Laine's Letters. Practice, Practice, Practice.


Look how this little nest is made and cared for !  πŸ’—

 Dear Sisters,


It all started with the living room so many years ago. One of Abbie's friends had spent the night when Abbie was a teenager. They had watched a movie and had popcorn in the living room. Some of the boys' friends had shown up, so the living room was pretty disheveled by the next day. As I did every morning, I whipped through the room putting everything back to its tidy appearance. Later on, Abbie told me that her friend was amazed how fast I got the living room back in order. She said, "I like the way your mom cleans the living room so fast!" What she didn't know was that I had been practicing! I was determined to get my living room all clean and tidied in under five minutes. I kept reconfiguring it so that it was easier and faster to do that.

My definition of reconfiguring: putting something somewhere where it makes sense or removing it entirely.

I  practiced my method by setting a timer and flying through as fast as I could day after day. (I learned the timer method from the Flylady and got my heart rate up in the process as well.) After many months of practice, cleaning the living room became one of my easier jobs. I always did it first thing early in the morning, and I still do, because I am so quickly gratified. I have soft covers on my two couches and slouchy, comfy chair, so I quickly smooth out all the covers. Then I open the drapes and gather up any cups, yarn that Lucy may have used  for crocheting, socks, slippers, books, toys from the grandkids, and just about anything else that doesn't belong in there. I wipe down the small table and chairs, the desk, and the coffee table. Then I put the throw pillows back on the couch and the remote for the tv back in its spot. Fold any blankets. Do a quick dusting. And if needed, a quick vacuum with my mini vac. 

Once I got the living room in good practice, I decided the bathroom would be my next goal. Under five minutes. I kept practicing and practicing. It takes me approximately four minutes now to clean our one bathroom each day. First, I put toothbrushes, combs, razor, brushes, and facial soap back in the drawers or cabinets where they go. I hang all the towels neatly on their hooks. I spray the counter, sink, toilet, and mirror with a cleansing spray. I grab up any dirty clothes to the laundry basket. Then I do a quick wipe down on everything I just sprayed. Lastly, I scrub the toilet. Then I swing the shower curtain shut after a quick swipe in there. Mini vac small carpet if needed. 

The next room I worked on was my bedroom. I had to reconfigure things in there as well to get it clean in under five minutes. I kept practicing and practicing until I got it right. The first thing I do in there is to put everything away on top of our night stands. Next, I pick up any dirty clothes and put away any pyjamas. I take any cups or water bottles to the kitchen. Then I make our bed ~ European hotel style. Our bed has two feather comforters with soft covers and lots of feather pillows. I make everything as pretty as I can with five decorative pillows in front of the feather ones while turning down the feather comforters so the soft sheet shows. (Which also makes it more inviting to get into in the evening.) Then I do a quick dusting of our dressers and night stands. 

Lucy's room was a challenge. But I finally figured out a system. She didn't like it at first, because it involved a lot of reconfiguring. Lucy didn't want to reconfigure. But I had a living room, a bathroom, and a master bedroom under my hat in under fifteen minutes flat! I was sure we could win her room over as well. First, I did a massive clean up of this room with Lucy - every drawer, nook, and cranny. We went through it all. All the things she kept had to have a place, and everything had to be in its place. Legos, shells, yarn, dolls, jewelry, books, shoes, crafts, drawings, photos, and clothes all in logical, easy-to-access places. The system starts when I wake her up at 6:15 am every morning, after I  open her curtains and tell her it's going to be a beautiful day in the neighborhood 😊; I do a quick tidy putting things back quickly where they go and grabbing up any dirty clothes. I direct her as to what she needs to put away, too. She gets up and lets the dogs out, then she goes back and makes her bed all pretty with her favorite stuffed animals and finishes tidying the room. 

I have another bedroom that used to be our boys' room. We have converted that room to our antique/guest room. Since I only use it when the grandkids spend the night, it is tidy. So no need for a timer in this room!

My husband turned our front porch into a lovely room. It is one of my favorite rooms in the house. It is flanked by two bookshelves on each side of the room which holds all our wonderful books. We love to read in there on the comfy couch or overstuffed chair, especially in the winter as it's so sunny and warm. It is also a favorite place for Lucy and the grandkids to play with the Legos. Since I reconfigured this room, especially the Lego and toy area, I can tidy it in five minutes or less just by putting toys and books back where they go.

Now here is the big one. The one I saved last to conquer.  It is the most difficult room for me to clean fast in the whole house. And it requires cleaning and tidying two or three times a day. So it's a very important room to win over.

The kitchen.

I needed a lot of practice in here. A lot of practice! And so much reconfiguring. So much reconfiguring! But I kept at it. In the sweat of the summer, I kept at it. The most important reconfiguring I had to do in the kitchen was clearing my kitchen counters and other flat spaces. Nothing is kept on my kitchen counters. Rather everything I need is kept in the cupboards or drawers. Nothing is kept on my kitchen table. Nothing is kept on my chopping block. Nothing is kept on my butler table except two lamps on each end. Nothing is kept on the small chest of drawers between our two recliners except a small lamp. 

 Now this is the fun part which happens after dinner.

Since nothing is kept on all those flat spaces, I have only to put everything back in its place as I now have a place for everything. I set the timer. At first I set the timer for fifteen or twenty minutes. It took awhile to hone my skills, but now I can set the timer for ten minutes. This includes washing the dishes. The goal is to beat the timer. I don't have a dishwasher, so I wash my dishes by hand. While they are drip drying I quickly tidy up the table, the counters, the chopping block, and the butler table by putting everything away that is on top of them. I wipe down the table, the stove, the counters, inside the fridge a bit, and the chopping block. If I need to sweep or mini vacuum, I quickly do that. I put away any toys on the floor back into the toy basket. I return shoes or books to their rooms. Then I put away the dishes. 

The kitchen is the gold medal room. I never thought I could be fast at tidying this room daily because it is the most used room in the house. We homeschool in here. We congregate and chat in here. We cook three times a day and eat in here. The grandkids next door daily play in here.  It is a much loved and lived in room. But after practicing and practicing, this room is now easy for me to clean as well. And I love cleared counters for my cooking and baking. My daughter and my mom have adopted my kitchen cleaning strategy. They both have very small kitchens, and they are amazed how well it works even in their kitchens.

I don't use the timer daily anymore, except sometimes in the kitchen. Like this morning. The timer is so motivating. I am practiced in all my rooms, but I still need to strengthen my kitchen muscle. 😊

So why would I want to practice this method of cleaning and tidying? There are so many reasons. First, it frees me up to do a myriad of other things in my day including homeschooling. Also if I am feeling under the weather or have a busy day planned, I know I can clean almost every room in about 5 minutes, so it motivates me to get it done first thing in the morning. It is also my early morning workout. I get my blood pumping really fast as I whip around each room getting it all clean and tidy. If someone is dropping by, and we've been relaxing, I can jump up and tidy a room in under five minutes from all the practice I've had. Sometimes before they've even knocked on the door! (This happened last week when my husband's coworker stopped by.)  It also helps me to keep my house more streamlined.  I love going food shopping and coming home to a clean and tidy house. I also love having more time with my family because I am quickly done cleaning. And, lastly, it gives me peace knowing I have a five minute cleaning plan for pretty much every room in my house. I would have never believed it possible.

It sure takes practice, practice, practice.

Love,
Laine

 

Comments

  1. Laine's Letters are the breathe of fresh air we need during this pandemic! I am so grateful for these updates. Laine brought hope and peace to my life as a young mother at home with babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great advice, Laine! I have sure missed your letters! I’m glad you are writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for another inspiring letter. I love to learn quick and easy methods to keep my house clean and cozy, so that I can spend more time with my husband or doing things that I enjoy, knowing that if anyone pops up, my house will be in order.
    Have a blessed week, Laine and Annabel!

    PS - I'm sorry for my long comment on your previous post, but I just needed to vent. God bless you Laine and please, keep inspiring us with God's inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lot of great tips!
    I tend to clean as I see things - a spill, something out of place or dusty. I live by myself so it's much easier for me.
    Before going to bed I tidy things away in the living room, make sure all the dishes and pots & pans are washed (sometimes put away - sometimes left to dry overnight). Then I lay out my clothes for the next day, pack my tote bag and leave the garbage & recycling by the door to take out as I leave in the morning. It's good to have a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed this letter! Thank you!! Have read all your letters and always enjoyed you years ago!! I have 12 grandkids that love nearby-We love it!! We’re also investigating retirement and all it entails-doesn’t seem possible how fast time flies! Wondering how you are managing food prices , food storage your food budget etc. We grow and can and dehydrate a lot of our food but it’s always nice to hear others ideas!! So happy you are writing again!❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVED this post, Laine (and thank you Annabel for being the new platform for our beloved Laine!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I clean like this all the time - the whole house can be done from ceiling to floors, windows wiped over, in under an hour. The first time it took ages, now it's a few minutes in each room. For me the secrets are to stick to the routine, and move! Don't stop or get sidetracked, just stick to the plan and keep moving. Around 15 minutes each morning is more than enough to keep everything shipshape and sparkling. Getting in the habit of tidying and putting things away when you've finished with them makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to have you back writing! I’ve loved your letters and “In My Home” writings since the beginning! I am 60 and have 12 grandchildren that live nearby-they are a joy to our hearts.Hubby is retiring in the next 18 months or so and like you we are investigating all the things concerning it-like going back to school againπŸ˜ƒ.Wondering how you’ve been handling your food budget and rising prices? I remember it being a big part of your letters and was motivating! Thank you again !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, so inspiring! I use some of the Flylady's tools like the timer, but never got proficient at much of anything else. I need to practice like you! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. How motivating. Five minutes per room...challenge accepted...I’ll start my training first thing in the morning 😊

    God bless you πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I just LOVE Laine's letters!
    I would love to see photos with her posts - because, well, don't we all love to see how others decorate and live and clean? :)
    Thank you, Laine, for your wonderful encouragement over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! Thank you for sharing Laine and Annabel. It is very motivating. I will have to try the timer and will keep practising until my time comes down. Very inspiring! Love Lily

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely need more practice. It takes me longer than 15 minutes to clean each room.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts