with different outfits.   If you have a bag the same colour as your hair it always looks good as if you are coordinated and it really doesn't matter what colours you are wearing.   So I am not a person to have a lot of bags,  just a couple. Well, three now!    I have some beautiful extra plush pink velvet that I am going to make into bags next.  

Andy fixed the incubator ready for the next round.  The chicks have grown.  The bigger chicks are huge (the rescue chickens) and the hens are now laying about 10 eggs a day.

In the store I found a heap of discounted focaccia and other flat breads.  I get them,  carefully cut them in half to give me two large "pizza" bases.   Sometimes I call them door stops.   Either way this is a super easy meal!   

I also found laundry liquid that I normally would never buy but it was reduced by $18 per bottle!  I got six!  

I packed up all of the venison, labelled it and Andy hauled it all into the freezer.

Loads of weeds went to the chickens so they are very happy.  The abundance of free food for chickens is amazing.  

Thank you to everyone who encouraged Vicky!  Everyday she tells me what she managed to do  (and as for us all)  whether it is a little or a lot consistency really adds up to amazing results! 

How did you build up your home, pantry or garden this week?   Have a lovely weekend! xxx 


























Comments

  1. Annabel,
    What a full and productive week you have had. I love your bag, it is beautiful.
    This week was catch up and winter prep week here. I had doctor appointments that went better than expected. Though due to the shortages of one of my meds they won't have any in for at least 3 to 4 months, happy I might have enough to make it till then.
    Husband is sealing our patio and walkway for the winter, I told him I knew we had an old good wallpaper tub that he could use for the roller to clean it so he can save it for other uses. He finally found it in his shed, buried of course behind many other items. At least it showed he needed a good cleaning and did take out a lot of un-needed cardboard boxes.
    I'm still working on winter prep inside our home, changing linens on beds and deep cleaning room by room. I am also going through pantries and organizing where they got out of hand and making lists of holes we need to fill.
    I found a canning jar full of buttons and 6 zippers in a bag in my laundry room, must have put them there when cleaning a bag from travel, it was a nice surprise to add to my sewing pantry.
    We have been eating out of pantry and only buying loss leaders at the grocery stores as most prices have sky rocketed. So slowly but surely rebuilding our food pantry. Love when we find an unexpected markdown.
    All in all we had a good week.
    My best to all the Bluebirds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear... I think this is Rosanne, forgive me if I am wrong! Getting ready for winter is a big job. We are getting ready for summer. I am a bit worried about summer actually. Fires are my worry. But currently the weather is gorgeous and I am enjoying that.
      Deals are harder to find here too especially food deals. I hope to grow and trade a lot. Last summer we had a lot of produce. So I am hoping and praying! Have a lovely weekend! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  2. Dear Annabel,
    What an exciting week you've had. You have really feathered your nest in all areas! Love the bag. I never thought of matching my bags/purse to my hair. How clever!
    My week has been a busy and abundant one. At church a friend approached me. She had extra produce to share from her garden. And would I like some?
    Well, I was at her house the next day! She gave me a ton of tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, beets, and green beans. The kids helped me snap beans Tuesday. I froze 5lbs. The beet greens are daily treats for the chickens. I have canned 1/2 of the tomatoes and have 14 jars so far (mostly quarts). We have enjoyed BLT sandwiches and meatballs in the tomato sauce.
    We are enjoying home baked cookies and bread as well (thanks to my daughter, Sophie). I struggle with baking in the midst of canning. My youngest son, Connor, learned how to make pancakes and waffles this year. So he is whipping out breakfasts for us. Nice to have another cook in the house! I can work at other chores while he cooks.
    On a morning walk, we picked some chanterelle mushrooms! I dried some and gave a gallon to my eldest daughter. I still have a gallon of fresh to saute for pasta. God is good!

    Blessings to all the Bluebirds,
    Leslie (Ohio)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Leslie, How helpful that your daughter can be baking while you are canning! Also how nice the lady offered you some of her garden produce! It sounds like beautiful selection too!
      Connor making the waffles and pancakes is very helpful too! This is all very good! Great on the mushrooms as well. It was a week of a lot of produce coming into the house! Have a great weekend! With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  3. Hello Annabel and everyone,

    Those seedlings and plants look amazing, Annabel! Also all of that food is making me hungry. Such a great idea for the markdown bread - I check our bakery section when I go shop, but it is mostly day-old donuts and such. One day I will make an Annabel-type find!

    I had a baking day this week (challah, muffins, beef tips with noodles, bittersweet brownies with cherry jam) and made my husband's birthday cake this morning. It is a chocolate cake with peppermint buttercream and dark chocolate ganache - I'm not a good cake decorator at all, but it will taste wonderful. One of his favorite treats is fudge grahams, so I made him a batch of those as a surprise, too.

    Another evening was a lawn and garden day - it has cooled off a bit and the veggies and strawberries are loving it. Lots more green beens and a few peppers and cucumbers! I transplanted some more strawberry cuttings from runners and started several more - it is so satisfying to see the new plants do well! I hope they overwinter ok. I started some new rosemary and apple mint cuttings, and started putting down clover in bare patches of ground - it has been so hot and dry that everything not receiving water has died back. I will only water herb, veggie, and flower plants, so there are some big bare spots. The clover seed was planted three days ago and already is growing tiny sprouts - I am thrilled! This is a variety that is supposed to do well here as a ground cover and tolerate lack of rain once it is established.

    We made a trip to Aldi to add to the pantry, mostly canned goods and frozen veggies. The meat and fresh produce sections were very low! One of the reach-in freezers was empy, too. Maybe it was in between delivery days, but it did make me take a second look. At another shop I got some pretty new bedding for my dad at 75% off, and I used a 60% off coupon to order a bolt of cross-stitch fabric. I will hand-dye most of this and then use it for stitching.

    We took a trip out to see how my mare is doing. She is still sore, but very bright, alert, and happy, nickering at everyone and giving kisses. She is not impressed by her new diet restrictions, but she still looks good. I am encouraged and hopeful, and it was nice for my husband to get to visit with both the horses. He has continued to feel pretty good, and had the energy to do a few things like visit the county fair on the weekend. Answered prayers that he is able to eat things he likes and do some fun things!

    Crafts-wise, I finished a knitted cowl and cabled fingerless mitts for the gift cupboard, put some more stitches in a shawl, and cast on a pair of socks. A small chipped-up tea chest is starting to get a makeover with new paint and I will eventually add some pretty transfers or decoupage to the top.

    I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
    <3
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kathy, I hope your husband had a very happy birthday! I know he would have loved his cake and fudge. You do such nice things for him.
      Going to the fair and out to see the horses both sound like beautiful outings! It is fantastic your husband felt up to these!
      Your gift cupboard must be looking beautiful. I very much want to see the tea chest! The linens for your Dad are great too. You had a very good week I am glad to hear! With much love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  4. Dear Annabel,
    Well, another inspirational letter! Makes my mouth water to get going! Just when I’m ready, rain starts again! And our trip is 10 days away, so seeds will have to wait! The sprinklers and daughter will keep everything else going!
    Seems there isn’t as much give away items on trash day here! Used to get pots and other items but that has slowed! And our thrift stores don’t seem interested in that type of thing! The heat here really takes it out of plastic and cement or metal is too heavy! Wish I had an old fashioned dump to visit!
    I did buy an instant black material raised bed. I thought I’d put in back where it’s just empty with weedy grass. That way, the new bed will smother the grass while I produce a bed of ?? It’s round and like 4ft across. I’ll let you know!!
    That’s all except moon vine blooming but I forget to go out after dark to see it! 3 buds, so maybe I’ll get free seeds? Have some gorgeous deep burgundy zinnias! Huge! I’ve always loved zinnias!
    Well, Bluebirds, try to keep up with Annabel! Ha!
    Love your new “bag.” Had a client once who wanted to crochet chickens. Decided to use those old Egg-shaped container for nylon stockings. The pattern? “Oh, I just started crocheting a chicken!” So cute, too! I’m jealous!!
    Going to Canada finally again after covid - seeing old friend and cruise home to Ft. Lauderdale! Can’t afford it but……..

    Love to you, Annabel, and all the Bluebirds,
    Rick in Florida and Donna in N. Indiana
    XXXXXOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rick,
      Have a fantastic trip! Probably you are away and you are getting many comments on Donnas post to print out when you get home! I am going to have to look up about this moon vine... I am intrigued! I would be suggesting a nice veggie patch for your raised bed! With love, Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  5. What a productive week you had Annabel! And the gorgeous velvet bag looks straight out of a fashion magazine! Beautiful work! This week I have been productive at work, but not much around the home, which makes me so glad for the weekend when I can focus on feathering my nest. I definitely need to use up some overripe bananas and make some muffins! Thank you for the inspiration. Blessings to all Bluebirds! Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Teresa, banana muffins are good! I hope you get some weekend time. There are only so many hours in the day, this is the problem. That and tiredness! Thanks for your kind words. With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  6. Dear Annabel and lovely Bluebirds, I miss you all, talking and presenting our days of the week. There are moments in a day when I found myself thinking what are you doing? Like with good friends...... My days are still very busy, I feel tired and I don*t like it but I look tired. Oh, well... I love how my cellar and pantry looks now - a LOT of jars filled with goodies! A good news is one of my coleague from work have started canning, preserving and knitting because of me. She has asked for advice and we talk and exchanged receipes so, one good thing done. The bad news is the future grain traffic from Ucraine - my little peacefull town will be heavilly marked and especially my street - big trucks will drive a lot here. Also, our farmers will be affected, the prices are very low for them and many are considering closing down. We are announced to prepare for a long war near our borders. My evenings see me inside painting, knitting or crocheting, it is already dark at 8 o*clock but still warm. Tomatoes, zuchinies, beans, chillies, cellery, parsley, taragon, mint, hollyhocks seeds, parsley seeds were harvested and the lettuce is growing strongly. The chickens are laying and all my animals are healthy. School have started this week, another task for our family. See you next week, Lots of love, Laura_s_world from Romania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Laura, All your work to fill your pantry shelves has been a lot, I am so glad it is looking good. You do sound tired. But inspiring someone else is just wonderful and also it will give you a friend who is doing the same things maybe to even trade with! Certainly you can encourage each other.
      I have followed about how your town is where the grain trucks are going. This has had me quite worried. We will keep on praying protection over you. You have so much lovely produce still coming in and seeds saved! Also the chickens laying is so good! I hope you still have a lot of produce to harvest and enjoy. Your evenings sound lovely. I would love to be sitting there chatting with you while we both work on our projects! With much love, Annabel.xxx

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Annabel, for everything.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts