Laine's Letters. Gouter and Meal Planning.

 Dear Sisters,

For the past ten years we have lived next to one or more of our kids' families. My son Brady and his family rented my parent's house next to us on our 2 1/2 acre property. And directly next to them, Quincy and his family lived in a trailer. Then a couple of years later, Abbie and her husband moved into a 5th wheel on our property. It was not uncommon for us to have our grandkids running in and out of our house. Before my sons moved to buy their own homes six or seven years later, we had five grandchildren on our property plus Lucy. Did those kids have fun! We women had such camaraderie. All of us shared one washer, too! Presently, we have Abbie's three little girls living next door. I am so thankful to have lived next to my grandchildren. And to be still living next to three of them and in close proximity to the rest. Thank you, LORD, for Your indescribable mercies!

"Yes, you shall see your children's children, and peace upon Israel." Psalm 128:6

It is so great to see your children's children!

The older grandkids loved to be over at dinner time as soon as their grandfather walked through the kitchen door. They would hide and shout to him as he walked in at 3:30 pm which is when we ate our dinner. We had a tradition with them. Since it was so early before their own dinner, they could have a "gouter" with us; which is a French word meaning "a taste of something". (I am part French, which is why I think I love cooking so much.)🙂They loved having a gouter at our table, and we loved conversing with them 
about their day. They would ask their grandfather about fishing from a lake when he was a kid. They loved to hear the stories of his childhood. I often thought they were amazed that he was a kid once upon a time.

"Your wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of your house; your children like olive plants around your table." Psalm 128:3

I learned something many years ago that has served me well. My husband, Art, wants to eat dinner the minute he walks through our kitchen door. Which is at 3:30 pm. Pretty much every day I start cooking dinner at 2:30 pm, unless it's a crock pot meal. When Art walks in the door, everything is hot and ready for him. He says he is spoiled, and that he likes being spoiled. I love spoiling him! But in the first years of my marriage, I would have my meat still frozen and unsure what I was making a couple of hours before he came home.

 Frozen meat. It didn't make for peace. 

I was always worrying about it in my mind, and then throwing something slap dash together at the last minute because I had forgot to thaw the meat. Now I pull the beef, lamb, chicken, or fish out to thaw, and I know this sounds crazy, but I am not sure what I will even cook with it. The important thing is that it is thawed!

I love a peaceful home. And having my husband's dinner ready when he walks through the door after a hard day's work is an important part of my making a peaceful home for him.  I try to have us eat nutritiously, frugally, and timely. It definitely took me awhile to figure all that out.🙂 

"You shall eat the labor of your hands; happy shall you be, and it shall be well with you." Psalm 128:2

I think some of our happiest times have been around the table sharing a delicious meal.

The other thing I've learned over the years is not telling my husband what we are having for dinner. When we were younger he would ask me in the morning or on a call at lunch saying, "What's for dinner?"  I would say this or that, then I would change my mind later on in the day. Well, he would tell me he was looking forward to that "this or that" meal, and now we had something else on the table. So now he knows I'm just going to say, "It's a surprise!" Honestly, it still is to me many days. I've learned that is just how I roll. I food shop the same way, but that's another letter.🙂

 I have tried so many meal preparation plans in my almost 40 years of marriage. I wish I could give you a tried and true meal preparation plan, but I cannot. I guess I am a Meal Unplanner. I can change my mind several times a day as to what we're going to have for dinner. Basically, I make sure some sort of meat is thawed, then I decide at some time of the day before 2:30 pm what I am making with it. Sometimes right before I make it! I am a recipe collector, so I just pull one of my recipes for that particular meat and then make it. I also love to try new recipes and switch up ingredients depending on what I have on hand, Yesterday, for example, I had half a rump roast left. I made this meal in the Instant Pot.  ( I kind of made it up from a couple of recipes.)

IP Roast Stew

Salt half a rump roast all over and brown all sides in oil in the IP. Take out.

Chop a little onion, add handfuls of chopped celery, zucchini, rutabaga, and butternut squash. Salt a little. Sauté in a little more oil til softened a bit. Put the roast back on top of the veggies. Pour 3 c of water over the veggies with a little more salt. 

Seal and set the Instant Pot for manual at 70 min. Let pressure come down naturally. Thinly slice the beef after cooking. Serve over hot rice with the lovely broth.

Lucy loves rice. After I made the  rice, she whipped up some California rolls for her and her dad. He was so pleased when she handed him a plate with the soy sauce encircled by the California rolls. "Surprise!" 

Does that remind you of someone?

And that is kind of how my cooking goes. It's all pretty spontaneous. I might see some cabbage turning brown, so I'll whip up some sautéed cabbage and onions, which I did yesterday. Today I have three bananas going brown, so I'm going to make a gluten free banana bread that Lucy likes in the bread machine. This morning I spotted my kale in the garden getting pretty big, so I clipped all the bigger leaves off and cooked that up for breakfast with eggs. I've also spotted some green onions that I grew from the cut off ends which need trimming, so I'll use that in today's dinner - which is possibly chili or a shepherd's pie. I haven't decided which yet. 😍

Love,
Laine

P.S. It ended up being hamburgers because it was so hot today. I am such a Meal Unplanner. 🙂

Comments

  1. You have been so blessed to have your children and grandchildren so near! Ours are spread all over since we have military kids and one daughter's family are overseas missionaries. It would be wonderful to have the littles coming and going from our home. My Grandmother had supper ready at 3:30 for my Grandfather's coming home from work, too.

    I am a planner so I do meal plans and pretty much stick to them. I write them on a wall calendar and if we do not use a meal for some reason I circle it so that I know to move it down the next time I plan. I plan from what I have purchased at great prices and have on hand. At the end of this year I will hang a new calendar over this year's so that I have ideas all ready to just move forward to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very to have Laine back. I loved her old posts and was so sorry they ended. Hope she keeps posting now. Blessings, Sharon D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laine!
    My name is Paula and I'm from Portugal. I found your letters just a few years ago and I had such a thirst for the LORD'S word and ways, that I devoured them. I was so far way from Him and I needed His love so much...
    But He's so Good, that even when I wanted to stay away from Him, He always chased me with his inexplicable and tireless love and today I am so, so grateful to Him...
    God is so Good, to us.
    When I heard of your letters, some of them weren't available at the Wayback Machine, but the ones I could find, I printed and I'm puting them all in a binder. They are precious to me, because I can relate to you in so many ways... There were things you wrote many years ago, that I read and say: I do the same exact thing!
    I'm 42 years old and I'm married to my sweet husband for 23 years now. Unfortunatelly we don't have children and that is one of my heart aches. Sometimes, when I see couples with babies, my eyes tear up, because my heart hurts so much.
    When I read your letters and read all that you teached your kids and all the beautiful moments you lived with them and are now living with your grandchildren, I felt happy and sad at the same time, because I wanted my mother to have done the same to me and I wanted to have kids and do the same to them. Raised them in the Word.
    My parents house wasn't a happy one, because of several problems, so I never received many hugs or kisses and I wish my home was as happy as yours was and is. I think that's why I love to give and receive hugs so much!
    Although you don't know me, I see you as an older sister or the mother that I wished I had (although you're too young to be my mother!). Or the mother-in-law that teaches me so many things that I didn't have the chance to learn when I should have.
    I love my mother-in-law and I try so hard to please her, but although I know she likes me, she has a daughter with children that she favors, so because we live farther and have no children, I'm always in second place. And having people in my family bragging that they can conceive easily, sometimes takes my self-esteem to the ground and makes me want to cry. Sometimes I fell like Hanna, Samuel's mothers.
    I think that because of the lack of a motherly model in some ways, I'm always searching for an older woman, like the Bible says, to teach me and "adopt" me.
    Because I don't have one, I guess I adopted you and your letters as my role model for the Proverbs 31 woman. I hope you don't mind!
    I wish I could write you and "talk" to you more and I hope you keep writing here more often.
    I know I already said this, but God is GOOD! I've been thinking how I could one day tell you all that you've made for my spiritual life and our LORD guided me here. Wow!
    I hope your health has improved and please know that I'm praying for you, for your husband and all your family.
    I'm sorry for any mistakes, but I'm trying to improve my english. :)
    God bless you, my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paula,
      I'm not Laine, but I read your lovely letter to her and am so touched. I'm so sorry children haven't been part of God's plan, but I admire your willingness to spread that love around where and as you can. People can often be thoughtless and self-centered in their speech (and it's getting worse), but the good God sees, hears, and feels everything you go through and He will never stop filling your heart with His love.
      If you're ever interested in exchanging postal mail with a pen friend, I would happily reply. Your English is wonderful, by the way.
      In Christ's love,
      Shani x

      Delete
    2. Dear Shani, Thank you for your kind reply to Paula. That was just lovely. Shani my heart goes out to you. God uses us in so many ways for great things. Also He has provided Laine with the prompt to write again and here you are needing an older woman to help you!
      Shani also I dont know if you have considered adoption? Laine's family... the three boys and Abbie are all grown and married all with children. But Laine and Art adopted Lucy from China and she is home and Laine homeschools here. So some quick maths tell me Laine must have been at least in her mid 40s when they adopted Lucy. I will ask her this. I think your English is very good by the way! With love, Annabel.xxx

      Delete
    3. Hi, Shani and Annabel! Thank you so much for your kind responses. You touched my heart. I know my comment was a "little" long, but I realy needed to vent. Sometimes it's hard to go through somethings, without a friend that understands what it is to want children and not be able to have them.
      Sometimes I talk to a dear friend of mine, but she's younger than me and doesn't have children yet per choice, so even if she is a sweethart and a wonderful christian woman, she can't help me much in knowing want I'm going thru.
      Shani, I would love to exchange postal mail with you! Tell me how you want to do it. I'd be honored to have a pen pall!
      And Annabel, I though of adopting but the reason we don't have children is because my husband does dialysis and at the beginning the doctors told us that if we had a baby he could be born with the same disease that made my husband's kidneys fail, so they advised us against having babies.
      Later, he did a test to see if the disease was genetic or not and thank God it wasn't, so that means that our baby wouldn't be born with that disease.
      But now he doesn't want to have a child or adopt, because he doesn't feel he would be able to acompany his son/daughter as he wished, because sometimes he doesn't feel very well, due to the dialysis treatments.
      I understand him, I really do, but my heart hurts so much because as the time passes, I see that hypothesis farther and farther away... I'm 43 now and he's 45.
      Either way, thank you for answering and for caring. I can't tell you both how that matters to me.
      As I said in my previous comment, I miss an older woman figure in my life. I ask so many times to the LORD that He may put an older christian woman in my path, to whom I can ask advice or just talk...
      I know He is Good and that He will never stop filling my heart with His love, like Sani said.
      Have a blessed week, Shani and Annabel!

      Delete
  4. Dear Annabel, thankyou so much for posting Laine's letters. Dear Laine, I really LOVED this post and reading about your family. No matter how or what I try I cannot seem to meal plan at all. I put myself under pressure trying and feel really bad I can't seem to do it. Reading your letter I realize, I do much the same as you, provided I put thought into it early in the day. I still get caught out a few times a week and it gets too late. Maybe I can accept the meal unplanning but also have a few meals already done up in freezer for when time runs away from me. Love Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to read a letter from Laine again.!
    I wasn't part of the email group years ago, but I found Laine's letters when my children were small, and they were an encouragement to me.
    How wonderful to be a part of your grandchildren's daily lives. I'm sure those conversations around the table have been a blessing to them and to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved hearing from you Laine!
    Reader from the nineties,
    Laura Lane
    Carthage, Missouri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts