Bluebirds on the Ground. An update from Denise in Bedfordshire, England.

Denise from Bedforshire was our second reporter this year.   You can read her report here.   

So much has happened since then that Denise said to me to "please tell everyone to get ready,  for me I believe it's just the start."


Denise messaged me last week and things had dramatically unfolded.  In one week some of her vegetable prices had risen by 50%.    Her food budget,  even with being really really careful, has now tripled since this time last year.   

Denise grew a lot last summer but there is very little left in her freezer now,  at the end of winter.   There is some time before she can plant let alone harvest again.   She will be planting all she possibly can this year.  Her Grandparents called this time "the hungry gap."   The period between when last years harvest was low or non existent and when a new harvest comes in.    Denise says the UK is now in the hungry gap.

The supermarkets have introduced limits on what you can buy.  Denise is allowed three packets of vegetables or fruit but when she went shopping this was in theory only as the choice was very poor and also what was there was in poor condition.  

The Environment Secretary said people should just make do with Turnips.  So no help there.   I would encourage anyone interested in WHY there are so many issues to research.   It is a lot of things.   For instance one is the price of electricity.   One of the largest tomato growers in the UK said that it has empty glasshouses for the first time in 75 years... because it is just too expensive to warm them now.   Another issue is fertiliser... shortages and prices... which are world wide problems.   I am telling you because I don't want you to think "oh this is England and I don't have to worry" because the cost of fuel, electricity, gas and fertiliser... have they gone up in your country?  Probably yes!   This will translate on to the shelves.   These are mostly widespread issues.   In the city it is easy to not consider that getting food on to the shelves takes fuel and energy,  labor and fertiliser.    If they have ALL gone up in price at once... then the cost and availability of food is going to take an enormous hit.   When something becomes too expensive to produce then it is likely to just disappear.  If it is not viable, it's not viable.  We are at the beginning of this not the end.    Lea Valley near London is known as the salad bowl.   It has grown the salad supplies for years but now with high costs growers have applied to knock down acres and acres of greenhouses and just sell them for housing developments.    That is the reality.  Things have changed and rapidly.  Alternative sources such as greenhouses in the Netherlands are in the same trouble.  Shortages mean price increases.   It is really the same to a family that cannot afford the food or cannot find it... either way it is not on the table.   It is not an easy fix.   Then you get people who say well just buy something else.   When MILLIONS of people "just buy something else" the alternatives also become low in supply.   You cannot take a lot of out the supply chain with no effect.    We currently have missing items too especially potato related.   Once I became used to "the new normal" I made it my motto that if I can't get what I want to get what I can get.  Rather than run low and hold out continue to build up your pantry as you can with what you can.

Jamie Oliver just began a new series called One Pound Wonders.   The first recipe I looked at is called No oven Pizza.  It's actually brilliant.  It begins with a description that lets you know you don't have to turn the oven on.  This says it all.  Turning the oven on is now a fearful thing due to the costs.   Good for him on trying to give people ideas that might help.    I was talking to a friend today and she also said she very seldom puts the oven on.  And my friend is a very good cook!  She cooks a lot!  The oven is too expensive and so we have moved to smaller appliances that will do the job.   For this to be such a thing that chefs are designing no oven recipes.... well that just blows me away.  

Denise has two chickens and is trying to get a couple more.  She says feed for the chickens was 8.99 (Pounds)  last year but is 24 Pounds now.  However it is still worth it because even if not cheap at least she knows she will have some eggs.   She also plans to plant absolutely all she can as soon as Spring weather kicks in.  Denise's farm friend had 54 chickens and a week ago a fox got in and killed 50 of them!  What timing!   Denise I do appreciate you keeping us updated and letting me share the info.   This gives us all a lot to consider.  

It is pretty sobering that in the space of just under eight weeks things are quite a lot harder.    Denise's husband can go fishing and hunt rabbits on their friends farm.   Like in the war years and Great Depression having friends or family on a farm is a big help.  

Well,  I have tomatoes, zucchini and pears to process.  I am going to get busy tomorrow morning! xxx







Comments

  1. Horrifying to hear, please thank Denise for me for sharing! Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am on the other side of London in Essex. I went to Aldi 2 weeks ago , I have been ill with the latest lurge since then,and I could get everything on my list. The prices had gone up by 70% in 2 years but everything was available and there were no empty shelves. I will be going again on Tuesday. I will let you know how I get on. The problem with fresh produce is that they have had snow in Spain which they are not used to, also the dutch have not planted there greenhouses because of the difficulties getting fuel. This is the trouble when we only produce under half our food in the UK. We have no food security , an old hobby horse of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Denise that is sobering. Thank you for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Annabel, Denise and all the Bluebirds,

    These times are scary and I, too, think it is only the beginning. We still have fresh fruits and vegetables on shelves or at the local market, but of course the prices keep going up, not down. There are many people living paycheck to paycheck and if this prices continue it will be harder and harder. Especially elderly and families with many children.
    Spring is coming in a few weeks and I expect to find some good deals on vegetables and be smart to put away for winter from now because our farmers say they can not produce the same amount of food as before, due to high price of energy, taxes on salaries or even lack of fertilisers, or they would not work on the same amount of fields because they can sell their produce the same as Ucrainean harvest is sold. It is another part of the world, the battle of cereals in our part of Europe. For me next autumn/winter looks very serious.
    For English people, I know the shock walking into a supermarket and facing bare shelves and no food. We had times here, I remember as a teenager girl, when a shop would have meters and meters of empty shelves and just a few Vietnamese prawns. And when one lives in a concrete block of flats it is harder - like Denise said, it is wonderful to have a friend or two with a garden or a farm. Sometimes they needed help in the garden and we were paid in garden bounty. The best!
    I admire Jamie Oliver for doing his part to help in these hard times. I am watching closely his page, he has a few dishes with just 3-5 ingredients and very delicious. Chapeau monsieur Oliver!
    Thank you Denise and Annabel for the warning. It is good to get busy now! I will rewatch The Wartime Farm (I loved the whole series) for some new ideas.
    Have a nice week everyone, Laura_s_world from Romania

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the update! It just goes how quickly things can escalate. The food industry has really been taking a hit. I agree that anything at all that we can add to the pantry we should.
    XOXO
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...eye opening post Annabel. I have not been seeing too many shortages in Florida, USA. Eggs have gone down in price lately (somewhat). But, from past experience, what is happening in Europe, we know will be coming our way. I live in a city and have no garden or animals. My pantries and freezer are full, but I still worry that we don't have "enough." I don't feel the need to grow spices, as I have a lot already purchased in jars. In some ways, I think I am living in fear. I am 75 and my husband is 79.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pray for our United Kingdom and European sisters to find sources of food and to have wisdom to utilize and stretch it wisely. It just seems unfathomable that this is happening all over, especially in the UK right now.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Denise and Annabel.
    This information really focuses my mind on not letting any little piece of tired veg or fruit go to waste.
    Take care everyone !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello bluebirds, i am sorry for what is going on in England and the suffering these dear people have.

    I wanted to tell you that you can purchase an indoor hydroponic tower garden that grows beautiful vegetables in only 30 inches of floor space, and uses far far less water than an outdoor garden, with low energy led lights. One brand is called the Tower Garden made by Juice Plus company. It will pay for itself in no time, and this is the tax refund season.

    Another tower is called Lettuce Grow. Both are very good. You can grow vegetables and even strawberries in only water and minerals.

    You can even put your tower in the basement or garage, ad long as it doesn't freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was talking to a Salvation Army Officer today and he said that they are struggling to feed the increasing amounts of people seeking help because there isn’t the excess stock of food available because of the supply shortages.
    Add to that the housing situation is seeing more people living in their cars or even Tents!!!
    Let’s pray that the Gods will give us some direction and that we continue to look after each other.
    Janine in Colac Australia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Annabel,

    Thank you for posting this update from Denise. It worries me especially to hear of growing land being sold off for development...once it's gone, it's gone! Prices are just ridiculous and going up each week, even though here the price of gas has gone down from its peak and no one is really growing anything right now. (eg. flour from Canada...keeps jumping in price, even though it's the same flour that was grown LAST summer, not right now). The weird thing is absolutely no government planning to take care of food security, as opposed to, for example, during WWII. Obviously, as seen by all these "on the ground" reports, we really don't see anything in the way of government intervention, except to exacerbate the problem (by clamping down on fertilizer use, for example), so it's up to us to do what we can! All of these reports and the subsequent tips from "Nana" are really helpful to spur us on to be creative and industrious. Thank you, Annabel, and all Bluebirders!

    xx Jen in NS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing again, Denise. So sobering. This makes us all dedicated to being more diligent in saving and producing.
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Annabel,
    Thank you for posting the update from Denise. We live in a farming community and it is sad to say that some of the farmland is being sold off for housing developments as well. With the prices for the homes that I've seen I wonder who is going to buy those houses in this economy. I echo Jen in NS post concerning the food security and how helpful these Bluebirds on the Ground and Saving Like Nana. Sharing like this benefits us all. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have read this post and comments with great interest. I am 77 years old and not in a position to do much more than I already do. However, I have been giving a lot of thought to how I can maximize my tiny vegetabe garden. I have already decided to grow tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets this year. This will free up space in the raised bed for more vegetables. If this works, I plan to fill the space with a couple of butternut squash plants. Hard squash is a good keeper, which is a bonus. Also, I pretty much wrecked my strawberry bed when I attempted to rehab it in the fall of 2021. I am going to plant what survived in one end of the strawberry bed and give the rest of the space over to more veggies.

    I started seeds indoors last Sunday. The lettuce and tomatoes have already sprouted! This has made me ridiculously happy, LOL! I will need to plant out the lettuce before my last frost date, but I can cover the plants with a sheet if/whenever frost is expected.

    I don't pretend to be an expert on British agriculture or gardening, but I do read a lot of British gardening books! When I read A Green and Pleasant Land, which was about wartime gardens, I learned that the Brits--if they work at it--can garden for 8-9 months of the year. (I am lucky to get 100 frost-free days). The government advised gardeners to plant greens and root vegetables to maximize nutrients and keeping qualities.

    Going forward, I think every little bit of self-reliance we can develop is a good thing. This doesn't mean we all have dig up our lawns and plant a big garden (although it wouldn't hurt, LOL). Going forward, self-reliance in any and all areas might be the difference between surviving and thriving.

    I would like to thank Annabel for this blog and all of the Bluebirds that comment for getting me thinking!

    -Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maxine - I have a smallish raised bed garden and containers too. I was able to maximize my garden space by growing squash.cucumbers, green beans and anything that has a vine vertically using tomato cages to contain them. Cookie

      Delete
    2. Cookie, my raised beds are about a foot away from a 4 ft. chain link fence that encloses the dog run and I am hoping to use it to trellis the squash (it worked for the volunteer cantaloupes I had last year). I am fortunate to have a drip irrigation system and I am planning to butt the tomato buckets up against the beds and run a line out to each one. I really think these things will increase my garden without too much extra work.

      Delete
    3. Maxine, we've been using 5 gallon buckets for our tomatoes the last 3 years; it's worked really well. We added drain holes, gravel in the bottom, then a layer of landscape cloth (old cocoa basket liners work, too). We refresh the soil with a mix of new and old every year, etc.

      We live in the woods near a lovely brook in Connecticut--lots of trees, a ton of rock & ledge--so our garden is on our front lawn in the buckets, assorted planters and a couple of raised beds (all hidden from the street by trees). We aren't growing all we need (yet), but it's more every year! My husband just retired and has really got the gardening bug now; I can see the garden expanding even more ( plus less grass to mow 😏).

      Good luck!
      --Sharon

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the update Denise. Oh my goodness life is starting to be a very interesting journey.
    I was helping my very pregnant daughter do a few things yesterday. She had some disposable nappy packages that were open. These nappies were now too small for Spencer. Being open the packages cannot be donated at the op shops. I contacted a friend with a Grandie about the same age as Spencer but a lot smaller. She very happily accepted the nappies. Her family are doing it very tough at the moment. I came home and put together a package of clothes the little girls had grown out, and some shoes. These are going to their new home today and my friends Grandie will very happily have what we no longer need.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much, Denise. It really helps us to prepare by hearing about what is happening in your country. In OK, I have also seen more housing developments going up and they are trying to turn rural acreage around my town - where a lot of family farms are - into another turnpike that we do not want or need. It is scary!

    <3
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Denise.
    I was unsure about whether to bother planting winter veggies but this has decided me. I have heaps of seeds here so I'll be dragging my mini greenhouse out from the garden shed and setting it up.
    I'll be visiting England and Ireland in September/October, but if I start seeds before I go, I'm hoping my son who lives with me will not only keep himself and the dogs alive, but will also look after the seedlings.
    It's a bit like that old Chinese curse/blessing: "May you live in interesting times..."

    ReplyDelete
  18. My son and his wife quadrupled their garden from last year's size. I have been feeling anxious about being unable to garden. I have pots and two raised beds to put together. I want to get started! I'm going to make it a point to look for a dehydrator. Freezer driers are nice but far out of my budget area. I have managed to fill my new larger upright freezer and I am so proud of that fact because it was barely half full when I got it. I've done it all with sales and being careful to pick up what I could rather than what I wanted. Next I mean to get started on my plan to restock my pantry and get those things in good supply. And yes, I'll be making a point of getting out there and planting something to eat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts