Laine's Letters. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

Dear Sisters,
Hi! It is so good to come for a visit with you today.  For those of you who don't know me, my name is Laine. I used to write letters to encourage women in their homemaking many years ago when my four children, Quincy, Brady, Abbie, and Gabe were at home with us. Now those four children of ours are all grown up, married, and have given us 11 grandchildren with two more on the way. Presently they all live close by, so to say we are blessed is beyond words. When we started having our first grandchildren, we adopted a little eleven month old girl from China named Lucy. We waited over five years for her, and she was definitely worth the wait! Lucy is now eleven years old and in the 6th grade. I homeschool her, which I did as well for my other children. My husband, Art and I, are coming up on 40 years of marriage. I'm so thankful for him and our family. He is my beautiful man and has given me five beautiful kids, who have blessed us with our beautiful grandchildren. We have such wonderful daughter-in-laws and a wonderful son-in-law, too, who are all beautiful. We are so close to all of them. We are truly blessed beyond measure. When you love someone, are they not just beautiful!❤️

"Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD; and the fruit of the womb is His reward."
Psalm 127:3

I can't remember why I stopped writing all those years ago. I know health issues crept up, and I needed an hysterectomy. Then I developed a bladder condition soon after called Interstitial Cystitis, which caused me no shortage of crazy symptoms and severe pain. I found out about this condition three months before we traveled to China to get Lucy. Lucy had digestive issues that we had to unravel when we got back home, on top of my own health problems. So, needless to say, life got a bit busy for awhile as I had a new baby and a host of new health issues for me and her. Lucy is on a gluten free diet and is perfectly fine as long as she doesn't have gluten. I have been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for over six years to help with my condition. All those recipes I shared so many years ago look a bit different now, but I still strive to make delicious food for my family despite our different diets. 

I'm going to try to share a letter here and there as I can. There is so much going on in the world and in our country that can be very unsettling. But this one constant thing in my life, that I shared so many years ago, is still my daily habit. And that is rising early in the morning and spending time with the LORD in His Word before starting my day. Sitting at His Feet and hearing Him speak through His beautiful Word, and then speaking back to Him in prayer does more for my heart and soul than anything else in the day. I often pray after I sit with Him that I might enjoy this new day in His love, in His joy, in His peace, and in His Presence. No matter what the day holds I want to walk with Him and through Him in it. 

Jesus is so, so beautiful!❤️ His Word is priceless.

The Law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. " Psalm 19:7

"And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' Feet, and heard His Word." 

"But one thing is needful, and Mary has chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."  Luke 10:39 & 42

As Jesus said, hearing His Word is so needful. It's a choice I've made for the past 28 years, and I'm always very grateful for that good part.

Today I made one of my favorite, frugal soups. I thought I would share the recipe with you. It's really quite easy, and I learned it from my doctor so many years ago.

Dr. B's Soup

2 T. Diced onion
1/2 to 3/4 c chopped celery
1  or 2 medium zucchini chopped
Sauté in olive oil til soft, about 4 minutes. Add in a bag of frozen broccoli. Pour water in to just cover vegetables. 
1 t. Salt or to taste
1 t. Basil
1 t. Oregano
 1 t. Thyme
Add and cover, bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. Use a stick blender and purée until smooth. Serve with a a bit of extra virgin olive oil poured over the top. Sometimes, I put some cooked chicken, or cooked beef, or a cooked egg in it. I also sometimes add some cooked navy beans. It's very versatile!

Lucy asked me today what was my favorite thing about being a homemaker. (She often asks me these thoughtful questions.) I told her I love making our home cozy and soft so when everyone comes home they feel peace. She replied, "But only dad comes home." I want him to feel that when he comes home, I told her. And I mentioned that all her siblings used to come home from work or college when they got older, and that one day she will, too; and that is my goal for her to feel peace when she comes home. Why? Because it's crazy out there! But here we have peace, and we get away from it all. I love how my grandkids want to stay over all the time. I hope they feel that peace in our home when they come over, because it's something that I've really tried to create for them and for anyone else who "comes home."

I hope you are having a lovely week. I am so enjoying homeschooling with Lucy, cooking more soups as we head out of summer and into fall, decluttering a bit, finishing up the building of my pantry for the winter and organizing things in there, learning how social security works while taking many notes as we head into retirement in a couple years, making a gift box for one of my sons who is away from home right now, having my grandkids over and making them macaroni and cheese, and having a visit from my daughter-in-law (whose husband is the one away) and making her fresh gluten free bread. I am also praying and praying for our nation with this election, and for our state as we go into another Covid lockdown this weekend.

 It's been a blessed week with my LORD. 

Love,
Laine

"I will love Thee, O LORD, my strength." Psalm 18:1

Can I say it again? He is so beautiful!♥️

Comments

  1. Oh!!! What a beautiful letter, Laine! I have learned so much from you and know I and others will continue to benefit from your beautiful, encouraging words of wisdom. Words can't express what a treasure you truly are. Continued blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to see this today. I've read many of your letters through links from other bloggers and always appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laine, you have encouraged me to wake up with Jesus! I go to sleep with Him--which is great after a hard day--but now I am wondering if my days would be easier if I woke up with Him. This is going to be interesting...and fun, too!

    Both of my children were adopted 42 and 44 years ago in Colombia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I meant to add, I have interstitial cystitis, too, and it is NOT fun. The low acid diet seems to help the most. For the uninitiated, we have the same symptoms as a UTI but there really isn't any treatment. We just have to wait for it to settle down on its own. Which typically takes weeks, but can take months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to see this Miss Laine. I've missed your gentle voice on the internet all these years, as I've thought of you and wondered where you were in life. If you start up your blog again, I hope you will share the address with Annabelle here so we can subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laine, I also suffered from IC for years. Low Acid diet helped but my saving grace was D-Mannose. I use the powdered form, 1-2 teaspoons in water morning and night everyday. Flare-ups I use 1-2 TBSP 3-4 times a day and then wean down. I haven't had my bladder scraped in years which at one point I was doing 3 times a year.

    Annabelle, You're one of my favs. I read all the comments, it helps during these trying times. I had Covid and then my son was diagnosed with testicular cancer. He's 29, not married or children. He had surgery Wednesday and we're waiting to hear back what stage his cancer is. I can't imagine my life without him. Who would have thought last year at this time we'd be facing such trying times going forward. I hope you're family is doing well after your Dad's passing. Those grandbabies are adorable, you're very lucky to have them. May everyone be well during the holiday season! Hugs to All, Patti Ann, (USA).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I am so sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. I don't know if you believe in prayer but if you don't mind I will add him to my prayer list and also will add you. Praying for a complete recovery and for strength for you both during this difficult time. Blessings, Pam.

      Delete
    2. Dear Patti,
      I am so sorry about your sons diagnosis and pray he will beat this! I do know someone who had this at a young age and they have recovered and are fine now. But it was a terrible scare and a terrible time. I will pray your son has the same good results. Would you let me know how things are when more results come in? With love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  7. Laine, it is so good to hear from you! I followed you long ago when I, too, was a stay at home homeschooling homemaking mama. I will thoroughly enjoy you regular visits with us😊! Have a blessed day ladies
    -Kath

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Laine and so wonderful to hear from you :) .

    I love your perspective on making a house feel like a home being cosy, soft and therefor inviting for all that visit.

    Starting your morning with spending time with the Lord and following the spirits guidance in our life is one of the constants in our life that we can rely on in times of uncertainty.

    Have a great week ahead :) .

    Sewingcreations15 (Lorna).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, My daughter just asked me how to make the granola bars I used to make for them they were young. I got the recipe from you when I was a young homemaker. I decided to look up Laine's letters and see if you were still writing. It meant so much to read your letters many years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts