30 Days to better Preparedness. Day 9. Production/Self reliance.

 Are you still with me?   We have the weekend ahead so this will give us all a little time to catch up.  We can't complete everything each day... almost all our projects are the kind that are ongoing.  What we are doing is getting many balls rolling in the right direction! 

Today I want to talk about increasing our self reliance.  So far we have considered a lot about having meals and pantry items stored up.   Now we are getting those things in place we need to think about some things that we could supplement our diets and lives with in lean times.  

In the city, when I began,  I started pots of herbs.  At least I could always go to the back door and pick a handful of freshness and goodness to improve just about any meal.  If we were living out of our pantry supplies primarily imagine how fresh things from the garden would be so good!   Most of us can grow something even if it is in a pot or windowsill.

I like to have on my radar every fruit tree and source of foods to forage in the area.   Think of what is in your area that could possibly supplement your diet and food pantry?   If you live near the sea could someone in your family go fishing?    We live near some inland water and it is possible to get yabbies.  (Like small lobsters kind of thing...)  

Would hunting be something that is a possibility?  Do you have rabbits?  What is around in the location you live in that could be useful to you?

Now think about what happened in the war years.  Even though there are some variations our countries all had various Dig for Victory campaigns to get everyone fully involved in producing and processing food.   There were minimal supplies for each family and rations were introduced.  How well your family did very much depended on your ability to supplement those rations.   Fishing, hunting,  growing veggies,  picking fruit, canning, dehydrating and every thing you can think of was undertaken with a sense of great importance.  It was important.  It was huge.  It was really your patriotic duty to do all you could.   There is a great series on you tube called War Time Farm (and others) that is really interesting on the subject.

The more we can produce ourselves the less we are negatively affected by supply chain issues or whatever else might come.  Aside of being miles ahead for our own families we can help others.  We have something to gift and trade.  I have many times been asked why do I produce more than we need?   To help others!!   

From when I had my pots of herbs to now living on the farm I have worked on one thing after another to increase our self reliance.   It is one of my goals that has me up late at night figuring out what to do next. 

I am very blessed to be on a farm and know not everyone can be.  My Grandparents went through the Great Depression on a regular residential block and they grew so much, had chickens etc.  We do what we can where we are.  

I got chickens.   Even two or three chickens enormously improve your food security.   But I got chickens then some more and then some more and then some ducks.  Chicken maths 1+ 3 + 2 = 30 or so. 


We had some fruit trees here.  We were told they never produce a thing.  But I watered them and looked after them and had a huge crop of apples and two pear trees covered in pears.   I planted fruit trees right away and more each year.  Now I have more than 20 fruit trees.


I got in a herb and veggie garden with in 3 months of moving here we were harvesting.  Everyday I work on improving the soil.   Then we added raised garden beds and used some big boxes for planters as well.



As we got to know the area I watched every tree that had blossoms and followed it up to see what kind of fruit it had.  The first year I found quite a lot of roadside and old homestead apple trees.   Last summer I found so many more!   Andy made a pole with a tin on the end.  With that and a ladder I can reach really high and pick so much fruit!   I never go anywhere with out a basket, gloves, scissors just in case.


It is honestly amazing what you come across and that other people overlook.  

We let a Beekeeper use some of our land and so we have plenty of honey. 

I am aiming to breed my chickens in Spring.  I have roosters now so I should get some chicks!

Apart from food we can produce goods or even services.  

If you are able to mend of sew then this would give you a valuable resource! 

If you are good at fixing things, preserving, baking, soap making or any needed product then you have a product.

This is really worth thinking over.   Consider your meals in the freezer and your pantry stock... and now what you can supplement that with.    What might you have overlooked?    

Here is a good example.   Jacqui told me she had a great lot of good looking Stinging Nettle.   She was game to give it a go!  

She made a dish that was delicious!  





Thank you so much Jacqui this is a great example of something we could easily overlook!  

What are you currently producing?   What would you like to be producing with a little bit of work to get you started?   What could you add to the table that you have access to from friends and families gardens or from foraging?  

If you had family and friends seeking to trade/barter goods what could you bring to that table? 
What do you have in abundance that you could use to help someone in need?

All good things to think on over the weekend!   Keep aware of what is going on and put your energy into keeping the home fires burning.  xxx 






Comments

  1. Even though I can't do a lot I can do a little and these posts keep me thinking. I love your farm but appreciate hearing what you did when you didn't have a farm. Enjoy your weekend. Thank you.. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a grape vine and have gotten copious amounts of grapes off of it this summer. I got 3 gallons of grapes juice out of my picking. I have so far made 15 8oz jars of grapes jelly. We also had squash plants, I ate plenty and froze a lot for winter. I had 2 pepper plants that yielded 14 green bell peppers. I plan on making salsa using them. I had lots of excess fruit and vegetable that I have given away this summer. We still have tomatoes on the vine, waiting for them to turn red.
    I have a great niece that raises rabbits, for meat so we can always get meat there. My Hubby is a hunter so we generally have venison. I have pots of herbs waiting to be picked; peppermint, sage lavender and spearmint. I need to start some more.

    I'm always on the look out for free fruit to pick. Lots of apple and pear trees around here. My neighbor gave me a jar of honey from his bees. We kind of share back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a bit of a set up within our family here. Katie's in laws get some vegies and a dozen eggs each week from our garden. Whenever they go fishing we get fish. We currently have eight good sized packages of frozen fresh caught fish. This system works well for us.
    I like that you included things you can do as an exchange for others. I take up the trousers and do mending for a few local widowers. I get paid with fish. I like fishing but havent had to do any for a long time. I have a fishing kayak so can get out on the water and not just have to fish off the beach.
    We also exchange vegies with out neighbours. They grow some items that we dont and we some they dont.
    I have been looking at what foods could be foraged here. We have a few stands of Bunya Pines around town that are on public land. I havent quite worked out when the cones fall just yet. I am keeping my eye out for these. The cones release Bunya Nuts. These taste similar to sweet potato when steamed. They can then be dehydrated, ground and used as flour.
    Our back door neighbours have a large mulberry tree hanging over our fence. It has lots of fruit on it. These will be harvested by us as soon as they are ripe. I will be freezing the fruit to use for stewing and for using in muffins and cakes.
    This is a good topic and is one that I am going to be thinking on a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two small raised beds, one for strawberries and the other for tomatoes, bush beans, a hill of zucchini and a little bit of chard. It wouldn't feed us for a year, but it definitely adds to the pantry. My garden did not do well this year because of drip irrigation issues. When I finally solved the problem, and the veggies were getting more water, we started to get ripe tomatoes. So far I have canned 10 pints, and I'll probably get at least that many more. Canning 3 pints at a time seems like a waste of time, but it doesn't take long, or much effort, and it adds up. Also, you can use smaller kettles that come to a boil faster and are easier to clean.

    In the past, at the end of the season, I have picked whatever tomatoes were still ripe (usually several different kinds) and made and canned the most delicious tomato juice. I always make jam.

    I also mend, and I can sew, although I don't do much of it. I have fabric and patterns. If I worked at it, I'm sure I could trade mending for eggs.

    I haven't had much luck foraging. There really aren't many abandoned fruit trees in my area. And when I went mushroom hunting (I can identify morels), I found only a few. At our other house, I was overrun every year with apples and pears. I've planted dwarf fruit trees here, but they aren't bearing yet (should next year).

    I can follow a recipe, so I probably could make soap. Just never felt the urge! But if I needed it, I'd do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Annabel, I'm still with you and again thank you for the time you are putting into all these posts. I was unable to get my honey Saturday gone because of Victoria's 6th lockdown. I was so disappointed. But those awesome bee keepers found a way where I thought there was none, they phoned me yesterday to meet at a highway they were travelling on to collect some of their bees, for me to get it. So my 20 litres of good, pure, natural, yummy honey is safely in my kitchen. This amount lasted me 2 years last time. This morning I was watching a youtube video on making medicinal tinctures. The lady reminded me that natural honey has antibacterial properties which is also good for cuts and wounds. Well two minutes later I cut myself. So now my finger is bandaged up with a little bit of honey. Strawberries were on sale for .99cents a punnet on my last trip to town. I bought 6. As this week got steadily more out of control with homeschooling etc, I wondered why I thought I could fit jam making in. Well just now I have 6 jars of strawberry jam cooling on the bench. It was worth pushing myself. I have been thinking on all these things you teach and trying my best to do a little of something each day. I am so happy I said yes a year and a half ago when my MIL asked if I wanted my chooks back. I have 14 now and get up to 11 eggs at day at the moment. It certainly helps. I woke in the middle of the night with inspiration for a silly little nonsense newsletter to send to all the small people and some big ones in our family while we are all locked away from each other. I posted these yesterday with a specially selected FREE coloring printout for each individual child with a little message from me. There has been an outbreak at a town near us but I have enough in my pantry to hunker down at home. I know many people in mandatory quarantine. Because it is a small area, the amount of people isolating is effecting businesses, even supermarkets, which would have been scary for people who didn't have much in the way of food at home. Keep nesting bluebirds, love Clare

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am used to look around with eagle eye for everything I can use. When we go to the river my husband is fishing and I am foraging for fruits, medicinal plants and some grass for my rabbit. Well, I brought home even some interesting looking rocks and used in the yard or garden. I plant in the garden and in everything: buckets, old pots, anything that can hold soil and water has herbs, mint, chilli peppers, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red currant, strawberries, etc. I knit, crochet, paint, draw and can pickles and jam that I sometimes use as gifts, barter or sale. As a matter of fact, all my highschool years I was knitting for my classmates and their friends and had my pocket money. I think I am on the track here. Hugs and good wishes for you and all the bluebirds, Laura_s_world from Romania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I know times have been hard in Romania, and I believe you when you say you are used to looking around with an eagle eye for everything you can use. I would love it if you would let us know what are some of the things you find and how you use them. Most of us in the US have led relatively easy lives and AREN'T used to keeping out that eagle eye, and I'm sure you could teach us a lot! (Heck, you might even teach Annabel something...although she thinks of plenty on her own, LOL).

      Delete
  7. Annabel this is a wonderful list of ideas. One thing I think I might try is making my own soap. I've never done this before and think not only would it be useful but fun to. Foraging in our red zone is another idea I will look into. We are going to be taking our back lawn out and making it low maintenance for the future. Some small fruit trees in barrels would be perfect.

    Mandy(NZ)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I moved to the state of Missouri almost three years ago. In between losing my MIL and my dad, having two major foot surgeries, opening a rug weaving business/studio moving my mom and downsizing her estate, I have been learning to grow a garden in this very rocky (gravel pit) soil. I feel blessed that God has given me the strength to push on and learn. I am planting lots of sunflowers to supplement my livestock, I have milk goats, chickens and fiber sheep. I love this series and am so thankful that Annabel is taking time to teach us to think outside the box! All of the negative things that popped up in my life were ordered of the Lord and they came and left just at the right time so that I could concentrate on the next thing. Ladies, you are all so inspiring and motivating! I don’t personally know you but I feel love for you! Be strong! Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  9. I moved to the state of Missouri almost three years ago. In between losing my MIL and my dad, having two major foot surgeries, opening a rug weaving business/studio moving my mom and downsizing her estate, I have been learning to grow a garden in this very rocky (gravel pit) soil. I feel blessed that God has given me the strength to push on and learn. I am planting lots of sunflowers to supplement my livestock, I have milk goats, chickens and fiber sheep. I love this series and am so thankful that Annabel is taking time to teach us to think outside the box! All of the negative things that popped up in my life were ordered of the Lord and they came and left just at the right time so that I could concentrate on the next thing. Ladies, you are all so inspiring and motivating! I don’t personally know you but I feel love for you! Be strong! Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, I am wondering if you have an email address or a blog. I'd like to contact you. I have relatives in MO and I'm wondering where you live. Thanks.

      Delete
  10. I added two Aerogardens so that I can grow indoors all winter. Right now we have herbs and soon I will start some lettuces. I may also try some Tiny Tim tomatoes. Everything grows amazingly fast so we have been harvesting and drying the herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Annabel, ah, this topic is far more challenging for me ;). I can cook and freeze meals, or stock up the pantry, but foraging and gardening is a real stretch for me! I was going to write that I live in the desert Southwest of the US and use that as an excuse but Brandy at the Prudent Homemaker lives in the desert as well and she grows a lot! So no excuses from me ;). I will think about this topic this weekend and make some goals. Thank you so much for this series!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, me again! I finally caught up with the pantry post and my to do item of figuring out how many meals I could make! Just did it! I just did main meals and that added to at least 45, plus I can make soup from all the carcass items and have lots of rice, beans and tuna fish for lunches ;). Thank you for the action item, I really feel very reassured knowing so many dinners are sitting in the freezer and pantry (and I am up to 12 complete meals for the two of us, already cooked and in the freezer)….I can’t fit anything else in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annabel, you have hit the nail on the head again this week! You've given us a lot to think about (and a lot to be thankful for as we are on our to getting there!). I am amazed at the nettle recipe, how frugal and creative! Today I saw a huge amount of dandelion growing wild whilst out on my walk and thought about how many times I've seen it used in recipes and homemade medicines. I may have to go back with a basket and my secateurs! I've done a little recap of our challenge participation again over at my blog if anyone is interested:
    https://itsaclassicallife.blogspot.com/2021/08/30-day-preparedness-challenge-week-2.html

    Really looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us next week!

    Kirsty x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just spent the past 10 days in bed so much of my garden is ruined from high heat & no water. But my herbs are hardy. I do need to pull out the dehydrator & process some herbs.

    I also made plans with a friend today to make basil pesto with her next month. She has an over abundance of basil & I have a recipe I want to try to so we'll make it together & share.

    Things I can forage in my neighborhood: wild blackberries, raspberries, elderberries & mulberries. Morel mushrooms. I'm sure there are wild herbs but I'm not familiar with foraging them....something I need to learn. I do have two fruit trees but we never get one piece of fruit off them. Between the deer, squirrels & birds they eat every piece. We've tried many things to protect them. We live in an area with an overabundance of wildlife.

    Which means maybe I should invest in some traps? For squirrel & rabbit? We also live on a lake so plenty of fresh fish..catfish, bass, perch & crappie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to forage! Thanks for sharing the Nettle recipe.
    My children bring home fruit they have foraged, which leads to a picking party. We live in the city, but there is a park nearby. We've picked apples, grapes, mulberries, elderberries, and crab-apples.
    Last week we passed an apple tree that was being neglected. I walked up to the front door and asked the man if we could pick. So I arranged to pick for the price of a homemade apple pie. And he had 2 trees to pick from! On the way home, we saw a sign "Free Apples". Pulled over and arranged to pick from that man! We came home with 5 large buckets worth and more to come. Having my 4 youngest with me to help, the work went fast. While my husband is in poor health, he still was able to make me a picker from and old broom handle and pail.
    Because we are a large family, I receive many blessings of leftovers that people don't want from events. I rarely ask for these. God is good! But he has taught me to be humble and grateful when offered what I use to call "handouts." I always thank the giver with some homemade goody: bread, baked goods, or jam.
    Thanks for encouraging us to barter!
    Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder what herbs everyone would recommend to grow? In case you can’t get to the store wondering what would be good to grow. I could never live with Onion and Garlic. But wondered what was high on everyone else’s list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder what herbs everyone would recommend to grow? In case you can’t get to the store wondering what would be good to grow. I could never live with Onion and Garlic. But wondered what was high on everyone else’s list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We produce beef. We have a good friend who is the only one we let hunt on our land. He has & would supply us with venison. I would barter another neighbor for milk and another for eggs. This year I took off from a big garden thinking I would get offers of tomatoes. So far only one that fell through! What an eye-opener. Next year I will go back to my big garden. I have planted elderberries and they are mature enough that I have harvested from them the past 2 years. Our pear trees gave us enough to can 2 years ago (this year it has been to hot and dry.) I have not gone through our timber land but I feel there are more things I can forage back there. It is protected from herbicides so we can eat what we gather.
    Farmer is mechanically minded and has hunted in the past. I can sew, bake, crochet so could barter my skills. We also have grass and alfalfa hay and could barter the extra we don't need for the cattle. Our neighbors have horses should we need emergency transportation. Our rural neighborhood is diverse and most could contribute to others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts